View Full Version : Medication for anxiety/depression/obsessive thoughts/"jealousy"

scarygreengiant
09-08-08, 08:31 PM
First, I would like to thank everyone who gave me advice about my "jealousy" issues. My pdoc recommended some therapists for me so I WILL be getting some much needed therapy for my issues.

However, I do have some questions regarding drugs. I'm currently taking Prozac for my depression/anxiety (obviously it's NOT working, lol :rolleyes:). My question is should I switch to another drug in addition doing the cognitive behavioral behavioral therapy? I don't want to add another medication to my treatment but I figure since I'm already on antidepressants anyway it wouldn't hurt to try swapping it for another drug to see if my depression improves.

I agree with the person who said that my jealousy/insecurity issues are a result of ADHD and not a chemical imbalance directly related to ADHD. However, I do feel that my depression, anxiety, and hyperfocus (which IS an ADHD) are definitely amplifying my jealousy/insecurity issues so I think engaging in therapy AND taking a medication that helps with anxiety or obsessive thoughts might be helpful for me.

So, if I do decide to switch from Prozac to something else, what type of drug would be most helpful? SSRIs? SNRIs? Trycyclics? MAOIs? Mood stabilizers? Thanks for your support. *hugs*

speedo
09-08-08, 09:06 PM
risperdal is sometimes used as an add-on in treating treatment resistant OCD. It seems that risperdal is very good for putting the brakes on obsessive thinking and risperdal and prozac have a synergistic effect that often does a good job of reducing problems with obsessions, repetetive behaviors and excessive rumination.

you need to be aware that in a few cases the combo of risperdal and an SSRI has backfired and made OCD worse, but it is unliikkely to happen and is a favorite combo for doctors to try when OCD does not respond fully to treatment with an SSRi.

Me :D

scarygreengiant
09-08-08, 09:17 PM
Rumination! That's the word I was looking for. Thanks! Any other suggestions from other members? I'm desperate to stop my obsessive thinking and rumination. I can't take it anymore! I even think about suicide sometimes! Don't worry I'm NOT going to do it.

CrystalShiloh
09-08-08, 09:59 PM
I have OCD and I take a daily 20 mg dose of Lexapro, an SSRI. It has helped. When I first started taking it, I was struck by how smart I felt. My thinking was way more rational and I was able to not only hear, but heed the voice in my head that was trying to talk me out of my obsessive thoughts. However, I still ruminate on some things some times. It seems to be that I am more susceptible to this when I am both stimulated and sleepy at the same time. If your thoughts are keeping you up at night, be sure to take your stimulant early in the morning (if it lasts 12 hours) or well before bed (if it is short-acting).

In addition medication and therapy, this book has also helped me to overcome my own insecurities: The Power of Self-Coaching: The Five Essential Steps to Creating the Life you Want (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Power-of-Self-Coaching/Joseph-J-Luciani-PhD/e/9780471463603/?itm=2) by Joseph J. Luciani, Ph.D.

speedo
09-08-08, 10:26 PM
for me it is risperdal that controls obsessive thinking. It has worked really well for me.

Me :D

amu_d
09-08-08, 11:02 PM
What other medications are you on? (especially for ADHD)

P.S. Zoloft, Celexa/Lexapro are the best SSRIs for people with ADHD (especially if you're taking medication for ADHD). Of course, drug response is variable at the end of the day.

scarygreengiant
09-08-08, 11:12 PM
54mg Concerta and a 5mg booster of Focalin in the evening.

amu_d
09-08-08, 11:16 PM
54mg Concerta and a 5mg booster of Focalin in the evening.

Zoloft would be a good choice out of the SSRIs in your case :D

hollywood
09-09-08, 02:35 PM
amu-d

Not to jack the thread but what if you had an allergic reaction to zoloft in the past, it gave me itchy skin all over my legs and torso while taking it for a month. Not sure if that would have gone away. Any suggestions on what may work for the exact same symptoms lol-

amu_d
09-09-08, 04:10 PM
amu-d

Not to jack the thread but what if you had an allergic reaction to zoloft in the past, it gave me itchy skin all over my legs and torso while taking it for a month. Not sure if that would have gone away. Any suggestions on what may work for the exact same symptoms lol-

Wow, that's harsh. Maybe you had an allergic reaction to the coating of the pills and not the Zoloft?

hollywood
09-09-08, 04:16 PM
anythings possible , it was over a few years ago, . Maybe it was my bed sheets or something as I was a bachelor living in a house back then. All I can say is that I had to put benadryl on the surface of my skin it got so bad, hell maybe it was something else besides the med. It seems like my response would be rare , but that did happen-

scarygreengiant
09-10-08, 06:51 PM
I have an appointment with a therapist on Oct. 2nd yay! I think I'll also ask the pdoc about switching to Zoloft or Risperdal.

hollywood
09-11-08, 11:21 AM
Did I miss something? Are you switching over to zoloft or risperdal from another antidepressant or mood stabalizer? I only thought you were taking concerta and or focalin? I didn't know you were currently taking some type of med for anxiety or jealous feelings-

scarygreengiant
09-11-08, 12:53 PM
I'm taking Concerta, Focalin, and Prozac. I'm thinking of switching from Prozac to something else for my depression/anxiety/obsessive thoughts/rumination.

hollywood
09-12-08, 10:03 AM
Ahhh, I got ya .... I'm starting to see alot of rumination and jealousy subtypes regarding adhd, and I definitely feel it has to stem directly from the adhd which can become better or worse as the years go on depending on your personal situational or environmnental position and educational background. I think the best precurser or preventitive measure would be to first get your education and academic background established and then it comes down to support and good decisions. What I'm saying is that if the first stem is indeed adhd from the beginning what we do in the developmental years can provide us with a safety net and stave off such mental offshoots such as jealousy and guilty type feelings. For example if your smart but marry a scandalous woman on impulse your more likely to become jealous that can stem from adhd and then become a full blown disorder if the situation gets out of hand. Anyways, you probably know that, another rant while hyperfocusing -

ikgbixcal
09-27-08, 02:19 PM
cymbalta wellbutrin and yvyanse and mayb seroquel or a benzo