View Full Version : Inventions for ADDers

JollyBadger
09-26-08, 12:44 PM
This is a "just for fun" topic - but what invention would you LOVE to see to make household chores more stimulating for ADDers.

For me: a way to make folding laundry (and putting it all away, instead of just leaving it in folded stacks in the middle of my living room, or on the bed) interesting.

The papasan chair in my living room has become the unofficial clean-laundry basket. That's the nice thing about living alone, though. . .no one complains. :cool:

~Audrey

justcallmedorie
09-26-08, 12:48 PM
Rosie the Robot to do it all for me. :p

JollyBadger
09-26-08, 12:55 PM
Oh -- and a "riding" floor mop and vacuum cleaner. That can do stairs, too. Yeee-haw!!

Tanuki
09-26-08, 01:10 PM
A maid. :p

I already have a Roomba, which is hours of entertainment! Especially in the beginning when the dogs went ape***** at it... :rolleyes:

Azkary
09-26-08, 02:03 PM
A talking electronic agenda with a snooze button...

JollyBadger
09-26-08, 05:03 PM
A maid. :p

I already have a Roomba, which is hours of entertainment! Especially in the beginning when the dogs went ape***** at it... :rolleyes:

LOL about the Roomba vs Dogs. I used to have a Rottweiler that always wanted to play-pounce my upright vacuum. A Roomba would be "bite size" for him. :D

DesertDave
09-29-08, 01:16 AM
I have a Roomba, too. It was supposed to save me time. But I end up following the thing around to see what it's going to do. I'd be much further ahead to just get the vacuum out and do it the old-fashioned way. But that's not very stimulating. lol

I'm better about it than I used to be, but it's still amusing to watch.

My cat isn't nearly as amused as I am. She's not terrified of it, but isn't sure what to think about it. Mostly she just goes to another room.

If anyone is considering one, here's my opinion. It works fairly well on standard carpet. It does not do well on throw rugs or the rug in front of the kitchen sink. It does not do well on saltillo tile, which are hand-made and quite inconsistent. And it doesn't do corners -- it's round. It will eat power, computer, and telephone cords if they're not tucked away tightly.

Laine84
10-19-08, 12:13 PM
For me: a way to make folding laundry (and putting it all away, instead of just leaving it in folded stacks in the middle of my living room, or on the bed) interesting.

The papasan chair in my living room has become the unofficial clean-laundry basket. That's the nice thing about living alone, though. . .no one complains. :cool:

~Audrey

Heeheee Audrey! I have exactly the same scenario occurring in my living room right now! The mound is so huge right now I do not know where to begin. :( Every once in a while I have to get rid of it because someone is coming over! Oh boy.... I need some organization!

JollyBadger
10-19-08, 10:57 PM
Heeheee Audrey! I have exactly the same scenario occurring in my living room right now! The mound is so huge right now I do not know where to begin. :( Every once in a while I have to get rid of it because someone is coming over! Oh boy.... I need some organization!

My laundry pile takes on a life of its own, and has evolved to become migratory. . .it moves from one chair to another. . .sometimes expands to the nearby bench. . .occasionally it migrates all the way up to the bedroom, at which point it MIGHT lose some of its mass when I need to fish out a clean towel or a pair of socks. . .

whirlygirl
10-23-08, 10:49 AM
Oh -- and a "riding" floor mop and vacuum cleaner. That can do stairs, too. Yeee-haw!!

LOL! I want one more than anything! That would be the best on my oh-so dusty 2 story spiral staircase! I might need a scooter size to manage my little house tho.

whirlygirl
10-23-08, 10:52 AM
How about a portable time machine that would sort and send things back to where they were before I used them? Especially useful for the kids toys.

runinl8
10-23-08, 11:34 AM
If I could have something that would do all the cooking for me. That would be a big stress reliever.

lostmykeys
10-28-08, 12:24 AM
My laundry pile takes on a life of its own, and has evolved to become migratory. . .it moves from one chair to another. . .sometimes expands to the nearby bench. . .occasionally it migrates all the way up to the bedroom, at which point it MIGHT lose some of its mass when I need to fish out a clean towel or a pair of socks. . .

THANK YOU!! Me, too. My laundry pill migrated across two chairs today, onto the bed, then onto our dresser. I have a big bag full of sock, which a lot of them are not matching.

addgirrrl
11-01-08, 12:55 PM
I just found this site and signed on and I'm already loving it. I always thought I was alone in how I felt. I CANNOT clean. No matter what. My husband and I have had vicious fights over it in the past but he's finally learning to accept it. Speaking of the laundry though, I do the exact same thing. I love to put it in the washing machine and dryer and play with the static electricity when it comes out of the dryer but I cannot even force myself to fold it and put it away. I want to come out of my skin just thinking about having to stand there and fold and put it away. I'm just learning about this disorder (is that a correct term?) so I'm wondering why that is (the laundry thing?)

6310Z
11-21-08, 04:09 PM
It's an interesting question and I'd have to say that the invention (actually two inventions based on similar technology) I'd like to make ADD life easier would be a transporter and a replicator. Now... my room is a mess and the transporter would be great because I could just transport everything into space. When I needed that particular item again... say a clean pair of underwear I could just use the replicator to make me a nice new pair.

Following the same thread, traffic stresses me out tremendously so it would be great to have a transporter in my car... I could just set it to transport anything in front of me to the shoulder of the road thus creating a clear path... or umm... I could just hop in my transporter and transport myself to wherever I need to go. Yeah... maybe that's a better idea.

Yeah.... I'm a geek.

Taking that even further on the sci-fi thread, I have a theory that the events on the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica are going to be revealed to be ALL in Baltar's head. When you think about it, it makes sense as it's suspected that some pretty brilliant people such as Einstein had ADD. When you look at the plot line Baltar must have some pretty severe ADD... I mean really, a hot robot that has sex which only he can see? That's ADD. LOL The season finale is going to reveal that humanity has been fine all along and the final scene is Baltar returning to his apartment after having been to an appt. with his doc to check up on his Adderall prescription.

Cheers, Joe

HorseMad
12-13-08, 12:22 PM

~Audrey
:D:D:D:DCan I have one please?? It's the same in my house too, have asked for a laundry basket for Xmas so fingers crossed that will at least encourage me to dump it in the bedroom.... means I can use the chair as a chair again.

Also what about a version that puts away washing up too?

A machine that turns your internet off until you've done the various very important tasks you were meant to do about 3hours ago but have managed to put off to the best of your ability.:D

stef
12-14-08, 11:59 AM
THANK YOU!! Me, too. My laundry pill migrated across two chairs today, onto the bed, then onto our dresser. I have a big bag full of sock, which a lot of them are not matching.

I know it's like amoebas splitting or something! my clothes pile divided itself and has spilled over this big box with a toy I got for a nephew 3 weeks ago. It also likes the ironing board a lot.

RiverIsSerenity
12-14-08, 05:39 PM
Now... my room is a mess and the transporter would be great because I could just transport everything into space. When I needed that particular item again... say a clean pair of underwear I could just use the replicator to make me a nice new pair.
Cheers, Joe

Live long and prosper, Joe. I'm always talking about needing a transporter... now I'll want a replicator too!