View Full Version : Cycling as an AD(H)D blessing/therapy?

dreamdweller
09-12-08, 09:13 PM
I wonder if there are any AD(H)D cyclists out there? I found that perhaps because of my ADHD ( hyperactive type ) over the years I have become an obsessive and devoted cyclist! I often feel very restless ( especially when I have to do something boring at my desk ) , but when I get in the saddle and start spinning pedals my mind calms down and I feel much happier and relaxed. I cycle everywhere in London, UK but I also cycle tour ( mostly in France and Europe ). I can happily cycle for 8-10 hours pretty much non-stop. I also do brevets - long 100 to 400 km rides in South England. I do get very tired by the end of the ride but also very happy and very calm. I am sure it won't work for everyone I would recommend it as an excellent exercise for the hyperactive type of ADHD as cycling involves a lot of activity, and at the same time time is not very straining! If you cycle in beautiful places it is also very rewarding in terms of making you feel that life is, despite all, worth living. If you are and ADDer cyclist, please, please give me a shout and share your experiences!

INaBOX
09-12-08, 09:38 PM
I'm ADD and my 8yr old son has ADHD and we just started cycling together this summer. Now we bike to/from school and it's great! There are some nice trails around here as well.

Mincan
09-14-08, 11:31 AM
Bicycle is my main mode of transportation. I use it for everything. I used to ride about 6 hours or more for pleasure. As my responsibilities have grown I need to ride more often for errands so the pleasure riding has gone down.

I'd say it would be strange on a normal day for me to not have ridden 6 km or so.

ustilago
09-14-08, 04:04 PM
Before we had children I exclusively rode a bicycle everywhere. I would turn down rides on days with wind, rain or snow because I needed my "fix".

Without a doubt, it was the best time of my life from a physical and mental health standpoint. I have never felt better, before or since.

The move to Montreal (where you have to be insane or suicidal to ride a bike) was the beginning of the end for cycling for me.
Since then I have screwed up my lower back and cycling causes extreme discomfort. I no longer ride (maybe once or twice a year) and my physical and mental health are suffering from it.

Everyzig2101
09-15-08, 12:18 AM
yes i use cycling as my primary treatment of my adhd. meds just never worked. i just re discovered biking this summer. mountain biking is particularly cool because it satisfies my need for risky adrenaline charged situations

Howard_C
09-18-08, 12:27 AM
yes i use cycling as my primary treatment of my adhd. meds just never worked. i just re discovered biking this summer. mountain biking is particularly cool because it satisfies my need for risky adrenaline charged situations

Everyzig2101 -

So you are off the meds now? Congrats, especially as you sound pretty happy.

Did the desoxyn not work out for you in the long run?

(I had seen your earlier thread on that med from June 2007).

Could you go back to that earlier thread and post a brief update for us?

Thanx

dreamdweller
10-09-08, 06:36 PM
Before we had children I exclusively rode a bicycle everywhere. I would turn down rides on days with wind, rain or snow because I needed my "fix".

Without a doubt, it was the best time of my life from a physical and mental health standpoint. I have never felt better, before or since.

The move to Montreal (where you have to be insane or suicidal to ride a bike) was the beginning of the end for cycling for me.
Since then I have screwed up my lower back and cycling causes extreme discomfort. I no longer ride (maybe once or twice a year) and my physical and mental health are suffering from it.
Hi ustilago
Really sorry to hear you had to cut down on your cycling so drastically. I hope you back recovers. Alternatively you can try to buy a recumbent bike - they are costly but they usually take the strain off the back. Also a Duth style upright roadster bike might be another alternative. I heard they sell those in Vancouver. As for cycling in Montreal - I have never been to the city. A friend of mine from London, UK who emigrated to Canada and now lives in Montreal cycles there a lot and says it is OK once you built up confidence. When I first started cycling in London I thought I will be dead in a week, but I am still around, 8 years later. Sometimes it is indeed unpleasant, but once you built up confidence it is nearly not as bad as it seems. Also you are so lucky to have so much fresh water where you live! My other hobby is canoing - I keep my canoe (a Clipper Prospector, made in Canada! ) on the Thames, and I wish so much there were huge rivers and lakes here in Britain just like in Canada!