View Full Version : 3 Gallons!?

EYEFORGOT
08-30-08, 04:48 PM
I noticed it was taking a while for my shower to really get nice and warm. I knew it was a waste of water but I didn't know how much. I got out my gi-normous sauce pot and put it under the shower head to catch the water.

3 GALLONS! 3 gallons that have been going down the drain before I even step in, let alone how much goes down the drain while I'm taking a shower. Even if I take it in 10 minutes. 5 minutes is recommended. My mom used to have such a small hot water heater in her mobile home she could take a shower in 1 minute.

Hang on...back to the point.

I'm not sure why it takes so long for my water to heat up. It's not a problem in the kitchen sink. Not as much in the other bathroom (an older part of the house).

The collected water is the same I get from the kitchen seat (or heck, whatever runs fresh into the toilet). I set it aside for now. As long as I don't let it sit too long (gathering bacteria), I can fill up the dog bowl with it, water the plants, wash the dishes with it. It's bulky to carry around, so not sure what to do about that.

What else would you do with 3 gallons of water a day from a great big sauce pot?

Imnapl
08-30-08, 04:55 PM
Water trees?

Andrew
08-30-08, 04:57 PM
Fill the fish tank? (I would imagine Dory would thank you :) )

EYEFORGOT
08-30-08, 04:58 PM
It just rained and I don't have much of a garden. I suppose I could wash my car or give my dog a bath. But not every day.

EYEFORGOT
08-30-08, 04:59 PM
Fill the fish tank? (I would imagine Dory would thank you :) )

lol

the fish died

Andrew
08-30-08, 05:06 PM
lol

the fish died

Aww...:(

chartreuse
08-30-08, 05:14 PM
Well, for a couple of weeks, at least, you could take that three gallons of water, divide it up between empty, washed two-litre soda bottles (or other clear plastic jugs), put in a couple of drops of bleach, cap it, and you'd soon have a good stash of water for emergencies.

Beyond that, my only suggestion is to get used to getting under the showerhead before the water is of optimal temperature.

Imnapl
08-30-08, 05:17 PM
Make a lot of ice cubes.

Andrew
08-30-08, 05:21 PM
Bottle it and sell it under the "AquaChel" brand!

EYEFORGOT
08-30-08, 05:24 PM
lol
Would you buy it?

Andrew
08-30-08, 05:26 PM
Hey...look what Coca Cola and Pepsi do...

AquafinaŽ
This well-known bottled water brand produced by PepsiCo is derived from a municipal source and goes through a purification process that uses charcoal filtration, reverse-osmosis, ozonination and other elements of the process. During purification, virtually all of the natural minerals are removed from the water, giving it a light, mellow taste.

DasaniŽ
Coca-Cola's flagship purified bottled water brand is also derived from a municipal source and undergoes a reverse-osmosis-based purification process. However, DasaniŽ gets a blend of minerals added back after the purification process, giving it a crisp taste.

EYEFORGOT
08-30-08, 05:29 PM
I have charcoal for the grill. Will that work?

amythyst
08-30-08, 05:33 PM
Not sure what I would do with that water...probably water my plants....the ones that haven't died from dehydration yet...

Andrew
08-30-08, 05:37 PM
I have charcoal for the grill. Will that work?

Not sure that's advisable...as it probably contains chemicals. However, see the image below from wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Homemade_waterfilter.jpg

EYEFORGOT
08-30-08, 05:45 PM
I was joking about the grill charcoal. But the filter is certainly feasible. Would make a great home school experiment for the guys.

Great idea Andrew, thanks.

Andrew
08-30-08, 05:48 PM
I was joking about the grill charcoal. But the filter is certainly feasible. Would make a great home school experiment for the guys.

Great idea Andrew, thanks.

I know you were :p but it inspired me to look it up anyway :)

Imnapl
08-30-08, 05:54 PM
A bucket of water will flush a toilet.

EYEFORGOT
08-30-08, 06:02 PM
You mean the back of the tank doesn't have to empty to fill the bowl again?

Andrew
08-30-08, 06:04 PM
You mean the back of the tank doesn't have to empty to fill the bowl again?

You can shut off the tank refill (usually located under the tank, coming out of the wall). You can flush, and the tank will empty. You can then pour the water into the tank again. Then you can turn the water back on :) Good idea, Imnampl!

Imnapl
08-30-08, 06:17 PM
You mean the back of the tank doesn't have to empty to fill the bowl again?You can tell you don't have a well with a pump powered by a generator that isn't working because of a power failure.

What a worthwhile topic, Chel, especially when we are experiencing very dry conditions where I live.

EYEFORGOT
08-30-08, 08:49 PM
No generator, just a well and a pump. Sometimes I forget we have a well and not city water anymore. With the dry conditions we foolishly used up a lot of water and ran dry. I had to prime the pump, wash hands with bottled water, don't flush, don't do dishes. It didn't last long, but it made me more aware of how much water I'm using.

Imnapl
08-30-08, 09:06 PM
At least you don't have to worry about parasites in the water. My friend has a well and she rubs it in when we've had a boil water order in town.

curseandablessi
08-30-08, 10:49 PM
I've even got a second well with a hand pump on it. lol

BTW you can also use pool water for flushing when the power's out with a well, if you're going to have a hurricane coming always fill up the bathtub with water so you can flush too, this is very important if you have an upstairs bathroom-you don't want to have to carry water up the stairs to flush.

MECMR
08-30-08, 11:36 PM
Hmmm.....

Make large amounts of pasta?

Make tons of lemonade and have the neighborhood over for a party?

Do all your handwashable laundry?

Wash all the windows?