View Full Version : SEEKING HEALTHY DESSERT RECIPIES

Andrew
03-14-04, 08:04 PM
Ok you chefs and gourmands out there...I need a few healthy dessert ideas & recipies. Let me see what you've got! :D

Ian
03-14-04, 10:04 PM
Fruit works.. < g >

pembroke
03-14-04, 10:24 PM
i don't know - i've never seen "healthy" and "desert" in the same sentence before....

but i'll keep my eyes peeled...

Andrew
03-14-04, 10:30 PM
I'm thinking more along the lines of "Kid-friendly". Yes, fruit "works" but kids get bored of it easily in its original form. Fruit recipies welcome too :)

Nucking_Futs
03-15-04, 12:24 AM
I have ton's but it will have to wait till the morning. I'm on my way to work. See ya then.

Nucking_Futs
03-15-04, 11:16 AM
OK DESERT'S

S'MORE GORP

2 C. honey graham cereal
2 C. low fat granola cereal
2 C. crispy multi bran cereal squares
2 T. margerine
1 T. honey
1/4 t. ground cinnamon
3/4 C. miniature marshmallows
1/2 C. raisins
1/4 C. mini-semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 275

Combine cereals in nonstick 15x10x1-in jelly roll pan. Melt margarine in small saucepan; stir in honey and cinnamon. Pour margarine mixture evenly over cereal mixture; toss until cereals are well coated. Spread mixture evenly onto bottom of pan.

Bake 35-40 minutes or until crisp, stirring after 20 minutes. Cool completly.

Add marshmallows, raisins and chocolate chips; toss to mix.

I usually double or triple the recipe and freeze what we are not going to eat right away. Does't take it long to thaw.

Nucking_Futs
03-15-04, 11:19 AM
DREAMY ORANGE CHEESECAKE DIP

INGREDIENT'S:

1 pkg. (8oz.) reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1/2 C. orange marmalade
1/2 t. vanilla
2 C. whole medium fresh strawberries
2 C. cantaloupe chunks
2 C. apple slices

Combine cream cheese, marmalade and vanilla in a small bowl; mix well. Serve with the fresh fruit.

Nucking_Futs
03-15-04, 11:24 AM
HONEY CRUNCH POPCORN

3 quarts (12 C.) hot air-popped popcorn
1/2 C. chopped pecans
1/2 C. firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 C. honey

Preheat oven to 300. Spray cookie sheet with non stick cooking spray.

Combine popcorn and pecans in a large bowl or sack; mix lightly. Set aside.

Combine brown sugar and honey in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat just until brown sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil, stirring occasionally. Pour over popcorn mixture; toss lightly to coat evenly. Transfer to baking sheet.

Bake 30 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes. Spray large sheet of waxed paper with nonstick spray. Transfer popcorn to prepared wax paper to cool. Store in airtight containers.

Nucking_Futs
03-15-04, 11:30 AM
PRETZEL HEARTS

INGREDIENT'S:
4 oz. vanilla flavored candy coating or almond bark
3/4 C. creamy frosting (we like the ones with colors)
2 C. miniature heart shaped pretzel twists (about 50)

Line cookie sheet with waxed paper. Place candy coating in 1 quart microwave safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 1-2 minutes or until melted, stirring occasionallly. Stir in frosting. Microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds or until melted. Stir until smooth.

Add about 1/4 of pretzel twists to candy coating. Mix gently until pretzels are well coated.

With fork remove each pretzel from coating mixture and place on waxed paper. Immediatly sprinkle with candy sprinkles. Repeat. Let pretzels stand 30 min. or until coating is completly set. Store in covered container. Does not freeze well.

p.s. the kid's really love this one because you set everything on the table and let them make their own.

Nucking_Futs
03-15-04, 11:37 AM
PEACH MARGARITAS

INGREDIENT'S
1 lime, cut in half
granulated sugar
3 C. cracked ice
2 T. powdered sugar
1/2 can (12 oz.) frozen peach orchard juice concentrated, thawed
6 peach slices

Rub rims of 6 stemmed glasses with 1 lime half; dip rims of glasses in granulated sugar. Squeeze juice from both lime halves into blender. Add remaining ingredient's to blender. Cover and blend on high speed until foamy. Pour into glasses and garnish with peach slices.

The kids like a scoop of vanilla ice cream in their's.
Mommy and daddy prefer Tequilla.

Nucking_Futs
03-15-04, 11:39 AM
PINEAPPLE LIMEADE

INGREDIENT'S:
1/2 C. sugar
3 C. pineapple juice
1/2 C. lime juice
1 quart sparkling water, chilled

Mix sugar and juices in large pitcher; refrigerate until chilled. Just before serving, stir in sparkling water. Serve over ice.

Instead of ice my kid's prefer vanilla ice cream.

Nucking_Futs
03-15-04, 11:46 AM
COOKIES AND MINT CHOCOLATE PUDDING

INGREDIENT'S
3/4 C. sugar
1/2 C. unsweetened cocoa
1/4 C. cornstarch
3 C. skim milk
1/2 t. mint extract
4 chocolate fudge mint cookies, coarsely chopped

In medium saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa and cornstarch; mix well. With wire whisk, slowly stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir with wire whisk for 8-12 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in mint extract.

Spoon pudding into 4 individual dessert dishes. Cool slightly. Just before serving sprinkle with chopped cookies. Serve warm or cool.

We have this desert usually after lunch before a physical activity i.e. sporting event's. There is a lot of caffeine in it.

Nucking_Futs
03-15-04, 11:50 AM
OK will do more tommorrow my finger's are sore now. lol

Andrew
03-15-04, 11:53 AM

Nucking_Futs
03-15-04, 11:10 PM
Also You can alway's make jello square's with fresh fruit inside. Another idea is cut up fresh fruit (watermelon,grapes,strawberries, etc.) let set in the frig for awhile and serve over angel food cake. The juices usually make it sweet enough but you can alway's add just a tad of sugar. It also makes for an easy snack for the kid's because it is cut up and ready to eat in bite size pieces.

Nucking_Futs
03-17-04, 10:35 AM
Also there is NO reason you cannot have any desert you want. The key is moderation. Another hint: we have the children help in the kitchen and have fresh veggies or fruit cut up and we snack on that while cooking, it help's to fill us so our more fatty foods (meat and desert, etc) are eaten in smaller portions. Just a thought. But, the result's are tremoundous. Doug has lost 34 pnds this year. I lost about 22, Dakota (who was developing quite the table muscle) lost 10 pnds and Lexi is still skinny that child can eat anythind and not gain an ounce.

lilthingsADDup
03-17-04, 10:45 AM
Apple and PB
Bannana and PB
Grahmn Crackers and PB

Ian
03-17-04, 05:17 PM
If it's for kids Andrew sometimes just cutting the fruit up works wonders to break up the boredom. My ten year old still asks once in a while for an apple "cut up". Go figure...

An easy one is frozen apple or orange juice in popsicles.. you can let your imagination run away here a bit with home concoctions of plain yogurt and whatever adjunct you might want to throw into the mixture.

Other that that the the "PB" option can go almost anywhere. Celery is a hit around here with it's trough filled with the ever popular peanut butter.

Cheers! Ian

Nucking_Futs
03-17-04, 10:38 PM
MMMMMMMmmmm i LOVE peanut butter and celery and peanut butter and apples

MRB
03-19-04, 10:15 PM
I've got one! I've got one!

Ginger fruit salad

1) lots of your favorite fruit (sliced so the juices can blend)
- strawberries (antioxidants!)
- blueberries (antioxidants!)
- apple slices
- orange slices
- 3 different colors grapes (green, purple, red)
- sliced pineapple (bromelain for digestion and joint health!)

2) add diced crystallized ginger (also good for digestion!)

MIX and REFRIGERATE and serve at outdoor parties to rave reviews :D

Ian
03-20-04, 03:07 AM
My eldest reminded me of one I'd forgotten. Sliced bananas with some raisins, brown sugar and milk in a bowl.. yum
Cheers! Ian.