View Full Version : Focalin Xr at maximum adult dose

LadyWeaver
09-07-08, 09:55 PM
I have been taking Focalin Xr for a while now and I am on the maximum dose for adults, 20 mgs a day. I have noticed that I am not as focused as I was when I first started it and that I feel tired a lot.

I see the nurse practitioner on the 24th of this month, I am going to ask her if we can try either Adderal or Vyvanse and see if either one of them make a difference.

Has anyone else had a problem with headaches while on the Focalin Xr?

whitedaikan
09-10-08, 11:34 AM
I took 20mg in the morning and 10mg 5hrs after I got up. That pretty much elimanated any organizational/work issues I had but I definately was getting edgy and anti-social on it. Now I am on vyvanse day #2- I'll let you know how it goes.

And to answer your question I got headaches with focalin xr when I didn't eat but they went away after a few weeks of being on the med.

JR1973
09-10-08, 12:25 PM
Remember that 20mg is only the FDA approved limit. There are many studies done by experts that go much higher with much better results. Matter of fact the most recent study I read showed that 40mg a day was the most effective dosage of Focalin XR.

J

hollywood
09-26-08, 11:13 AM
I used to take focalin xr , it was 40mg like JR posted. It seems like JR usually knows his stuff. That being said , Jr, I know it's all personal but all in all which medication is better head to head , concerta or focalin. I'm surprised many times that there aren't many posts on focalin. I think it's a good medication.

LadyWeaver
09-26-08, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the info. Saw the ANP on Wednesday and we decided to give regular Adderal a shot, she has me taking 10 mgs for 3 days and then increasing it to 20 and I see her in a month.
Just started it this morning

JR1973
09-27-08, 08:09 PM
Thanks. I'd say that Focalin is probably one of the least used but very potent ADHD medications out there. I'd put it on par with Adderall in terms of effectiveness. My only qualm (is that a real word??) is I absolutely hate the bimodal release profile used in Focalin XR (and Ritalin LA). Up...Down...Up...Down...crash.

Side note/rant to Novartis: What the hell are you doing?.....you have a great medication and almost ZERO marketing efforts.

Good luck on the Adderall! You may find it works quite well for you.

J