View Full Version : Welcome To The ADD Forums Get Fit Club!

Pages : [1] 2 3

mADD mike
08-17-08, 06:12 PM
Hello,

I'd like to welcome anyone that wants to join us in getting fit. Exercise is more than just keeping or getting your body into a healthy state, it also releases dopamine, something we ADDers often need in our brain chemistry. This group is created to assist and encourage one another to get fit and/or lose weight. We will be posting our weight gains and losses, along with listing the days that we've exercised above and beyond the regular daily grind of life. Losing weight is great, but exercise is important regardless, even if we don't have weight to lose.

So, tell others, and join in with us in getting fit.

Below are the rules for the group.

mADD mike
08-17-08, 06:14 PM
ADD Forums Get Fit Rules

1. Weight changes must be posted each Friday. We don't need to know your current or starting weight, just post a + or - and number of pounds gained or lost. If you stayed the same, just put a zero.

2. Please list the days that you exercised above and beyond what you normally would. Regular work that you do around the house, or work that you do secularly, doesn't count. We are looking to encourage one another to work out more than we normally would, after all, it is our current situation that is a result of the work we currently do, so we all need some extra attention to exercise.

A typical post on Friday might look like this:

mADD mike
-1 for the week
Worked out: M,Th, F, Su

See, it doesn't have to be anything complicated. You can abbreviate as you wish, and you're welcome to tell the story of your week as well in your post. Let us know what you had to overcome, what you liked, something that worked for you, or whatever you like.

3. Everyone starts with a black medal in their signature for being part of this group. You stay in this group, and advance in medals, not with weight loss, but with exercise. We want to know that you are working to get fit. Of course, losing weight should come with it, but even those that are their ideal weight can benefit from exercise, especially as ADDers. We don't want to discourage anyone from joining that wants to join just because they don't need to lose weight. Some of us do, some don't, but we all need exercise regardless.

So, if you fail to report on Friday or to exercise for 2 consecutive weeks you are still welcome to work with us, but your medal will go back to the black medal. If you can't post on Friday because you are out of town, or just forget, just post sometime during the week and I'll look for it, but try to post on Fridays to make it easier on me to keep track. We hope to encourage one another to be persistent, even if just one day a week, and to report so as to encourage others.

Medals, based on you reporting exercise on Fridays, will go as follows:

First 2 weeks = Black
2-4 weeks = Green
5-8 weeks = Blue
9-12 weeks = Bronze
13-16 weeks = Silver
24 weeks+ = Gold

I'll work on something really special for a year, but let's start here to kick things off.

Here is the url to your black medal to kick things off.
To make it work correctly, do the following:

1. Click on the following link for the medal.
2. Copy the full url that is displayed at the top of your browser.
3. Then use that url in your signature, under option 1, and it will show correctly.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...ckMedal150.jpg (http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o99/shemwelljr/ADDGetFitBlackMedal150.jpg)

You can also put a link in your signature to this thread. By doing so, you are encouraging others to come see what we're doing and maybe they will join in too. Something like:

Come join other ADDers in getting fit!

4. This isn't a rule, but encourage others that you may know to participate. A person can join at any time they like. A person is also welcome to leave at anytime they like, and will go back to a black medal if they decide to join in again. Together we can help others to make an improvement in their health, both physically and mentally.

mADD mike
08-17-08, 06:46 PM
Now, to kick things off, our first weigh-in will be on Friday, 8/22/08.

So, go ahead and weigh yourself and we'll just have a short week to kick things off. Feel free to post as you wish in the thread and we can all keep an eye on it to encourage one another.

If you have any questions or comments about this group or idea, just send me a pm and I'll be glad to help.

20trackedmind
08-17-08, 09:28 PM
Sounds fun. So we post to this thread?

joanrdtobe
08-17-08, 09:43 PM
sounds good....i am game.....I pooped out with my exercise today.....

mADD mike
08-17-08, 09:48 PM
Sounds fun. So we post to this thread?

Yep, post right here and I'll be keeping track of things for everyone. We'll kick things off officially tomorrow. I've got my exercise plans together for tomorrow, I just hope have the energy to do anything after work. My wife and I have 3 large homes to clean tomorrow. Combining the 3 houses, we have roughly 12 bedrooms, 3 kitchens, and 10 bathrooms to clean. Add in living rooms, great rooms, play rooms, basements, etc., and we have plenty to do. Oh, and we have an office to clean first thing tomorrow morning.

So, if I can muster up the strength to exercise above and beyond that, surely others can too. You would think that I was in good shape with all the cleaning, but being tired afterward and completely sedentary, along with eating out all the time because we both work quite a bit, and you put some pounds on. Well, I do anyway, my wife, not so much.

Now that I've said all of that, I guess I have to exercise tomorrow, huh.:D

joanrdtobe
08-17-08, 10:09 PM
Yes it sounds like you've made a commitment Mike to exercise tomorrow......ME TOO......I am going to take a walk during my break at work....whether or not my co-worker wants to join me.....

Here's to exercise!

curseandablessi
08-18-08, 08:37 AM
Okay I made my own thread about what I plan to do today. I'm going to try, but I'm not giving up my Friday pizza-I'll just eat one less slice, soon to be Thursday pizza as that's going to be hubby's day to be responsible for dinner when nursing clinicals start next week, and that's my 9 hour day.

mADD mike
08-18-08, 08:55 AM
Okay I made my own thread about what I plan to do today. I'm going to try, but I'm not giving up my Friday pizza-I'll just eat one less slice, soon to be Thursday pizza as that's going to be hubby's day to be responsible for dinner when nursing clinicals start next week, and that's my 9 hour day.

C&B, don't worry about the pizza. This is about exercising, which is beneficial for us all regardless of diet. I'm certainly not discouraging eating better, and I myself intend to try to do so. That is a huge downfall for me in losing weight, but if I didn't change my diet and still worked out, it is progress, and some shots of dopamine for me. So, I'm still better off just exercising. Don't think you're the only one to eat some pizza. I'm an addict to pizza, and Italian food in general, though I'll try to do better.

justcallmedorie
08-18-08, 09:25 AM
Ok, sooo, I am working the Couch to 5K program, and this is my 5th week. I plan on hitting the pavement around 5:30 in the morning (dog in tow). I hope to walk/run Tuesday through Friday of this week, weather permitting and by the end of the week I should be up to running 20 minutes without stopping. Ho ho ho, we'll see. Tomorrow is warmup walk for 5 min, run 5 min, walk 3 min, run/walk for two more "sets" then cooldown for 5 min. The next day will be warmup walk for 5 min, run 8 min, walk 5 min, run 8 min, then cooldown for 5 min. I plan to do that for 2 days, then Friday is the 20 minutes of running day. AAACK! I can do it, I can do it!

Just for the record, I quit smoking on May 26th and I follow a low carb way of eating.

I look forward to exercising with you guys! Thanks so much for this thread. (I really want a gold medal!!!)

amythyst
08-18-08, 12:33 PM
Sign me up! This is such a great idea and I look forward to sharing the experience and getting/giving the support we need to reach our goals.

I've been "working on" getting fit and eating right for way too long now...although I am much more active and eat healthier than I ever have I haven't made much progress in fitness or weight loss because I never stick with it long enough...I work out a week or two and then I stop for a month or two.

Grafter
08-18-08, 12:52 PM
Oh, yea. I'm in. I'll be getting a goal plan up sometime this evening.

I'm not so concerned about weight loss as I am about getting the benefits of keeping active.

I was doing pretty well until about a month ago. I'm ready to get back to it.

qhcowgirl
08-18-08, 02:26 PM
I'm in! I've been wanting to build up a habit of exercising since forever and I REALLY want to get extremely fit.

Still don't know what I'll be able to do since everything in one of my ankles got tore up and I still can't hike/run/jump rope...

Colin
08-18-08, 03:06 PM
I have gone to being fit enough to cycle around scotland in 1993, to being too tired/(sleepy) to get dresed for the last 5 years so as a result my fitness is zero.

I might get meds soon though so that wil take away the tiredness.

justcallmedorie
08-18-08, 07:41 PM
Ooh, ooh, pick me, pick me...when I got home I decided to do my Couch to 5K run/walk intervals on the treadmill so I would have them done for today (I'll do the same thing outside in the morning). I really really want a gold medal...did I mention that already-LOL?

Grafter
08-18-08, 08:35 PM
Dorie,

what is this Couch to 5k program you are on?

I have a similar program that a friend of ours set up for us that includes intervals, speed, and endurance. The idea was to get up to 5k in 3 months.

Our overall goal is a 10k. This past year the family did the fun walk.... everybody seems excited on trying for a timed jog next year.

I can post it tomorrow.

Tonight, my son and I are going on a 20 minute bike ride to the track, then jogging 20 around the track, and 20 minutes back.

Tomorrow I'll be doing the intervals.

justcallmedorie
08-18-08, 09:12 PM
Dorie,

what is this Couch to 5k program you are on?

I have a similar program that a friend of ours set up for us that includes intervals, speed, and endurance. The idea was to get up to 5k in 3 months.

Our overall goal is a 10k. This past year the family did the fun walk.... everybody seems excited on trying for a timed jog next year.

I can post it tomorrow.

Tonight, my son and I are going on a 20 minute bike ride to the track, then jogging 20 around the track, and 20 minutes back.

Tomorrow I'll be doing the intervals.

I'd like it if you would post your program as well...;o)

Couch to 5K (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) is a beginner's running program from coolrunning.com (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) aimed at getting people like me from doing nothing to running 5k in 9 weeks. I'm so thrilled that I'm able to actually do this. Back when I ran before, I wasn't NEARLY as old as I am now...{sigh}

Some guy recorded podcasts to music and timed the podcasts to let you know when to walk, when to run, etc.

Many many moons ago I ran 3 miles per day come he!! or highwater but wound up quitting for one reason or another. I've been wanting to start back and promised myself once I got under 130 I would. I did and I am. I still need to lose about 10 more pounds (more or less), but all-in-all I can live with where I am if I just add exercise into the mix.

I'm heading for bed - 4:30 comes frightfully early...

20trackedmind
08-18-08, 10:30 PM
I am so excited! It rained all day today here,so I could not get the kiddis out, but, I did my yoga for horsebackriders for about 30mins. AND...I just found out that I am getting a dog tomorrow!!!!! Yeah, I am waking up and jogging with him rain or shine at least twice a week!

Grafter
08-18-08, 10:52 PM
*jaw drops*

There's a yoga for horseback riders?

Grafter
08-18-08, 11:01 PM
Couch to 5K (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) is a beginner's running program from coolrunning.com (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) aimed at getting people like me from doing nothing to running 5k in 9 weeks.
[...]
Some guy recorded podcasts to music and timed the podcasts to let you know when to walk, when to run, etc.

Wow, there better be a podcast.... no way I'd be able to do it otherwise..... very complicated structure. But it does look like a good program.

I'd like it if you would post your program as well...;o)

I'll get it posted tomorrow. The S/O is going to ask the guy to set up a new one aimed at the 10k as well, which is the family goal.

One thing I have found when trying to stick to something that I'm making myself do, instead of just wanting to do it, is to keep it simple. The more complicated it is, the less likely it will develop into a habit.

mADD mike
08-18-08, 11:03 PM
Well, I was beat from work and didn't really feel like it, but I got out some video that I got free with another that I bought and tried it. Apparently it is 35 minutes of a guy trying to induce a heart attack. I made it through 20, and it is late, and that's good enough for me today. I would do so much better if I could just breathe, but I've never gone back to a doc to get an inhaler for asthma, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much. It should get better as I work out more.

Thanks to everyone that is posting about this. I look forward to making this idea successful and to encouraging one another to keep with it, for whatever they are able to do.

Props to everyone that worked out on this first day!

Grafter
08-18-08, 11:37 PM
Apparently it is 35 minutes of a guy trying to induce a heart attack.
Now that's funny! :D

The ride and jog were good. I like that my son is showing some interest too. It's a bit disheartening when they're complaining the entire time. The s/o got her MRI on her supposed shin splint today, we'll find out what happens with that. A lot of the initial planning on this stuff was done by her awhile back. I tagged along, but I haven't been the motivator (or even self-motivator) on actually following through on it.

But I've done enough to realize that there are definite benefits from the exercise that goes a long way in helping with my ADD. I get calmer, more focused... Doubt i could could replace the meds in my case, but it definitely helps them.

20trackedmind
08-18-08, 11:41 PM
Yes, Dressage is about balance and being one with your horse. Getting a horse to do what you want with very suptle cues. Takes way more core strength than people realise. But, today I did yoga poses that develope and improve those skills like tree pose, chair pose, eagle pose etc... When I started taking dressage lessons, I lost 40 lbs in 2 months without any diet changes or extra workouts. Try sitting still on a trotting horse some time.;) Actually I read somewhere that a posting trot burns as much calories as an eliptical.

*jaw drops*

There's a yoga for horseback riders?

justcallmedorie
08-19-08, 04:57 AM
Wow, there better be a podcast.... no way I'd be able to do it otherwise..... very complicated structure. But it does look like a good program.

Here you go. (http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/) I must confess I've tried the C25K several times in the past but was trying to do it without the podcasts. Heck I only just found the things 6 weeks ago. I'm gearing up to head out and repeat what I did yesterday on the treadmill. I will say this: it is MUCH more difficult on the asphalt than on the treadmill.

justcallmedorie
08-19-08, 04:58 AM
I would do so much better if I could just breathe, but I've never gone back to a doc to get an inhaler for asthma, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much. It should get better as I work out more.

Oh my, bless your heart! I can't imagine trying to work out without being able to breathe all the way down to the bottom of my lungs! I certainly hope your capacity improves (and soon!).

justcallmedorie
08-19-08, 05:01 AM
Now that's funny! :D

Yeah, what he said - I did a bit of a double-take myself. Heck, I'd like to be able to do any kind of yoga but I can't seem to follow the videos and classes here in Podunk, WV are few and far between, I usually find out about them about half-way through the schedule.

justcallmedorie
08-19-08, 06:45 AM
Oh my, somebody shut me up-LOL, following myself again. Anyhow, just wanted to report in from the C25K this morning. I went ahead and did Week 5, Day 2, warmup 5 min walk, 8 min jog, 5 min walk, 8 min jog, cooldown 5 min walk. Yeeha, done for the day!

20trackedmind
08-19-08, 09:10 AM
So it sounds like we are all off to a good start!!!!!!!! It is raining here again but I will come up with something. Yoga is nothing else. I really perfer to excersise outside. It helps my attention span to the task at hand. I sold my eliptical because usually after about 3 minutes, I would find some other urgent task to do around the house. (Most the time the task was starting me down, saying, "mom, mom, mom!". Can't wait until I get my new dog. He won't complain about going for walks_jogs with me.

I bet our excersises start to increase as we get used to it. Thanks for starting this thread!

20trackedmind
08-19-08, 09:11 AM
wow, did I sound adhd there or what..... Meds need to kick in......

mADD mike
08-19-08, 09:30 AM
Glad to see everyone chiming in and getting active. I'm also glad to see the excitement over this idea. Day one was a great start, and I'm sure it can be even better with time and we might even get more participants as time goes along. This has been fun for me already.

Oh, and I thought I'd share some of my motivation for getting fit.

1. Heart problems run in my family. My grandpa had his first major heart attack in his 30's. My mom had to go on beta blockers to help her heart out. I want to strengthen my cardiovascular system to avoid or help recover from any such problems that could occur in the future. It is kind of scary.

2. As I mentioned earlier, I've had asthma since I was a kid. Growing up somewhat poor, we didn't have insurance or ever go to doctors. I just dealt with it, until I got out on my own and went to a doctor. He gave me an inhaler, but it must not have been the right type, as it never helped. Of course, that doctor spent all of 30 seconds diagnosing me and didn't speak a word of English, but that's another story. I'm hoping to expand my lung capacity, which has never been good in my life, so that I can enjoy more activities.

3. I was the "skinny kid" growing up. It was practically my identity, as people commented on it all the time. It got really old, and I lifted weights and took supplements to try anything to gain weight. It never worked. When I married my wife, I was 6'0" and weighed 125 pounds. Man was I physically fit though. I started to gain weight and felt my best at about 180 pounds or so. However, once I turned 27 or so, my metabolism came to a screeching halt. I got into doing a more sedentary business, and depression overtook me as my undiagnosed ADD spiraled out of control, and being busy with work we have always eaten out pretty much every day at least once. It was the perfect storm of fat. I now weigh 236, and I hate it. I have a lot of muscle on my body because I work hard and have worked out here and there to try and lose at times, but the fat accumulated around my stomach area. I look like I have a beer belly and don't even drink at all, lol. It has to go, for my physical health, and for my confidence.

We all have our own motivators, I thought I would share mine to show others that may be in similar situations that they aren't alone.

20trackedmind
08-19-08, 09:48 AM
Mike, you sound like my brother. He was always so sensitive about how thin he was. I guess a boy feeling skinny is like a girl feeling fat.

Glad you thought of dong this. I always feel better about life when I am active. But, being a stay at home mom who was used to a career and adult friends to do things with, it is hard to get motivated by myself:(. I used to meet my girlfriends at the walking trails or gym but now I am lucky to make it to Wally World!

This thread puts a little bit of a social aspect to it:). Thanks!

Grafter
08-19-08, 01:18 PM
Guys & Gals,

I created a User Group (http://www.addforums.com/forums/group.php?groupid=45) we can all join.

ggal
08-19-08, 02:06 PM
Kay....I'm joining too.:)

I don't know what all I'll be adding to my swimming and walking until this leg thing is dealt with, but I'm game to add input each day.

What I'm doing now:
I'm currently swimming 2x a week (Weds and Fri): 30 minutes laps, 30 minutes aqua jogging.
I'm on Weight Watchers as well and will add my updates on Wednesday--the day I weigh in.
Also, I just joined the 10,000 steps a day program at work, so starting on Aug. 25th, I'll be logging in my steps as well--it's an 8 week program starting next Mon.

I go back to the dr for the MRI reading tomorrow morning in regards to my "supposed shin splint". Hopefully, there will be a substantial enough finding so that I can start moving forward and healing properly. I was really bummed to stop running as I had made it to 2 and 1/8 th miles!!

At any rate, best of luck to all of you.

Grafter
08-19-08, 03:10 PM
Kay....I'm joining too.:)

Well, hello, darln'! :D

ggal
08-19-08, 03:29 PM
Well, hello, darln'! :D

Hey there.

Hey, I downloaded those C to 5k podcasts and but for the fact that it's all techno music (not my fav.), he gives vocal queues to run, walk, cool down, etc. It's really good and I can see how it would work. I'd like to try it once I get the okay to run again.

And is it just podcast rumor that he will be creating more podcasts to get up to a 10 k? I haven't read anything else about it.

justcallmedorie
08-19-08, 03:32 PM
Hey, I downloaded those C to 5k podcasts and but for the fact that it's all techno music (not my fav.), he gives vocal queues to run, walk, cool down, etc. It's really good and I can see how it would work. I'd like to try it once I get the okay to run again.I've got those and I too don't care for techno, but I don't really mind it - I'm not paying THAT much attention to the music, just the pavement, traffic, and my goofy dog so that he doesn't tangle me up and make me do a faceplant on the sidewalk/asphalt...I went to his website and can't see that he's done an update since 2006. (We ARE talking about the Robert Ullrey podcasts, right?)

ggal
08-19-08, 03:39 PM
I've got those and I too don't care for techno, but I don't really mind it - I'm not paying THAT much attention to the music, just the pavement, traffic, and my goofy dog so that he doesn't tangle me up and make me do a faceplant on the sidewalk/asphalt...I went to his website and can't see that he's done an update since 2006. (We ARE talking about the Robert Ullrey podcasts, right?)

Yeah. That's what I saw too, 2006. :( That's a bit of a bummer...not that it matters right now since I can't run.

Maybe I can get Grafter to build us a podcast for 5k to 10k!! :D

justcallmedorie
08-19-08, 03:45 PM
Yeah. That's what I saw too, 2006. :( That's a bit of a bummer...not that it matters right now since I can't run.

Maybe I can get Grafter to build us a podcast for 5k to 10k!! :D

Well, if that's a motion, I second it ;)

ggal
08-19-08, 03:52 PM
Well, if that's a motion, I second it ;)

I'm working on doubling the times for the couch to 5k...I'll swing it by my marathon friend to see if it's legit.

If so, then maybe, just maybe, Grafter can play with some songs and get it going. No promises though. I don't know if he's got a clue how to podcast something. But I'm sure, if he's interested--and that Capital 10k is just around the corner--he might just look into it.

justcallmedorie
08-19-08, 03:57 PM
I'm working on doubling the times for the couch to 5k...I'll swing it by my marathon friend to see if it's legit.

If so, then maybe, just maybe, Grafter can play with some songs and get it going. No promises though. I don't know if he's got a clue how to podcast something. But I'm sure, if he's interested--and that Capital 10k is just around the corner--he might just look into it.

Awesome, I've thought about going up to 10k, although by the time I get to 5k I just might change my mind...

BTW, why is your Medal icon smaller than mine? Mine seems WAY too big and I'd like to be able to make it a little smaller...;o)

ggal
08-19-08, 04:08 PM
Awesome, I've thought about going up to 10k, although by the time I get to 5k I just might change my mind...

BTW, why is your Medal icon smaller than mine? Mine seems WAY too big and I'd like to be able to make it a little smaller...;o)

I have no idea why it's smaller. I was unable to simply cut and paste url MaddMike gave out into Option 1. I copied and pasted the link MaddMike posted into my browser which brought it up on a big empty page all by its lonesome--and--that somehow changed the url. Then, I copied and pasted the NEW url I got into the Option 1.

I couldn't figure out any other way to get the medal there.:confused:

mADD mike
08-19-08, 08:41 PM
For those of you having issues with the size of the medal, there is a problem with the url to the medal on my initial post for it. I had originally written everything out on wordpad, then pasted it on here for you guys. I noticed that a lot of formatting went by the wayside, but all I really noticed was that paragraphs disappeared and I had to redo them all. Apparently the url for the medal got messed up too.

The correct url is apparently too long to be displayed on here. That is really strange. It keep shortening it, and then it doesn't work when you put it into the option 1 because it is messing up the url.

So, if you want the correct url to the medal, just send me a pm and I'll send you the correct url. I apparently can't put it on here for some reason. For subsequent medals that you reach in the future, I'll just be sending you a pm with the url as you achieve them.

Sorry for the strange error, but it apparently with the formatting on the site. Again, pm me for the correct url to put in your sig so that you can get a medal the same size as mine.

Grafter
08-19-08, 08:45 PM
PM me the link, Ill see if I can get it fixed. :D

mADD mike
08-19-08, 08:50 PM
PM me the link, Ill see if I can get it fixed. :D

Well, it turns out that I can't pm it either. I was going to send it to Dorie so that she would have the correct one, but I previewed it before sending and it shortened it again.

To make it work correctly, do the following:

1. Click on the link in my original post by at the beginning for the medal.
2. Copy the full url that is displayed at the top of your browser.
3. Then use that url in your signature, under option 1, and it will show correctly.

Sorry for all the confusion. That is really strange.

Grafter, if you can help in any way, that's appreciated. It would actually be helpful if you could put the three steps above with the link for the medal in my original post. In the future, I'll just include these new instructions when pming medal urls to people as they achieve them. I can't edit my original post on here about it, I'm guessing because it is a sticky.

Grafter
08-19-08, 09:04 PM
Grafter, if you can help in any way, that's appreciated. It would actually be helpful if you could put the three steps above with the link for the medal in my original post. In the future, I'll just include these new instructions when pming medal urls to people as they achieve them. I can't edit my original post on here about it, I'm guessing because it is a sticky.

Try that.

mADD mike
08-19-08, 09:10 PM
Thanks Grafter! That is much better, and should work great. You da man.

Grafter
08-19-08, 09:41 PM
Thanks Grafter! That is much better, and should work great. You da man.

No problem, dood. http://www.addforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=232&pictureid=2270

Grafter
08-19-08, 09:59 PM
I was considering incorporating this into another stickied thread, but I'm also a bit impatient and going to get posted in here for now.

This is the schedule ggal and I were following up to her injury & my sudden lack of personal motivation. Below the chart is the explanation of terms.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=232&pictureid=2305

Start each run with a 5 minute easy warm up. Do NOT stretch.
End each run with a 5 minute easy cool down walk. Stretch.
*Intervals

Hard = Run at 80%-90% effort. You should not be able to carry on a conversation.
Easy = Active recovery at 60% effort.

Tempo

Run at 75% effort.
You should be able to carry on a conversation, but just barely, and only by breathing hard.

Endurance

Run at 65% effort.
You should be able to carry on a conversation fairly easily.

Grafter
08-19-08, 10:42 PM
Tonight's exercise was a bike ride with son to the track. I'm starting the schedule at Week 5 Interval. Completed the 10 minutes, and wrapped up with more bike riding around the neighborhood.

20trackedmind
08-19-08, 10:47 PM
Can someone explain the chart???? I am confused by the intervals? Do I just run 1 minute at a time? Seems short. OK I feel dumb now!

20trackedmind
08-19-08, 10:49 PM
Never mind I think I have it. So, for week five I would run 2 min hard then 3 minutes of recovery then repeat. I think I might try this. Got my walking buddy, Reksi (Finnish for REX). He will work out great because he does not understand English and in my case that is a good thing. So we are off, rain or shine in the AM.

ggal
08-19-08, 11:06 PM
Can someone explain the chart???? I am confused by the intervals? Do I just run 1 minute at a time? Seems short. OK I feel dumb now!

This chart really really worked for me, and trust me... there's not much getting this load to get off her feet and move, so if I can do it anyone can.

Day one of week one goes like this: You will be running a total of 8 minutes. You will run the first minute really hard (80-90 % effort) then 3 minutes easy (60% effort) then another minute really hard (80-90 % effort) then 3 more minutes easy (60% effort).

And keep in mind that one person's 60% effort is another person's 90% effort. That's the hard part that I took a while to understand. Jogging for me at my weight is a MAJOR effort, but I'm far slower than my marathon friend's 90% effort.

I was extremely proud of a 14 minute mile. That's movin' and shakin' for me! My friend puts in 9-10 minute miles. I can't do that...at least not yet.

20trackedmind
08-19-08, 11:10 PM
Thanks. I think I could actually stick to this. It really mixes it up:) and not a bunch of running & running & running ...ugh:rolleyes:!

mADD mike
08-19-08, 11:14 PM
Hey ggal, I hope your shin splints, if that is what they are, get treated and heal. I have them, or at least I think I do from everyone I've talked to or research that I've done. No insurance here, so I'm not paying for MRI's to tell me my shins feel like they will explode with pain when running. Too many years of basketball, and I most likely broke both arches when I was a kid because they both turned black as could be and hurt. All of that contributes to shin splints. My foot is over-pronated, I think, I can't remember now, but I went out and bought some special Asics to help. They definitely give good structure to the arch. I just have been a little scared to go out and give them a real good workout because shin splints HURT, and mine usually hurt for days at a time.

You know, I had a blast playing sports pretty much every day as a kid, up until I was probably 20, but it sure did catch up with me as I got older. I'm just 31 now, but I feel old a lot of days. Getting in shape should help though.

I got my workout in, just a little cardio and some push-ups with the perfect push up. Work has got me beat, but I've got no cleaning to do tomorrow, so I'll be able to get a real good workout in then and have time to recuperate. If my dad gets off work early enough, we'll go fishing too. Does casting a line out count as exercise?

ggal
08-19-08, 11:18 PM
Thanks. I think I could actually stick to this. It really mixes it up:) and not a bunch of running & running & running ...ugh:rolleyes:!

Oh no...it's ALL running and running and running!! LOL

Your slow effort should be some form of running be it jogging, OR if your fast first minute is jog, then your next three s/b extremely fast walking.

See, the goal of this whole chart was for my step-daughter to be able to run 3 miles by the end of summer. I got to 2 and 1/8th mile before something happened to my leg. I've NEVER ran 2 miles EVER!! I can now say that I have!! So...if you stick to it, as hard as it was at times, you can do it.

Grafter
08-19-08, 11:27 PM
Does casting a line out count as exercise?

Only if you land a Marlin. :D

20trackedmind
08-19-08, 11:30 PM
OK, got it! What I ment was that it is not run 45 minutes 4 times a week kind of deal. I can stick to that for about one week then I get bored. This changes it up and seems more goal oriented. I like that. I am going to add it to my weekly excercise routine.Oh no...it's ALL running and running and running!! LOL

Your slow effort should be some form of running be it jogging, OR if your fast first minute is jog, then your next three s/b extremely fast walking.

See, the goal of this whole chart was for my step-daughter to be able to run 3 miles by the end of summer. I got to 2 and 1/8th mile before something happened to my leg. I've NEVER ran 2 miles EVER!! I can now say that I have!! So...if you stick to it, as hard as it was at times, you can do it.

ggal
08-19-08, 11:32 PM
Hey ggal, I hope your shin splints, if that is what they are, get treated and heal.

Thanks. I was really really frustrated when I had to stop. It takes me so long to mentally prepare to motivate myself and then when I'm actually motivated and feeling good about myself...well...this was a bit of a letdown. I was so close to that 3 miles I could taste it! :) But c'est la vie.

I get the MRI reading tomorrow. My friends are telling me that since it still hurts even after taking steroids and anti-inflamatories, it's probably not shin splints...they're thinking some kind of tear or rip or something. Well, I'll find out at 9 am tomorrow!! Can't wait.

I would totally flip out if my insoles turned black!! Holy Jesus!! That is all sorts of scary.

mADD mike
08-19-08, 11:39 PM
I would totally flip out if my insoles turned black!! Holy Jesus!! That is all sorts of scary.

Yeah, I was in the back yard playing kickball with friends. I kicked the ball, planted my foot to run to first base, and POP! That was the right foot, I did the left one playing basketball. In both cases the arch turned black.

My parents were the type that weren't taking us to the doctor unless bones were protruding and bleeding was profuse. Thankfully that never happend, so I guess I can only suggest that they would have taken us then. I guess I can't blame them too much though, we didn't have much money and going to the doctor, even some sort of clinic, wasn't happening. It would have at least been nice if they acted like they cared, usually they teased the person that was hurt at the time. I think they thought they were making it better if they made us laugh, but that really didn't help so much.

justcallmedorie
08-20-08, 06:44 AM
Got my run in - woohoo, I warmed up for 5 minutes, ran for 21 minutes and cooled down for 5+ minutes, however long it took me to get home from the end of the 21 minutes. I'm going to google map it with the pedometer thingy and see how far my 21 minutes took me. But that will be later in the day, I've GOT to hit the shower and head to work.

justcallmedorie
08-20-08, 08:55 AM
Alrighty then, I did the gmap pedometer thingy and it looks like 21 minutes of my wee baby short stride (I'm only 5'2" and I've got way short legs) was 1.65 miles. Is that any good at all? I think the way I figured it, it's just under a 13 minute mile. I guess for me that's not too bad...;o) And a little bit of it was essentially running in place to allow the dog to do his sniff sniff, pee pee happiness. Then there was the warmup and cooldown that I didn't figure into the mileage. I don't want to count that against the "running" miles.

ggal
08-20-08, 11:58 AM
So...

The good news: it’s not a stress fracture in the bone—the bone is fine.

The not-so-good news: it’s like tendonitis but, in specific, it’s where the muscles attach to the bone. That area is very irritated.

So...

I have even more meds to take—anti-inflamatory pills— BUT...if I’m not feeling better after the weekend, I have to call him and he’s gonna stick me in a boot! : (

He said limit my walking...no 10000 step program at work! : ( Continue to swim and try riding a bike. It would take time and staying off the leg as much as possible in order for it to heal.

How utterly frustrating.

I'm going to email my friend and see if she can suggest any pilates DVDs for me while I have to stay off the leg. I'm guessing I can work core muscles without my leg being involved too heavily.

I weigh in today and will be swimming in the evening. Will post later on those results.

I did, however, find out that our pool IS open all year round---so, that's encouraging.

ggal
08-20-08, 02:35 PM
Weigh in today: -5 lbs

Whoooohooooo!!!!

four_a2002
08-20-08, 02:55 PM
Weigh in today: -5 lbs

Whoooohooooo!!!!

excellent!!!!

20trackedmind
08-20-08, 04:50 PM
What a good idea! and ggal.... great job on the -5!!!!!!

Got my run in - woohoo, I warmed up for 5 minutes, ran for 21 minutes and cooled down for 5+ minutes, however long it took me to get home from the end of the 21 minutes. I'm going to google map it with the pedometer thingy and see how far my 21 minutes took me. But that will be later in the day, I've GOT to hit the shower and head to work.

20trackedmind
08-20-08, 05:06 PM
Well, I was almost out of the house , for my run (I think I am going to start with week 3) when my youngest got up and wanted to go with me. So, we just went on a 30 minute walk with the dogs. Tomorrow we are going to the park to walk the trails. I am going to put Gracie in the back pack and nick on his bike so we can go farther and faster. Walking with an extra 25lbs ought to add something to my walk. The trails are marked with milage so I will know exactly how far I walked.

justcallmedorie
08-20-08, 05:11 PM
What a good idea! and ggal.... great job on the -5!!!!!!

Heheh - good idea on the gmap pedometer thingy or hitting the shower-LOL? I'm sure my co-workers would say the shower.:D

Prusilusken
08-20-08, 08:28 PM
Ooph...okay guys - room for a rookie who's the world's worst procrastinatress (self appointed, hehe) and doesn't have anyone to kick her out the door?

I'm trying out for the "Everything's Better Than Nothing Team"

How did I do?

Am I in???

ggal
08-20-08, 10:26 PM
kay, i went swimming just like i said i would--30 mins. laps, 30 mins. aqua jogging/skiing.

i didn't want to b/c my swim partner had to stay in a late meeting. i had to do it alone today, but at least i did it, right?!

mADD mike
08-20-08, 10:28 PM
Ooph...okay guys - room for a rookie who's the world's worst procrastinatress (self appointed, hehe) and doesn't have anyone to kick her out the door?

How did I do?

Am I in???

Welcome to the club. The more the merrier. Let me know if you're having too many issues with the medal for your sig by sending me a pm and I'll help you.

mADD mike
08-20-08, 10:32 PM
kay, i went swimming just like i said i would--30 mins. laps, 30 mins. aqua jogging/skiing.

i didn't want to b/c my swim partner had to stay in a late meeting. i had to do it alone today, but at least i did it, right?!

It is harder to work out alone, so kudos to you for doing it anyway.

Also, I saw what you said about the MRI results. I hope you can get the inflammation down. Whatever the case, just keep moving the best you can, whatever you can. The last time I got serious about working out I rolled my ankle badly by stepping in a hole in a client's driveway that I didn't see. It put me on the ground, and was hard to walk on or put weight on for a while. It slowed me down, and eventually I stopped. Don't let that happen to you. It makes it that much harder to start up again.

Oh, and props for the five pound loss. I'll start a thread on Friday for everyone's weigh-in. Be sure to include your results then as well so that I can keep track of everything.

Mike

Grafter
08-20-08, 10:43 PM

How did I do?

Am I in???

Great to have in, Prusiluskidooski!

mADD mike
08-20-08, 11:32 PM
Well, no workout for me today.:(

I won't beat myself up too badly, because that's been one of my downfalls in the past, killing myself for letting myself down. I had a few things to do this morning, and my dad got off work earlier than I thought to go fishing. So, he came over and we went, and didn't get back until late. Now I'm tired and need to get sleep for tomorrow's work day. I had a workout planned, but didn't follow through. Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

Sorry Grafter, no marlin. I'm not sure you can catch them in Southern Indiana.:confused:

Grafter
08-20-08, 11:41 PM
Well, no workout for me today.:(

I won't beat myself up too badly, because that's been one of my downfalls in the past, killing myself for letting myself down.

Yea, that's very destructive to the self. So don't let it bother you too much. Life happens. Besides, fishing w/ Dad is worth blowing off one day.

I didn't workout today, but I didn't plan to, either. Tomorrow will be another bike ride and run.

MECMR
08-21-08, 01:34 AM
I'm in!!!!!

My first real workout in over three weeks was today, YAY! I hurt my back while on vacation, and just got cleared to go back to workout work.

I've lost about 14.5 pounds since May, and I am so glad to be working out again!

Emmie

168.5 (0)
1 hour personal trainer workout

mADD mike
08-21-08, 07:15 AM
Welcome to the club Emmie!

20trackedmind
08-21-08, 09:56 AM
Welcome Prusi! Glad you joined!

How did I do?

Am I in???

20trackedmind
08-21-08, 09:57 AM
Welcome! Our group is growing, YEAH!!!!!

I'm in!!!!!

My first real workout in over three weeks was today, YAY! I hurt my back while on vacation, and just got cleared to go back to workout work.

I've lost about 14.5 pounds since May, and I am so glad to be working out again!

Emmie

168.5 (0)
1 hour personal trainer workout

20trackedmind
08-21-08, 10:27 AM
Okay, I did it, 1 hard minute 3 easy minutes four times. Felt great to get up early and get my heart beating and mind working! Why do I not do this more often! :)

justcallmedorie
08-21-08, 10:37 AM
Welcome! Our group is growing, YEAH!!!!!

Actually, I hope our group is shrinking ;)

20trackedmind
08-21-08, 10:44 AM
ahhhh! you are right, growing in numbers but shrinking in pounds!:D

Actually, I hope our group is shrinking ;)

justcallmedorie
08-21-08, 08:44 PM
I didn't exercise today - taking a day off of it (that and I had a rough time waking up this morning and ran out of time). I decided not to beat myself up about it. Tomorrow will be another 21 minutes of running with the 5 minute warmup and 5 minute cooldown. And I'll have to remember to get on the scales BEFORE I start my coffee...;o)

joanrdtobe
08-21-08, 10:14 PM
Okay, I did my water aerobics class today after work....it was great:)

20trackedmind
08-21-08, 10:20 PM
Okay, I reported my success this morning, but does chasing a runaway dog for 45 minutes in the pouring down rain count as exercise? I am wore out and man can that dog run!:eek:

Grafter
08-21-08, 10:34 PM
Good job guys! Or should I say gals!

I got my Tempo run in this evening. But no bike ride. I think I'm going to do more of the riding too. I'll have to figure out a set plan to incorporate it.

What's great about this is the enthusiasm that you all have. We are definitely going to have to keep that with us.

mADD mike
08-22-08, 12:03 AM
Whatup peeps?

I have posted a new thread down below for everyone to put their results in for the week. This thread is a great place to talk and to encourage one another and welcome newbies. It will work best if you post your results in the thread below, as I'll start a new one each Friday, and it will allow me to track everyone's results in one easy place.

Please post your results in the thread, and don't make me chase them around in other places.:) I only say this because I've seen what has happened in other threads on other boards regarding similar situations, and I'm just one guy trying to start this and track everything for everyone. Thanks!

I'll post my results in the morning, and I look forward to seeing what you guys have to report!

Mike

aloha1983
08-22-08, 02:56 AM
Hi everyone,

I was way more active before I started my full time job... at the moment it's wakeboarding on the weekend, maybe walking once a week and one surf. Need inspiration! This might help!

20trackedmind
08-22-08, 08:29 AM
Hi everyone,

I was way more active before I started my full time job... at the moment it's wakeboarding on the weekend, maybe walking once a week and one surf. Need inspiration! This might help!

Come join us! I used to love wakeboarding when i lived in CA. I stink, but it was fun. Never learned to surf though. Get your metal from OP and weigh in! We are having a blast here!!!!!!!

mADD mike
08-22-08, 04:11 PM
Hi everyone,

Welcome! So far this first week, from what has been reported until now, we have lost a total of roughly 20 pounds as a group. That's pretty cool for the first week, and it shows that people are being encouraged to work out, regardless of the weight lost. We're here to help everyone that wants to get fit.

teremka
08-22-08, 05:15 PM
Wow, look how popular this thread already is!
I L-O-V-E this idea!! Way to go for starting it - and the medals too. :D

Here is my commitment:
I already eat no wheat, gluten, sugar, caffeine, or alcohol.
But, I need to eat more fruits and veggies every day, more fiber, fish, chicken, and drink even more water.

I will exercise 5 days a week for 30 min, (on the days that my energy levels allow me).

I want to lose 17-22 lbs. I'm 5' 10.5" and I weigh 177. I want to weigh 155-160.

Grafter
08-22-08, 06:40 PM
Welcome to the group, teremka!

mADD mike
08-22-08, 11:08 PM
Wow, look how popular this thread already is!
I L-O-V-E this idea!! Way to go for starting it - and the medals too. :D

Here is my commitment:
I already eat no wheat, gluten, sugar, caffeine, or alcohol.
But, I need to eat more fruits and veggies every day, more fiber, fish, chicken, and drink even more water.

I will exercise 5 days a week for 30 min, (on the days that my energy levels allow me).

I want to lose 17-22 lbs. I'm 5' 10.5" and I weigh 177. I want to weigh 155-160.

Awesome, glad to have another join in the fun!

Mike

mADD mike
08-22-08, 11:38 PM
Well, in total today, we had 6 members report exercise and their weight results, and we lost a total of 19.3 pounds. Not bad for a first week, eh?

For those that chimed in this week and want to participate, you can see that progress is already being made. We can physically measure it in pounds, for those that need or want to lose, but the unseen results are that people feel better about themselves when they take positive steps for change.

So, we had 6 this week (so far, you can still report for the past week if you haven't yet) and we look forward to welcoming the newbies to the game this coming week. So far, we have had the following people come down and say that they want to join in, so we want to see your results next Friday. And, in no particular order, we look forward to seeing reports next Friday from:

Amythyst
Prusilusken
Aloha1983
Teremka
DotWithADD
GHCowgirl

How cool would it be to double the number we had report this week? We'll be looking for it, and we're here to encourage and help you however we can.

Also, we had 2 people report exercise here in this thread, but not post in the results thread yet. We know you worked out, so let us know what went on so that you can encourage others to join in the fun. We hope to see results from:

joanrdtobe
curseandblessing

Don't be afraid to let others know your results. We know that you worked out, from what you said earlier. Even if you gained weight, that is something we'll all likely face during this process, the bottom line is that you worked out. Most people can't say that in a given week. You gotta start somewhere, so let us know what's up.

Thanks for making this productive, and I look forward to working with all of you!

Mike

lostranslation
08-23-08, 12:11 AM
(raises hand)

I'm in, but I have not clue what I weigh, except its fine by me. Other people say I'm too thin, but I'm not really. My clothes fit, and they are mostly really old. I don't own a scale, and can't afford one right now, so I hope it's OK if I skip the weight part for now. (If not, I'll make something up.:))

Um...I don't see any option numbers to paste the url from photo bucket in, nor do I see the medal in anyone else's posts. Is it just me, or am I missing something?

Grafter
08-23-08, 01:27 AM
Hi Lost! Glad to see ya join in!

About the signature thing.

Goto you User CP, scroll down to "Edit options" and click.

Scroll down till you see "Thread display options"

In that box will be three little boxes that you can click on...

make sure they are checked... It should look like this:

Show Signatures
Show Avatars
Show Images

See if that gets it to work.

justcallmedorie
08-23-08, 08:09 AM
Okay, I reported my success this morning, but does chasing a runaway dog for 45 minutes in the pouring down rain count as exercise? I am wore out and man can that dog run!:eek:

I certainly does for me! I totally remember having to chase after my little fox terrier when she would get out of the fence and it was quite a workout! Unexpected, unpleasant, etc. but it was a workout!

justcallmedorie
08-23-08, 08:11 AM
Hmmm, must have been busy or distracted (lol) yesterday, forgot to report in on this thread (I did on the "report-in" thread). I did my C25K with 21 minutes stuck in between the 2 5-min warmup & cooldown periods. Nothing "official" for the weekend, I get plenty of physical activity in when I'm at our farm, but not official exercise.

Later gators.

mADD mike
08-23-08, 09:00 AM
(raises hand)

I'm in, but I have not clue what I weigh, except its fine by me. Other people say I'm too thin, but I'm not really. My clothes fit, and they are mostly really old. I don't own a scale, and can't afford one right now, so I hope it's OK if I skip the weight part for now. (If not, I'll make something up.:))

Um...I don't see any option numbers to paste the url from photo bucket in, nor do I see the medal in anyone else's posts. Is it just me, or am I missing something?

Ooooh, say you lost like 10 pounds a week to make our numbers look even better.;)

Okay, or, just don't worry about it. Just report each Friday in the thread I make what days you worked out, that is all you need to do if weight loss isn't your thang. Just get out and exercise, or stay in and exercise, whatever you like to do, and let us know about it. Exercise has many more benefits than just losing weight. Each person that reports on here their exercise is encouraging someone else to start up or continue. You make a difference in you, and help others at the same time. Pretty cool, huh?

Have a great weekend!
Mike

mykill
08-23-08, 04:24 PM
ok, i'm striding in fashionably late. :D

Too late to get in on this thing? I Know what i weighed yesterday and it wasn't pretty.

mADD mike
08-23-08, 04:50 PM
ok, i'm striding in fashionably late. :D

Too late to get in on this thing? I Know what i weighed yesterday and it wasn't pretty.

Hey, no problem, glad to see you made it. We will all have ugly weigh-ins here and there, so don't sweat it. With a blown out knee and doing PT, just exercising for you has to be hard. Kudos to you for stepping up and doing it, and for reporting it here. Glad to have you in the group.

merlin8015
08-24-08, 03:24 PM
I'm late as normal, but I Hiked 7 Miles Last Sunday and hit the Gym Friday Friday. Don't know how much I lost this week my weight was 305 last month as of Friday I was 286 WOO HOO

lostranslation
08-24-08, 05:17 PM
Alrighty then...I hope I did the sig thing right. My husband and I took a walk last night, like a half mile or so, and we didn't hurry, but my legs are sore...

....nope, the sig thing still didn't work. Oh well. I just got out of the hospital on Friday, have a bunch of new meds, and my brain isn't working, so I know you guys understand

mADD mike
08-24-08, 08:10 PM
Good job Merlin and Lostranslation for getting out and exercising. We look forward to seeing you guys in next week's results thread. Welcome to the club!

Mike

qhcowgirl
08-25-08, 01:04 AM
I think I joined -- not sure....

Anyway, this week, I exercised every day... different stuff on different days. Stretching, planks, crunches, push ups, and stacking a lot (a lot) of firewood.

Prusilusken
08-25-08, 07:33 AM
*Sigh* Sorry guys, spent the weekend at my parents and completely forgot about this. :(

I'm going to set the calenderthingy on my mobile to remember me check in every friday from now on.

Grafter: Thanks for the heads up, my bad I wasn't online to read it.

Everyone: I can't believe how much you get done! That's great!
I myself just hope to get a few walks in during the next week.

I find it difficult to get anything done, but especially if I'm not "signed up" or part of a team. I don't have the money to sign up for anything or get myself running shoes...but I've been thinking about taking older people's dogs for walks or something. That might help me get out of the door...

If some of you can get up earlier in the day, I know of some who has taken newspaper routes before going to work.
If you see it as a job, the pay is lousy, but if you see it as exercise...you get paid to exercise! :D

20trackedmind
08-25-08, 10:00 AM
Awesome!!!!!
I'm late as normal, but I Hiked 7 Miles Last Sunday and hit the Gym Friday Friday. Don't know how much I lost this week my weight was 305 last month as of Friday I was 286 WOO HOO

20trackedmind
08-25-08, 10:06 AM
Ok, Sunday I rode my horse for about an hour but I am going to only count the 20 minutes of the posting trot as exercise. (that is when you have to push your weight up off the horse in rythm with the horses trot, while holding your legs completly still below the knee) 6 months ago I could only do it for a minute at a time before getting tired, now I can go up to 20 minutes before I am get completly wore out.

Today, I am going to do my Tempo run for 5 minutes. And then I am going to take the kids to the lake to go swim for an hour! :)

20trackedmind
08-25-08, 10:35 AM
OK, That 5 minutes run 90% as fast as you can stuff is HARD!!!!! Ans why I waited until the sun was up is beyond me!!! Glad I did it though. Tomorrow I am going to do my endurance 15 minutes.

ggal
08-25-08, 11:28 AM
OK, That 5 minutes run 90% as fast as you can stuff is HARD!!!!! Ans why I waited until the sun was up is beyond me!!! Glad I did it though. Tomorrow I am going to do my endurance 15 minutes.

LOL!! Yeah, it is!! LOL!!

You'd think, "oh...5 minutes...no prob." but it's really tough.

I had to start working out when the sun was down--TX heat and sun are KILLERS for outdoor exercise. Literally.

justcallmedorie
08-25-08, 08:03 PM
Today was Week 6, Day 1 and while I thought it was going to be pretty easy (5 run, 3 walk, 8 run, 3 walk, 5 run) I was wrong. AND I was inside on the treadmill which has always seemed easier before. If it's not raining tomorrow morning, me and the dog will try it on the pavement. Well, we won't TRY it, we'll do it. I don't know if I'm going to be able to continue with my low-carbing while I'm trying to get the running down. I may have to go to something like South Beach or something similar. I can't have refined sugar - it's like a drink to an alcoholic for me, so I have to be careful about what carbs I can have - "slow" carbs should be ok I think. All right, I'm rambling on and I've still got some things to take care of before bed. See y'all tomorrow.

merlin8015
08-25-08, 09:06 PM
Thanks 20Track

20trackedmind
08-25-08, 09:25 PM
Ok, we went to the park instead of the lake, but I have to tell you this funny story. My 4 yr old Nick and I where running on the grass "racing" each other. We lined up.... I said " ready, set, go"... we took off running.... after about 10 strided my son stops to pick flowers... then remembers what he is doing.... starts running again! I thought, well, if that is not ADHD, I don't know what is.

"RUN, Run, Run... oh, look at the flowers......."

mADD mike
08-25-08, 10:51 PM
Well, after being sick all weekend since I caught whatever my wife had, today I felt like a person again, so I got to it.

I walked, or whatever you call it, on the Gazelle for 20 minutes. Then I did 45 crunches, and 30 push ups with the Perfect Push Up (10 normal, 10 wide, and 10 close).

So, I was able to get some decent exercise in today. I hope to get in even more tomorrow.

Keep up the good work everybody!

Mike

20trackedmind
08-26-08, 10:48 AM
Okay, just got back from a half an hour fast walk. I also took over my husbands job of unloading the 50pound feed bags from the truck up to the feed room about 300 feet away, but that only took 15 minutes so not as much exercise as a thought. I will have to do my run tomorrow morning.

ggal
08-26-08, 11:04 AM
Great job y'all.

I'm feelin' kinda bummy. Don't know what to do with this bum leg, so...until I figure that out, I'm following the same Wed-Fri routine as last week. Something is better than nothing, right?

Keep it up guys.

justcallmedorie
08-26-08, 11:11 AM
Something is better than nothing, right?

Absolutely! I sure hope your leg gets to feeling better soon!

justcallmedorie
08-26-08, 11:14 AM
Can't remember if I posted yesterday's, so here's Mon and Tue...

Mon - W6D1 on the treadmill (wow, it wasn't very pleasant)
Tue - W6D1 on the asphalt (felt way better than last night)

I currently eat low-carb and am beginning to wonder if I need to up my carbs a bit. Not forsake low-carb altogether, but at least add some more...I guess I'll play around with it and see what makes me feel better when I'm running.

20trackedmind
08-26-08, 11:18 AM
When you work out as much as you do, you really do need more carbs. Even on pure atkins, they tell you that you need more carbs if you really work out a bunch. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water:). You are doing so good. I admire your consistancy!

Can't remember if I posted yesterday's, so here's Mon and Tue...

Mon - W6D1 on the treadmill (wow, it wasn't very pleasant)
Tue - W6D1 on the asphalt (felt way better than last night)

I currently eat low-carb and am beginning to wonder if I need to up my carbs a bit. Not forsake low-carb altogether, but at least add some more...I guess I'll play around with it and see what makes me feel better when I'm running.

20trackedmind
08-27-08, 10:38 AM
Ok I attempted the week three endurance run of 15 minutes.... and managed to do about 12 minutes. The good news is I did a mile in that 12 minutes. I think maybe I was running to fast for my endurance level.

So, after reviewing the chart, I basically did week two this week so I will attempt week three again next week. Starting on Friday.

ggal
08-27-08, 10:50 AM
Good for you, 20T.

I'm so jealous you're doing that program.

In 15 minutes, I could do 1 mile and 1 lap...so essentially, 1 and 1/8th of a mile.

And slow it down. Endurance isn't about speed. You're doing great!

justcallmedorie
08-27-08, 10:54 AM
When you work out as much as you do, you really do need more carbs. Even on pure atkins, they tell you that you need more carbs if you really work out a bunch. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water:). You are doing so good. I admire your consistancy!

Thanks. I drink well over 1/2 gallon of water/water-type (;)) liquids every day - I've ALWAYS been a big water drinker - I have to back off in the evening so I don't get up in the night more than once.

I'm upping my carbs - going to try for at least 50 NET. Yesterday I had 55-20 (fiber) for a net of 35. Baby steps there, it feels positively sinful to be trying for more carbs. I've got to get to the grocery store and pick up some grape tomatoes, bell peppers (red, orange, yellow) and maybe some carrots. I'll have to see how many carbs that would give me (must confess I've missed my raw veggies quite a bit). This might just be a good thing if it doesn't send me back to binge eating - I can't do too many carbs on that account.:(

It was raining this morning so rather than do nothing I decided to treadmill it. I elected to just do a pre-programmed workout on the treadmill rather than push myself *too* hard with the running since we're supposed to take a day off in between. I probably won't take a day off between W6D2 & W6D3 since I don't really have an opportunity to run on the weekends. I may re-do week 6 next week, think I'll just see how I'm feeling. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not as young as I used to be, so it may be a little bit tougher to get to the destination point {sigh}.

Anyhow, just wanted to check in.

mADD mike
08-28-08, 08:57 AM
Good job Dorie! It would have been easy to use the rain as an excuse not to get your exercise in, but you didn't.

Mike

justcallmedorie
08-28-08, 09:24 AM
Good job Dorie! It would have been easy to use the rain as an excuse not to get your exercise in, but you didn't.

Mike

Yeah, but with the poor doggy watching me the whole time with his big sad brown eyes, it was tempting to not do it. He eventually gets tired of standing there looking pitiful and goes to lay down by the kitchen door. "Bless his heart" (said in the southern way :p).

We were able to get out in between showers this morning. I did Week 6 Day 2, which was supposed to be warmup, run 10, walk 3, run 10, cooldown. I did warmup, run 10, walk 3, run 13.45, cooldown. Dog was pretty happy with that-lol.

One more day this week, whew! I'm not sure if I'm going to repeat today's routine or do the 25 minute run that is actually called for. Guess I'll see how I feel in the morning. I'm also tempted to repeat this week next week. Poor old farts like me can't quite make the destination quite as quickly (or so it seems).

I have managed to get my carbs upped to ~50 net so we'll see how that makes me feel. By Monday I'm hoping to be able to tell a difference. I really don't want to have to up them much further as I'm afraid of falling back to binge-eating. Low carb has been the only thing to keep me from it. Although adding them back a bit in the form of raw veggies and fruit (berries mostly) hopefully will keep me "safe".

Enough blabbing, best get back to work. Endeavor to persevere, y'all.

ggal
08-28-08, 09:49 AM
kay...

weigh in yesterday: +2.2 lbs : ( Oh well.

And, I got an hour swim in too. Horrah!

20trackedmind
08-28-08, 01:06 PM
last night I did 35 crunches then 15 minutes yoga, this morning 45 minute walk.

mADD mike
08-28-08, 01:50 PM
kay...

weigh in yesterday: +2.2 lbs : ( Oh well.

And, I got an hour swim in too. Horrah!

Don't worry about it. We'll all have our ups as well as our downs. At least you exercised, that is more than a lot of people can say on most days.

Myself, I worked out for about 25 minutes on Tuesday, and nothing yesterday other than work. I pretty much worked from morning until time to go to bed.

Today, I would like to work out. I just pushed a Cadillac down a driveway, up the street, and onto some little car trailer. I actually got it going so fast that it went OVER the car trailer and the wheels were hanging off the edge. The guy that is hauling away my junk car said he's never had that happen before. Yay me! So, then I spent the next 30 minutes with him trying to figure a way to pull the trailer back under the wheels and not the body. We got it though. That is a great way to spend a day off.

justcallmedorie
08-29-08, 04:31 PM
Woohoo! I ran for 26 minutes this morning, it was 2.1143 miles which (I think) comes to 12.3 minute miles. Is that right? divide 26 minutes by 2.1143? It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be and the dog was made happy. Trust me, if the dog ain't happy, NOBODY'S happy. :p

I totally forgot to come in here and post. I guess I need to write down all the places I need to post daily. I've got 2 low carb boards, ediets, here, ah-ha-ha...

qhcowgirl
08-29-08, 06:17 PM
Ok, I didn't do too much this week. Finally made it to the Physical Therapist for my ankle so hopefully I'll be back to doing more stuff.

Anyway, this week more of the same. Core strength training, yoga, and stretches....

mADD mike
08-30-08, 10:06 PM
Okay peeps, I'm finally done with work for the week, so I'll update you on the current status of GFC.

1. We have 5 people switching over to green medals now for reporting 2 consecutive weeks of exercise. I have sent you all a pm with the new medal instructions. Remember, it isn't weight loss, or even reporting that matters, you must report that you did knowingly and intentionally exercise that week. So, congrats to those that have done so, they are off to a good start. (If I missed someone, let me know via pm, and I'll get back to you.)

2. There are a lot of names missing from our report for 8/29. If you are out there, and didn't report for some reason, please do so. We want to see the good, bad, and ugly reports, as that is reality. If you didn't do well last week, let us know how we can help. Maybe you need some suggestions, or just someone to send you a pm each day to ask if you have exercised as some sort of reminder, we all need help at times.

We also had a bunch to say that they were starting this week as well, and we would love to see your results, so please chime in, even if just to let us know that you did indeed exercise.

3. I don't know what to say here, it just seemed silly to even bother numbering things if I was just going to have 2 things to talk about.:D

Keep up the good work!
Mike

lostranslation
08-30-08, 11:31 PM
Alright...I walked about a half mile three times last week- not much, but it's something!

(Also walked up and down stairs way too many times because I keep forgetting stuff. Does that count?)

mADD mike
08-30-08, 11:37 PM
Alright...I walked about a half mile three times last week- not much, but it's something!

(Also walked up and down stairs way too many times because I keep forgetting stuff. Does that count?)

If you were trying to exercise and that is what you did, then it counts. Normally you would need to post it in the results thread, for my ease of keeping track, but I noticed you here so I've put you on the list. Good for you. This is about exercising, trying to do something to better your life, and if you did it, then speak up and let everyone know. Not all of us can run for miles, I can't run for seconds, lol. Okay, maybe I can, but between the asthma and shin splints, it isn't much fun. We all go at our own pace, the important thing is that we go.

Thanks for joining in!

Mike

justcallmedorie
08-31-08, 09:44 AM
Ahhh, green is my favorite color! (I still want a gold one-lol). Me and the dog might go out in the woods. I can actually get a pretty good workout in by walking up and down in the woods around our farm. Wish now I'd brought my running shoes and I might try for a little "cross-country" running. Anyhow, just wanted to say good morning y'all. See ya tomorrow. Or sooner if we actually head for the woods...:)

Prusilusken
08-31-08, 10:23 AM
Oooooh, I want a dog! You're so lucky Dorie!!!

I took a two hour walk yesterday and am going for about an hour in a little bit. :)
You guys inspire me - thanks guys!

justcallmedorie
08-31-08, 10:34 AM
Oooooh, I want a dog! You're so lucky Dorie!!!

I took a two hour walk yesterday and am going for about an hour in a little bit. :)
You guys inspire me - thanks guys!

Heheh, there are days I'd gladly give him to you! He's a 110 lb yellow lab and is real good at getting his way. I don't think I have any pictures of him in my profile, I'll have to dig up some pix and post. He really is a sweety!

Prusilusken
08-31-08, 10:43 AM
Ooooh, Labs are great, I used to have one as a child. :)
But they do hyperfocus on food to a very unhealthy degree, don't they! :D
On the other hand, they're easy to motivate when training because of that foodthing, haha...but wow...I remember our old lab, if we didn't remember to take out the trash before we left for school/work, she'd open the cupboard and rip up the bag and spread the contents all over the kitchen and hall to find "goodies" in it! Yurk!!!
Old potato peels and used coffebeans!!

The last person to leave the house every morning was responsible for taking out the trash. If it had not be done, that same person should clean up the mess.

Who do you think always left latest and forgot about the trash? :P

Haha...but other than that, we loved her dearly!

justcallmedorie
08-31-08, 10:44 AM
Here he is...in all his filthy glory-lol
http://www.addforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=291&pictureid=2400

justcallmedorie
08-31-08, 10:49 AM
He's been know to help himself to a whole stick of butter off of the kitchen counter. Hubby didn't believe me 'til he saw it for himself. Yep, they really really like the food. He needs to lose weight worse than I do. He HAD got up to 132 at one point. We had a big fire down by the pond last night with some of the nephews and roasted hotdogs and marshallows and made s'mores and I fear that the youngest boy was secretly giving his to Max. Sooo, we're heading out to work some of it off.

I'm discovering Max to be quite the clown too. He has 2 expressions, the goofy grin look and the poor poor pitiful me look at my sad brown eyes look. He fools everybody with both. :p

Prusilusken
08-31-08, 01:32 PM
LOL - yeah, that's a proper lab, that Max, I can tell! :D

justcallmedorie
09-02-08, 11:06 AM
Poopie. I woke up yesterday with extreme vertigo. Something I've had for a long time, but haven't had any episodes for over a year and a half. I think I finally figured out that sugar-binges greatly contribute towards the possibility of having it. I guess that tells you that I've been a very bad girl. Adding carbs without a whole lot of guidance was a bad thing. I was afraid it would be. Anyhow, I'm going to go back to eating Nutrisystem (did this a few years ago and don't recall having cravings). Since my husband isn't home during the week and I don't have to cook, at least I will be eating a broader spectrum of food and the carbs will be "good" carbs. AND I WON'T HAVE TO COOK - yeeha!

I won't be hitting the asphalt today as planned for fear I would REALLY hit the asphalt, sort of sucks to be so freakin' dizzy. If it eases off any I might take Max out after it cools off this evening for a walk and hope to resume the running tomorrow.

Just wanted to pop in and report.

20trackedmind
09-02-08, 05:55 PM
Okay, this week I am not doing so good! Last friday I did the interval run. Monday I swam laps for 45 minutes with my son. I used his raft as a kick board and we played Coast Guard to the rescue! His uncle is in teh C.G.:) But, I have been sick to my stomach ever since:confused:. So I did nothing today.Tommorow I will try to do my tempo run. Then on Thurs. maybe my endurance run.

Question, on the tempo run how easy is the easy part? Slow jog? or endurance speed?

Prusilusken
09-03-08, 06:53 AM
Buggar...I'm going to get an appointment with a chiropractor today.
I hit my hip some weeks ago and have been aware that my right leg hadn't felt right after that, but it hasn't been too bad so I thought it'd probably pop back in by itself sometime, and since it didn't seem to get any worse...but since I started exercising just this saturday/sun/mon/tues, I can tell that I have to get something done because, among other things, the muscles in my lower rigt leg have become lightly inflamed already. That means I only exercised VERY lightly yesterday, and the only exercise I'm having today is to go get that apppointment done. I'm not going to have to battle some long term inflammation, so better nip it in the bud, right. :)

justcallmedorie
09-03-08, 07:28 AM
I'm still a bit "swimmy headed" and might get on the treadmill later. I guess not sleeping and crying a lot will do that...I feel a little better today about my doggy. She had a good long life and it was coming, just a matter of time and I guess time ran out.:(

mADD mike
09-03-08, 08:49 AM
I'm still a bit "swimmy headed" and might get on the treadmill later. I guess not sleeping and crying a lot will do that...I feel a little better today about my doggy. She had a good long life and it was coming, just a matter of time and I guess time ran out.:(

Whoa, did I miss something? When did your dog die? I'm so sorry for your loss.

justcallmedorie
09-03-08, 09:25 AM
Whoa, did I miss something? When did your dog die? I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thanks. Not my running buddy. My little fox terrier. She turned 16 in June and I knew it was coming, but that didn't make it any easier. She and Max went outside yesterday afternoon. She always liked to go lay in the yard and sun herself. When Max wanted back in, I saw her wandering around the yard and just let her go, she would come to the door when she was ready to come in. After a while I decided to go check on her and she was gone (as in dead). I had to call my daughter to come and get her for me (I totally don't *do* dead things) and we got her in some black bags and she's in the freezer (I know, kinda gross) and my husband will take her and bury her with her brother who died in 2002 at our farm this weekend. She had a long life and was loved a lot. Now she and her older brother are together again and both are "whole" (he was diabetic and she didn't have her eyes anymore - removed in 2003 due to glaucoma). I'm sad, but I know she's in a better place now.

Thanks again.

mADD mike
09-03-08, 09:56 AM
Again, so sorry to hear that. Myself, I've never had a dear pet that died. However, my wife and I have a cleaning business, and just this year alone we've had several clients to lose them, all dogs I think. My wife knew those dogs much more than I did, and even though we might have only seen them once every week or two at the most, it even effects us, so I can imagine how it must be when it is your own. 16 is a good long life for a dog though, and at least she got to go peacefully. I'm sure she had a good life with you guys.

20trackedmind
09-03-08, 10:09 AM
Sorry to hear about your dog dorie, as a fellow animal lover I feel your pain. It hurts to lose a loved pet.

20trackedmind
09-03-08, 11:45 AM
Ok I just ran my tempo run and I feel good. We are starting to get the winds from Gustuv so it feels good now to run with the cold breeze! I am going to do some yoga tonight and crunches. I think I can do 50 this time, we will see.

20trackedmind
09-04-08, 10:00 AM
Well, i managed to do the endurance run for wk 3, which I am proud of because I could not do it last week. So I jogged for 15 minutes and went 1.38 miles according to my map. I figure that is pretty good for me since I could not even run 12 minutes last week. So this program must work! Last night I was able to do my 50 crunches, the kind where you hold the crunch position for 15 seconds each time. My clothes are fitting better and my mental clarity is improving. I dont usually have to take my meds until 10am now rather than 1st thing in the morning! So, the exercise I do at 7am improves my mental state for about 3 hours. Hmmm, if only I could just exercise all day long!:) I could save some money.

justcallmedorie
09-04-08, 10:26 AM
FINALLY able to get back outside and do something. My daughter is moving back home {sigh} and she's going to start running with me in the mornings, probably next week, so I'll probably back down to week 4 or 5 of the program, wherever she's comfortable, and "start over" from there with the actual running. Me & Max walked briskly for 50 minutes this morning.

Prusilusken
09-04-08, 11:58 AM
Hey Dorie, sorry for your loss!
Glad to hear she died home in your yard, old and happy, though.
We had to euthanize my old guy (icelandic sheepdog, 16yrs) a few months ago.
It's a hard step to take even when you know it's for the best.
I'd have given a lot to see him go at home like your gal did.
((Hugs))

justcallmedorie
09-04-08, 12:01 PM
Hey Dorie, sorry for your loss!
Glad to hear she died home in your yard, old and happy, though.
We had to euthanize my old guy (icelandic sheepdog, 16yrs) a few months ago.
It's a hard step to take even when you know it's for the best.
I'd have given a lot to see him go at home like your gal did.
((Hugs))

Oh yeah. That's twice now I haven't had to make the decision, my critters did it for me (2002, 11-yo diabetic siberian husky died of pneumonia, vet was going to ask me to decide, but Pooks died overnight...at the vet's...I had spent hours with him the day before he died just loving on him...he died on my birthday).

20trackedmind
09-04-08, 03:53 PM
well, at least you will have some company when you run. I am just now getting to week 4 so you are still ahead of me:o. I bet I have to do wk 4 twice:D

FINALLY able to get back outside and do something. My daughter is moving back home {sigh} and she's going to start running with me in the mornings, probably next week, so I'll probably back down to week 4 or 5 of the program, wherever she's comfortable, and "start over" from there with the actual running. Me & Max walked briskly for 50 minutes this morning.

mADD mike
09-04-08, 07:24 PM
Glad to see others still sticking with it. I've worked really hard on getting to sleep at a better time this week, because I got way off course and wasn't getting but 5-6 hours many nights. It was really killing my energy level, especially with working out and working physically during the day. I felt like I was just tearing myself down trying to do anything. Instead of feeling better, I was feeling worse, just run down.

So, I haven't worked out much this week. I have TMJ in addition to my ADD (I like the problems with catchy initials) and sleep problems seem to make me easily stressed, which leads to tension in my jaw, and then headaches. I have had a headache off and on for 3 days, since trying to alter my sleep pattern.

Today I did make myself go out to a local park and walk the mile-long track once. I was nauseous and somewhat dizzy, but I did it anyway, so I did do something this week. I need to get my rear in gear, and my body to cooperate with me for a week.

It has just been a bad week overall. Dr. Hallowell talks in his book about how ADDers get really happy and optimistic when they are first diagnosed and then hit a wall at some point where they realize that this is a lifelong ordeal and battle. I think I've been hitting that, and kind of getting depressed. I was so ready to fight ADD a couple of months ago when I first found out, but the reality is setting in and fighting my ADD symptoms all the time is wearing me down a bit. I'm determined that next week will be better though. I just have to get my mind right and focus on positive things, rather than negatives, or allow myself to process the negatives so that I can move on. This whole ADD thing is quite the rollercoaster.

Sorry for the rambling. I just needed a little vent.

justcallmedorie
09-04-08, 08:43 PM
My week hasn't been anything to write home about. :(
So far I've got an hour in the woods and a walk with the big dog. I do plan on getting out in the morning as well and might do a little running. Doubt I'll be able to get my daughter up to go with me yet and I don't want to stay on week 4 or 5 indefinitely while I wait for her to catch up...but we'll see. Hang in there y'all, we've got a ways to go for our gold medals. :p

justcallmedorie
09-05-08, 10:09 AM
Guess I'll follow myself. Is that like a dog chasing it's tail?

Brisk 50 minute walk yesterday morning, just me & Max.

Brisk 50 minute walk this morning with Max, my daughter and granddog. I hope to be back on the running starting tomorrow, daughter says she thinks she's ready. I know I am.

Prusilusken
09-06-08, 06:29 AM
Glad to see others still sticking with it. I've worked really hard on getting to sleep at a better time this week, because I got way off course and wasn't getting but 5-6 hours many nights. It was really killing my energy level, especially with working out and working physically during the day. I felt like I was just tearing myself down trying to do anything. Instead of feeling better, I was feeling worse, just run down.

So, I haven't worked out much this week. I have TMJ in addition to my ADD (I like the problems with catchy initials) and sleep problems seem to make me easily stressed, which leads to tension in my jaw, and then headaches. I have had a headache off and on for 3 days, since trying to alter my sleep pattern.

Today I did make myself go out to a local park and walk the mile-long track once. I was nauseous and somewhat dizzy, but I did it anyway, so I did do something this week. I need to get my rear in gear, and my body to cooperate with me for a week.

It has just been a bad week overall. Dr. Hallowell talks in his book about how ADDers get really happy and optimistic when they are first diagnosed and then hit a wall at some point where they realize that this is a lifelong ordeal and battle. I think I've been hitting that, and kind of getting depressed. I was so ready to fight ADD a couple of months ago when I first found out, but the reality is setting in and fighting my ADD symptoms all the time is wearing me down a bit. I'm determined that next week will be better though. I just have to get my mind right and focus on positive things, rather than negatives, or allow myself to process the negatives so that I can move on. This whole ADD thing is quite the rollercoaster.

Sorry for the rambling. I just needed a little vent.

Aaw, bummer...I hope you're having a better turn next week, Mike!
Good thing you got out once, though, that's so much better than nothing. I hope the issues with the sleep pattern and head aches will soon be relieved - hang in there!

I wasn't home yesterday, so I've only just reported in the friday thread; hope that's okay because I reeeeeaaally want my green medal soon! Don't remember if I get it this time or next friday, but sometime soon, it will be mine! Mwuhahahahahaaah! :D

justcallmedorie
09-06-08, 08:53 AM
Pedometer steps for yesterday (might as well)

Just got in this morning for a walk/run (2.6 miles total with more running than walking - wasn't really following any certain program, just went with what I felt like) with just "the Bub" (that would be Max). Daughter didn't get in from work 'til very late and requested to not be included.

The rest of the day will be clearing out her old room of 6 years of me using it for an office/walk-in closet and clearing out the back room for me to use for an office/walk-in closet. So that'll be some serious physical labor. Tomorrow too. I'll walk/run again tomorrow and check in after I'm done.

Happy moving your bodies, y'all. :p

mADD mike
09-06-08, 10:48 PM
Aaw, bummer...I hope you're having a better turn next week, Mike!
Good thing you got out once, though, that's so much better than nothing. I hope the issues with the sleep pattern and head aches will soon be relieved - hang in there!

I wasn't home yesterday, so I've only just reported in the friday thread; hope that's okay because I reeeeeaaally want my green medal soon! Don't remember if I get it this time or next friday, but sometime soon, it will be mine! Mwuhahahahahaaah! :D

Thanks Prusilusken! I took a nap today because I didn't get to bed as early as I should last night, and I was rewarded with a migraine type headache afterward. Naps don't agree with me at all, I almost always get a headache.

Anyway, I'm glad to see your results in the thread for this week. Don't worry about not getting it reported on Friday if you forget. Just get it done as soon as you can and it is all good. Congrats on your progress! Oh, and I'll get with you on the medal. You qualify for a green one now, and I'll send everything to you and work with you to get it done correctly.

Congrats to everyone that is sticking with this. Because of my migraine today, my brain isn't working at it's best, so I'll compile the list tomorrow and I have something new I'll try to get others motivated, including myself. So, more to come tomorrow.

Mike

DotwithADD
09-07-08, 01:54 AM
I can't remember if I've expressed my sadness for your loss, Dorie. So, just in case (forgive me if I already have), I am indeed sorry for your loss... I know how it hurts.

I'm sorry to hear that, too, Dorie.. I've lost more than one pet, usually dogs. We do and miss our former pets, but indeed, they are in a better place and without pain and/or illness.

Prusilusken
09-07-08, 05:51 PM
Thanks Mike!

Had the worst weekend (foodwise!) I was out all weekend with someone else cooking for me or eating junk (thought sunset blvd subs were supposed to be okay if not perfect - got wiser!:D) and the training is down to a round, anhedonic zero because of my hip...lol, omg what a ridiculously sad and retarded weekend for me...BUT - my mood is not too bad concidering it all, so I think I'm okay.

I'm being very CBT positive thought patternlike about the whole thing. 50% of the days on the foodlog site has been "red kJ" and that's so not good, but at least it's half. Better than how I started out, and if I keep the numbers on my food budget green just tomorrow, it'll already be almost 55% green for the win, and counting, right? And I still moved way more this week and only a small injury has stopped me doing more about it, and I'm not going to be injured for long (I've decided, hehe) so I'll be back walking soon. Oh, and I've learned a few things about food and exercise too these past days that'll help me stay on the path further along too. :)

My NATs really just want to kick my *** and degrade myself and all the other "pleasant" but statistically proven completely effectless thought patterns that seem so much more real, logical and morally right in this moment, but I fight them the best I can and go with the CTB way and support myself being all friendly an' stuff.

May have gotten fatter this week, dunno, but I'm sticking to this project anyway, and being earnest...it may have gotten me red ears, but it's also given me a GREEN MEDAL!!! :D:D:D

Next time I'm going for earnesty AND better percentiles on my food budget.
And hopefully more exercise, but that's up to my hip, I'm afraid. :P

mADD mike
09-07-08, 09:56 PM
Whatup peeps!

It is time for the weekly information update. I like everyone to know how the group is doing, so here are some things to consider:

1. So far, in the 3 weeks of reporting, we've lost a total of just over 21 pounds! Very nice.:D We've had many that have forgotten to post a weight, one way or the other, but that is okay. Exercise is the important thing, and we have a good group making progress.

2. We have 3 new green medalists this week. Lostranslation, amythyst, and prusilusken will be getting a pm with their green medal information. Congrats to each of you for sticking with something that a lot of people never even get going with.

3. Sadly, we've lost some people that started with us, and many came and talked about joining but haven't done so yet. Remember, you can do so at any time, and we are here to help. Look at our numbers, this is reality, not some biggest loser show like on tv where people live in a controlled environment and are forced to exercise by highly paid personal trainers. Nobody expects miracle results, we just want to encourage other ADDers to participate in some form of exercise as much as possible, because it helps us all in so many ways. Nobody is here to judge. If you are out there, and you see this, please come back and work with us.

4. My personal pledge to you is this. This week, I will work out every day (Monday through Friday), for at least one hour each day! You guys hold me to it. I will post each day what I've done. I need this pledge to motivate me, and I want to stay true to my word. As the person that got this little group going, I want to set a good example. No excuses. It will get done.

Anyone else care to make a pledge this week?

DotwithADD
09-07-08, 11:56 PM
Whatup peeps!

It is time for the weekly information update. I like everyone to know how the group is doing, so here are some things to consider:

1. So far, in the 3 weeks of reporting, we've lost a total of just over 21 pounds! Very nice.:D We've had many that have forgotten to post a weight, one way or the other, but that is okay. Exercise is the important thing, and we have a good group making progress.

2. We have 3 new green medalists this week. Lostranslation, amythyst, and prusilusken will be getting a pm with their green medal information. Congrats to each of you for sticking with something that a lot of people never even get going with.

3. Sadly, we've lost some people that started with us, and many came and talked about joining but haven't done so yet. Remember, you can do so at any time, and we are here to help. Look at our numbers, this is reality, not some biggest loser show like on tv where people live in a controlled environment and are forced to exercise by highly paid personal trainers. Nobody expects miracle results, we just want to encourage other ADDers to participate in some form of exercise as much as possible, because it helps us all in so many ways. Nobody is here to judge. If you are out there, and you see this, please come back and work with us.

4. My personal pledge to you is this. This week, I will work out every day (Monday through Friday), for at least one hour each day! You guys hold me to it. I will post each day what I've done. I need this pledge to motivate me, and I want to stay true to my word. As the person that got this little group going, I want to set a good example. No excuses. It will get done.

Anyone else care to make a pledge this week?

I do, Mike... want to pledge (a hopeful pledge that I'll stick with) to exercise more than just once or twice per week... on a treadmill, etc. And not make excuses. And to eat more salads and stuff that's good for me.

justcallmedorie
09-08-08, 10:17 AM
I didn't do any formal workout yesterday, but did do a bunch of heavy lifting in the rearranging for daughter to have her bedroom back after 6 years of being gone and me using it for my purposes. :p

Didn't get up in time to workout today and probably won't this afternoon, still working on the rearranging happiness.

I pledge to walk/run Tuesday through Friday of this week. That'll still be 5 days for the week since I walk/ran Saturday morning.

Prusilusken
09-08-08, 10:47 AM
Exercise: Can't make any pledges before my hip is okay again, which will hopefully be VERY soon! :(
But I'll ask the chiropractor today if there is any exercise I can do without messing up my body any more than it already is.

Food: I pledge to stay within "green limits" on my madlog/foodlog all days mon-fri and to remember to measure myself friday, even though I doubt I've dropped inches since I measured myself the other day.
I go to my parents saturday, and I am going to weigh myself when I'm there too, so I can get some statistics regarding that too.

Sunday I pledge to overeat in insane amounts, since it's my 30th birthday and I'll be with my family for dinner. ;)

AND WEEEEE!!! :D:D:D LOOOOOOK!!! GREEEEEN MEDAAAAAAL!!! :D:D:D:D:D

justcallmedorie
09-08-08, 10:54 AM
Sunday I pledge to overeat in insane amounts, since it's my 30th birthday and I'll be with my family for dinner. ;)

AND WEEEEE!!! :D:D:D LOOOOOOK!!! GREEEEEN MEDAAAAAAL!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Happy Birthday while I remember. Isn't the green medal beautiful (my favorite color)?!

ggal
09-08-08, 11:59 AM
Question, on the tempo run how easy is the easy part? Slow jog? or endurance speed?

Sorry I'm late with this info:

Everyone's easy is different. My easy was a slow jog---enough to get my breath back and not feel so wobbly in the legs.

Ironically, the longer I did this training, the more my slow jog sped up a bit as I was heading back into the fast section. I was pleased about that.

mADD mike
09-08-08, 09:48 PM
Alright, I made a pledge, so here is what went on today:

Got to work at 7:00 AM. Got home from work at 8:15 PM. Yeah, that's a long day, especially with physical cleaning work. It would have been easy to sit down, relax, and never get up. But, I made a promise to you guys, and I followed through.

I worked out for 1 solid hour, starting at 8:25 and getting on it quickly. I did 45 crunches, 30 push-ups with the perfect push-up (10 regular, 10 wide, 10 close), rode the exercise bike, ran in place, and used the gazelle for the remainder of the time. I wanted to do a little harder core exercises by using my Power 90 program, but I was just physically too tired.

One day down, four to go for my pledge this week. I pretty much just got done and wanted to let you guys know that I did it. If I could on a day like today, others can do a little something too.

I hope others had a good day as well.

Grafter
09-09-08, 12:08 AM
Way to Go Mike! http://www.addforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=232&pictureid=1827

Prusilusken
09-09-08, 07:45 AM
Awesome, Mike!!

I ate well yesterday and trained very lightly.
I am going to that doctorman today to have him shake his head at me because he told me not to move too much, but I don't feel like my hip has gotten any worse, so I think it's okay. My main problem now is that I forgot to put the appointment in my calendar and threw away the little paper where the secretary wrote the time. :(
I tried calling them but I only get the machine, so I'm a little stressed out and know that I really should just get out of the door and in there, but what do I do, I sit here and report and feel that dark cloud sailing in over my head instead.
Why do I do this!!? Some part of me must be ****ing retarded! :'(

justcallmedorie
09-09-08, 08:42 AM
My main problem now is that I forgot to put the appointment in my calendar and threw away the little paper where the secretary wrote the time. :(
I tried calling them but I only get the machine, so I'm a little stressed out and know that I really should just get out of the door and in there, but what do I do, I sit here and report and feel that dark cloud sailing in over my head instead.
Why do I do this!!? Some part of me must be ****ing retarded! :'(

Or ADD? :)

Prusilusken
09-09-08, 01:30 PM
Or ADD? :)

Don't know, Dorie, don't you think it may be a bit of a long shot? ;):D

justcallmedorie
09-09-08, 02:16 PM
Don't know, Dorie, don't you think it may be a bit of a long shot? ;):D

ROFLMAO

Prusilusken
09-09-08, 04:15 PM
:D

Did well on my food again today, so 2 out of 5 days have went well until now, and I feel good about my pledge. :)

mADD mike
09-10-08, 12:07 AM
Glad to see you sticking with your pledge Prusilusken!

Me, I just now got done finishing my hour of exercise for my pledge today. Two down.

I had another long day of work. My wife and I went on a walk at a park for 10 minutes or maybe a little longer between jobs. Then, just now, we got done finishing playing the Wii for the remainder of the hour that I pledged. We boxed, played tennis, and baseball. Anyone that has ever played it knows it can be a good workout. I wanted to do one of my videos, but I didn't have it in me. I worked out nonetheless, and got my hour in though.

Tomorrow I have 2 houses to clean, and a van to detail inside and out. I'm not looking forward to it. I had a hard time getting up for work today, as I was so physically pooped. However, no excuses.

That's my update on my pledge for the day.

DotwithADD
09-10-08, 12:18 AM
Exercise: More than usual today... parked farther away from my class, and walked with a big book bag.. I don't know, though that it's better or not... hope I don't mess up my back. Oh, Saturday, I went square dancing and tried to dance most of the dances.

Food: Trying to eat salads, but unable to chew too much (my gums are messed up - need to floss more).

(can't remember what else I need to report:confused:)

Hope to weigh myself tomorrow at the dr's (oncologist). I have to have him fill out some forms for AFLAC... (may get some $$ back because I've been taking Arimidex and used to take Tamoxifen)... so I'll ask if I can weigh myself.

MECMR
09-10-08, 12:23 AM
A huge cheer for all the pledge keepers!

I have not had as good a week. I was on vacation last week, and had all kinds of time for looooong walks and workouts. This week? Back at work, so not so much. I also don't have an appointment with my personal trainer this week. Ugh.

So, here is MY pledge...I am going to the gym this week. Even if it is just once, even if I only get on the elliptical for 20 minutes, I am going to go!

I can't go on Saturday, so in the next three days I need to get there...hold me to it!

DotwithADD
09-10-08, 12:28 AM
I'm going to make a pledge... and I hope I stick with it...

In addition to going square dancing, etc.. I need to go exercise at Cancer Foundation For Life (for Cancer patients)... I hope I remember. But, if I wear my "New Balance" walking shoes, I should remember. (But just in case, I'll write myself a note and stick it on the computer!)

Oh, wait, I can weigh myself there... yeah!!! I'll do that!

mADD mike
09-10-08, 09:29 AM
MECMR - Good for you on your pledge. Just go to the gym and you'll feel better about it. Personal trainer's would be nice to have, but doing something alone can be pretty fulfilling too. Especially just coming back from vacation. Hope you had a good time!

Have you gone to the gym yet?;) Just trying to hold you to it.

Dot - That Cancer Center sounds like a wonderful place for you to take advantage of. Oh, and I envy those like you that like salads. I am very much anti-vegetable, and I know it hurts my diet a lot. I like green beans, corn, potatoes, carrots, and that is about it as far as veggies go. So, no salads for me, and I know it would help a lot if I liked them. So far, the only one I have ever liked is the Wendy's Mandarin Orange Chicken Salad, and by the time I put the honey mustard dressing on it, it probably isn't that healthy.

I'm off to work. Have a great day!

Prusilusken
09-10-08, 09:52 AM
We're doing good, we're sticking to it!! :)

Only thing is my hip has not improved the least bit.
I'm a bit worried that by the time it's okay again I've lost my momentum...I was so spirited and felt motivated about the exercise when I started out, but it's a bit disheartening that I can't now. Still, at least I can tell myself that I would have if I could, so I don't have to battle the self loathing that would've come creeping up on me if I had just procrastinated.

Good luck at the oncologists, Dot - is that an ordinary three year check up you'll be there for? Don't answer if it's too personal.

justcallmedorie
09-10-08, 11:27 AM
I'm not doing so well this week. Seems like everything has been turned upside down and I can't get it together. Still trying to get things squared away for my daughter and my house is worse than usual. Can't find anything, can't remember where I put anything, things are still in boxes from being moved out of her old room so she can have it back, etc. Husband told me it wasn't any different than usual - since when could I find things or remember anything. That at least caused a smile.

Anyhow, I must tell you that if I get out at all this week I'll be doing good. Makes me mad since I pledged. {sigh}

Everybody else, hang in there, you're doing great!

Prusilusken
09-10-08, 11:50 AM
I'm not doing so well this week. Seems like everything has been turned upside down and I can't get it together.
Anyhow, I must tell you that if I get out at all this week I'll be doing good. Makes me mad since I pledged. {sigh}

Sometimes things are just not that easy...adjust your sails so they'll fit better to how things have turned out. I hope you'll post your results for this week even if they suck - not only will it mean you stick to this, it'll also make someone else (ME!:D) feel a little less abnormally retarded/lazy/unorganized/unconscientious about their results. :)

Next week will be better! :)

justcallmedorie
09-10-08, 12:07 PM
Sometimes things are just not that easy...adjust your sails so they'll fit better to how things have turned out. I hope you'll post your results for this week even if they suck - not only will it mean you stick to this, it'll also make someone else (ME!:D) feel a little less abnormally retarded/lazy/unorganized/unconscientious about their results. :)

Next week will be better! :)

Oh I plan on posting my "results" (haha), I just feel bad because I pledged to work out Tuesday-Friday. I can't even get to my treadmill at the moment and I've been oversleeping in the mornings, grrrrrrrr.

At least on the food front I've been a good girl, so maybe the pounds will at least reflect that. Of course, I don't remember what I posted as a starting weight. Damn, I wish meds WERE a magic elixir...as it is, I have to wonder how screwed up my head would be right now without them.

Prusilusken
09-10-08, 01:09 PM
:O W00T! just found out I lost an inch on my waist! :)

justcallmedorie
09-10-08, 01:18 PM
Way to go!!!

MECMR
09-10-08, 05:06 PM

YAHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! That's great!

::applause::

justcallmedorie
09-10-08, 07:48 PM
I took it upon myself to grab the dog and hit the pavement as soon as I got home from work, so I worked out after all, whew. I feel much better mentally for doing that. Hopefully I'll be able to repeat in the morning before work...have a great evening, y'all (or whatever time of day it is in your corner of the world).:)

DotwithADD
09-11-08, 04:25 AM
Update....

Well, I didn't:o go to CFFL (Cancer Foundation For Life) to walk on the treadmill, I got distracted... (imagine that:rolleyes::D), and by the time I went shopping. Sometimes I don't buy anything, or just one thing and walk around the store taking mental notes (which I'll probably forget) of what I'll really need later. Even if I were to ever win a million $$, I'd still go broke buying everything that I think I need. So, I hope, should that happen (LOL - it won't, I don't play the lottery), I'll remember to buy a big enough building to store it all in.

Anyway, sorry, distracted again...

I did walk around the store after I parked far away from the entrance to add to my walking.

Will try again to go to CFFL tomorrow.

Prusilusken
09-11-08, 08:59 AM
Yay, Dorie - good to hear that you got out!
So per your own definition, you've already done good this week! :)
If you get tomorrow too, you'll have done great! :D

Good luck with the CFFL tomorrow, Dot! :)

justcallmedorie
09-11-08, 09:47 AM
Yay, Dorie - good to hear that you got out!
So per your own definition, you've already done good this week! :)
If you get tomorrow too, you'll have done great! :D

Good luck with the CFFL tomorrow, Dot! :)

I done good! Me & the dog did our thing this morning - ran 2.1 miles with no idea of the time - didn't take the stopwatch. But I ran the whole way - yay me!!!

I decided the house would be organized eventually, I was going to give ME top priority.

Thanks guys!

mADD mike
09-11-08, 10:11 AM

Cool! Keep up whatever you can do, even if your hip limits you. There is always something you can do, so you don't have to lose all momentum waiting on the hip.

Kudos to everyone else for getting out there as well.

Dot, maybe you can make going to CFFL the first thing you do in the morning, so that you can't get distracted too much. You know, kind of hyperfocus on it a bit the night before, lay everything out to go first thing the next morning, and just do it. I hope you got to go today.

As for me, I did my hour of exercise last night and then crashed, so I didn't report last night. Another long day of work, and then I came home and did a combination of the exercise bike, gazelle, wii sports, 30 push ups, 45 crunches, and I think that's it. Two more days left on my pledge, and three down.

mADD mike
09-12-08, 12:27 AM
Just got done with day 4 of my pledge to work out for 1 hour each day. I played Wii sports, rode the exercise bike, and ran hard on the gazelle. Onoe more day, and I'll have my 5 days in. Then I'll take the weekend off to recuperate.....maybe. I kind of like pushing myself like this.

justcallmedorie
09-12-08, 05:21 AM
It's raining here and my treadmill isn't exactly accessible at the moment. :(

I will however be doing "physical labor" at work today - boxing up old files and rearranging all of the project files, if that counts...

I may try to access my treadmill when I get home this afternoon. At least I've done better this week than I thought I would.

Later gators.

Prusilusken
09-12-08, 08:07 AM
I'm doing good too.

My hip/leg is pretty much the same unfortunately, but I had some lazerthingy that is supposed to help pointed at some different places today, and hope things are going to loosen up a bit finally. I am also going to make an appointment to have some acupuncture one of these days. It sucks to be on welfare. I have no money at all left this month. Actually I've already overdrawn my account.
Fortunately, I don't do that very often, and this time there were no way around it, but I still feel bad about it. :(

But other than that aspect, things are looking good.
This was the perfect time to start the ADDFit Project for me, so thanks again Mike, for starting it up, and thanks to all you guys for the support until now! :)

lostranslation
09-12-08, 08:48 PM
Took three walks this week, about a mile each. Also went on a manic cleaning spree pretty much all week, hauling lot's of stuff up and down stairs, and taking stuff out to the shed. My jeans are getting loose!
I'm starting a new medication (Zyprexa) tonight that tends to cause weight gain, but hopefully only short term. The Remeron is bad enough- makes me crave carbs like crazy.

DotwithADD
09-12-08, 10:12 PM
Okay, been busy... BUT, I DID exercise at CFFL yesterday on the treadmill. I weighed myself first...

Walked on the treadmill at 1.8 mph (will increase next week, 1.8 mph seemed a little slow - will try 1.9 next week) for 33 minutes.

Will keep y'all updated... of course!

mADD mike
09-12-08, 10:30 PM
Okay, been busy... BUT, I DID exercise at CFFL yesterday on the treadmill. I weighed myself first...

Walked on the treadmill at 1.8 mph (will increase next week, 1.8 mph seemed a little slow - will try 1.9 next week) for 33 minutes.

Will keep y'all updated... of course!

Awesome Dot! It feels good, doesn't it, to get out and do something like that. Good for you! I personally look forward to your updates, and to seeing you keep up the good work. That CFFL sounds like a great place to work out.

Go ahead and post in the results thread for this week. You worked out, and you earned it. I'm quite proud of you, because I know it hasn't been easy for you, but you did it anyway.

DotwithADD
09-12-08, 10:34 PM
Awesome Dot! It feels good, doesn't it, to get out and do something like that. Good for you! I personally look forward to your updates, and to seeing you keep up the good work. That CFFL sounds like a great place to work out.

Go ahead and post in the results thread for this week. You worked out, and you earned it. I'm quite proud of you, because I know it hasn't been easy for you, but you did it anyway.

I most certainly does, Thanks, Mike! It also helps with "depression" making me feel better physically and emotionally! Definitely going back next week. Just in case you or anyone else is interested, here is the weblink about CFFL! http://www.cancerfoundationforlife.org/about.html

DotwithADD
09-12-08, 10:35 PM
Where's the results thread, again, Mike???

mADD mike
09-12-08, 10:52 PM
Where's the results thread, again, Mike???

It is the "Friday 9/12 GFC Results Thread - Post Them Here", listed as a sticky here in the exercise forum, just above this one I believe. Or at least until I post, then it will be just below I guess. Anyway, Grafter is so kind as to sticky them for us, so that we have them at the top to see.

Even before I knew that I had ADD, I knew that I was bummed a lot, whether or not technically depressed. I probably was/am at times though. Exercise has always made me feel better, but as an ADDer, I've had trouble sticking with it. However, making this group, and seeing everyone else get going and feeling better too, that makes me want to stick with it even more. I like getting to work with everyone else in the group. I don't personally know anyone on here, but it makes me feel like part of something bigger to take part in this and help others. The depressed feelings then don't seem so bad anymore.

mADD mike
09-12-08, 11:59 PM
Okay, there you go. Just polished off my last hour of working out to complete my pledge of 1 hour per day for the week, M-F. I broke today's up some, doing some Wii sports, some crunches, walking, push-ups, and I think that was it for today. I'm pretty happy that I made it, as I said no excuses from the beginning, and I had plenty of them this week.

I've had headaches, very little sleep, my car broke down today between jobs, I couldn't get to a job because I left supplies in my wife's car, every day had been stretched out moreso than it had to be, and there have been some heavy personal issues to address in my life this week in my everyday life. This shows me that if I can exercise on a week like this, I can do it another week, and if I can do it, others can set their own goals and reach them too.

I already have a pledge in mind for next week. I'll put that in my post to summarize this week and let everyone know how the group did and is doing.

Have a great weekend everybody!

Mike

Prusilusken
09-13-08, 02:21 PM
The Remeron is bad enough- makes me crave carbs like crazy.

Yeah, it does, doesn't it!?
I was on it for 3 months a few years ago, and felt awful.
I couldn't think about anything else than stuffing my face, even if I felt really full. I'm kinda glad it didn't work on my brain the way it was supposed to, because I think it's a very hard side effect to deal with.

Way to go Mike!
You kept your pledge! :)

justcallmedorie
09-14-08, 08:48 AM
I'm going to take today as a day of "rest" (no formal exercise, but still plodding away at trying to get "re"organized after daughter moving back home. I don't think that will ever be completely done, but at least I think I can find more things now than I could this time last week!

mADD mike
09-15-08, 06:34 AM
Wow, yesterday was wild. I guess Indiana has now been hit by a hurricane, lol. I think it was the remnants of Ike that came through, with very strong sustained winds yesterday, and we just got power back at a couple of hours ago. We lost some of our roofing, and our storm door had a shed slam into it and busted the glass. We were at religious services yesterday when it really hit here hard, and some of the roof was damaged while we were there. They organized a group to help everyone out with roof damage, and they came by and tarped our roof for us in case it should rain. I went and bought a bunch of supplies at Lowes, getting all seven of the tarps that were left, and some wood to use in putting them down on people's roofs. That should have been enough to fix up ours and hopefully they used them on some other people's. Then my wife and I went in search of my parents across the river, since we couldn't get in contact with them, and they were just fine, though without power. There are trees down all over the place, and many still without power throughout the area. We usually get ours back on semi-quickly as there are some elderly care facilities nearby.

So, I'll update everything at GFC later today when I get back from work, assuming that the houses we have scheduled to clean today are okay. I may not have much work to go to. Who knows? That was very strange. I don't think we've ever experienced anything like that before, other than tornadoes, but those are expected at times.

justcallmedorie
09-15-08, 09:33 AM
Wow, yesterday was wild. I guess Indiana has now been hit by a hurricane, lol. I think it was the remnants of Ike that came through, with very strong sustained winds yesterday, and we just got power back at a couple of hours ago. We lost some of our roofing, and our storm door had a shed slam into it and busted the glass. We were at religious services yesterday when it really hit here hard, and some of the roof was damaged while we were there. They organized a group to help everyone out with roof damage, and they came by and tarped our roof for us in case it should rain. I went and bought a bunch of supplies at Lowes, getting all seven of the tarps that were left, and some wood to use in putting them down on people's roofs. That should have been enough to fix up ours and hopefully they used them on some other people's. Then my wife and I went in search of my parents across the river, since we couldn't get in contact with them, and they were just fine, though without power. There are trees down all over the place, and many still without power throughout the area. We usually get ours back on semi-quickly as there are some elderly care facilities nearby.

So, I'll update everything at GFC later today when I get back from work, assuming that the houses we have scheduled to clean today are okay. I may not have much work to go to. Who knows? That was very strange. I don't think we've ever experienced anything like that before, other than tornadoes, but those are expected at times.

Wow. We had the winds as well, but nothing like that! Hope everything turns out ok!

Me & dog ran 2.1 miles in 26 minutes with 5 minute warmup/cooldown. It was the easiest run yet. I think I might not try to follow C25K, but continue on the 2.1 mile route until I'm able to shave an appreciable amount of time off of it, then start branching out and extending the distance. I've come to the conclusion that my daughter won't be running with me much at all as she works late and getting up in time to go with me isn't all that do-able for her.

Got the newly disorganized stuff organized this weekend and now only have the regularly disorganized stuff to go through and try to do something with - declutter/throw away, etc. I'm getting there...:)

Prusilusken
09-15-08, 09:16 PM
Does anyone have any ideas for exercise that doesn't include hip/leg (the pain is radiating right down to my right foot! Grrr...) i.e. upper body exercises?
I don't want something that makes my muscles bigger, I have that SS Ilse concrete throwing manlike lesbian tendency already, hehe...so maybe some yoga exercises or...I don't know?

If anyone of you have ideas, it would be greatly appreciated - and if those suggestions come with fx a youtube video to help me along even further, I'll try to remember to refer to you as "Mentor", "Goddess", "Spirited One" or any other name of your choosing for the remainder of this week! :D

mADD mike
09-15-08, 10:19 PM
Okay, it is time for another state of the GFC address.

1. We had 9 people report this week, which seems about average. We got a few newbies, but had a couple that didn't report as well. If you forgot to for some reason, don't hesitate to do it now. Better late than never.

2. For those that have stuck this out from the beginning, if you exercise and report this week, you get to move up another medal, to the blue one.

3. Don't forget that in order to move up your medals, you not only have to check in on the results thread, you must report that you did some sort of exercise on purpose above and beyond the norm for you. If you don't report for 2 weeks in a row, you go back to the black medal and start over. It isn't how many times you fall down, it is how many times you get back up that makes one successful.

4. I would personally like to welcome DotWithADD and DesertDave to the group. They reported for the first time on this past Friday. Welcome, and let us know if we can help in any way.

5. Kudos to those that made pledges last week to do something specific and that put forth solid effort to follow through. Setting a goal in advance for the week and striving to stick with it will help make you successful. Once you put it out there for all of us to see, it puts a little added pressure on you to follow through. If you don't want to make a pledge on here for us to see sometime, do it yourself by setting a goal and reach for it that week. Don't make it some long term goal that you will have to wait for months to reach, if everything goes as planned, it can be as simple as to walk so many miles, to exercise so many hours, etc.

6. This week we lost a total of 14.2 lbs!! That is great!! That brings our total for the first 4 weeks to 35.35 pounds gone.

And now, for my personal pledge for the week:

I pledge to work out using the Power 90 dvd's that I seem to avoid though they make me feel great. I will do the Cardio dvd 3 times between now and the end of the day Friday. That is my pledge to you, and to myself.

DotwithADD
09-16-08, 01:04 AM
Does "housework" count??? Like going around in each room, picking up trash, laundry, dishes, etc...??? I'm sure it depends how it's done, isn't it?? Like if I bend over a bunch and make myself reach (stretch) for things...

justcallmedorie
09-16-08, 06:45 AM
Does "housework" count??? Like going around in each room, picking up trash, laundry, dishes, etc...??? I'm sure it depends how it's done, isn't it?? Like if I bend over a bunch and make myself reach (stretch) for things...

Wellll...Mike did say "above and beyond" and that would certainly be above and beyond for me-LOL.

I just got in from my 2.1 mile run. It wasn't any harder than yesterday, first time I've done it 2 days in a row, was expecting it to be difficult. Now maybe I can work on building speed/endurance. Daughter swears up and down she's going to start getting up with me, and if she does, I'll just run intervals with her 'til she's up to the whole way running, then on days she doesn't get up I'll run. Yeah, that works for me.

Oh and I got over 10,000 steps on my pedometer yesterday. I don't always remember to use it, but when I do I like to keep track...

Have a great day, y'all.

justcallmedorie
09-16-08, 06:48 AM
Okay, it is time for another state of the GFC address.

2. For those that have stuck this out from the beginning, if you exercise and report this week, you get to move up another medal, to the blue one.

Ahem (makes throat clearing noise), link please? :D

Also, my pledge is to "just do it" every day 'til the weekend, then see what the weekend brings. If my truck gets fixed (new transmission :(), I'll be at the farm and will be generally physically active. If not, I guess I'll take one of the weekend days off, but do something the other...for a total of 5 days minimum this week. Girl Scout's honor.

justcallmedorie
09-16-08, 06:50 AM
Does anyone have any ideas for exercise that doesn't include hip/leg (the pain is radiating right down to my right foot! Grrr...) i.e. upper body exercises?
I don't want something that makes my muscles bigger, I have that SS Ilse concrete throwing manlike lesbian tendency already, hehe...so maybe some yoga exercises or...I don't know?

If anyone of you have ideas, it would be greatly appreciated - and if those suggestions come with fx a youtube video to help me along even further, I'll try to remember to refer to you as "Mentor", "Goddess", "Spirited One" or any other name of your choosing for the remainder of this week! :D

I wish I knew some, but you can call me Goddess if you wish-ROFLMAO...:p

Try googling?

Prusilusken
09-16-08, 06:56 AM
*Giggle* No - no easy cutsies to divine names, Dorie! :D

Great job everyone - and a fond hello to Dot and Dave!

Prusilusken's pledge for the week:
I'll do 15 mins of torso exercises for American Tribal Dance in which I've just taken a few classes, wednesday, thursday, friday, and at least 30 bellycrunches or whatever they're called, every day throughout this week, incl. today.

mADD mike
09-16-08, 09:19 AM
Ahem (makes throat clearing noise), link please? :D

Also, my pledge is to "just do it" every day 'til the weekend, then see what the weekend brings. If my truck gets fixed (new transmission :(), I'll be at the farm and will be generally physically active. If not, I guess I'll take one of the weekend days off, but do something the other...for a total of 5 days minimum this week. Girl Scout's honor.

Just as there's no "easy cutsies" to the divine names in Prusilusken's posts, you still have to make it to the end of this week and report to get your next medal. I have to check and see if anyone else has qualified for the green medal yet. This whole stupid windstorm over the weekend, my car breaking down between cleaning jobs last week, and general add induced disorganization have piled up on me and caused me to fall behind a bit on compiling things. Bear with me. I'm sure you'll be qualifying, or already qualify, for the next medal, but you have to wait until Friday when the reporting takes place.

I see that you have some car repairs, or truck repairs, to do too. Aren't they wonderful when they break down?

Good for you for your pledge. You said that you would "just do it", and I remember that last week I mentioned "no excuses", and it really helped to keep that little phrase in the front of my mind each day to get things done regardless of what came up. It helped me to focus on that pledget that I made, and I'm sure that your phrase will help you. Good work!

mADD mike
09-16-08, 09:34 AM

Regular housework doesn't count, as this group is about doing something above and beyond to make yourself feel better. When you put your mind into improving yourself, and push yourself to do something you might not normally do, you feel better about yourself. We all have different abilities, but we can all push ourselves to do more than we would normally do. I clean houses professionally, so believe me, if cleaning house counted, I work out for many hours every day. But the point is to put yourself out there and do something consciously to improve the quality of your life.

Walking is something that anyone can do without special equipment, in just about any weather, and it is low impact but makes an impact in the way you feel. I always recommend it to anyone that is looking for something less strenuous to kick things off.

justcallmedorie
09-16-08, 10:00 AM
Just as there's no "easy cutsies" to the divine names in Prusilusken's posts, you still have to make it to the end of this week and report to get your next medal. I have to check and see if anyone else has qualified for the green medal yet. This whole stupid windstorm over the weekend, my car breaking down between cleaning jobs last week, and general add induced disorganization have piled up on me and caused me to fall behind a bit on compiling things. Bear with me. I'm sure you'll be qualifying, or already qualify, for the next medal, but you have to wait until Friday when the reporting takes place. Heheh, thought it seemed early, but it was worth a try.:p

I see that you have some car repairs, or truck repairs, to do too. Aren't they wonderful when they break down? Car had to have a belt tensioner and wheel speed sensor, covered under extended warranty minus the deductible. Not too bad. My truck however has to have a new transmission {sigh} and the 4WD switch has to be replaced. And I JUST paid off the credit card. Oh well.

Good for you for your pledge. You said that you would "just do it", and I remember that last week I mentioned "no excuses", and it really helped to keep that little phrase in the front of my mind each day to get things done regardless of what came up. It helped me to focus on that pledget that I made, and I'm sure that your phrase will help you. Good work! Let me tell you, if it wasn't for my pledge last week (that I almost made, minus one day) I might not have done much of anything. Think I was having a major pity party at my house...decided I might feel better if I just got out and exercised, and lo and behold, I did!

My replies in green above...(wouldn't have put this here, except it wouldn't let me post unless I "said" something).

mADD mike
09-17-08, 10:22 AM
Well, I did the first day of my pledge yesterday, doing the first Power 90 dvd, the cardio workout. I said I would do it 3 times by Friday, and that is one down.

For those of you not familiar with it, it involves doing things like stretching, "power" yoga, running in place, jumping jacks, punching (my favorite part), kicking, sweating, whining, crying, lol.

justcallmedorie
09-17-08, 10:30 AM
Well, I did the first day of my pledge yesterday, doing the first Power 90 dvd, the cardio workout. I said I would do it 3 times by Friday, and that is one down.

For those of you not familiar with it, it involves doing things like stretching, "power" yoga, running in place, jumping jacks, punching (my favorite part), kicking, sweating, whining, crying, lol.

Yay Mike!

I ran again, only today it was really really difficult. I don't know if I should skip a day of actual running occasionally and just walk and/or run intervals, or if I was just having an off day. I guess I'll play it by ear. Anyhow, I did it!

mADD mike
09-17-08, 11:18 AM
Yay Mike!

I ran again, only today it was really really difficult. I don't know if I should skip a day of actual running occasionally and just walk and/or run intervals, or if I was just having an off day. I guess I'll play it by ear. Anyhow, I did it!

Good for you! You can always try a day of walking and see what difference it makes in between. If it drags you down, maybe you just had a bad day, but if it helps your running days, then maybe it is a good idea. Just do it!

toodistracted
09-17-08, 07:38 PM
I really need this thread! I need to start running again but I have trouble getting motivated.

I'm horribly fatigued during the day and I know exercise will help but the key is to make myself get out there and do it.

I'll read through this thread. I know that it'll give me some encouragement!

Prusilusken
09-17-08, 07:58 PM
I really need this thread! I need to start running again but I have trouble getting motivated.

I'm horribly fatigued during the day and I know exercise will help but the key is to make myself get out there and do it.

I'll read through this thread. I know that it'll give me some encouragement!

Welcome Toodistracted!

I hope this thread based fitness project of Mike's will help you as it has already helped me! :)

So do you do anything else for exercise normally, besides running?

toodistracted
09-17-08, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the welcome! :)

I'm looking forward to being a part of this great thread.

Running was always my main form of exercise. I used to be a runner a few years ago but I started slacking off (big time) and kept eating and I ended up gaining weight.

I guess the weight thing and being self-conscious of that is one of my main excuses for putting it off but I should just make myself get out there and do it. I always feel better afterwards.

mADD mike
09-18-08, 01:13 AM

Running was always my main form of exercise. I used to be a runner a few years ago but I started slacking off (big time) and kept eating and I ended up gaining weight.

I guess the weight thing and being self-conscious of that is one of my main excuses for putting it off but I should just make myself get out there and do it. I always feel better afterwards.

Awesome TD! You know, sometimes our health is like our finances. You lose a job and have no money coming in, but bills still come to your door, and unless you have a bunch of savings, it hurts. With our health, we may stop working, as in working out, but we still have to eat, and if we aren't one of those few people with really good eating habits, it catches up to us. That hurts too.

I'm really glad to have you. I have an idea in the works for the GFC members that will involve running/walking and keep things fun. It will take me a few weeks to put together though. Join in, and stay tuned.

Glad to have you here.

Mike

Prusilusken
09-18-08, 07:59 AM
WOOHOOO!!!
Just got the map for my handheld GPS in the mail now, and my hip is slowly getting better, so maybe it won't be too long before I can start hiking and geocaching! :)

justcallmedorie
09-18-08, 09:22 AM

I guess the weight thing and being self-conscious of that is one of my main excuses for putting it off but I should just make myself get out there and (just) do it. I always feel better afterwards.

That's sort of my mantra/pledge. You CAN do it!

I didn't get up in time this morning to go out before work so me & dog will go after work. Undecided yet as to whether or not it will be walk or run or combo. At this point it may depend entirely on the outside temperature...:)

toodistracted
09-18-08, 08:45 PM
Mike, I am really looking forward to the running/walking plan you have in the works. I will stay tuned and be ready for it!

Prusilusken, I hope your hip heals up and feels much better very soon! (So you can go hiking!) Woohoo!!!

justcallmedorie, I hope you had a great workout after work!

Okay, I am thinking that I may go out for a run.... but I'm trying to get my mind psyched.

I'm thinking that I should just go throw my running clothes on and tell myself that I'm going for a 5 minute walk and then 5 more minutes and so on... gotta trick my mind sometimes when it can't find the motivation.

Today, I drank a slim-fast shake for breakfast, had fish sticks for lunch, and a grilled chicken wrap from subway for dinner. I don't know if they were healthy choices or not, but I know they are HEALTHIER choices than I've been making. Progress... :)

I'm here cheering for all of you and I will keep you posted on what's going on in my world.

This is my favorite thread here! It inspires me. :o

justcallmedorie
09-18-08, 08:54 PM
Mike, I am really looking forward to the running/walking plan you have in the works. I will stay tuned and be ready for it!

Prusilusken, I hope your hip heals up and feels much better very soon! (So you can go hiking!) Woohoo!!!

justcallmedorie, I hope you had a great workout after work!

Okay, I am thinking that I may go out for a run.... but I'm trying to get my mind psyched.

I'm thinking that I should just go throw my running clothes on and tell myself that I'm going for a 5 minute walk and then 5 more minutes and so on... gotta trick my mind sometimes when it can't find the motivation.

Today, I drank a slim-fast shake for breakfast, had fish sticks for lunch, and a grilled chicken wrap from subway for dinner. I don't know if they were healthy choices or not, but I know they are HEALTHIER choices than I've been making. Progress... :)

I'm here cheering for all of you and I will keep you posted on what's going on in my world.

This is my favorite thread here! It inspires me. :o

I had a pretty decent walk with the hound after work. Wasn't what I wanted, but it was a pretty good walk. I'm going to do my utmost to drag out of bed in the morning at 4:30 so we can get our run in. Headed to bed right now. Nighty night alll. Yeah, I know, too many llls...Lunesta has done kicked my butt and typing is kinda difficult right now.

mADD mike
09-18-08, 08:57 PM
WOOHOOO!!!
Just got the map for my handheld GPS in the mail now, and my hip is slowly getting better, so maybe it won't be too long before I can start hiking and geocaching! :)

Ooooh, you like to geocache too? If you go to the photography forum at the bottom of the main forums, I have a thread where I've posted some photos from hiking and caching with my wife. I've also got some photos in my album under my profile.

We just started last year, bought the Garmin hand-held gps, and use geocaching.com to find the caches that we want to to. We haven't done any since it got hot in the late spring and summer, because everything is all grown up and their are bees and mosquitoes everywhere. However, we can't wait for it to cool off so that they bugs will die off and we will be able to go again. I never had fun in the winter before, growing up my mom was always afraid we would get sick, and she never let us play in the snow or when it was cold. Last winter my wife and I went out hiking and caching when it was really cold, but we dressed appropriately and it was the best winter I've ever had. (We even had a large snowfall, for us, I think about a foot, and my wife got me to go outside and play in it. That was awesome, as I can be hard to loosen up and she got me to play like a little kid in it. I'll never forget that.) I hope this winter is even better.

Have you been caching long? Do you ever take a camera along? I bet you would have some neat pictures, since you live in a different country than I. I really hope your hip feels better so you can get out and do some. That was the first thing I've done in a long time that let me actually feel happy. I had forgotten how that felt for a really long time. The exercise, the smell of clean, crisp fall/winter air, and going out in nature where nobody else is around, is so much fun.

toodistracted
09-18-08, 09:00 PM
justcallmedorie, Good for you for getting a walk in even though it wasn't what you wanted. Goodnight and good luck on your morning run. :)

toodistracted
09-18-08, 09:07 PM
How do I stop procrastinating? Just make myself get out there?

mADD mike
09-18-08, 09:53 PM

Here is what has helped me. I started last week with making a pledge on here to everyone else. I said that I would work out for one hour each day for last week, M-F, no excuses. There were plenty of reasons that I could have put off working out, but once I laid it out there for all to see, I had to do it. I kept repeating, over and over, throughout the week whenever I would start to feel really tired and drained, and needed to work out for an hour at 11:00 PM.......................NO EXCUSES!!

And it worked, I did what I pledged. This week I have another one, and I'll do it again, because there are no excuses. I know that it makes me feel better mentally, and physically, so why wouldn't I do it if there are no excuses?

That really helped me last week, and is continuing to do so as long as I make public pledges in front of everyone here in the group.

You can also do things like reward yourself for exercising.....no, not with your favorite food or dessert. Or, put everything out so that you are ready to go first thing in the morning, and set your alarm early. If you are up, you might as well do it. Find a buddy to go running or walking with you. Work some sort of plan like the couch to 5k program discussed in this very thread. Find some neat places to run and go there and do it, maybe something scenic. Get you an mp3 player and load it with whatever makes you feel good, some sort of music that gets your heart pumping. Variety is the spice of life, especially for us ADDers. Switch things up, adding in other exercises. Heck, run backward if you want, just not on a busy street, lol.

There are other people here that run/walk. I'll be extending some motivation at some point in the near future, but for now, get out there and get going. If nothing else, know that something is coming in the future here on GFC for running/walking that you might want to prepare for.

Oh, and here is another great reason. I don't know if you noticed yet, but we all get medals for participating in this program. Go back to the first page of this thread, and follow directions so that you can proudly display your black medal for joining in. After a couple of weeks, you move up to green, then blue (we have some blue medals being handed out this week), and so on. All you have to do is report exercise each Friday in the thread that I'll start for it. Again, go back to page one, read the first post or two, and play along.

Mike

justcallmedorie
09-19-08, 05:07 AM
justcallmedorie, Good for you for getting a walk in even though it wasn't what you wanted. Goodnight and good luck on your morning run. :)

Thanks, but I totally feel just another walk (way longer though) is coming rather than a run. I almost feel like I'm trying to catch some kind of bug, grrrrrr.

justcallmedorie
09-19-08, 05:09 AM

With me it's getting my sorry butt outta bed at a disgusting hour so I can get it over and done with. That and knowing that if I don't get some kind of exercise, my doctor thinks she's going to put me on statins, and that just ain't happenin'!

Oh yeah, and what Mike said about the medals. I really really really want a gold one! (read back to the earlier posts, I sort of wouldn't shut up about it-lol).

toodistracted
09-19-08, 05:37 AM
Hi everyone,

I am officially pledging to you all that I am going to run at least 3 days in the upcoming week on a local track. I will try to add in more days but my goal for now is 3 days since this is week 1 for me. I want to set a realistic goal and I don't want to overwhelm myself from the beginning.

Next Friday, I will report my exercise results and any weight loss (if it happens in the first week).

So I officially declare myself a member of the Get Fit Club and I'll proudly display my medal.

TD

toodistracted
09-19-08, 05:55 AM
Hey you guys,

I got my black medal and put it in my signature. I'm testing it out now to see if it comes up.

When I first got on this thread, I had no idea about medals but that is a really great goal to work towards. I'm motivated now. I wanna green medal!!! I wanna be like you guys! I'm running this week. :D

toodistracted
09-19-08, 06:00 AM
Thanks, but I totally feel just another walk (way longer though) is coming rather than a run. I almost feel like I'm trying to catch some kind of bug, grrrrrr.

I hope it's not a bug. Start out with a walk and then if you feel like picking it up while you're in the middle of the walk, you can. Maybe this was your body's way of telling you to take a couple easier walk days. I know that it can be annoying when you really want to run but it shouldn't be too much longer before you're back to your run.

And woohoo, you're on your way to the gold medal! That is fabulous!!! Keep it up! :)

justcallmedorie
09-19-08, 07:40 AM
I hope it's not a bug. Start out with a walk and then if you feel like picking it up while you're in the middle of the walk, you can. Maybe this was your body's way of telling you to take a couple easier walk days. I know that it can be annoying when you really want to run but it shouldn't be too much longer before you're back to your run.

And woohoo, you're on your way to the gold medal! That is fabulous!!! Keep it up! :)

I had good intentions, but the granddog wound up begging to go too and there was no way I could run with 2 dogs, a leash in each hand. But it was a good walk - 2.6 miles (more or less) and the granddog really enjoyed it. My dog just looked at me like, "mom, you can't REALLY be going to take him too!!" :p

toodistracted
09-19-08, 08:15 AM
I had good intentions, but the granddog wound up begging to go too and there was no way I could run with 2 dogs, a leash in each hand. But it was a good walk - 2.6 miles (more or less) and the granddog really enjoyed it. My dog just looked at me like, "mom, you can't REALLY be going to take him too!!" :p

That sounds like a good workout. 2.6 mile walk and 2 dogs! You had your hands full, LOL!:D

I almost went running last night. I put on my running clothes but then realized that it was very late so I ended up not going. But at least I put the running clothes on. That was a step in the right direction. ;) But I will be exercising this week so I can get my medal. (I'm excited about it as you can see!)

toodistracted
09-19-08, 09:36 AM
Will exercise help my fatigue? I suffer from awful fatigue and I'm tired all of the time.

Prusilusken
09-19-08, 10:50 AM
Hey TooD.
You really don't need the running gear to start out with - just put on the shoes and go for a 10 min walk, and even if you feel like doing more at that time, go home.
Maybe that'll leave you with a greater desire to get out next time - and then you can "treat yourself" with going out twice, and if you still want to go after ten minutes, let yourself do a bit more without overdoing it.
Your running clothes - don't let your brain make them an obstacle.
You can do without them until they're not anymore.

Just a suggestion, that I think could work for me, at least sometimes. :)

Everyone: Following through with my pledge. A little unevenly, since wednesday I procrastinated and then forgot, but I did a "double shift" yesterday, so I still feel that I can look at my accomplishment and feel that I did good.
Oh - and I put up my plegde from 30 small ab crunches a day to 60 (20 "right on" and 20 "skewed ones" to each side.) Feel perdy good about that! :D

Prusilusken
09-19-08, 10:55 AM
Will exercise help my fatigue? I suffer from awful fatigue and I'm tired all of the time.

I'm pretty sure it will, yes.
I have a friend who has suffered from an almost dibilitating fatigue for years, and it has greatly improved after he started exercising and eating well. Much more than he thought it would, and better than the meds he were offered for it. :)

He had a hard time get going, admittedly, but he says that it gets a lot easier after some time. :)

Good luck!

And remember: Ten minutes sounds like nothing, but it is MUCH better than nothing. It IS worth it going out the door for ten minutes. You'll feel SO good about it, even the smallest stretch. :)

mADD mike
09-19-08, 11:15 AM

Yes, it has helped me a lot. That and trying to cut out some of the garbage that I eat. Oh, and sleep helps too, lol. I've tried to get to bed earlier, though it hasn't worked a lot. However, just the exercise alone gives me more endurance in daily life so that I don't fatigue so quickly.

Prusilusken
09-19-08, 01:40 PM
Ooooh, you like to geocache too?

Have you been caching long? Do you ever take a camera along? I bet you would have some neat pictures, since you live in a different country than I. I really hope your hip feels better so you can get out and do some.

I'm just getting started with the geocaching, Mike, untill a few months ago I had no idea what it was, but the instant I heard about it, I just KNEW it was the perfect way for me to get exercise and have a good time while doing that! It is SO me! :D
I have some new friends who are avid geocahcers and they have promised to let me tag along with them a few times 'till I get the hang of it. :)

I do a bit of hiking, but only a little bit, and when I remember I bring my camera. I'm not a very good photographer, but I love it, when I come home and there are one or two good pics in the cam! :)

I'll take a look at yours and maybe post some myself too, if I find them good enough.

Can't wait to start getting out there - now with my GPS (Garmin eTrex Vista HCx) so I can also find my way home, which has previously been a very big obstacle to me.

GPS for the win!! :D

mADD mike
09-19-08, 08:48 PM
I'm just getting started with the geocaching, Mike, untill a few months ago I had no idea what it was, but the instant I heard about it, I just KNEW it was the perfect way for me to get exercise and have a good time while doing that! It is SO me! :D
I have some new friends who are avid geocahcers and they have promised to let me tag along with them a few times 'till I get the hang of it. :)

I do a bit of hiking, but only a little bit, and when I remember I bring my camera. I'm not a very good photographer, but I love it, when I come home and there are one or two good pics in the cam! :)

I'll take a look at yours and maybe post some myself too, if I find them good enough.

Can't wait to start getting out there - now with my GPS (Garmin eTrex Vista HCx) so I can also find my way home, which has previously been a very big obstacle to me.

GPS for the win!! :D

I've got the Garmin Venture HC, and it is great. You will have a blast doing this, I can't wait to hear how you like it. Do you often have a hard time finding your home? When I was a kid, my mom backed out of the drive to let my dad get his car out for later, and she decided to go around the block in the new neighborhood we just moved to. She showed back up about 45 minutes later. You couldn't just go around a simple block, and she has a terrible sense of direction, so who knows where she ended up going, lol.

Keep me updated on how it goes. I can't wait to go again myself.

mADD mike
09-19-08, 08:53 PM
Well, I'll own up to not completing my pledge for the week. A personal matter came up and has really occupied so much of my time, and drained me emotionally, that I just didn't have it in me yesterday to do the workout video. I planned on doing it twice today to make up for it, but I'm just completely sapped of energy, and I have to go out of town over the weekend, so I'm getting ready. Plus, I have to leave early in the morning, so I need to get some sleep tonight, since I haven't slept the best. I feel bad about not reaching it, but even the "no excuses" mantra couldn't overcome this particular reason.

So, I hope the other pledger's did better. I'll be back on the wagon next week with another pledge, a scaled down one, while I'm getting some things put back together in my life a bit. Some things can't be avoided, and this week has been terrible.

Sorry to let myself down on the pledge, but I'll try not to beat myself up about it too badly, as I do realize that what came up was of greater importance than a week of working out. I still got at least one good workout in though.

Oh, and for you fit clubbers that will be getting new medals, I'm going out of town, so you'll have to wait until Monday for me to put everything together. Because of personal issues of life, I've just run out of time. Sorry, but see you guys and girls on Monday.

Mike

browneyes_326
09-20-08, 12:17 AM
Hello Mike & crew! I'm starting today.

Love this stuff, been writing my my own diets and training programs for years, so please feel free to ask me question ... yay, this can be fun!

My pledge is to make it to the gym 5 days next week ... my goal is to just make it there, that's the hard part, even though it's two blocks from home :)

mADD mike
09-20-08, 06:37 AM
Hello Mike & crew! I'm starting today.

Love this stuff, been writing my my own diets and training programs for years, so please feel free to ask me question ... yay, this can be fun!

My pledge is to make it to the gym 5 days next week ... my goal is to just make it there, that's the hard part, even though it's two blocks from home :)

Awesome, I suggested that you come down here, and you're already here. And way to go with a pledge to kick things off! If you get there, you'll do something, and that is always better than nothing, right. Keep us updated on the progress. I'll probably have a question for you to when I get back, as I'm going out of town shortly. No use asking now, as I'll forget that I asked before I get back, lol.

Welcome!

Mike

DotwithADD
09-20-08, 07:59 PM
I hope to work out more often next week in addition to "climbing stairs at college" and "parking farther away from the store entrances", hopefully going to the CFFL more than two times this next week. But I did go twice this week and Friday did more than walking on the treadmill.

Prusilusken
09-21-08, 10:20 AM
Welcome Browneyes! :)

Mike: I'm known among friends and family to get lost everywhere and always.
Sometimes I get lost on routes that I've walked or drived tens and even hundreds of times before. I've wanted a handheld GPS for years (since before I knew they existed) because without one, I'm basically lost. Which has a lot more disadvantages and impracticalities in everyday life than people think. One thing is my complete lack of sense of direction, but my ADD and therefore poor working memory and distractiveness and weird sense of time, distance and so forth has made it a big addition to my pther problems functioning on even terms with my peers.

But now I have the GPS - Weeee!!!

Geocaching is just a bonus on top of the luxury I now have that I can actually go to our little, local forest and depend on not getting lost and therefore be back fx before nightfall. I'm really looking forwards to that! :)

About exercise and food, though: Bit of a bummer: Went to a polterabend yesterday, which ment eating too much + having a few glasses of wine, so I'm well within the red Kccal-zone for yesterday...it was planned, though, and it's not like I go to things like that every other day, so I'm okay with it.
But didn't do my abs.
But we went to a lesson in poledancing WHICH WAS FUNFUNFUN!!! :D
And very hard and now I have bruises all over from that thing, haha...I look like I've been in a fight!!! :D I'm sure when one get's better, one don't get all those bruises, but then it'll get to be even better exercise. I recommend it. If I'd had the money and emotional surplus, I'd take regular lessons, I swear. Good fun, very difficult and high impact on muscletoning. :)

Food today will be hard as I'm invited to my brothers and sister in laws house to eat, and they like fat food and cakes. But I'll try to keep it to a minimum.
And maybe do two sets of abs when I get home.

See ya, guys! :)

justcallmedorie
09-21-08, 10:41 AM
Pole dancing, huh? My husband would love for me to do that, crinkly 49-yo body and all. (He's just that way-lol).

DotwithADD
09-21-08, 03:08 PM
If I had a pole in my house to dance on, I'd probably run into it forgetting that it's there, LOL... :D

mADD mike
09-21-08, 05:52 PM
Okay pole dancers..........err...............fit club members. It is time for the weekly update. Here you go:

1. We didn't lose any weight as a whole last week, but we didn't gain any either. We netted zero, from those that reported weight. Some didn't report that, and that is fine.

2. We have 3 members that now qualify for blue medals. These members have been doing this for 5 weeks now, since the beginning:

madd mike
justcallmedorie
20trackedmind

We should have some more blue medals handed out next week.

3. We have 2 members that now qualify for their green medals. These members have been doing this for 2 weeks now, and we're glad to have them in the club:

desertdave
dotwithadd

4. We got to welcome 2 new members this week. If you haven't already noticed, we welcome:

toodistracted
browneyes_326

Cool!

So, it has been a pretty good week. Everyone is working out, and most are meeting their pledges, sans me.

My pledge for next week is the following:

I pledge to learn how to use, and then use, the wii fit that I bought several weeks ago, and to do so M-F. Oh, and I pledge to put last week, which was bad in so many ways personally, behind me.

For you runners/walkers out there, I mentioned it earlier, but keep watching, as I'm going to try and put something interesting together for you. No rush, but I want to put together something fun for all, with a goal and maybe even something extra to sweeten the deal. Just keep watching, and I'll let everyone know when I have everything worked out.

Keep on keepin' on!

Mike