View Full Version : How much of a benefit do you get from aerobic exercise?

karl_marx
08-18-08, 08:18 PM
And how much do you guys typicly get? I lift weights alot but I realize thats useless for these purposes I really hate aerobics but if they have enough of a benifit i would be willing to do it.

d2k1
08-18-08, 09:01 PM
Any type of areobic exercise will increase the strength of your heart. The stronger your heart, or "harder" the pump, the more you'll be able to lift (faster recovery times). Ahh crap someones at my door, will continue this post later! But yea... try to get a bit of cardio in your weight training regimine, look into high intensity training intervals (HITI or HIIT?). In short, you sprint for 30 seconds & walk for 5 min, great for weight lose & hgear stregnh!

Go dluck!

Ian
08-19-08, 01:45 AM
The benefit is most dramatic over the first six weeks. A few things have to be in order to see the most dramatic changes. You have to get enough rest. There is no "training" benefit maximized when you're body isn't recovering.

Eat good quality food and lots of fresh veggies.

And the one point I push all the time, the talk test. If you're working too hard to carry on a conversation you're working too hard and not actually training your aerobic system. You should be able to talk, but not sing. There are more scientific determination of the "zone", but that's a really cheap and easy one.

30 - 40 minutes three or four times a week will change you're whole out look in six weeks. Well worth the effort. Once you get basic level done, you'll have your own list of benefits. Euphoria is my favourite. :)
Ian

four_a2002
08-19-08, 05:16 AM
Cardio can greatly effect strength training. You should never lift "cold". It does help to be warmed up before you lift as you will get a greater benefit from the lifting if you are warmed up. If you think cardio is boring when you have to do it, split it up.

This is how a trainer taught me to work cardio in when someone is just starting out. This is just a suggestion, I could only stand doing it this way for a week or two but it may be woth a try.

try starting your workout with 5-10 mins on a cardio machine that moves a majority of your body (arms and legs). Get to your target heart rate and keep it there for a bit. After you get good and sweaty, start your normal weight routine. After 2-4 lifts or after a super set, hop back on a cardio machine for just 3-5 minuted to get your heart beating again. Do it like that for the entire workout. When you are done lifting, 5 minutes or so on a cardio machine at a slow pace is just what the doc ordered to cool down with.

The way I look at it, lifting weights is a huge part of getting in shape and the cardio part is a great way to get all those muscles moving and working together to give you the maximum benefit from your hard work.

Keep it up, sounds like you are on the right track.

mrsmith
08-25-08, 05:14 PM
You have to get enough rest. There is no "training" benefit maximized when you're body isn't recovering.

With aerobic exercise? Would that be the night after? If you sleep 6 hours instead of 7. How much will the effect be reduced?

Ian
08-26-08, 12:03 AM
With aerobic exercise? Would that be the night after? If you sleep 6 hours instead of 7. How much will the effect be reduced?

What I need for recovery has changed over the five years I've been running. I've hit the ditch many times by missing that mark and ended up getting sick or simply exhausting myself and becoming miserable. :rolleyes:

We are all so different and there are so many variables involved, like genetics, that it really is an experiment of one. There are no fixed rule books, although there are well known avenues that tend to benefit most people most of the time. It's a balancing act of applying stress and then recovering enough to allow the application of more stress.

Once you've been doing it a while you'll get to know what you can do and recover from and what might need more time. Given that my brain adapts most quickly, I've learnt not to trust my brain and concentrate very hard on what my body tells me.

If you want to get a feel for the different training zones, you could work at 40 minutes of aerobic (talking easily, but can't sing well type breathing) three times a week for six weeks and then find a 5km race and see where you're at.

If you haven't had a physical lately you might want to throw all this by your doctor before getting under way.

I'm am no speedster, but we are all up against our own limitations whether we're fast or slow so there is no shame in starting at the beginning. I'm way faster than the guy on the couch. ;)

Once you have a time trial of sorts you can plug it into a calculator like this one and come up with paces to stress the various physical systems at work in your training.
http://www.runworks.com/calculator.html

The link below is an image of me racing last Saturday. The women were kind to me, but I could not keep up with them after the half way mark. I think there were 41 in the field that day. 12km done and the next one will be 14km and then the series ends with a 22km race in October. I can hardly believe I do this type of thing now. Patience has been key. I'm so addicted!
http://trailrunmanitoba.com/photos/race_3/Pages/10.html

meadd823
08-26-08, 04:37 AM
And how much do you guys typicly get? I lift weights alot but I realize thats useless for these purposes I really hate aerobics but if they have enough of a benifit i would be willing to do it.

Although the member who wrote the initial thread is umm banned I will answer any way for others - maybe even my self

My job is mostly strength training stuff I lift stuff most of my day which does help me keep fit however I have made the mistake of believing this would benefit me like aerobic exercise does - IN all honestly I do not see the benefit to my memory or organization with just weight lifting like I do when I add aerobic exercises - for me in order to have any benefits at all I have to do 30 minutes no less than five day a week - I notice a much better improvement with one hour daily seven days a week. Please do note the aerobic exercise is in addition to the lifting I do at work

I take medications but I have noticed that my medication do not work as well by them selves as the do when I am exercising regularly

Sandy4957
08-26-08, 05:25 AM
I also see a huge benefit from aerobic exercise. With the right amount of it (a lot, as in, 1-2 hours per day), I don't take medication for anything but reading.

Addaway very kindly bought me John Ratey's book, Spark. But here's a shocker: I haven't read it yet.... heh heh.

Crum bums. It's late. Ok, hitting the hay.