View Full Version : Trouble with Expressive language

lilthingsADDup
03-17-04, 03:52 PM
I don't know why I'm asking this here, where I see post lengths of the dead sea scrolls, lol....anyways do any of you have trouble forming sentences on paper or in person? You know, translating your thoughts into words. I don't know if this is ADD related or not.

I've been diagnosed with learning disability in the area of written expression.

t-bird
03-17-04, 04:23 PM
I do. I can think of the right thing to say but I can never put it into writing. I will have all of these great things to say but it never comes out right!

Ian
03-17-04, 04:33 PM
Me of the dead sea scroll length.. oh my.. I'm so guilty of that.. heh It must be tough if it doesn't' come naturally to you.

My ADHD testing was pretty thorough and didn't show any learning disabilities. It has helped to look at the testing results so that at least I know where my strengths and weaknesses are.

I'm sure there are many people with feelings like yours.
Easy does it. Ian.

Nucking_Futs
03-17-04, 04:43 PM
lilthingsADup,

I to have this problem. I believe you know that from personal experiance. I have been trying to shorten my replies and stay away from rambling. When I can go back and read what I posted I find that I have been short when I did not mean to be or I seem judgemental and abusive to another when that was not the intended goal. I've come to the conclusion that I (personally) prefer my rambling post's to the short and abrupt ones.

You are definatly not alone in your drama with poor communication skills. Just look to your left and there I will be standing right with ya.

Hugs

addhil
06-17-04, 11:51 AM
I actually made a thread on this, I often have a hard time forming sentences in person, especially when there are a lot of people around me and a lot of background noise, like in pubs and restaurants.

steveb
06-23-04, 04:49 PM
I often have to pause and find the word I want.
I fear it makes me look "dumb", or like I am trying to use legaleze in order to not be truthful while not lying.

auntchris
02-04-05, 01:03 AM
Oh yes this is me...me, me, me. I can think in my head what i want to say, and then when I try to put in on paper forget it. Something happen somewhere between the brain and the paper and I also worry aobut how my handwriting looks too.

I do so much better typing things out on the computer than jopurnalling but i still try to do the journnalling thing. didn't know there were so many people like this...Im not crazy ...ty ty ty. auntchris

casper
02-06-05, 10:12 PM
This sounds like me as well. By the way, I have multiple LD's

oegboy
11-04-05, 11:24 AM
...do any of you have trouble forming sentences on paper or in person? You know, translating your thoughts into words. I don't know if this is ADD related or not.

I've been diagnosed with learning disability in the area of written expression.I do, big time. but my doctor diagnosed it as Dysgraphia...
It's hard for me to write down, or even say out loud, exactly what I'm thinking or trying to say. If you look at my posts you'll notice that I often use / 's between two words and include little "footnotes" in ( )'s, I do it so I can make sure that I get my idea across to the reader.
It also takes me a LONG time to write something and get it to where I'm happy with it, especially when it's to someone else or I'm trying to explain something.
The only "good" thing I find about it is that it makes doing English papers kinda easier when it comes to revising rough drafts. I often hear people say how there's nothing in their rough draft to revise, but when I revise my rough drafts they'll be like a whole new paper when I'm finished:D

hypergeek
11-07-05, 12:45 PM
i got that problm big time. i always hate when they say "write a 2-page paper".

steveb
11-28-05, 08:12 PM
If you look at my posts you'll notice that I often use / 's between two words and include little "footnotes" in ( )'s, I do it so I can make sure that I get my idea across to the reader.

I do that big time.
I once asked my boss (a VP) if it was harder to understand my emails/reports because of it.
He said that he had never really noticed it.

One nice thing about writing, is that I do not have to stop the conversation to figure out what the original topic was. I can look at what was already written and stay on topic.

ADDAussie71
04-02-06, 10:16 PM
I don't know why I'm asking this here, where I see post lengths of the dead sea scrolls, lol....anyways do any of you have trouble forming sentences on paper or in person? You know, translating your thoughts into words. I don't know if this is ADD related or not.

I've been diagnosed with learning disability in the area of written expression.
Yes, this is something I really struggle with, and why I am sometimes not an active participater on forums, or someone who goes days or weeks without updating their blog, because the effort to try and get thoughts into writting just gets me frustrated. However, occasionally I do have my good days, when my brain does decided to co-operate somewhat.

Guest1
06-05-07, 11:42 AM
this me i suck at making sentences and making sence

boone1
06-05-07, 02:31 PM
I struggle with written expression too, I find it very hard to get my thoughts from may brain to the paper. It's SOO frustrating.

ah09087
06-11-07, 01:08 PM
This is me all day! lol. I can't write my thoughts down or say them. This sucks in school cuz in class the teachers think I'm just not participating and on tests cuz they think I don't know anything. I wish brains had a floppy or a memory stick. I'd just show them my mind and get A's for once. lol

Swede63
06-11-07, 01:30 PM
I understand. My problem is and let's say for example here at the forums, I know that I'm intelligent and I can even be involved in an intellectual discussion, but only in my mind, I mean I understand a lot, but I just cannot verbalize it. I guess that is the same as writing here.

It really gets me down because I want to respond and be understood and all that and I have so much to say!! (I'm sure many of you can relate) But it just doesn't come right away. It's that thought process that is short circuiting. Grrrr:mad:

QueensU_girl
06-11-07, 02:00 PM
ADD is a working memory disability.

That means that getting things onto paper (from our working memory) can be a problem.

Brain goes at 60 MPH, Pencil moves at 20 MPH, so 40 MPH worth or work gets LOST, while we are holding the info we want to eventually write down.

You can try using TAPE RECORDER.
Dragon Naturally Speaking (TYPES WHAT YOU SAY; Speech To Text software)
Learn to write in shorthand (short symbols for bigger words)
Learn to make notes in POINT FORM (helped me).

Do you have:
-other expressive problems?
-speech problems?
-Verbally?

I'd need more info to give you more direction. :)

Or is this a problem:
-"saying how what you think?"
-"saying how you feel?"

ah09087
06-12-07, 03:42 PM
Do you have:
-other expressive problems?
-speech problems?
-Verbally?
Could you expand on this?I'm not sure if I know what you mean.:o

auntchris
06-12-07, 09:32 PM
I definatly have problems putting thought into words and on paper or even speaking them grammically correct.

When I began college , the counsellor and I decided one of my accommoadation would be to use a computer for essay test. It would take me forever to get my thoughts out if I had to use the blue book and write it out by hand.

~Ødd~Scr~θθball
10-08-07, 11:46 AM
Verbal expression is much harder for me even though I have an excellent vocabulary and my grammar is good I find when I'm talking -my mind moves so quickly I lose my train of thought and pause so-o-o many times people tend to tune me out! Thinking before I speak doesn't help either and coupled with my myopic stare and uttering uh-h-h-h, as I try to organize my thoughts~a by~product of Sensory Overload gives others the wrong impression!! :eek: :faint:
Writing is so-o-o-o much easier for me but I expect perfection from myself and often rewrite and rewrite,and am never quite satisfied with my words or the way I've expressed my thoughts. A~a~a~a~augh!!!!!
If only there was some kind of brain to computer link~up that could write and clarify my thoughts in to some sort of organized pattern!!! :rolleyes:
Computer Gurus~ a future possibility or beyond the Outer~Limits!!!??? :rolleyes: :D
:rolleyes: :eek: :faint: :D

klg117
10-26-07, 12:55 AM
please delete

~boots~
10-26-07, 01:05 AM
I understand. My problem is and let's say for example here at the forums, I know that I'm intelligent and I can even be involved in an intellectual discussion, but only in my mind, I mean I understand a lot, but I just cannot verbalize it. I guess that is the same as writing here.

It really gets me down because I want to respond and be understood and all that and I have so much to say!! (I'm sure many of you can relate) But it just doesn't come right away. It's that thought process that is short circuiting. Grrrr:mad:

me too :(

but I guess that's obvious by my usually short, simple posts ;-)

QueensU_girl
10-26-07, 01:18 AM
There are two modes of expressive and two modes of receptive.

Expressive = spoken and written
Receptive = auditory and reading

It is common for ADDers to do well with Spoken and poorly with Written, in terms of Expressive. We tend to do poorly with Auditory and Reading (Receptive) input too. (These poor areas have to do with working memory issues.)

Skully
10-26-07, 08:34 PM
I have this problem every day. I know what I want to say but just can't seem to say it the way I am thinking it. It really gets to me. I think it is a combo of my ADHD and LD. Wish it were easier.