View Full Version : Taking Xanax at night to relax & sleep

NickL30
09-02-08, 08:54 PM
Maybe this isn't the right place, but I find myself taking Xanax at night, sometimes double the dosage (3 or 4 pills) so I can relax and sleep. Has anyone ever felt locked in this manic state? I called the doctor who wrote me all these scripts and he increased the Gabapentin to 900MG a day.

Last night I took a few Xanax and I literally passed out (not fainted or anything like that) on the floor in my living room in my clothes. At least I didn't oversleep and made it to work on time

Spongedaddy
09-02-08, 09:11 PM
Maybe this isn't the right place, but I find myself taking Xanax at night, sometimes double the dosage (3 or 4 pills) so I can relax and sleep. Has anyone ever felt locked in this manic state? I called the doctor who wrote me all these scripts and he increased the Gabapentin to 900MG a day.

Last night I took a few Xanax and I literally passed out (not fainted or anything like that) on the floor in my living room in my clothes. At least I didn't oversleep and made it to work on time

Be careful. I do take Xanax at night, but only one...on rare occasions two...and I have a very low dose...passing out on the kitchen floor is what those in the industry call "not good."

adhdogwalker
09-20-08, 08:17 PM
I take Xanax at night occasionally to sleep but I hate the stuff (it makes me throw up some times) so I don't take it too often. I prefer to save it for when I have to park in my neighborhood on a Sunday afternoon or if I get stuck in traffic (I know the amount to take so I am not impaired when I drive). Better that than kill someone!

I understand what you mean about feeling locked in a manic state-- I was there for months and months. I am actually a little hypomanic right now but still in a fun way because I am fairly medicated.

Maybe you should try asking your doctor for something else to help you calm down your mania. Seroquel works well for me and it makes me feel great at the same time-- it even has the added bonus of getting rid of any pain I may be experiencing and getting rid of migraines. I discovered this all quite by accident as I was initially prescribed it for sleep. I don't take it every day any more as I started having elevated prolactin from it and currently take Abilify instead as it better helps my agitation and irritibility when manic.

NickL30
09-21-08, 12:18 AM
I take Xanax at night occasionally to sleep but I hate the stuff (it makes me throw up some times) so I don't take it too often. I prefer to save it for when I have to park in my neighborhood on a Sunday afternoon or if I get stuck in traffic (I know the amount to take so I am not impaired when I drive). Better that than kill someone!

I understand what you mean about feeling locked in a manic state-- I was there for months and months. I am actually a little hypomanic right now but still in a fun way because I am fairly medicated.

Maybe you should try asking your doctor for something else to help you calm down your mania. Seroquel works well for me and it makes me feel great at the same time-- it even has the added bonus of getting rid of any pain I may be experiencing and getting rid of migraines. I discovered this all quite by accident as I was initially prescribed it for sleep. I don't take it every day any more as I started having elevated prolactin from it and currently take Abilify instead as it better helps my agitation and irritibility when manic.

Should start a new thread for this but apparantely for me
The problems of Hypomania 'strike again'. I usually do the six month job cycle where by month 3 I become bored and apathetic now likely do to the meds and sometimes very high strung & irritable. I procrastinate & forget to do things and then the **** hits the fan. So as my supervisor said, my work is a mess in this whole quickbooks file and I have to work from this Sunday 9am - Monday 7pm or later (yes 7pm a full 22 hours at least) to fix it.

This is in Accounting in Financial Services -- a very small company probably the worst job for someone with any type of ADHD or Bipolar. Involves spreadsheets, quickbooks, reconciling and going thru pages & pages of general ledger and bank statements.

The hypomania gave me extra energy & focus, but apparantely on the wrong things. Sure, I could workout after work for 2-3 hours and then go home and clean until 1am or so but didn't give the same dedication to my job. Also, I don't kiss *** hard enough especially to the company chairman -- this person I have never spoken to but who my coworkers (all 3 of them) treat like god or the King of England.