View Full Version : Me again, Adderall question this time

kingsley002000
09-23-08, 06:55 PM
what are my chances on being prescribed adderall if I request for it when I see the psych? Is it still generally difficult to get placed on this med?

I have been obsessed about trying it out in hope it will help my symptoms for a very long time... the journey continues (I'm in UK by the way)

Can'tregister
09-24-08, 05:40 AM
It is available in the UK privately but is expensive . Doctors at the Priory prescribed it and its available apparently from a chemist near Marble Arch.

Check this post ;

http://aadduk.proboards85.com/index.cgi?board=medications&action=display&thread=31

columbo
09-24-08, 07:32 AM
Adderall is not easy to get hold of, but Dexedrine is. Dexedrine is not exactly the same, but it is what Adderall is based on. The disadvantages on Dexedrine are that you have to take it two or three times a day, which is impractical for people with ADHD who are at risk of forgetting to take it.

Many Doctors do not like giving out Dexedrine because of the potential for abuse.

But if methylphenidate has been tried and has not worked, it should be the next choice, because it does not take a long time to see whether on not it will be effective.

Don't dismiss Venlafaxine outright if you haven't tried it, as it is reported to help some people with their ADHD symptoms because of its effect on Noradrenaline, and it takes several weeks for the effect to be felt. But it is worth pointing out to your doctor that Bupropion or Reboxetine are also well known to be effective for treating both depression and ADHD symptoms, so if he/she is insistant on giving you an antidepressant, ask if there is any reason why giving you one of those would be a problem. If it makes you tired or if you have too many other side effects, simply tell the you are not happy with it. It is entirely reasonable to refuse Venlafaxine if you believe something else would be more appropriate for you. After all, it is your own body and it is only fair that you get a say as to what goes in it!

NICE have issued guidelines today that spell out what treatment should be available to Adults with ADHD. Point your doctor towards these guidelines as they clear up many misunderstandings.

kingsley002000
09-25-08, 03:03 AM
I tried the venlaxafine for 6 or 7 weeks before i stopped taking it recently. i did notice some improvements in my memory, confidence and functioning initially but after the 5 week i began feeling heavily depressed and anxious. i could cope with these problems a lot better when i was taking my herbal supplements, so decided to go back to them. my main problem is handling my memory and awareness at the moment. the other things that come with this disorder plague my life as well but we learn to tolerate some stuff and get on with it dont we?

kingsley002000
09-25-08, 03:12 AM
It is available in the UK privately but is expensive . Doctors at the Priory prescribed it and its available apparently from a chemist near Marble Arch.

Check this post ;

http://aadduk.proboards85.com/index.cgi?board=medications&action=display&thread=31

so does this mean i wont be able to get it on nhs?

Can'tregister
09-25-08, 04:32 AM
so does this mean i wont be able to get it on nhs?

I would be very surprised if you did . Its expensive , unlicensed and not mentioned at all in the new Nice guidelines . I think Shire are hoping to introduce a new formulation of Adderal to the US and then maybe into Europe in a few years time but are dealing with the marketing of Vyvanse currently . Check out phenylalanine ( its a precursor ) and previous posts of mine describing how combined with reboxetine it had an effect that might be similar to some peoples experience of Adderal however I had to stop because of a high blood pressure reading ,

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=638385#post638385

For those who are inattentive/ADD and are thinking that they might benefit from an Adderall type kick in the pants but can't afford or get hold of it you could look at the supplements tyrosine or phenylalanine . They are precursors of dopamine and noradrenaline . I tried 1000 mg phenylalanine for about 10 months in combination with reboxetine and found it to be both energising and helping my concentration but I had to stop following a rather high blood pressure reading that was probably induced by my being anxious at being possibly late for my doctors appointment . On its own the phenylalanine also made me anxious much of the time .

So if you do try it be cautious and monitor your blood pressure.

kingsley002000
09-25-08, 01:33 PM
thanks for the reply. I'm guessing now the only realistic option is to go private (which i can't afford to do).

Has anybody had any positive experiences whith private Psychs whom they can recommend?