View Full Version : tutoring versus not

FrazzleDazzle
08-19-08, 08:39 PM
Have you had a tutor, and did you find it helpful or not? My son's in high school, and I'm wondering about how he would do with it or how he would do without it.

If you have any experience with tutoring during high school, or you didn't and you wish you did because you thought it would help you, I'd like to know.

Thanks in advance.

Juliak
08-20-08, 02:55 PM
i had tutoring at sylvan learning center where 1 techer helps 1-3 kids with work. i thought it was helpful because there was someone there, and i could ask them questions. also, they could keep me focus and they made sure that i didn't start daydreaming. now, i've stopped tutoring becuase i felt like i could try to use the skills i was taught there to help me focus.

the main things i learned were:
1. try doing all homework in one area all the time, i do it in my kitchen. eventually, i got used to the kitchen and didn't have to/want to look around all the time to see what was there.
2. im a very visual person, so i have special study techniques. i find it helpful for vocab, to write the word down, draw a picture around it that has to do with the word. also, on all my notes, i draw pictures that go along with the notes, so, when i study, i remember the pictures and that reminds me of the words. but your son should ask his friends what they do to study and try a bunch of different techniques until he finds one that really works for him

i think that you should try getting a tutor and stick with it for a couple of months (or one or two report cards) to see how it works out.

Michiko74
09-14-08, 10:47 PM
Your son will probably need tutoring at some point in his education. But I think what is equally important is finding out his learning methods. (Visual/tactile..etc.)