View Full Version : My therapist annoys me

bubbles34
09-03-08, 04:22 PM
The first time I went to her, I thought she was cool. I am on my 2nd visit before the psychiatrist appointment.

When I walked in the room the first day she told me immediately she thought I had ADHD. Our appointment ended up being a lot shorter than predicted, because we had nothing deep to really talk about. So I go back this time, thinking "what else could we possibly talk about, we covered everything". She asks me question after question, some of which I was asked before the first time. She kept insinuating that she thought I had more to talk about than what I was talking about. That made me angry because, I don't have anything else to say that hasn't been said. I am a clear cut ADHD case. I think she assumes because of the way I talk about my problems, she thinks I am hiding something. I talk about my problems with ADHD as if they were symptoms of a disorder (which they are). I don't come in all emotional, crying and acting desperate and lost like she was probably expecting. I guess my nonchalant way of talking about it makes her think I am "hiding something". She made me have ANOTHER appointment with her before I see my psychiatrist for the first time in October. I was so ****ed. I felt like she was just trying to get all the money out of me that she could before I left for another doctor. When she tells me we really have nothing more to discuss...then makes a 3rd freaking appointment where I can sit uncomfortably in her office talking about BS.. I am just not happy. Plus I felt like she was judging my life. Kind of like she didn't approve of my job and was encouraging me to get a better one. I am just mad. It didn't go well.

olavia
09-03-08, 04:50 PM
The first time I went to her, I thought she was cool. I am on my 2nd visit before the psychiatrist appointment.

When I walked in the room the first day she told me immediately she thought I had ADHD. Our appointment ended up being a lot shorter than predicted, because we had nothing deep to really talk about. So I go back this time, thinking "what else could we possibly talk about, we covered everything". She asks me question after question, some of which I was asked before the first time. She kept insinuating that she thought I had more to talk about than what I was talking about. That made me angry because, I don't have anything else to say that hasn't been said. I am a clear cut ADHD case. I think she assumes because of the way I talk about my problems, she thinks I am hiding something. I talk about my problems with ADHD as if they were symptoms of a disorder (which they are). I don't come in all emotional, crying and acting desperate and lost like she was probably expecting. I guess my nonchalant way of talking about it makes her think I am "hiding something". She made me have ANOTHER appointment with her before I see my psychiatrist for the first time in October. I was so ****ed. I felt like she was just trying to get all the money out of me that she could before I left for another doctor. When she tells me we really have nothing more to discuss...then makes a 3rd freaking appointment where I can sit uncomfortably in her office talking about BS.. I am just not happy. Plus I felt like she was judging my life. Kind of like she didn't approve of my job and was encouraging me to get a better one. I am just mad. It didn't go well.

Been there.Done that. You have my sympathy!

GiddyMoon
09-07-08, 07:55 PM
If you do not like her, find another one. A therapist is not going to work unless you trust them.

thinkz
09-08-08, 05:10 AM
maybe a coach would be better, one that is aware of adult add/adhd and can suggest tools to enhance your life/job/whatever.... often Dr. have worked with a coach.. cant you see the Dr w/out a therapist? mmhmm just a thought..peace to you..

DeloresMelon
09-08-08, 07:11 AM
maybe she's watched too much CSI or The Closer. I understand how annoying that must feel, I've experienced it myself, only it's my mother.

I agree with the poster that said to find another therapist. If you're not happy with this one, you'll just shut down when you have to see her.

there's certainly nothing wrong with meeting with several therapists before you find one you're comfortable with.

Dizfriz
09-08-08, 07:29 AM
Not liking the therapist the psychiatrist refers to:

One thing to consider, many psychiatrists have a therapist do the initial assessment. If this is the case the only recourse you may have is to call the doc's office and see if there is someone else you can see.

For an assessment, it does not matter too much as long as you do not actively dislike the therapist. For ongoing therapy, emotional connection is essential.

Dizfriz

busyhermit
09-08-08, 07:33 AM
I agree with the others. I'm grateful that my therapist doesn't pressure me in any way about appointments and such - we discuss and agree upon how often we will meet, and it's always been clear that I need only to continue going if I want to.

I can see where perhaps you want to make sure you get treatment for ADHD, but once diagnosed......I mean, if you don't have other emotional problems.......why do they have you continuing with a therapist? Personally, I have lots of other problems that cannot be treated with medication only, so I am glad to go to therapy. I need it. There is never a shortage of things to talk about.

But like others have said - if you feel you might benefit from therapy, I had to have a therapist that I respected and trusted before I could really open up.

D.B. Cooper
09-15-08, 09:07 PM
It takes multiple tries to find a decent one. Four for me, my current one is pretty good.

mctavish23
09-17-08, 11:23 PM
I've made annoying my colleagues who won't read any of the research on ADHD, an art form.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

Jillette
09-18-08, 07:07 PM
If you do not like her, find another one. A therapist is not going to work unless you trust them.

*I agree the therapist is not for you request another.

ikgbixcal
09-20-08, 03:31 PM
i belive i have the best therapist. he takes adderal and wellbutrin and every time i see him he looks like he's geeked. lol he's a pretty awsome guy too

Hirik
09-28-08, 03:32 AM
sounds like a terrible therapist, thats not how things are supposed to work at all.

Johnny123
11-09-08, 05:39 AM
The one i went to once said the first thing she thought when i walked in is that i was a stoner. After that i kinda felt ****. I did kinda laugh though as i do smoke abit of the fine herb, but not that frequently!!
but thats a school's one who i defiantly do not trust, but thought i had ADD.

mctavish23
11-14-08, 11:15 PM
Therapy is more "art" than science.

If you went to 10 different psychologist's, you'd get 10 different personalities

Plus 10 different ways of doing the same thing.

(And oh yeah, at least 5 of them would be very weird).

Basically, rapport is everything.

I give all new clients and parents of clients ( as I work with kids 6-19+)

My own Informed Consent Memo.

I started doing that in 1995

At our rural, non-profit, community mental health center, our Intake dept provides info on Informed Consent.

While that info is sufficient, as it covers a number of broad based areas concerning treatment,

I find it insufficient, as no two practices or styles will be the same.

The Memo I give out explains my view of what therapy is and what to expect from specifically working with me,

As well as the different types of therapy I use ( including some background info on each one).

In the process, I also make it clear that there are no " magic wands" and that I can't "fix" anyone.

More over, I also stress that I'm not repsonsible for anyone but myself.

Included in that Memo is information on Confidentiality,including my being a Mandated Reporter of Child Abuse & Neglect in my state,

As well as outlining how, in my position as therapist for the child/children,

I will not be expressing preferences in custody/visitation disputes.

To me, therapy is like an ongoing process where you identify specific ares of concern and then set (realistic) goals on how to address them.

January 24th will be 25 years at my position.

While I've always worked with kids,

The last 20-23 yrs has seen my practice become a word of mouth (90-95% ADHD),

ADHD specialized practice.

Because I have such a severe case of ADHD, and have been blessed to get this far,

I usually gets those Intakes.

I also openly advertise an "Evidence Based" practice

Simply put , that means "Prove it."

Put another way, it means being able to "open the book" and show you what the research says about that particular area.

Having been diagnosed at age 22, after 9 F's in HS & College,

It means so much to me to make sure that I only use what the research says "works."

I'm truly blessed to be where I am and I love what I do.

So, good luck in looking for someone you feel comfortable with,

And who knows what their doing.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

57Mutt
12-09-08, 02:45 PM
i did get a great referral for a P doc though, but it took me three tries to find one who is willing to work in a non judgmental, supportive way.

the first therapist tried to "diagnose" me as well, but from third person (non professional) information that IMHO biased the therapist as well putting me on a defensive posture.

QueensU_girl
12-10-08, 10:44 PM
Yup, get a new therapist.

re: #14
McTavish, you always have the best posts!