View Full Version : If you need a real "tested" cleaning tip...

kimfar
08-27-08, 12:44 AM
Just ask me. I own a cleaning company (going on almost 5 years now) and because of my ADHD, I have tried almost every product on almost every surface! I get bored if I use the same thing day after day after day. I pretty much have my staples now though due to needing products to be as efficient as possible. I would love to help fellow ADD/ADHDers make their lives less complicated! My tips are "use at your own risk" though. :p:):D

reesah
08-27-08, 02:44 AM
black watercolor paint and acrylic ink on beige carpet. it's been dried out for a few weeks. anything that'll work?

kimfar
08-27-08, 06:48 PM
black watercolor paint and acrylic ink on beige carpet. it's been dried out for a few weeks. anything that'll work?

I don't really clean carpets, but my brother once owned a carpet cleaning business, this is pretty much the same as what he suggests:

How to Remove Watercolor Paint Stains:
Sponge (the method of using a dampened pad to apply light strokes, moving outward from the center of the stain) the area immediately with water to dilute the paint. Apply a mix of 1 part glycerine, 1 part white dishwashing detergent, and 8 parts water and a few drops of ammonia. (Take care when using ammonia on silk and wool.) Cover with an absorbent pad dampened with the mixture. Let the pad remain as long as any stain is being removed. Change the pad as it picks up the stain. Keep both the pad and stain moist with the mixture. Flush well with water and repeat if necessary. If, after drying, a stain persists, mix a little Rit Color Remover according to package directions. After testing on an inconspicuous place, flush it through the stain to an absorbent pad. On carpets, sponge the color remover on the stain and blot with an absorbent pad. Rinse well with water and dry.

I would think for the acrylic ink stain you could use the acrylic brush cleaner from a craft store on your carpet. If you do you should mixed it half and half with water and dab it on the stain with paper towel. Then keep dabbing with new sections of towel. Rinse well with water to minimize any discoloring or bleaching of the carpet.

You should always check a small spot first to see how your carpet will react to these methods. Hairspray works on carpet stains also.

reesah
08-27-08, 07:01 PM
it's already dried out. but I am going to try this, maybe I can rehydrate it somehow.

DeloresMelon
08-27-08, 07:15 PM
I actually became giddy reading your post. lol I'm kind of a dork. Now that my kids are back in school, I'm finally able to clean my house!!! YAY!!!

I want the dirt on dirt!! lol what are your absolute fave must have in the trolley cleaning products? And... specifically.. best way to get greasy gunk off the top of kitchen cabinets?

kimfar
08-28-08, 09:20 PM
I actually became giddy reading your post. lol I'm kind of a dork. Now that my kids are back in school, I'm finally able to clean my house!!! YAY!!!

I want the dirt on dirt!! lol what are your absolute fave must have in the trolley cleaning products? And... specifically.. best way to get greasy gunk off the top of kitchen cabinets?

My favorites:

Mr. Clean Magic Erasers
Pledge multi-surface spray and wipe (thank you Mike this has been such a time and money saver).
Mr. Clean multi-surface spray (in the blue bottle)
Barkeepers Friend
Microfiber towels (the good ones from the automotive section, usually found at Sam's Club or Costco)
Swiffer duster
Lemon oil (lots of secrets with this)
Vinegar
Rubbing Alcohol
Microfiber flathead mop
Regular Dawn dish washing soap

It really depends on what type of wood/surface your cabinets are and the level of grease.

Heavy grease: I have used TSP with success. It comes in powder form and really strips grease. TSP is available in the paint section of any hardware store. Mix it with water and wear gloves. or...

Try Castrol Super Clean. It's a degreaser used by mechanics, but also usable in the kitchen. This is extremely powerful so be careful first try in a small area inside your cabinet.

Here is a non-toxic resolution. Use Quick'n Brite. Apply the paste using a circular motion and then let it sit for about ten minutes. Once it has sat, just wipe the area clean with a dry terry cloth towel.

Medium grease: Try Greased lightning, let it sit for awhile for the product to work then rub area with hot water and a sponge or Mr. Clean Eraser. Use the "extra power" eraser. For non-toxic try Simple Green full strength. or

Put some Dawn dishwashing liquid on a sponge full strength, work it into a foam, let it sit for a minute then rinse it off with a microfiber cloth dipped in warm vinegar water, rubbing when needed. Then wash again with clean water.

Light buildup: I use my Mr. Clean multi-purpose cleaner and a microfiber rag.

You should follow up a heavy cleaning with a wood polisher depending on your surface you could use: Orange oil (old wood), Cabinet Magic (all).

curseandablessi
08-29-08, 04:37 PM
What can I use in my jacuzzi bathtub?? I use it daily and I've been filling it up once every week or two and putting about 1/2 cup of pinesol in the water and running the jets for a couple of minutes. After hearing about the vinegar, would that be better??

Imnapl
08-29-08, 11:03 PM
What can I use in my jacuzzi bathtub?? I use it daily and I've been filling it up once every week or two and putting about 1/2 cup of pinesol in the water and running the jets for a couple of minutes. After hearing about the vinegar, would that be better??Our plumber told us to fill the tub to cover the jets, add bleach to the water and run the jets for 15 minutes. How often you do this depends on how often the tub is used.

Imnapl
08-29-08, 11:21 PM
Cabinet Magic (all).I love this stuff. Our builder told me to use Countertop Magic on the kitchen counters.

kimfar
08-30-08, 09:32 PM
What can I use in my jacuzzi bathtub?? I use it daily and I've been filling it up once every week or two and putting about 1/2 cup of pinesol in the water and running the jets for a couple of minutes. After hearing about the vinegar, would that be better??

I don't think that Pinesol or Vinegar would be adequate for this job.

I have many customers with jacuzzi tubs this is what has worked for me so far:

Use enough hot water filled to cover the jets. With the air control completely open add 1 cup dishwashing detergent (Cascade Complete is the best) & run it through a cycle (20 mins). Drain & refill, this time 1 cup bleach, another 20 minute cycle. Drain & refill with cold water, anoher 20 minute cycle as a rinse. Do this daily until you see no more black gunk.

If the jets are still too dirty then spray Clorox Cleanup straight into the jets (wait about 10 mins to give the product time to work), use a toothbrush to scrub them clean, then wrap a cloth around the tooth brush and dry out jets, drying is important as to not collect more mold and mildew.

After you get your tub clean, every time after you are done bathing, throw a half a cup of the Cascade in and let it circulate for 10 minutes, lightly scrub the sides if dirty, drain, rinse and completely dry. I haven't tried this yet but if I owned a jacuzzi tub I would try spraying it down after each use with a daily shower spray like Tilex Daily Shower cleaner.

As for the tub part, I spray with a cleaner and then use my Mr. Clean Magic eraser to erase the soap scum. I always dry everything after I clean it.

kimfar
08-30-08, 09:38 PM
I love this stuff. Our builder told me to use Countertop Magic on the kitchen counters.

I love to use Countertop Magic on laminate and formica counters every once in awhile as a special treat to my customers!

curseandablessi
08-30-08, 10:41 PM
the tub is actually the one thing I'm pretty good about cleaning. I'd been using bleach in it once a week since we got it installed last January. We have a deep well with lots of minerals in the water, so if I don't keep it up, I get those mineral stains. I've been trying to get away from the bleach since it seems to mess with my sinuses.

I just recently switched to pine-sol, but that seemed to irritate them too.

EYEFORGOT
09-01-08, 01:36 PM
Carpet cleaning advice.

Really I need to just tear the thing up and start again, it's just old and faded.
If I call ChemDry it's over $100 to clean this small carpet. It's in our den and is the only carpet in the house. But it's not worth $50 let alone $100 worth of cleaning. So even a grocery store rental isn't worthwhile.

I tried a spray can of "Carpet Cleaner" WalMart generic brand. It comes out as a foam, leave on 15 minutes (or longer for deep stains) and then vacuum up. But am I playing with my family's health using this chemical smorgasbord?

There's a new product out that looks like a swiffer mop, but it cleans carpets. Is it any good?

Really, it's a small room, it's just a really dirty carpet.

Second cleaner:

Suede futon.
I have a futon with a suede or suede-like material on it. It did have that scotch-brite or whatever protection on it and it came up really easily. But that's not seeming to work anymore. I have stains and water stains on it. I had my children have "oopsies" on it a few times and it took some effort to soak it all up, clean, disinfect and dry. So now the couch doesn't look so good.

Any tricks of the trade? Or just keep covering it with a blanket like I've been doing?

Imnapl
09-02-08, 01:18 AM
I find cat hair covers up a lot of imperfections on furniture? :rolleyes:

meadd823
09-02-08, 02:59 AM
I find cat hair covers up a lot of imperfections on furniture?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s206/tlr823/borrowed%20small%20pics/LOL-2.gif

If one has enough cats the color can change to new and exciting color patterns without you having to life a finger

Sorry I am a cat lover - any tricks to keeping fur on cats instead of on every thing else???

Meanwhile back at the topic Actually dusting ????? lint stuffs off electronic appliances sucks, any neat tricks there????.

kimfar
09-02-08, 03:37 AM
Carpet cleaning advice.

Really I need to just tear the thing up and start again, it's just old and faded.
If I call ChemDry it's over $100 to clean this small carpet. It's in our den and is the only carpet in the house. But it's not worth $50 let alone $100 worth of cleaning. So even a grocery store rental isn't worthwhile.

I tried a spray can of "Carpet Cleaner" WalMart generic brand. It comes out as a foam, leave on 15 minutes (or longer for deep stains) and then vacuum up. But am I playing with my family's health using this chemical smorgasbord?

There's a new product out that looks like a swiffer mop, but it cleans carpets. Is it any good?

Really, it's a small room, it's just a really dirty carpet.

Second cleaner:

Suede futon.
I have a futon with a suede or suede-like material on it. It did have that scotch-brite or whatever protection on it and it came up really easily. But that's not seeming to work anymore. I have stains and water stains on it. I had my children have "oopsies" on it a few times and it took some effort to soak it all up, clean, disinfect and dry. So now the couch doesn't look so good.

Any tricks of the trade? Or just keep covering it with a blanket like I've been doing?

Carpet-wash spot with Dawn liquid dish detergent then rinse with 1/2 cup vinegar diluted in 1 qt warm water. Then lay Microfiber towels or paper towels over the area and let stand for at least 4 hours, then remove the towels and dry completely using a fan. This has always worked for me.

(fake) Suede Futon- Can you remove the cover if so remove it and wash it gentle cycle warm water cool rinse, then hang to dry. If not removable you can try these (I haven't tried these so first try in an inconspicuous area):

Using an aerosol can of original Lysol, lightly spray the stain, blot with a clean cloth.
Make a thick paste of baking soda and water, and apply to the stain. Wait a few minutes, then wipe clean.
Using a baby wipe, gently blot the area of the stain, being careful not to rub the stain into the fabric.
Using a small amount of rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl alcohol) on a soft, white terrycloth towel, gently blot the stain.
Using a small amount of clear alcohol, such as vodka, dampen a soft cloth, and gently blot the stain.

Next time it happens, blot the liquid, then cover with baking soda, then vacuum. Good luck!

kimfar
09-02-08, 03:39 AM
I find cat hair covers up a lot of imperfections on furniture? :rolleyes:

On Accident...I found out that household rubber gloves are the best for removing cat hair from furniture! Just rub cat hair right off!

kimfar
09-02-08, 03:55 AM
the tub is actually the one thing I'm pretty good about cleaning. I'd been using bleach in it once a week since we got it installed last January. We have a deep well with lots of minerals in the water, so if I don't keep it up, I get those mineral stains. I've been trying to get away from the bleach since it seems to mess with my sinuses.

I just recently switched to pine-sol, but that seemed to irritate them too.

I'm not sure this will be strong enough but It would be worth the try, before using the harsh chemicals. I would do this often to be effective:

Filled up the tub slightly higher than the jets and put in two cups vinegar and turned it on with the air control completely open. Leave it on until the water seemed clear. Empty it, refill and repeat with plain water or you can try the same with baking soda but make sure the water is hot so it dissolves. Use the toothbrush around the jets and dry everything. Let me know how this worked. You could also try Borax.

whirlygirl
09-09-08, 09:23 PM
Thanks kimfar! I'm especially excited about the rubber glove/cat hair trick:D. I'm off to try it now on our furry furniture. If it works really well my husband will probably find me roaming the house in rubber gloves at 3 in the morning!

This was the single worse purchase of my life!:mad: And I'm a big swiffer fan-- I use microfiber clothes instead of the disposables.

curseandablessi
09-10-08, 07:34 AM
I've got a microfiber dust mop, an hand duster with a handle. both of the fiber heads are washable in the washing machine. They work really well. Any tips for washing them, I got an extra head for them so I could always have a clean one.

The vinegar is working really well in the jacuzzi tub. I mixed up some vinegar and water with a few drops of dishwashing liquid that I spray the shower stall down with and it seems to be cutting through that film that gets on the fiberglass walls.

Lunacie
09-10-08, 10:46 AM

The best cleaner I've ever seen for kitchen grease is plain old baking soda. And it's cheap too! My little sister taught me to use baking soda and a wet sponge on the stove top - it doesn't scratch but cleans up grease and dried on spills with very little elbow grease.

I love microfiber cleaning cloths and use them a lot at work - I clean a beauty salon. I'm so allergic to most cleaning products - especially Formula 409 which is what the owner loves to use. But I convinced her to let me try some other stuff which doesn't make me sick. Then I had to find a different floor cleaner because the stuff she buys leaves my hair and clothes smelling awful which makes my granddaughter sick.

kimfar
09-17-08, 01:42 AM
I've got a microfiber dust mop, an hand duster with a handle. both of the fiber heads are washable in the washing machine. They work really well. Any tips for washing them, I got an extra head for them so I could always have a clean one.

The vinegar is working really well in the jacuzzi tub. I mixed up some vinegar and water with a few drops of dishwashing liquid that I spray the shower stall down with and it seems to be cutting through that film that gets on the fiberglass walls.

I wash mine in the washing machine with a little laundry soap and a little bit of vinegar in the bleach compartment. Do not use bleach or fabric softener! Then hang them to dry, don't dry in dryer. Also, wash separately. I love my microfiber mop!

kimfar
09-17-08, 01:46 AM
The best cleaner I've ever seen for kitchen grease is plain old baking soda. And it's cheap too! My little sister taught me to use baking soda and a wet sponge on the stove top - it doesn't scratch but cleans up grease and dried on spills with very little elbow grease.

I love microfiber cleaning cloths and use them a lot at work - I clean a beauty salon. I'm so allergic to most cleaning products - especially Formula 409 which is what the owner loves to use. But I convinced her to let me try some other stuff which doesn't make me sick. Then I had to find a different floor cleaner because the stuff she buys leaves my hair and clothes smelling awful which makes my granddaughter sick.

I recently bought some all natural cleaning products called Mrs. Meyer's from the health food store. It works great on everything and is non-toxic.

Lunacie
09-17-08, 10:11 AM
I recently bought some all natural cleaning products called Mrs. Meyer's from the health food store. It works great on everything and is non-toxic.

Stuff at the health food store is usually more expensive than stuff at the Dollar Store. My daughter picked up a jug of liquid cleaner there last month when the cat decided to use my granddaughter's closet for a litter box. It did a good job of cleaning up and getting rid of the odor, without making either my granddaughter or I sick. So I tested it at work the next week and have been using it ever since.

I had been using a product called MelaMagic or Melaluka which can be difficult to find, only sold by reps online. It's great stuff and a little bit goes a long way. But this stuff from the dollar store is even cheaper and much easier to get hold of. Darned if I can remember the name on the jug.

kimfar
09-20-08, 02:36 AM
Stuff at the health food store is usually more expensive than stuff at the Dollar Store.

True, but this cleaner works great for being all natural, which is really hard to find since I have tried many non-toxic cleaners. It really wasn't that expensive. It was about four dollars for a bottle of concentrated cleaner, and to fill a spray bottle only takes one teaspoon of the cleaner. In the end, this will cost me much less! Oh, and the fragrance is heavenly!

Kiri
09-21-08, 11:03 AM
Sorry I am a cat lover - any tricks to keeping fur on cats instead of on every thing else???

In response to this (I know it was probably a joke, but...) I used to work at a grooming salon, and there is one de-shedding product that I think everyone should try. It is amazing! It is called the Furminator... it is a type of brush/comb thingy, and it is a bit expensive (about $35 for the cat-sized brush) but holy cow, is it worth it! On the Furminator display it shows pictures of pets next to HUGE piles of hair, and that is actually accurate! I used it on my medium haired cat, and had enough hair off of her to almost create another cat! It really helps with shedding... You just have to make sure when you start brushing that you have someplace nearby to put the hair, or you will end up with a huge pile of fur on your lap. :)

Tachyon
09-23-08, 03:32 PM

replace your carpet! lol sorry :)

Kassie
09-30-08, 06:15 PM
Aren't Giant magic erasers awesome? I grab one and go around the apartment cleaning. Too bad there isn't an even bigger kind with a stick for the floors!

Lunacie
10-01-08, 08:28 AM
True, but this cleaner works great for being all natural, which is really hard to find since I have tried many non-toxic cleaners. It really wasn't that expensive. It was about four dollars for a bottle of concentrated cleaner, and to fill a spray bottle only takes one teaspoon of the cleaner. In the end, this will cost me much less! Oh, and the fragrance is heavenly!

The fragrance is what I'm usually allergic to - and it's what makes the stuff cost more. So for me those cleaners are a lose/lose proposition. And now we're finding that some of the stuff that I'm not allergic to - my granddaughter is allergic to. So as limited as my options were before, they are getting even more limited now. Baking soda and vinegar are still the best!

GregAld
10-01-08, 03:48 PM
OK any tricks on getting puppy urine out of a carpet?
greg

kimfar
10-01-08, 08:36 PM
OK any tricks on getting puppy urine out of a carpet?
greg

I have used alot of products on this subject. For me the product that worked the best was Nature's Miracle. You can find it at the Pet store.