View Full Version : treadmill tedium

four_a2002
08-18-08, 04:46 PM
This is for all those wonderful, brave, and adventurous souls that are getting on the bandwagon of the ADD Fit Club. Congratulations to you all, sometimes the first step is the hardest.

The point of this post is that after you take the first step, the next hardest step is climbing on the aerobic equipment at the gym and not going comatose after 10 minutes. We all know that for the treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, etc, etc to be worthwhile, we have to put some serious time on it. If you are anything like me, if I don't amuse myself somehow, I will go crazy.

So i thought i would share some of my strategies in preventing Treadmill Tedium. Hopefully others will jump in with their own ideas.

Most of my suggestions involve a mp3 player. If you don't have one, I highly suggest you get one. They are extremely handy for gym work.

I am in no way encouraging or saying that it is ok to download illegally and if you so choose to do it, you do it at your own peril.

1. Bring a huge variety of music. I bring everything from Mozart to Pink Floyd or Wagner to Nirvana. My moods switch by the minute of what I want to listen to and I never know what I will feel like when I actually do get into the gym. Sometimes I need the drive of Black Sabbath or just need to chill out to Simon and Garfunkel.

2. Pod Casts. A lot of them are fee. One of my favorite freebies is Tank Riot (http://www.tankriot.com/rss.xml). You can find a lot more with minimal work with sites like http://www.digitalpodcast.com/ . Find something that engages your mind so you can concentrate on it. You would be amazed at how fast a half hour can go by when you are listening to something that you find interesting.

3. Audio Books. Can be really great and also very free if you don't mind giving up some quality. Librivox is a cool free site with hundreds if not thousands of books that you can download and listen to.They have everything from "The saying of confuscious" to "the jabberwocky"

4. Old Time Radio. Another excellent free resource for interesting ways to kill a half an hour. Old shows like The Shadow, Abbot and Costello, Sherlock Holmes, Lone Ranger, etc, etc. A couple of good sites: http://www.otr.net/ or http://www.oldtimeradiofans.com/

5. (this one costs money) download your favorite radio show. most popular radio shows well let you buy the right to download past shows. Most are fairly reasonably priced. My choice here is Coast to Coast AM. It is a wonderful show cause I find the strange and the weird fascinating. It gets to the point that I look forward to the cardio time just so I can catch up on my radio show.

The most important thing is that you get moving. Hopefully some of these hints will help make it a little easier.

prtsimmons
08-18-08, 05:13 PM
I occasionally use an mp3 player at the gym, too, but sometimes I really don't like being 'off in my own world' - I prefer to hear the noises and people around me.

Here are my suggestions for 'treadmill tedium':

1) Switch machines - 5 min treadmill, 5 min elliptical, 5 min rowing machine, 5 min stationary bike - if you don't take a break in between, it's just as good as 20 minutes on any single machine.
2) Skipping rope / shadow boxing / hit heavy bag - do 1 minute rounds; rest (or do abs/core/back exercises) for 30 seconds; do another 1 minute round, then another 30 sec. rest. Work your way up to 3-minute rounds - if you can skip or hit the heavy bag for 3 minutes, you are doing very well.
3) Intervals - warm up; walk or jog for 1 minute, then run faster for 30 seconds or a minute, then slow down for a minute. You can change the interval times and the intensity as desired. I find it easier to say, "Okay - just 45 seconds to go... almost there" a bunch of times during the workout, as opposed to having to face 20 minutes of sameness.

Good luck, everybody! You cannot imagine how good you will feel if you manage to do this 3-4 times a week for six weeks... thinking, sleeping, eating, sex, work - all of them get better.

Grafter
08-18-08, 09:55 PM
I've tried. Treadmills & stationaries don't mix well with my ADD, even with the iPod. (And I'm an iPod junkie).

I have just begun to be able to run around and around and around and around a track.... I have some playlists which have the right tempo for the run I'm on.

But these are some great ideas mentioned here! Thanks for posting!

reesah
08-19-08, 08:20 AM
I have an ipod. I watch movies on it while I treadmill. I don't ride the bikes or anything else though.

four_a2002
08-19-08, 09:18 AM
I occasionally use an mp3 player at the gym, too, but sometimes I really don't like being 'off in my own world' - I prefer to hear the noises and people around me.

Here are my suggestions for 'treadmill tedium':

1) Switch machines - 5 min treadmill, 5 min elliptical, 5 min rowing machine, 5 min stationary bike - if you don't take a break in between, it's just as good as 20 minutes on any single machine.
2) Skipping rope / shadow boxing / hit heavy bag - do 1 minute rounds; rest (or do abs/core/back exercises) for 30 seconds; do another 1 minute round, then another 30 sec. rest. Work your way up to 3-minute rounds - if you can skip or hit the heavy bag for 3 minutes, you are doing very well.
3) Intervals - warm up; walk or jog for 1 minute, then run faster for 30 seconds or a minute, then slow down for a minute. You can change the interval times and the intensity as desired. I find it easier to say, "Okay - just 45 seconds to go... almost there" a bunch of times during the workout, as opposed to having to face 20 minutes of sameness.

Good luck, everybody! You cannot imagine how good you will feel if you manage to do this 3-4 times a week for six weeks... thinking, sleeping, eating, sex, work - all of them get better.

Not only are these great ways to not get bored, these are great strategies for working out and getting maximum benefits. When you start your work out habit, the best thing you can do is change, change, and change. Don't let your body get too comfortable by concentrating on a single machine, varying the intensity on a single machine also "shocks" the body out of the norm a little to get much more effect for your effort.

You would be surprised by how much more you will get out of your exercise by just changing a bit like this.

Great comments