View Full Version : ADHD & Parents?

Hinata
09-21-08, 10:37 PM
I came here with a problem, and was wondering if anyone else had the same problem, and how they coped.

Teens out their like me who have ADHD and don't have supportive parents? How do you deal with the issue?

My family thinks it's not an illness at all. Just an excuses to lack off. I tried to tell them it's a chemical imbalance, ( at least that’s what I think it is, I don’t quit understand the whole thing, just that I know I have it) and they still write me off as lazy. Any tips on helping? Or thoughts on why they might be acting this way?

lollypop
09-22-08, 04:23 AM
I'm afraid I cant offer any advice only empathy.

My parents didnt feel I was lazy but they had no clue or understanding of the problems I experienced. Ultimaltey the stress's and constant arguments made home life was no unbearable I didnt like staying home and was out every night from a young age drinking to avoid staying in. Funny thing was my mum swore I had a drink problem yet the day I left home I stopped drinking lol

Dont take the route I did, I succeeded only in avoiding the issue and ensuring I had no energy to deal with my life and issues in any way other than avoidance. That took a few years to catch up on and get into some level of order back.

I hope things get settled and or sorted :)

ArtfulDodger
09-22-08, 06:42 AM
Are you able to seek treatment without them knowing about it, such as seeing a doctor? If you don't already have one, perhaps a firm diagnosis would help, or perhaps you could give them a book about the condition (such as Dr Hallowell's books, which are very good, and should change their opinion if they read it). You could even get one of the books and just leave it lying around the house. You never know. :)

I'm sorry your parents aren't understanding. I didn't know I had ADHD when I was still living with my parents, but I know how frustrating it is to be called lazy, thoughtless, etc when you are doing your best, and to feel they just don't "get it". I hope you are able to find the treatment you need.

Paws13
09-29-08, 05:38 PM
I can totally relate, Hinata. I have parents with the executive function, and they have no idea how I "picked up these habits".

Michiko74
11-12-08, 05:18 PM
My parents weren't exactly supportive either when I told them I had ADHD. I got the 'you'll be ok if only you tried a bit harder' line.

It's really hard, but you might have to keep getting help without their support. Eventually when they see how well you're doing, maybe they might change their minds. Of course you can see if there's another adult who would be willing to talk to them.

Believe it or not, their not wanting to take you seriously may have nothing to do with ADHD at all. Parents worry about all kinds of things. But sometimes that worry doesn't comes out as anger. They may wonder if there was something they did that 'caused' the ADHD.

Although you want to share your ADHD, they may not be ready to accept it. And you have to respect that. Maybe someday, but not right now.

Good luck!

Didi
02-16-09, 12:45 AM
I know how you feel, my dad still will never talk about it with me, we have a tense relationship. Good luck!