View Full Version : Tech Savvy with Morals

kimfar
08-29-08, 04:41 PM
I have taught myself how to pirate anything I don't do it though because of my morals. I feel like it is same as stealing. BUT, it is so hard to resist the temptation when I look to buy Photoshop CS3 extended and it costs over $800 dollars and in a few clicks I can have the whole thing for free! So far I have not given in to my temptation and I won't...but man it is hard. I just keep telling myself that jail time and a million dollar fine isn't worth it.

Has anyone else ever taken the time to learn something just to know it, but never use it? Like learning calculus for no reason, etc.

CaucusRace
08-29-08, 10:32 PM
Piracy is not theft, it is copyright infringement. I don't mean to say that piracy isn't wrong, but it's not true to say that it's a form of theft.

Imagine you could create a copy of a car and take the copy instead of taking the original car. That's not theft because the original owner is still in posession of his car. The reason music and software is illegal to copy is because our governments allow people to own rights to certain things. That's what copyright is -- literally the right to copy some particular thing. If I own the copyright to something, I can copy it all I like, and no-one else can copy it unless I give them permssion (there are exceptions such as fair use, but that's another topic).

So why do we grant copyrights? It seems kind of silly in a way to decree that some person has ultimate say over what other people can do with a bit of information, or a sound recording or something. The reason copyright exists is as an incentive. It allows creative people and inventors to protect their ability to profit from something they create. Why would I spend time and money to create some amazing artwork or invent an amazing gadget if I have no protection from other people just copying my work and profiting from it?

I agree with you, it's not right to pirate software. I used to, but I don't anymore -- it is very tempting when so much software is so expensive these days! Luckily there are a lot of free alternatives to a lot of software around the internet these days. I do pirate music, but I also buy a lot of music. I understand that technically what I do is wrong, but I'm comfortable with it because I end up buying more music because of it. I like to support artists when I can.

The steep fines and jail times are very rarely applied to people who just download a song or program here or there. The big fines and penalties are designed to be used against people who perform large-scale counterfeiting of software and musical recordings. Unless you're making copies and selling them, or sharing thousands of songs for download on the internet, you're more likely to get struck by lightning than fined or sent to jail.

Louder Than Love
08-29-08, 11:14 PM
Im on the fence here...

This won't make much sense.

Music, DO NOT TOUCH IT!!!! unless you're buying it.
Movies,.. HANDS OFF!!!

Software on the other hand...
These guys especially Microsoft, Adobe, and Corel, are raking in more money than they can keep in 6 accounts.

its a shame to see talented designers go to waste cause they cant afford 2400 bucks for Adobe CS3 master collection.

and web designers with no money to afford Editors, and FTP's.

Im going to hide behind the " these versions of this software are designed for research purposes only" disclaimer.

sarek
08-30-08, 02:49 PM
Copyright infringement is not theft of software but theft of the ideas behind the software.
Remember, the programmers and their companies have to make a living out of all that work. Whatever your view on micro$oft, your don't have to use their software if you don't want to.
The open source world has matured rapidly in the past few years, and many alternatives are now available for many types of software or OS'es.

The only problem remaining concerns cases of misuse of market positions by some of the big software makers(you know who).
At least within the european union effective measures are now being taken to combat this. So, even that excuse for piracy is rapidly becoming invalid.

lostranslation
08-30-08, 03:28 PM
I know how to do that too, (and used to do it a lot, back in the commodore-64 days.) but... for whatever technical reason, it's still wrong.

Instead, I've become a freeware and open source software addict. There is plenty of really good free software out there if you're willing to spend the time to look for it.

kimfar
08-30-08, 09:43 PM
Im on the fence here...

This won't make much sense.

Music, DO NOT TOUCH IT!!!! unless you're buying it.
Movies,.. HANDS OFF!!!

Software on the other hand...
These guys especially Microsoft, Adobe, and Corel, are raking in more money than they can keep in 6 accounts.

its a shame to see talented designers go to waste cause they cant afford 2400 bucks for Adobe CS3 master collection.

and web designers with no money to afford Editors, and FTP's.

Im going to hide behind the " these versions of this software are designed for research purposes only" disclaimer.

I've said this to myself so many times.

kimfar
08-30-08, 09:48 PM
I know how to do that too, (and used to do it a lot, back in the commodore-64 days.) but... for whatever technical reason, it's still wrong.

Instead, I've become a freeware and open source software addict. There is plenty of really good free software out there if you're willing to spend the time to look for it.

Ha ha the good old Commodore 64! I spent hours on that thing playing Might & Magic and spent hundreds of dollars chatting online everyday over Qlink. It was fun having to map out on grid paper every level, land or dungeon.

I use Linux for my finances, I'll have to spend more time with it. I heard Gimp is pretty good.

lostranslation
08-30-08, 11:40 PM
I loved my 64's. Zork was my favorite (pirated) game. Kinda sorry I sold them a few years back.

Just started messing around with Ubuntu a few months back. Not using it for anything "useful" yet. I also have Gimp, but haven't messed with it at all. (To busy goofing off here.)

sarek
08-31-08, 12:09 PM
Just started on linux(now Suse 11). Planning to convert another computer to ubuntu and finally go on to hosting my own website. But that's a matter of procrastination.
I started computing in the old commodore 64 days. 38911 bytes free, don't you just love that. A byte was a hundred times more useful than in these days.

reesah
08-31-08, 02:11 PM
I use several p2p programs for music. I don't listen to mainstream music but mostly to independent or underground musicians. Many of them give away their music for free in order to get more fans. They make more by having good attendance on tour and by selling merch than by selling cds. Most mainstream/pop music is garbage now anyway.

Being punk rock has its privileges. When you only listen to music made by people who aren't millionaires you find that concerns about theft are had only by the wealthy. Bands like radiohead, sleepytime gorilla museum, jason webley, and hundreds of others are wishing you'd download their stuff right now and go see them play. Or visit their website (they get paid to have ads on there you know). Or order a tshirt. They want more people to listen, and they're better music than most of the big groups.

property is theft and all that///

(edited to add that I have tons of my images online for free download and encourage people to use them as reference for their own work. I like the common use copyright - use it for your personal use but don't profit from it)
I bought photoshop 7 and haven't needed any newer editions.

I use open source/freeware for almost everything. Gimp, openoffice, thunderbird, firefox, glass2k, slsk, mediamonkey,vlcplayer...I haven't had to buy software in years (except for office/word, but that came with my pc)...I run red hat and vista on one machine and xp on the other. If they hadn't come with vista and xp I'd be running linux on both and nothing else.

I rent movies from a local store, it's a monthly fee and I get as many as I want. They have lots of weird and hard-to-find films. It's good. I have the unlimited online netflix, I don't rent any dvds from them but watch everything instantly. anything they don't have for instant view I get at the movie store. in all it costs me 15 bucks a month for all the movies I can watch (both memberships)

I've taken the time to learn how to play pool extremely well, I don't really "use" it at all. I play once in a blue moon with friends. I also took a cooking class but I never, ever cook. ever!