View Full Version : I have no insurance:( any help?

No Insurance
09-02-08, 06:21 PM
Hi!

I am an independent contractor (work for myself) so therefor I can not afford health insurance. I have Adult ADD and was seeing a Dr but then he moved, so now I have to start all over. It's a real bummer because, I take concerta, probably about 2 times a week just to keep me on track, and since I didn't need it all of the time and he understood that I didn't have insurance, he would write me a subscription for 3 months so that I wouldn't have to pay for a visit everytime I needed a perscription. Now I have to find a new Doctor and the same office that he was working in says that I need to pay $300 just to switch doctors and have another "initial" consultation! That's alot of cash for me, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any Doctors with a sliding scale or at least cheaper visits. I live in Ocean Beach (San Diego) CA. Your help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ps also, does anyone know if there is a generic version of Concerta, because it's really expensive

ecu20
09-02-08, 10:39 PM
Hi!

I am an independent contractor (work for myself) so therefor I can not afford health insurance. I have Adult ADD and was seeing a Dr but then he moved, so now I have to start all over. It's a real bummer because, I take concerta, probably about 2 times a week just to keep me on track, and since I didn't need it all of the time and he understood that I didn't have insurance, he would write me a subscription for 3 months so that I wouldn't have to pay for a visit everytime I needed a perscription. Now I have to find a new Doctor and the same office that he was working in says that I need to pay $300 just to switch doctors and have another "initial" consultation! That's alot of cash for me, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any Doctors with a sliding scale or at least cheaper visits. I live in Ocean Beach (San Diego) CA. Your help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ps also, does anyone know if there is a generic version of Concerta, because it's really expensive

I can't answer most of your post, but concerta is essentially a sustained release methylphenidate. It is so people can take one pill in the morning and it last all day (not sure exactly how many hours).

I've been told that the generic methylphenidate is nothing like ritalin, but if you are really in a bind, try asking your doc to switch you over to generic and dose however many times a day (2?) accordingly.

MECMR
09-07-08, 12:17 AM
Hi!

I would start looking for mental helath clinics in your area. Many of them will work on a sliding scale. You should be able to get your records from your former doc or the clinic where he worked.

There are specific boards for states and even cities here... I don't know exactly where they are, but if you find the California board, maybe somebody there will have specific info for you?

Edited to add: Hey, I found it! http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=165

Good luck!

RoboticPaper
09-07-08, 10:56 PM
There's free discount cards available online. Not as good as insurance but it definitely still saves you some money.

The one I use is called the UNA Rx Card. Google it. You just have to register and it gives you an id number and basically all the information fields that would be on an insurance card.

On one prescription I had that cost $120. It cost like $90 after the discount. I'm not sure all meds get the same discount or not. I have to look into it more myself because I just paid a good bit for adderall xr...though that probably costs more anyways.

ToneTone
09-09-08, 02:41 AM
You can go to Sam's Club, Wal-mart, costco, target, etc ... and get a prescription filled for generic ritalin for about $4 ... It's definitely $4 a wal-mart ... I think it's about the same at the others ...obviously the generic ritalin is immediate release, not the long-release concerta, but it's as close as you can get .....

see if you can find a family doc who will just write you a script until you find another psychiatrist ... you can be blunt and tell the family doc you can't afford an evaluation, etc., right now ....

did the first doctor "diagnose" you? ... if he did, you can request your records and hand them to the new doc ... best bet, find a family doc who is comfortable giving out adhd scripts ... you may be able to go to the adderall or concerta websites and look for doctors names there ...

i'm sure there are sliding scale clinics around ... call Catholic Charities or your local department of health services or human services ... they'll be able to point you toward clinics with sliding scales ... some are actually not bad at all ... I have a friend who goes to one ... and it's very reasonably well maintained, clean, no long lines, organized, etc .....

good luck ....here where i live there are some city run clinics ... those have the super-long lines, i think ... but maybe not if you actually schedule ahead of time (versus walk in off the street as many people do) ....

ADDInWI
11-14-08, 04:37 PM
There's free discount cards available online. Not as good as insurance but it definitely still saves you some money.

The one I use is called the UNA Rx Card. Google it. You just have to register and it gives you an id number and basically all the information fields that would be on an insurance card.

On one prescription I had that cost $120. It cost like $90 after the discount. I'm not sure all meds get the same discount or not. I have to look into it more myself because I just paid a good bit for adderall xr...though that probably costs more anyways.

Yes, I agree. Try and find a state sponsored prescription drug plan. In WI there is one that costs $20/year and accoording to the lady I spoke with my prescription will be $55 instead of $124.

I am in the same boat on the insurance front. I too am a consultant. I have a pretty crummy policy thanks to a preexisting condition. My policy has a $2,500 deducable. When I went to the doctor I got stuck with a $200 bill. It sucks but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Do some research, you'll find something, I wish you the best of luck.