View Full Version : I need music to help me focus, how can I get this thru to them?

Arei
09-09-08, 08:16 PM
I found out that I /don't/ have ADHD, nor do I have depression (which I never felt I did, because I'm really not a depressed/negative person). All of the medication I was taking was doing way more harm then good to my brain because I didn't have any of the stuff they were treating me for.

ANYWAY~ I'm getting the proper treatment now, but in the meantime my focus/concentration is not where it needs to be for school. My motivation is pretty zip, even for the things I WANT to do. I have to force myself to do EVERYTHING, and it makes me feel miserable.

For as long as I can remember, doodling and listening to music have always been the 2 things that have kept me focused. I draw while listening to things/taking notes, ESPECIALLY when its something I NEED to hear but don't particularly want to. By doing this, it keeps my mind focused on retaining what I need to hear. If I DON'T do this, and I "ACT" like i'm listening, I retain nothing, because my mind will wander all over the freakin place. I'm fine when I am having a CONVERSATION with someone, but if I'm just listening to someone yak and yak, I can get unfocused easily.

Same with music, while I'm working (independently of course), it serves the same purpose for keeping my mind occupied so it doesn't wander around. When it does, I just have zero motivation to do my work and no drive whatsoever. I just sit there, and I obviously cannot sit there.

My doctor has written me a note so I can atleast listen to it in art class. I can't afford to just sit there, I need crap done for my art portfolio liek nao.

Music therapy is good for my brains, and the stimulation is good if I just listen to it out of my right ear while I'm working on stuff. So it's good for improving my left frontal lobe function and making my brain happy, so its win-win for me.

The problem is my school has a no iPod policy now, which I think is crap. I know way more people who also concentrate better with music then those who have abused it in the past. I can get away with it in art, but not so much for other classes.

I want to be able to do something about this, as it's not fair for me or for others who have trouble focusing. I don't think this should be an issue /at all/. If someone is listening to music while the teacher is talking, their ipods should be taken up. If they listen to it only while they are working independently, there shouldn't be a problem. It DOES keep alot of people from talking.

I'm really not caring about what's particularly "fair" anymore, but I am tired of being held back/at a disadvantage because of the bad choices other people make. If music distracts you, you should be big enough by now to know not to listen to it, and if you still do it you deserve it to be taken up.

I need it to help me focus so I can get my work down, because I can't choose not to do it, which I would do if I wasn't forcing myself to do it. Because of all this, I'm extremely overwhelmed and I shut down quite easily, and it's not easy to work through it but I am pushing on and doing all I can to get my brain improvement as quickly as possible (lots of supplements and eye excersies and treatments and what not to do).

Is it so much to ask for just a little music while I work? I just want to give my best effort.

Hopefully in a couple of months, so I'm told, I should be where I will need the music less and less to concentrate, but right now I still need it =X

INaBOX
09-09-08, 08:31 PM
.. and it's not ADD? A lot of people with ADD/ADHD function better with music playing in the background. I use to study that way when I was in highschool. Now, I need absolute quiet.

I'm guessing you're in highschool. Do they work alongside Occupational Therapists? If yes, you may want to tap into them. They can help with providing specific equipment that doesn't look like an iPod but will function just the same. I'm not sure what resources highschools have in comparison to elementary schools. I know in elementary, Occupational, Physio and Speech Therapists (public or private) can come into the school for observation, suggestions, resources, etc.

Arei
09-09-08, 11:10 PM
I don't have ADD or ADHD. I had a neurological-specific test done to conform it, plus the meds didn't help me anyway.

We've got everything for my treatment in order, and so far there are great improvements, but the this aspect is slower then the rest. My main concern is getting a little cooperation out of my school, just a tad.

And it wouldn't matter what it was, if it had headphones it would be confiscated.

Unless it was wireless, and looked like a hearing aid or something...

... I am so totally going to look for one of those now xD That would be the most spiffy thing EVER

INaBOX
09-09-08, 11:14 PM
Does your condition have a name? Interesting .. sounds like ADD but it's not. huh
Check your highschool website - or School board website and see if they have any information on different resources you can tap into that gears for special needs.. who works with them in highschools and what services they provide. Your best bet is to get one of these people on your side to advocate on your behalf.

scarygreengiant
09-09-08, 11:15 PM
A lot of people with ADD/ADHD function better with music playing in the background.
I'm the complete opposite. I need complete silence because I'm distracted too easily and I have trouble filtering out the noise.

scarygreengiant
09-09-08, 11:17 PM
Arei,
Can you specify what your disability is? I'm not sure what to tell you because I don't know exactly what your problem/disability is. Good luck.

scarygreengiant
09-09-08, 11:18 PM
Does your condition have a name? Interesting .. sounds like ADD but it's not. huh
Check your highschool website - or School board website and see if they have any information on different resources you can tap into that gears for special needs.. who works with them in highschools and what services they provide. Your best bet is to get one of these people on your side to advocate on your behalf.

Ditto. I'm a bit confused too. :confused:

Arei
09-10-08, 12:05 AM
Background on thisL

There is no name. What it is is my left frontal lobe is hardly functioning, causing other parts of my brain (particularly the cerebellum) to kick into overdrive. So one part doesn't work, another part is exhausted. The left frontal lobe controls all of the stuff I'm having problems with pretty much: focus, motivation, and the like. I am overwhelmed by my inability to cope with things. I only have one class that I have lots of work to do in, and I'm in no way learning disabled. I should be breezing through, but what little work I have to do is absolutely overwhelming, and I shut down. And I obviously can't shut down, I just have to keep pushing through it.

All of this threw my emotions out of whack, my eyes are doing weird things, and I just became an all-around wreck. Any sort of stress, no matter how little, is overwhelming to me (though since the treatment started the other week I've been MUCH more emotionally stable, so thats good).

I'm not depressed or anything, I just got exhausted and frustrated. They started giving me medicines for depression, but the chemicals in my brain that usually contribute to depression are not low at all, in fact norephenephrine (cant spell) was super high, and I was taking lots of Wellbutrin, so that wasn't good.

The ADHD med (Vyvanse) did nothing for me, no matter what the dose. The higher doses just made me loose my appetite then I would horribly crash from it later, and thats /all/ it did. Then they threw straterra at me, I took it for 2 days and that was the last straw with medicines.

For 2 weeks I've been taking these neurotransmitter supporter supplements, and I am so far in much better shape then I ever was on the meds. So I obviously didn't have the ADHD I was supposedly being treated before.

And I've had most of these symptoms since I was little, and they did an ADHD test on me a looonng time ago and it also showed back then I didn't have it either.

MECMR
09-10-08, 12:10 AM
Background on thisL

There is no name. What it is is my left frontal lobe is hardly functioning, causing other parts of my brain (particularly the cerebellum) to kick into overdrive. So one part doesn't work, another part is exhausted. The left frontal lobe controls all of the stuff I'm having problems with pretty much: focus, motivation, and the like. I am overwhelmed by my inability to cope with things. I only have one class that I have lots of work to do in, and I'm in no way learning disabled. I should be breezing through, but what little work I have to do is absolutely overwhelming, and I shut down. And I obviously can't shut down, I just have to keep pushing through it.

All of this threw my emotions out of whack, my eyes are doing weird things, and I just became an all-around wreck. Any sort of stress, no matter how little, is overwhelming to me (though since the treatment started the other week I've been MUCH more emotionally stable, so thats good).

I'm not depressed or anything, I just got exhausted and frustrated. They started giving me medicines for depression, but the chemicals in my brain that usually contribute to depression are not low at all, in fact norephenephrine (cant spell) was super high, and I was taking lots of Wellbutrin, so that wasn't good.

The ADHD med (Vyvanse) did nothing for me, no matter what the dose. The higher doses just made me loose my appetite then I would horribly crash from it later, and thats /all/ it did. Then they threw straterra at me, I took it for 2 days and that was the last straw with medicines.

For 2 weeks I've been taking these neurotransmitter supporter supplements, and I am so far in much better shape then I ever was on the meds. So I obviously didn't have the ADHD I was supposedly being treated before.

And I've had most of these symptoms since I was little, and they did an ADHD test on me a looonng time ago and it also showed back then I didn't have it either.

I would say this is fascinating...but to you who are dealing with it, I don't think you would agree. :(

Have you looked into reasonable accomodation for a disability? It would mean the school needs to make some allowances for your needs in order to assist you with completing your classwork. It's not always easy to get, but it might be worth looking into.

Arei
09-10-08, 12:36 AM
I think its pretty darn fascinating too xD Mostly because we were able to figure this out by my simply peeing in a cup, and it being analyzed in a lab that knew exactly what to look for. Who knew you could measure your brain chemicals out of your urine? Thats totally genius in my book xD And it was much more accurate (and safer) then the guess and checks I went through with medication, where they just threw it at me and told me to just try and see :P

I will try to look into it. The note I got today to at least let me have some accommodations in one class is good news. I would take getting the doctor involved in order to sway my school into doing anything, because anyone can come up and say "hey I can't concentrate without music", and they would just laugh in your face :(

For me, music is a stimulant to get the brain juices flowing rather then stalling like they normally do, lol. It keeps me un-distracted. However they have banned music players from school, so I will have to go through lots of hoops to get my point across. My school is basically Money > School-work > Personal needs/desires. They care more about you being there then how well you do in class, and to me thats extremely off-putting and negative.

But like I said, to a certain extent I've gotten past the point where I care about whats "fair" or not, I just want to get through this X_X And I'm not the only person with this problem, there are other people who need that stimulation too.

GiddyMoon
09-10-08, 10:38 AM
As far as schools not allowing, it, teachers do not have the time to deal with students who will not follow the rules..which is why the rule had to be made in the first place...too many people break an "ethical code of conduct" and a rule must be implemented.

But...why don't you have an IEP in place if you have this disability? If this is what works for you, if the IEP is in place, the use of music can be written in to be allowed as long as it shows you can keep your grades up.

As far as other people needing stimulation, that is up to their parents to have diagnosed and they can get the same services...just remember, the rule was made for a reason. For many people, the person using the Ipod is the distraction.

Last, out of curiosity, what kind of treatment are you on that is helping you?

INaBOX
09-10-08, 07:56 PM
This is interesting. I agree with the IEP comment. You have special needs and I know children with special needs use "white noise" or "head-sets" to enable their learning. I think using an iPod with a Dr.'s note and proof of diagnoses (a label would help) should be enough to allow you to listen to music. Also, you can present it as an on-trial basis. If your marks improve, there's no reason to discontinue .. just don't abuse it. Good luck. Talk with the right people.