View Full Version : List of Tourette Tics

Imnapl
08-30-08, 08:43 PM
From: http://www.tourettes-disorder.com/symptoms/tics.html

List of Tourette Tics Tic's Tixs Tix's
Do you have or know of a tic not listed here? Please send it to us (editor@tourettes-disorder.com).

<table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="700"> <tbody><tr bgcolor="#cccc99"> <td align="left" height="1047" valign="top">
Abdominal jerking
Abdominal tension
Animal sounds cow, dog, etc.
Ankle flexing
Arm extending
Arm flailing
Arm flapping
Arm flexing
Arm jerking
Arm squeezing
Banging
Barely audible muttering
Barking
Belching
Bending
Bite mouth, lip, arm
Blowing Tic
Blow on fingers
Blur objects by staring
Body jerking
Body slamming
Calling out
Change in voice tempo
Change in voice tone
Change in voice volume
Chewing clothes
Chewing on clothes
Clacking
Clapping
Clicking
Coprolalia (http://www.tourettes-disorder.com/symptoms/coprolalia.html)
Copropraxia (http://www.tourettes-disorder.com/symptoms/coprolalia.html)
Coprographia (http://www.tourettes-disorder.com/symptoms/coprolalia.html)
Coughing
Deep knee bending
Double objects by staring
Dystonic postures
Echolalia (http://www.bartleby.com/61/83/E0028300.html)
Echopraxia (http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=26316)
Eye blinking
Eye rolling
Facial contortions
Facial grimacing
Finger movements
Foot dragging
Foot shaking
Foot tapping
Funny expressions
Gasping
Grimacing
Grunting
Gurgling
Guttural sounds
Gyrating
</td> <td align="left" valign="top">
Haphemania
Hair out of eyes
Hair tossing
Hair twisting
Hand fiddling
Head banging
Head jerking
Hiccupping
Hiccups
Hissing
Hitting
Hitting self or others
Honking
Hopping
Humming
Jaw snapping
Jumping
Kicking
Kissing
Kissing self or others
Knee bending
Knee knocking
Laughing
Leg jerking
Licking
Licking lips
Lip pouting
Lip smacking
Misc. noises
Moaning
Mouth opening
Nail Biting
Noisy breathing
Nose twitching
Nose wrinkling
Opening eyes
Pallilalia
Picking
Pinching
Pouting
Pressure spots
Puffing
Pulling clothes
Pulling hair
Pull back pen while writing
Rapid jerking parts of body
R eflex inhibition
Repeating parts of words
Repeating phrases
Repeating words
Rolling eyes
</td> <td align="left" valign="top">
Scatological humour (http://www.tourettes-disorder.com/dictionary/definitions/scatological_humor.html)
Scratching
Screaming
Shivering
Shoulder shrugging
Shouting
shouts
Shrugging
Skip step
Skipping
Smelling hands or objects
Smelling things
Snapping
Sniffing
Sniffs
Snorting
Snorts
Somersaults
Spitting
Squatting
Squeaking
Squealing
Squinting
Stammering
Stepping backwards
Stomping
Stooping
Stuttering
Sucking
Sucking inspirations
Talking to oneself
Tearing things
Tensing parts of body
Throat clearing
Throwing things
Toe scrunching
Tongue thrusting
Touching objects
Touching self or others
Trichotillomania (http://www.trich.org/)
Twirling in circles
Twirling hair
Vocal "Hey," "Wow," etc.
Vocal "tsk" & "pft" noises
Walking on toes
Whistling
Writhing movements
Yelling
Yelling-screaming
Yelping Top of page (http://www.tourettes-disorder.com/symptoms/tics.html#ticstop)
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
<hr> Tourette Syndrome Tics can be motor tics, vocal tics, simple tics, complex tics, sensory tics, and obsessive-compulsive type tics.

Mincan
08-31-08, 11:36 AM
Abdominal jerking (!!!!!!!)
Abdominal tension (!!!!!!)
Animal sounds cow, dog, etc.
Ankle flexing (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Arm extending
Barely audible muttering (!!!!!!!!)
Blur objects by staring
Body jerking
Calling out
Change in voice tempo
Change in voice tone
Change in voice volume
Coughing
Dystonic postures (!!!!!!!)
Eye blinking
Eye rolling
Facial contortions
Facial grimacing (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Finger movements
Foot shaking (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Hair twisting
Hand fiddling
Honking (have bicycle horn installed , randomly let it go, very loud, like to see people's responses when not anxious or depressed)
Leg jerking
Lip pouting (!!!!!!)
Misc. noises
Mouth opening (!!!!!!)
Nail Biting
Noisy breathing (!!!!!!)
R eflex inhibition
Repeating phrases
Repeating words (!!!!!!)
Shoulder shrugging (!!!!!)
Smelling hands or objects (!!!!!!)
Smelling things
Sniffing
Sniffs (!!!!!)
Squinting
Talking to oneself (!!!!!!)
Tensing parts of body (!!!!!)
Throat clearing (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Toe scrunching (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Twirling hair (!!!!)
Writhing movements

These are all the ones I have, I put exclamation marks by the ones that really bother me on a minute to minute basis, or that I do all waking time.

No wonder Im so ****ing self-conscious. **** this ****.

tree oh tree
08-31-08, 12:19 PM
I find tourrettes a bit weird I've noticed I have a tendancy to suddenly make strange noises like 'OHH' in the middle of the street and I've no idea why it happens or just any time, or just make odd noises, I've wondered with they're tics because they just happen, no idea. And also i have a tendacy at times to just repeat stuff. Also when I was younger if I thought of something obscene I would sneeze or shake my shoulders.

Mincan
08-31-08, 12:45 PM
I do have coprolalia... but its ego-dystonic and I try hard not too... its not severe like people that you see in movies doing it in every sentence... its perhaps a handful of times a day... or actually it depends what the circumstance are... the problem with tourettes is the happier you are the more they come out... dopamine or something... too sensitive receptors or something. Actually, its amplified by distress or excitement... as my developmental report has shown me from the young age of 6 or so.

tree oh tree
09-01-08, 08:31 AM
I've shown this my friend who had a DX of ADHD when he was america, he was 8 then now 19. He still has a lot of ADHD features, he says he has a few of them, but he thinks these could be anyone. Like he starts to bark in the middle of the street loudly, also has a twitch, but generally you might think he's a bit weird if you saw him doing these things. But he says that it could be most people. It's odd sometimes when I see myself when I'm getting really 'animated' in a concersation or just a conversation, I start grabbing my hair and look quite akward. Which I was pretty much unaware off, and people also would ripp the pis s outta me for my movements, and mannerisms.

Mincan
09-01-08, 10:44 AM
No, it has to happen all day to be tourettes, not just when you "get into a conversation". They only get worse then... as in I stop trying to stop them and just let them out. Its not true that people have no control over their tics... they can hold them in for a time... but they must come out sometime.

Imnapl
09-01-08, 01:20 PM
Like he starts to bark in the middle of the street loudlySo your friend was told that barking is a symptom of ADHD?

blueroo
09-02-08, 02:50 AM
There are as many tics are there are people with the conditions that cause them. A number of my own tics aren't listed, and it wouldn't really make sense to try and list them. They're very likely unique to me.

Mincan, frequency has very little to do with tics or Tourettes. I can spend an entire day with nary a twitch. I can spend some days motoring non-stop. Neurochemical highs stemming from victories, happiness, or frustrations can trigger more tics. In other words, situation, environment, and other as of yet unidentified criteria all have variable effects on ticcing.

TygerSan
09-04-08, 04:55 PM
I think diagnostic criteria for Tourette's state that you need to display both vocal and motor tics. . . otherwise it's technically some other sort of tic disorder . . .not sure about frequency of occurence, though

saw someone once who would crack (read partially dislocate) shoulder as a tic . . . was painful to watch . . .

don't think that barking is usually a symptom of ADHD (unless it's done out of extreme impulsivity . . . tics are compulsive)

INaBOX
09-04-08, 07:22 PM
The good news about this list is that many of these symptoms are more common than not:

Barely audible muttering
Bite mouth, lips
Blur objects by staring
Calling out
Change in voice tempo
Change in voice tone
Change in voice volume
Clacking
Clapping
Clicking
Coughing
Deep knee bending
Eye blinking
Eye rolling
Finger movements
Foot shaking
Foot tapping
Funny expressions
Gasping
Grimacing
Grunting
Hair out of eyes
Hair tossing
Hair twisting
Hand fiddling
Head jerking
Hissing
Hitting
Hitting self or others
Humming
Jumping
Kicking
Kissing
Kissing self or others
Knee bending
Knee knocking
Laughing
Licking lips
Lip pouting
Lip smacking
Mouth opening
Nail Biting
Noisy breathing
Nose twitching
Nose wrinkling
Opening eyes
Picking
Pinching
Pouting
Pressure spots
Pulling clothes
Pulling hair
Repeating words
Rolling eyes
Scratching
Shoulder shrugging
Shrugging
Skipping
Snapping
Snorts
Squinting
Stammering
Stomping
Stuttering
Sucking
Talking to oneself
Tearing things
Tensing parts of body
Throat clearing
Throwing things
Toe scrunching
Touching objects
Touching self or others
Twirling hair
Vocal "Hey," "Wow," etc.
Whistling

I think the average person has some of these symptoms .. maybe out of habit, anxiety or as a means to help them concentrate.

Imnapl
09-04-08, 09:08 PM
(unless it's done out of extreme impulsivity . . . tics are compulsive)Impulsive versus compulsive. Thanks.

Imnapl
09-04-08, 09:17 PM
I really appreciate the way members share their experience with comorbid disorders.

I found an interesting discussion about Tourette's Disorder here (http://www.tourettes-disorder.com/dsm.html).

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders , 4th ed (DSM-IV-TR). for Tourette syndrome is as follows for making the diagnosis: Diagnostic Criteria for 307.23 Tourette's Disorder;
both multiple motor tics and one or more vocal tics must be present at the same time, although not necessarily concurrently;

the tics must occur many times a day (usually in bouts) nearly every day or intermittently over more than 1 year, during which time there must not have been a tic-free period of more than 3 consecutive months;

the age at onset must be less than 18 years;

the disturbance must not be due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g. stimulants) or a general medical condition (e.g. Huntington's disease or postviral encephalitis).

SuzzanneX
09-04-08, 09:45 PM
I can see the link between adhd and tourrettes
..........I've been trying to help someone who is boarderline, and it's really frustrating.

after I pour my heart out trying to help and they ignored it.
.....and said they were gonna go self destruct.

YOU SUCK

popped out before I could rationalize the post.
.........impulsivity at it's finest.

tree oh tree
09-05-08, 11:48 AM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by ramsamsam http://www.addforums.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=633491#post633491)
Like he starts to bark in the middle of the street loudly
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>So your friend was told that barking is a symptom of ADHD?
No he just does it. I think usually it's not a tic, he does it to belittle people, or annoy or just being loud. Me and him get loud when together.

coddersjnr
02-26-09, 07:06 PM
Bite mouth, lips
Blur objects by staring
Calling out
Clicking
Eye blinking
Eye rolling
Foot shaking
Funny expressions
Grunting
Hair out of eyes
Hand fiddling
Hitting
Hitting self or others
Humming
Jumping
Laughing
Licking lips
Nail Biting
Opening eyes
Rolling eyes
Scratching
Shoulder shrugging
Stuttering
Tearing things
Tensing parts of body
Throat clearing
Touching objects
Touching self or others

I have all these symptoms and I'm pretty worried, I never thought it was anything and I was just searching Google to figure out how to stop my compulsive grunting and humming, I'm really scared, can anyone explain?

blueroo
02-26-09, 08:05 PM
What is scaring you? Have you talked to a doctor?

firstdesserts
02-26-09, 10:33 PM
Recently, when there was a tv program on here in the States about a man who had Tourette's (sp) (I do not) and wanted to be a teacher, I really related to what he was experienceing. The what I call 'epileptic space adventures' that for him resulted in physical and vocal outbursts seem to mirror what goes on in my head with ADHD-PI.

The connection was so strong that I found myself mimicking the film's main character for a few days after (barking, jerking movements). I was not making fun. It just seemed so familiar and in a sense, comfortable. It was a bit bizarre and scary and not funny. I had to work a bit to make myself stop. Quite an adventure!

coddersjnr
03-01-09, 04:33 PM
What is scaring you? Have you talked to a doctor?

I'm just scared of seeing someone about it and i know if i asked my parents or my friends they'll just laugh and think im joking because most people think tourettes is just swearing loads, :(

blueroo
03-01-09, 06:12 PM
I'm just scared of seeing someone about it and i know if i asked my parents or my friends they'll just laugh and think im joking because most people think tourettes is just swearing loads, :(

Explain the list of symptoms you believe you have to your parents. Print out Wikipedia's article on Tourette's and other reliable articles that you can find. Approach your parents with an appropriate level of gravity and tell them what you think is going on. Explain that this is causing you worry.

That said, unless these things are causing you lots of trouble, there's really no reason to be worried. If even your parents don't notice, chances are nobody else will either. It probably isn't affecting your ability to live a happy, normal, and fulfilling life. And that is what's truly important.

coddersjnr
03-01-09, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the advice :) I think I'll tell my friends first before my family and see what they say but what you were saying about it affecting my life. It isn't a major problem at home, in fact i quite enjoy letting out everything ive been trying to hold back by screaming and jumping around the room. its just i'm in my first year at college and these 'tics' seem to be affecting how i pay attention in class and how much i write in my coursework, i really want to go university and i dont know if its serious enough to go see someone about it

ADistractedDude
03-21-09, 02:33 PM
Does anyone else find that they can control their tics for short periods of time, such as when meeting new people, giving a presentation, etc., but that their tics get more severe afterwards? For me, it's as if my body/mind needs to make-up for the lack of tic-ing.

zarazz
03-21-09, 08:52 PM
Does anyone else find that they can control their tics for short periods of time, such as when meeting new people, giving a presentation, etc., but that their tics get more severe afterwards? For me, it's as if my body/mind needs to make-up for the lack of tic-ing.
That is a very common occurance infact I believe that that ability is what helps define a tic over just a spasm, to the outside observer of course.

elizabethbdn
04-28-09, 10:53 PM
For diagnostic critera for Tourette's a verbal tic and physical tic must be present for at least one year.

zarazz
04-28-09, 11:12 PM
For diagnostic critera for Tourette's a verbal tic and physical tic must be present for at least one year. actually it is multiple motor (physical) tics present for over a year with at least one vocal tic present at some point during the "illness" yet not necessarily cocurrent.

Aoife_B
10-11-09, 11:14 AM
I have all these...especially ones in red

Animal sounds (Pig, dog)
Ankle flexing
Arm extending
Arm flailing
Arm flexing
Arm jerking
Bite mouth, lip, arm
Body jerking
Clapping
Coughing
Eye blinking
Eye rolling
Facial grimacing
Finger movements
Foot tapping
Gasping
Hair out of eyes
Hair tossing
Hair twisting
Hand fiddling
Head jerking
Hiccups
Hitting
Hitting self or others
Humming
Jaw thrusting
Jumping
Kicking
Leg jerking
Misc. noises
Nose twitching
Nose wrinkling
Puffing
Pulling clothes
Shoulder shrugging (!!)
Skip step
Sniffing
Sniffs
Snorting
Squinting
Stomping
Tensing parts of body
Throat clearing
Toe scrunching
Touching objects
Walking on toes
Writhing movements
Putting hands to face
Teeth grinding
Screwing up hands into fists
Jaw tensing

Also does anyone tic in their sleep? I sniff, grind my teeth and occasionally make noises apparently but no where near as much as in the day

Logic
10-20-09, 11:23 PM
Here's my own abbreviated and summarised list of the stuff that I do personally, some of the things are grouped together as they're quite similar;

Arm extending - feels like there's something stopping me from straightening my arm(s) so I have to stick them out straight. Like if you've had something put in plaster when you broke it and you get overcome with the urge to move that part of you.

Arm flexing/jerking - to the extent where I've hit myself in the chest (and accidentally hit somebody else)

Banging - this has gotten me in a lot of trouble, in police custody I banged my (cuffed) wrists down on the table in front of me and got serious grief from the guys interviewing me :(

Bite mouth/lip/arms/nails & picking - the inside of my mouth is shredded from 'nibbling' away, my fingers/hands are permanently sore and bloodied.

Coprolalia - so far only one isolated incident

Foot shaking/tapping & Leg Jerking - pretty harmless, but I heard our class tutor stop what he was saying last year and say "whoever is tapping something, could they please stop" and everybody looked at me... :o

Guttural sounds, Throat Clearing & Sniffs - I sound like I have a permanent cough/cold some days

Hair twisting/twirling - I keep my head shaved for a reason!

Hand fiddling - I've re-broken a finger becasue I couldn't leave it alone.

Head banging - Woken myself up a couple of times doing this, an ex-girlfriend told me that I banged my head against the floor and woke up looking confused when I fell asleep on the rug in the living room watching TV. Happened a couple of times in 'waking' situations too, but much more common for me to do this in my sleep.

Head jerking & Rapid jerking parts of body - when you don't look like a dangerous wierdo already... :(

Hitting self or others - I can deal with occasionally hitting myself, but there's a whole can of worms to be opened up when you accidentally hit somebody else. How do you explain that?!
<o></o>
Shoulder shrugging - mainly one shoulder goes and not both though

Talking to oneself - beats talking to the Dog or the houseplants...

Tensing parts of body - A guy I work with on the door pointed out that I do this 'too much' in his words. He thought I was 'flexing' while standing there on the door (I only do that at home after I'be been to the gym and am still fairly pumped up...:o)

Walking on toes - done this since I could walk

Yelping - Brand new to me, frghtened the crap out of my housemate the other week doing this<o></o>

<o></o><o>I don't (and probably never will) have a diagnosis or TS, nor am I looking for one honestly, I've got a list of letters after my name as it is, and I'm not that qualified...</o>
<o>Some of these I've lived with for as long as I can remember, others, such as the vocalisations - are incredibly recent, and still causing a bit of confusion.</o>:p>
<o></o><o>I don't really mind though, it's all part of what makes me, me.</o>

<o></o><o>Logic</o>

zarazz
10-21-09, 12:01 AM
<o></o><o>I don't really mind though, it's all part of what makes me, me.</o>

<o></o><o>Logic</o>

3 cheers for uniqueness:D:D:p

Crazygirl79
11-01-09, 05:47 AM
I do have tics and even gained a diagnosis of a mild tic disorder and some of these symptoms apply to me.

My mother and I were discussing this today and she said that I'm a mixed basket of disorders and tics are part of it and always have been.

Again thank you for this useful thread, I'm sure many of those with Tourettes or any form of tic disorders will find this to be very helpful!!

Selena

martingibson
12-16-09, 08:26 PM
I have been consciously trying to observe a tic of one of my students. I have had 2 other students with tourettes in the last few years. I've taught regular ed and special ed for 13 years. I've been looking so hard for a tic that I actually recognized three undiagnosed kids with "tics" .

The first tic I've observed in 68 days from this student was the eye roll after I told him that he had to stay in for recess to complete some work.

I really want to understand. Comments? Help?

Crazygirl79
12-16-09, 09:53 PM
Martin, while this forum is helpful you should really google up a forum thats more Tourettes/Tic Disorder orientated (I think I should do that too)

ZiggyFry
12-16-09, 10:53 PM
Martin, while this forum is helpful you should really google up a forum thats more Tourettes/Tic Disorder orientated (I think I should do that too)

I've tried this, and I was disappointed to find only a handful of semi-dead tourette's forums. :(

If anyone finds one worth visiting, I would appreciate a link to it :)

Sin.Ziggy.

Crazygirl79
12-17-09, 12:37 AM
Ziggy, I joined an excellent british operated forum for TS about 5 years ago and I can't remember what it was called (which sh*ts me) but I am in the process of looking for it again and when I find it I'll give you the link.

hotwired
07-18-13, 07:00 AM
My 11 year old daughter has a DX of ADHD and is on 15-20 mg Focalin XR. We tried Concerta first but I believe we switched as an experiment to reduce side effects and it worked.

I am trying to find ways to offer her to help her control her tics. She has a little bit of "will" now but peer pressure will most likely give her a little extra "will" and I'd like to have a toolbox of "ways" to go with her "will" if you know what I mean!

They really arent' bad compared to many stories I've read. Her mom says she does something with her nose (I'm hard of hearing and have never heard it) like short blasts of air out, or inhaling in short staccato bursts. She also rolls her eyes upward (often misinterpreted as disrespect) and grimaces (stretches mouth wide and pulls bottom lip in.) She used to shrug her shoulders and make fists in front of her but I think constant reminding and moving from concerta to focalin has eliminated that.

I also have tons of tics that have simply gotten worse over the year, so she comes by it naturally.

Any success stories on reducing tics that I can pass onto my daughter would be so appreciated. I find in myself just relaxing helps in the moment but not for long ....