View Full Version : Klonopin for anxiety

cbenete
09-14-08, 01:28 PM
Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask a question or two about Klonopin, for those who are familiar with, and have been medicated by it. I have anxiety, there's no doubt about that. It's mainly situation and social but it prevents me from doing things by avoiding those situations. Anyhow, being that I'm mainly against over medicating for reasons that are unnecessary, I've tried everything from fish oil, kava, 5htp and of course exercise. I also tried Effexor for a couple weeks but that kept me awake. My doctor finally decides to give me Klonopin at .5 mgs 3 times a day. I decided I was only going to use it as needed when a situation arises. I told this to my doctor and he says that I am more likely to become dependent and addicted by taking it that way than as he prescribed. He told to I should really take it as prescribed to completely eliminate anxiety. I'm terrified of the potential physical addition and have read some pretty bad horror stories of people coming off benzos, especially Klonopin. Has anyone been treated with Klonopin and successfully weaned off with no problems? Am I being overly cautious? Should I keep taking the Klonopin "as needed" instead? Thanks!

speedo
09-14-08, 01:32 PM
You shouldn't have any problems if you take it as the doctor prescribed it.

Me :D

saskman
09-15-08, 02:17 PM
I can certainly testify to coming off Klonopin abrubtly. I have been prescribed Klonopin a few times and each time I am unable to follow the recommended dose meaning I run out before refill. The best way to describe the withdrawal is dreadful. You are not yourself and you wonder if you'll ever be back. I'm definitely finished with benzo's.

D.B. Cooper
09-15-08, 06:23 PM
If he scripted it daily he isnt familiar with how benzos work. Your solution of taking it as needed is generally how its prescribed unless you have a panic disorder.

MissMadness
09-18-08, 10:59 PM
I also take the generic form of Klonopin (Clonazepam). It works wonders for anxiety. I take it for my rebound on Adderall. You are taking a very small dosage. So I wouldn't be too concerned. Just follow the doctors orders. It is also a long acting benzo so you get great all day effects.

Veggymel
09-26-08, 07:13 PM
I have used and abused Klonopin...leaving me in major withdrawl....I will never take a benzo again after that. I was unable to take it in a small dose and got addicted and dependant on it....if it works for you just try not to use it too often. I have no anxiety at all on prozac and beforehand was having panic attacks all day everyday without the klonopin..... On prozac I would guess I have had 5 attacks in 4 years maybe...HUGE change.

ikgbixcal
09-27-08, 01:54 PM
my anxiety was so bad i had to take at least 2-4mg a day but the doc said to take half of a .5mg tab thats so low of a dosage. dumb doctors

ADDdiva
09-29-08, 08:47 PM
Hey there!

I am new to the forums, and this would be my first post.

Let me warn you about Klonopin. It is a great TEMPORARY fix for anxiety attacks but should not be taken regularly unless you have tried EVERYTHING else. My partner is currently on this medication for treatment of Acute Anxiety Syndrome. She takes one .5 in the morning and one and a half .5's at night. She has been on this for FOUR years (I think). It has slowed her libido and caused stress incontinence because it is not meant for long term usage.

I would not recommend it for a daily dosage at all...only on an "as needed" basis.

ikgbixcal
09-30-08, 08:29 AM
Hey there!

I am new to the forums, and this would be my first post.

Let me warn you about Klonopin. It is a great TEMPORARY fix for anxiety attacks but should not be taken regularly unless you have tried EVERYTHING else. My partner is currently on this medication for treatment of Acute Anxiety Syndrome. She takes one .5 in the morning and one and a half .5's at night. She has been on this for FOUR years (I think). It has slowed her libido and caused stress incontinence because it is not meant for long term usage.

I would not recommend it for a daily dosage at all...only on an "as needed" basis.

4years? its only 4 short term use(4-6 weeks)

ADDdiva
10-05-08, 02:53 PM

Yep, four years. She has acute anxiety syndrome. We are currently trying to find her something other than Klonopin. She tried Cymbalta, but the side effects were so horrible that she couldnt continue to take it.

D.B. Cooper
10-05-08, 05:20 PM

I've been taking benzos for years now although i tend not to take them daily for more than a week at a time simply because i know the horrors of withdrawal first hand. Contrary to popular belief its possible to take benzos long term without being a craven drug addict.

ADDdiva
10-05-08, 05:30 PM
Well, she also needs a medication that will not interact badly with the meds she is already taking...she gets frequent stress headaches, so she takes Tylenol 3 w/codeine. She takes nexium in the morning and sometimes phenargan to aid with the nausea from severe acid reflux (my poor little walking bundle of nerves). So she needs something to help her with her anxiety that ISN'T a sedative.

michael117
10-06-08, 01:16 AM
So she needs something to help her with her anxiety that ISN'T a sedative.
Klonopin is probably the least sedating benzo with about the same potency as Xanax mg per mg. The long half life gives it less abuse potential. It can still be abused, of course, and .5mg alone without my adderall leaves me a tiny bit drowsy. Taken with adderall at proper dosage, both cancel out the negative effects of one another and have given me great benefit since my pdoc prescribed klonopin to me last month. I am still cautious and try not to take it everyday.

D.B. Cooper
10-06-08, 01:17 PM
Klonopin is probably the least sedating benzo with about the same potency as Xanax mg per mg. .

This award goes to ativan. Klonopin is a quite potent sedative at anything over 1mg.

MismedicatdMess
12-22-11, 02:14 AM
I hate to be the one to get so graphically depressing about your new medication but you NEED another story to bear in mind because you're putting it in your body. Ive been taking 1mg klonopin twice a day for 2 years and will do so indefinitely. Im telling you, once you start with benzos, theres a very real chance you'll end up taking them for the rest of your life.

A year ago I tried to titrate down from them gradually.... to avoid withdrawal... that worked fine and smooth as I got down from 2mg a day to below .75mg per day. BUT once I tapered below that, I very quickly developed severe withdrawal, paranoia, anxiety, delusional derealisation and detachment from my body and disabling depression.

Oh yeah and one time I had a gap between running out and refilling due to getting stuck out of town (poor planning)... and that was an indescribable hell. Over a 3 day period since my last dose I very gradually slipped into a worsening nightmare, starting with mild discomfort and reduced sleep at day 2, until around day 4 without klonopin when I flat out stopped sleeping as I felt my brain and body start to fry me alive, heart racing, every inch of my body on fire and twitching until after 6 additional days of praying for death, not a wink of sleep, I collapsed and woke up the next day almost back to normal without the klonopin and if it hadn't been for the depakote and propranolol I had in hand, I would have probably had seizures or death.

Anyway by gradually titrating up and down as the months go by, I keep my tolerance in check that way and havnt needed to ever pass the 2mg per day threshold and I can do blocks of time where im only taking 1mg a day...but in reality, This is a bona fide physical addiction of biblical proportions. HEY if I were less naive and benzo naive, in otherwords could turn back the clock and never have touched them, I Would have reached for bottle of neuro sleep or anything with l theanine and 5htp and that would have taken care of me... but i was never warned. If you're not too far into it, now is the time to try and taper off of it and see if you can find use in l theanine, 5htp or something, perhaps you can't...

The good news is IMO Klonopin is the about the least evil benzo due to its longer half life, if you run out you have a couple days to do something about it before you slip into the flames of sheer agony, and unlike xanax you wont find yourself so inclined to take more more and more. but its still....a benzo, need i not say more. And as the years go by this stuff gradually dulls your cognition and it certainly interferes with the efficacy of adhd stimulants.

Careful and best wishes, your long term klonopin prescribee.