View Full Version : Undiagnosed inattentive ADD from San Jose, CA

faith_8
08-21-08, 12:47 AM
:confused: I am in desperate need of help. I don't have insurance but I really need some help with diagnosing and treating my ADD. I've done the research and done the testing and spoken to counselors and I most likely have inattentive ADD. The only thing that makes me feel "normal" is drinking endless amounts of caffeine, but thats beginning to take a toll on my health. I'm 29 yrs old and am feeling that the older I get, the more out of hand it feels...and the more noticeable the effects its had on my life in all aspects are.

Please, if you live in the area and know of a good Dr. who has a sliding scale or allows you to make payments, please let me know. I found one Dr. in the area that does testing...but he is just sooo expensive- $700 for first visit...150 all visits after that...not including lab fees and medication if needed...

Manoa
09-13-08, 04:37 PM
Hey there, I'm in Palo Alto.

I too didn't know where to turn. I tried a psychiatrist. There's one listed (first name) in the San Mateo phone back that SAYS she specializes in ADHD ... but she's full of crap.

$200 a week to tell me that I buy too many shoes and therefore I'm OCD. She put me on Zoloft which left me in a fog .... really bad for someone who already has problems focusing.

I also have a habit of stacking dog food cans by color ... makes it easier to see. Her brilliant suggestion was to buy less dog food and only one flavor.

I asked if I could have ADD and she flatly refused to discuss it. I wasn't "hyper". Incredibly, she also didn't bother testing me.

I was just diagnosed with Combination ADHD (Inattentive ADD with Impulsive behavior) probably by the Dr. you mention. Honestly though, he's saved my life. I can't believe what an incredibly caring man he is. $700 for initial ... but who would've thought I was combo? And visits will be as needed for medical management ... not weekly.

Okay, lucky for me I have excellent insurance. I highly suggest you look up a therapist named Suzanne (Suzie) Hughes in San Carlos. She can't prescribe, and she leaves on maternity for a few months BUT she was the first person who listened to me with judging and actually gave me suggestions and hope. She's the one who recommended my doctor in San Mateo.

I guess what I'm saying is - don't consider only the immediate financial costs. You could end up finding cheaper docs ... who don't think you have ADD and you have to find another.

Manoa
09-13-08, 05:20 PM
(forgot to add)
The Psychiatrist was so adament that I did not have ADD, she said that my problems focusing, inattention, impatience, etc. was a "learning disability".

If I wanted to pursue a diagnosis, it would be a $3,000 neurological test.

What a nice scam .... $200 a week and $3,000 if I wanted to "push" the diagnosis.

faith_8
09-14-08, 02:17 AM
Hey there, I'm in Palo Alto.

I too didn't know where to turn. I tried a psychiatrist. There's one listed (first name) in the San Mateo phone back that SAYS she specializes in ADHD ... but she's full of crap.

$200 a week to tell me that I buy too many shoes and therefore I'm OCD. She put me on Zoloft which left me in a fog .... really bad for someone who already has problems focusing.

I also have a habit of stacking dog food cans by color ... makes it easier to see. Her brilliant suggestion was to buy less dog food and only one flavor.

I asked if I could have ADD and she flatly refused to discuss it. I wasn't "hyper". Incredibly, she also didn't bother testing me.

I was just diagnosed with Combination ADHD (Inattentive ADD with Impulsive behavior) probably by the Dr. you mention. Honestly though, he's saved my life. I can't believe what an incredibly caring man he is. $700 for initial ... but who would've thought I was combo? And visits will be as needed for medical management ... not weekly.

Okay, lucky for me I have excellent insurance. I highly suggest you look up a therapist named Suzanne (Suzie) Hughes in San Carlos. She can't prescribe, and she leaves on maternity for a few months BUT she was the first person who listened to me with judging and actually gave me suggestions and hope. She's the one who recommended my doctor in San Mateo.

I guess what I'm saying is - don't consider only the immediate financial costs. You could end up finding cheaper docs ... who don't think you have ADD and you have to find another.

Hi there! Thank you so much for this info. Do you remember the doctors name? The one that you think is the one I am speaking of? Because if it is, I think I will try him out. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my post. It's actually very reassuring.
Good to hear you finally got the help you need. I think I may be a combination of anxiety disorder and inattentive...thats just my hunch. I had a very bad case of OCD when I was younger but now its only mild.

Manoa
09-19-08, 08:59 PM
Are we allowed to give out names? I'm not sure. I'll try to send you a private message.

By the way, I also saw another post last week where someone recommended two docs. The one I see and someone else, in San Jose.

I'll try to find it but you might want to do a search on these forums.

faith_8
09-19-08, 10:37 PM
Are we allowed to give out names? I'm not sure. I'll try to send you a private message.

By the way, I also saw another post last week where someone recommended two docs. The one I see and someone else, in San Jose.

I'll try to find it but you might want to do a search on these forums.

I got your private message. Thank you! I will do that for sure! I appreciate you looking into that for me. I'll let you know how it goes.

mikeo
10-17-08, 01:00 PM
Any luck? I'm in the area and looking for someone to do a diagnosis.

I'm also uninsured and it was suggested to me that I go straight to a psychiatrist and skip the psychologist.

meadd823
10-29-08, 02:24 AM

Yes you are allowed to post names if you feel comfortable doing so and it is done as a personal recommendatin and not spam advertizing

I am currently combining all doctor recommendations in the California area in a thread sticked above title doctor recommendations

gilroymama
11-03-08, 12:01 AM
hi
Dr. Tapia in Gilroy treats children and adults with ADHD. Exam is about $300 plus costs for labs. She also has a foundation for children who can not afford it - wishing you well foundation. Parents volunteer time toward foundation. You can see if she can help you. she's treated my daughter with autism and I've seen progress in the other kids there with ADHD.

Best wishes,
Gilroymom

mikeo
03-06-09, 01:08 PM
I ended up signing up for some cheap insurance and my first three visits were covered! Went and found a very good psychiatrist in my area. Pretty sure she has an office in Palo Alto or the peninsula .. but it's been worth every ounce of effort. Meds are partially covered and my out of pocket to the ins co has been ~$160 so far (two months).