View Full Version : Weird symptoms you see alongside ADD?

The ADHD Fan
09-30-08, 04:37 AM
I've always been interested in the various symptoms and disorders that are found alongside ADD or ADHD (comorbids).

Some, such as depression are inherently intuitive, but others, such as restless legs syndrome, enuresis (bedwetting), dysgraphia (poor handwriting), are not so obvious.

Anyone have any "strange" symptoms they see alongside their ADD or ADHD that they would like to share or investigate?

Any thoughts as to why they are seen alongside ADD/ADHD?

Driver
09-30-08, 04:50 AM

Because those who just have the weird symptoms, but without a major psychological condition, or a mental disorder, do not see a shrink about them.

The ADHD Fan
09-30-08, 06:14 AM
Here's something I found (http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=1557471#id297396)on the relative freqency of comorbid symptoms to ADHD (scan down to the "ADHD and Comorbidity" section of the site).

Depression occurs in up to 45% of ADHD individuals (I had no idea it was that high), anxiety disorders up to 25%. Overall, it refers to up to 75% of ADHD'ers possibly having some other accompanying comorbid disorder.

Is it any wonder that finding a treatment plan that fits can be so difficult? It also says that conventional stimulant treatment can fail in up to 50% of the individuals with ADHD.

Check this out (http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=1557471#id297396) if you're interested in the comorbid disorders to ADHD (http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=1557471#id297396).

Grey Kameleon
10-07-08, 01:28 AM
Synesthesia. I see music and tend to form really weird associations between certain ovjects or concepts. This, along with a mild speech delay, led me to believe I was autistic. It doesn't seem common among ADD-ers.

I'm probably dysgraphic. It's painful for me to write with a pen. A pencil is usually out of the question.

I have control issues like OCPD. I also lack internal awareness to a degree characteristic of Alexithymia.

Skaylon
10-17-08, 08:01 AM
Dysgraphia

It's proven that the things that makes ADD is very close to the that makes Dysgraphia (wherever they are in the brain), like neighbours. A doctor told me that. And the Dysgraphia is usually caused by Enlos Danlos (Or worse Enlos syndromes) syndrome. I got both ADD and Dysgraphia. The enlos means that you have less (Dont know the word in English but i try to explain it) "More elastic material" than "the material that keeps your hand steady" in your wrists (both hand and footwrists). To compensate for that, you must use your much more than usual and concentrate much harder. Wich leads to tireness in both body and brain.
You can test if you got some kind of Enlos Danlos by trying to touch your wrist with the thumb, you can of course use the other hand to push the thumb down. There is help for this tough, you can buy gloves that are attached to the wrists and helps to keep it up, just ask your local doctor.

I have toalked with some people on Forums.
And from what i have seen, people with ADD usually have an abnormal amount of Friends, as i do. And i have also noticed that people with ADD don't freeze as often as others, i myself wear a T-shirt and a shirt now and everyone thinks i am insane, but the truth is that i am only cold around my arms, i am almost sweety when i go out. Autumn in Sweden is pretty cold, around -1 - +1 degrees. Theres more people that are like this.

sarek
10-17-08, 01:41 PM
And i have also noticed that people with ADD don't freeze as often as others, i myself wear a T-shirt and a shirt now and everyone thinks i am insane, but the truth is that i am only cold around my arms, i am almost sweety when i go out. Autumn in Sweden is pretty cold, around -1 - +1 degrees. Theres more people that are like this.

Another surprise. I always thought that was just one of my own personal quirks. I almost always dress way too light for the weather or don't take a coat with me when the weather calls for it and I get hot real quickly. It's only when its windy or when there is a draft inside that I tend to get cold. I am a little guy after all.

Contrapunctus
10-17-08, 02:30 PM
Synesthesia is also something I have experienced, however instead of seeing music, I tend to "taste" music. I get this from certain intervals and key signatures, for example, a perfect fifth starting on F sharp/G flat produces a sort of metalic taste in my mouth. I don't think this has much to do with ADHD, however only other person that I have met who has absolute pitch also has ADHD, and has a similar experience in regards to synethesia. I have never exhibited symptoms of autism...

In regards to handwriting, my issue is that I write extremely "hard", in that I literally press down very hard when I write. I cannot use pencil lead smaller than .7 for this very reason. Because I have been writing in this fashion my whole life, my forearm muscles are quite large as I tend to flex my forearm when I write.

My writing can vary to relatively legible to entirely illegible. When I write music, I write a score for myself that is generally difficult for many people to read, then I make another more legible copy for the instrumentalists. Lately, I have been trying to score on the computer more, but it is still far quicker for me to write scores by hand...

My handwriting improves dramatically when on amphetamines, but it also seems to slow down my writing speed...

J.S Bach has some scores that can get messy. The one below is actually quite clear, some of his other manuscripts are more confusing...

http://www.njn.net/artsculture/starts/season07-08/images/2603/2603scheidelibraryscore.jpg
^^^The master at work!

stef
10-17-08, 06:44 PM
I CAN'T BELEIVE IT! I also have taste synesthesia! (for words) - few believe me. One of my favorite daydreaming subjects - what taste does such & such a word have? and does it taste the same in French? (not always!) Apparently this is quite rare, most people w/ synesthesia see the alphabet or music in colors.
I thought it was music sometimes but it's just the song titles. for example we played "moonlight serenade" (glen miller) and the word serenade tastes like a kind of lemon sorbet I had once. -look I have GOT to get to bed almost 1:00 am here. send message if you want to discuss further...

lostranslation
10-17-08, 07:49 PM
You can test if you got some kind of Enlos Danlos by trying to touch your wrist with the thumb

Do you mean how close you can get your thumb to your wrist? Even when pushing it with my other hand it's still a good 4 inches away. My handwriting has always been a mess, unless I write really small- like the charting I used to do as a dental assistant. I can't write fast and be able to decipher it later.

cibolagirl
10-17-08, 08:49 PM
I can't stand noise, hyperacusis, and am not great on being touched...I tried to get a massage once...I almost went through the roof! In fact I have many tactile sensory problems. I can't read the newspaper because I can't stand the feel. If I purchase something breakable at the store and they wrap it in newsprint I have to look the other way.
I have always hallucinated. I think I see something beautiful and complex but am disappointed when I look closer and find it is nothing much at all. I see people and faces a lot but it is not a paraniod thing.

Skaylon
10-17-08, 09:12 PM
Do you mean how close you can get your thumb to your wrist? Even when pushing it with my other hand it's still a good 4 inches away. My handwriting has always been a mess, unless I write really small- like the charting I used to do as a dental assistant. I can't write fast and be able to decipher it later.

I can upload a picture later, i can touch my wrist when i do it. But really, you should try to ask your doctor. Enlos Danlos is not rare at all, its very common actually.

Zerbinetta
10-21-08, 05:45 AM
The temperature thing is something I've seen in my nan, my mum and now myself. At the first hint of spring - say, a crisp day in mid-February - my mum would fling open the French windows and let the "fresh air" in, telling the rest of the family to just put on a jumper or something. I always put it down to her obesity (she started binge eating after she had to stop smoking) and her level of physical activity, but she tells me stories about her own mum doing the same thing when she was younger, and my nan is skinny as all get-out. I've decided I get the hyperactivity from her side of the family, and the nerves from my dad's. My own friends usually sit around in their coats for a bit when they come over, until I've sufficiently heated the room for them.

I've been told I have gorgeous handwriting myself, but I'm definitely seeing dysgraphia in some of the kids I tutor. Does medication help with that?

Also, touch has made me see colours in the past, but I'm not sure whether that qualifies as synaesthesia or just really good sex.

sarey
10-21-08, 11:28 AM
I'm actually always cold all the time LOL
I'm either cold or hot.
My hands/feet especially.

But it's weird, 'cause usually my body is fine, it's just the arms/hands/fingers/feet/toes.

Poor circulation LOL.

I have a stutter/speak too fast/get stuck, but that may be part of the ADHD, speaking too fast...

oznoGrD
10-25-08, 02:56 AM
In terms of weird symptoms along with ADD I am dyslexic. Basically I'm a slow reader and often single symbols as well as syllables get mixed up. This turns out to be true for all four languages I know in varying degrees. Another weird symptom was having a very vivid and overactive imagination when i was a child, and having active memories from when i was still crawling. Last, but not least i have had lucid dreams for as long as i can remember.

sarey
10-28-08, 02:02 AM
I have a very vivid and overactive imagination, now and when I was a child too.

pbsc7
10-28-08, 03:58 AM
I see letters of the alphabet, as well as numbers, as having different colors.

I'm dyslexic.

I suffer from depression.

I have panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and PTSD.

meadd823
10-28-08, 05:42 AM
Enlos Danlos is not rare at all, its very common actually.

I had to look it up myself

What is EDS? (http://www.ehlers-danlos.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3&Itemid=5)

Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS) is a heterogeneous group of heritable disorders of connective tissue, characterised by skin extensibility, joint hypermobility and tissue fragility. There are different types of EDS and these were reclassified into six major types in 1997 1 . They are classified according to signs and symptoms with each type running true in a family thus an individual with one type will not have a child with a different type.

EDS is known to affect both males and females of all races and ethnic backgrounds. The exact incidence is not known, but is estimated at 1 in 5000, however, it may be more common
{End Quote}

SB_UK
10-28-08, 06:11 PM
people with ADD don't freeze as often as othersI overheat - stream sweat especially when exercising or thinking -
the following day I have layers of crystallized salt in my formerly drenched exercise clothing

- maybe more noticeable though because I exercise in black.

stef
10-28-08, 06:21 PM
I don't have much "imagination" ie storytelling but i have vivid memories from childhood back to I'm sure 3 yrs old, and "picture" scenarios vividly.
- ooh, vivid, now that tastes like vinegar and cake better! cool.

Prusilusken
10-28-08, 07:56 PM
I don't know if it has anything to do with my ADD, but I don't freeze very often, and once in my teens I went barefooted in- and out doors for 18 months in a row.
When I moved to the city and winter came there, I had to put shoes back on, but only bc of the salt from the roads (ruined my feet like it does a dog's ;)).
When I lived in the countryside the year before, it wasn't a problem.
But like I said, I don't know if it's an ADD thing.

I have Enlos Danlos as well.

I almost never get physically ill, I seem to have a very good immune system, but it may be pure coincidence.

My handwriting is pretty nice as long as I practice it and the style is new to me. When I stop drawing the letters and start writing, that's where it seems to mess up.
But all in all, my handwriting is fine, nothing special about it.

I am pretty sensitive to sounds.
I think that may very well be related to my ADD.

SB_UK
10-29-08, 06:59 AM
I don't know if it's an ADD thing.

It's an ADD thing.

Hot / Cold is yet another of the dualities which characterize the evolution of life -
- if we scan through historical texts we observe a pattern of worship of the sun and moon -

hot and cold -

- imagine these as two alternating forces shifting AC electrical current from one side to another -
- imagine the movement of waves between high and low tide to assist thiat picture
(as you know - movement of the tides is a side-effect of the association between Earth and moon) -

- imagine the 'first this way and then that' motion of the waves as representative of the process of transduction of energy from celestial bodies into usable form by structures upon planet Earth.

Next - connect the bipolar nature of the tides -
high and low -

- with the bipolar nature of many structures upon which we profer understanding

- notably the bipolar mind -

and as we begin to see the connection -

- we begin to understand how life on Earth emerged.

Hot / Cold is representative of an increase in the acid / alkali
balance of man and woman -
with evolution
the pH range of (man - woman) has increased -

the male-female duality becomes a stronger chemical reaction -
as pH increases -

greater heat is produced -
- as we become

more
better

- a stronger life force -
greater will to live.

-*-

Simplifying all of the above -
imagine that evolution makes a more powerful engine and that the more powerful engine produces more heat.

However
- that the engine requires a more powerful reaction of more concentrated A and more concentrated B -
in order to work (to produce more energy) -
with heat as the outcome.

The effect of
more concentrated A + more concentrated B -> generation of more energy and generation of more heat as side-effect

However - the effect of increasing the concentration of the precursor reactants (A and B) prior to reaction -
also
serving to alter the basal metabolic rates of
REACTANT 1 -> individual (more concentrated A)
REACTANT 2 -> individual (more concentrated B)
(observable body temperature changes) in pre-duality duals
in pre-duality duals in (mental) development (nurture)
(a man and woman developing their minds prior to meeting one another)

and

developing an association or 'intimately converged web' which will serve to connect the two together
as one.
more concentrated A + more concentrated B -> generation of more energy and generation of more heat as side-effect

SB_UK
10-29-08, 07:09 AM
I am pretty sensitive to sounds.
I think that may very well be related to my ADD.

yes

also -

the better machine will have heightened sensitivity to stimuli -
-> reality more real.

Think of it as the human equivalent of
since
power = VI
- of increased power of a machine (man) being possible through increasing the current flowing through our CNS.

Increased current flowing within context of man
- representing the experiential perspective of increased sensitivity
to neuronal signal eliciting stimuli
such as sound.

Do you find yourself being startled more easily than most?
Do you feel that you've a heightened sense of pain relative to other people?

El Panzon Feo
10-29-08, 08:58 AM
I also "run hot" so to speak, sweating easily and often.....it's rather embarrassing as my work requires physical exertion to a large degree, but within businesses or public buildings, or offices and such, so there I am soaked like I've gone on a marathon run after all I've do is work up abouve a drop ceiling for 5 minutes...
I've never tasted or seen letters or any of that, but do any of you have a problem with not knowing which way to go when you're walking and about to bump into an oncoming person? You know, I guess they must go to your left first, and then you also go to your left and "oops", so you go to your right, but they've already gone that way, so "err..." and then you figure you'll try left again only to find....."Oh, we're dancing!" "heheh...um...sorry.....excuse me." :confused: I hate this, it's very embarrassing. :mad: Oh, yeah, my handwriting is very child-like and scrawly, and constantly changing levels of legibiliy as well.

Lunacie
10-29-08, 10:00 AM
I haven't had a formal diagnosis, even of the ADHD, although there is no doubt in my mind - and my daughter has many of the same issues and one granddaughter has been diagnosed with ADHD (the other granddaughter has been diagnosed with Autism).

I believe I have dysgraphia and discalculia, have spent many years in a very depressed state (better now), hyperacusis. In fact I'm overly sensitive to many things, noise/sound and light, also to touch/texture. I am very picky about the clothing I wear, especially the shoes.

I seem to be forgetting something else...

SB_UK
10-30-08, 05:38 PM
In fact I'm overly sensitive to many things, noise/sound and
light,
also to touch/texture.
I am very picky about the clothing I wear,
especially the shoes.

me2 2all 5

The ADHD Fan
12-01-08, 11:19 PM
It's amazing how many of us have some sort of synesthesia thing going on where we integrate colors, numbers, sights, sounds, and smells. I know that a number of individuals with ADHD also have some sort of processing disorder (such as auditory processing troubles). I wonder if that's because these senses are not isolated.

Think about the way we read and write. Most of us essentially "speak" the words to ourselves with our eyes as we read or write. We're really using the wrong senses, aren't we. I've also been told that deaf people can often read faster than individuals with proper hearing, since they don't "speak" the words to themselves, which can slow down the uptake process.

I wonder if this integration of senses further complicates the matter of reading, resulting in agonizingly long reading times.

Some great posts, thanks for all the insights and personal experiences. Any others?

xraylady33
12-02-08, 10:20 AM
Extreme visualization...EXTREME..
I am capable of remembering the smallest, detail...color, size, shape..smell...
I am able to recall ridiculous facts about the most ridiculous situations..yet when it comes to pathology I must read and reread.

Yet, when diagnosing, the smallest tiniest cancer in the Breast...I am your girl!
I never related it to ADD, but I think it may be. I have been called to other hospitals, just to examine their Mammography Department....OH MY!
What a revelation...!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But...this can also work the opposite, as I never forget a face...a hurtful moment..plus I remember what you wore...10 years ago to the day...
MUST BE ALL THE RADIATION!
HA....

SB_UK
12-02-08, 11:42 AM
Extreme visualization...EXTREME..
I am capable of remembering the smallest, detail...color, size, shape..smell...
I am able to recall ridiculous facts about the most ridiculous situations..yet when it comes to pathology I must read and reread.

Yet, when diagnosing, the smallest tiniest cancer in the Breast...I am your girl!
I never related it to ADD, but I think it may be. I have been called to other hospitals, just to examine their Mammography Department....OH MY!
What a revelation...!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But...this can also work the opposite, as I never forget a face...a hurtful moment..plus I remember what you wore...10 years ago to the day...
MUST BE ALL THE RADIATION!
HA....

just out of interest -
do you have a husband or wife who likes music or has sensitive hearing ?

I know pink, lady:p and stuff ... .. but you never do know these days ... ...

ADXP
12-02-08, 12:02 PM
I've always been interested in the various symptoms and disorders that are found alongside ADD or ADHD (comorbids).

Some, such as depression are inherently intuitive, but others, such as restless legs syndrome, enuresis (bedwetting), dysgraphia (poor handwriting), are not so obvious.

Anyone have any "strange" symptoms they see alongside their ADD or ADHD that they would like to share or investigate?

1. I read books ,newspapers anything printed backwards,faster than ordinary.
2. I write such as letters slanted ,not horizontal not vertical
3. I prefer my PC slanted the same way.
4. I am bored with movies , if something I am curious about I play it backwards from the end to the beginning.
5. my notebooks also starts from the back to the front
6. I read not across but in circles
7. I have a need to know why to alot of questions.

They are definitely strange things for me compare to others. Why they are, idk.

SB_UK
12-02-08, 03:36 PM
1. backwards
2. slanted
4. backwards
5. from the back to the front
6. circles

~*~

7. I have a need to know why to alot of questions.

Our local computer store warehouse was re-fitted recently (4 weeks of hell without church) -
I noticed that I wandered haphazardly around all of the aisles -
maybe 5 times around the store from aisle to other aisle
up, down, left, right, north, backwards

- at the end though I noticed that I'd somehow worked out how to think of any number of items

case, cooling fan, book, micro SD card, EEE -
and work out the optimal route from where-ever I was to all of those

didn't bother though -

just left

(my job was done)

make any sense?
linear perspective down a line
->- to ->-
non-linear perspectives balanced upon a sphere

~Ødd~Scr~θθball
12-03-08, 01:02 AM
I have: Dyscalculia: I cannot judge speed or distance, and the words used to denote those concepts of miles, feet, diameter, are absolutely meaningless. I attribute it to being similar to color blindness and trying to explain the color red! I automatically transpose Right and Left. I know the difference between the two but when someone says for instance: "Look on the right~hand side of the drawer, I think in terms of the dresser's right side and not the side facing me parallel to my right hand!
I also have Restless Leg Syndrome,Visual problems, Sensory Integration Disorder with some processing problems and have Sooper sensitive ears to touch. I literally pass out if certain parts are touched. Days of the week have colors and some words can trigger certain smells even though my sense of smell is not too good! I have an excellent memory for details and can remember outfits and shoes I wore when I was around 3 or 4 years old and clothes I wore to school!

All this I know adds up to one Scrooey person? LOL!!! :D

:):):D:cool:;):cool:;):cool::D:):)

ADXP
12-06-08, 09:22 PM
This thread interest me the most. Yesterday I found out another strange thing about my behaviour. I was doing my chart for daily routine. The first one is square & a round clock to represent the time what to do.

Then I copy it & make it bigger so I can see it across the room. As I was charting the chores I find myself writing so bizarre in a round paper than the square one. I did not notice it I was done. I made two of them ,my morning chores the other is the PM. I hold both up & there it is.

Imagine a clock, inside is a smaller clock. Then the space in between the two circumference I wrote like this.

T
A
S
K
TIME
B
R
E
A
K
FAST
All of the words somehow come out this way.

I found this amazing b/c this is how eaxactly I write with my hands .And when I read the book is always slanted like at 3:oo oclock position.
When I have that urge to find out the end ,my mind will scan the book in circles like a clock. This happens only when the subject is extremely interesting to me.

I really wish that we go back to the Mayan alphabet. The hieroglyphs as I see it fits the mindset of most ADD's. Check it out.

stef
12-07-08, 12:47 PM
I automatically transpose Right and Left. I know the difference between the two but when someone says for instance: "Look on the right~hand side of the drawer, I think in terms of the dresser's right side and not the side facing me parallel to my right hand!
I have an excellent memory for details and can remember outfits and shoes I wore when I was around 3 or 4 years old and clothes I wore to school!

Me too! wow

SB_UK
12-07-08, 05:06 PM
Me too! wow

my wife too :-)

alexstr
12-08-08, 09:53 PM
Me three! I remember as a kid not knowing the difference between right and left, between a city and a state, between a lake and a river.

The educational system obviously did a goob job on me, though, because I'm pretty confident in all of these things now. Still, when I'm extremely tired (or drunk), I tend to say "California is the best country I've ever been too!"

ginniebean
12-10-08, 11:57 AM
I cannot judge speed or distance which makes me very slow in the left turn lane and when people honk it makes me anxious and speedy.

I can't understand directions for left and right, I have to think about it then I shake my right hand as if writing with something to know which hand is which. I simply cannot figure it out without the visual cue.

I have terrible handwriting and was told that I should write lots of little circles but those always end up looking terrible too.

Certain colours are repulsive to me. I get a physical reaction. Like mustard. some browns, some greens and most blues. Whereas I find lemon yellow, orange, and various sherbert colours delightful. I've always used to dress in really vivid colours but as I've gotten older, it's not that I'm not drawn to these colours I just don't want to stand out as much. I didn't like standing out when I was younger but I kept buying the bright colours without thinking of the consequences of wearing them.

Too much noise overstimulates me.

Crowds as well, (thank goodness I don't live in china)

My dreams are in colour. (don't know if that's add related)

Ebzy
12-11-08, 11:19 AM
I have horrible writing, does anyone else hold their pen different to everyone else? I always have and I can't write any other way, teachers tried to change it, but they gave up because, although I didn't have the best writing, I could draw. Would this be related?

I'm sensitive to cold and I have restless leg syndrome too.

Ebzy
12-11-08, 11:22 AM
One more thing i'd like to add. When I was younger I use to talk to animals and imagine they'd talk back to me, they understood me. Or I'd pretend to be their mother or something.

ForGiven
12-12-08, 01:52 PM
I have a very vivid and overactive imagination, now and when I was a child too.

Me too!

ADXP
12-13-08, 04:24 PM
1. Answering a question with
another question.

2. Can't be serious at all.

3. Being serious is too stressful.

4. Bored with serious matters,like funeral. or dead people.

SB_UK
12-13-08, 05:50 PM
1. Answering a question with
another question.

2. Can't be serious at all.

3. Being serious is too stressful.

4. Bored with serious matters,like funeral. or dead people.

aye!

Others need to change their minds of their own volition

2. 3. 4.
How can a species which behaves so ridiculously ?
earnestly
expect decent people to be serious -

- when all deeply-seated mistaken sincerity for biased opinion
seems to bring
is war.

- make fun of everything and everyone
~until~
people begin to see that they're on the same planet as everybody else -
and no matter how important they feel their task -

- it isn't -

- identifying what is important -
is
all important -

- although another can explain what is important
- it's impossible for another to understand unless it's seen actually by and for themselves

and

hence

eyes - which cannot see

ADXP
12-13-08, 08:31 PM
aye!

Others need to change their minds of their own volition

2. 3. 4.
How can a species which behaves so ridiculously ?
earnestly
expect decent people to be serious -

- when all deeply-seated mistaken sincerity for biased opinion
seems to bring
is war.

- make fun of everything and everyone
~until~ .

[/B][/I]

I always think that my mind needs to be tweak 360 , where it might be more appropriate for the basal ganglia on top rather than under.

As hypothesis suggested that brain hemispheres plays
a role in cognition. Well in my case ,I speculate that
where mine doesnlt seems to fit the hypothesis.
Might as well reverse the danm thing.

It helps to know that this procedure has not been explored.

The species.
is not a genetically correct ADD?

stef
12-14-08, 11:47 AM
I cannot judge speed or distance which makes me very slow in the left turn lane and when people honk it makes me anxious and speedy.

I can't understand directions for left and right, I have to think about it then I shake my right hand as if writing with something to know which hand is which. I simply cannot figure it out without the visual cue.

I have terrible handwriting and was told that I should write lots of little circles but those always end up looking terrible too.

Certain colours are repulsive to me. I get a physical reaction. Like mustard. some browns, some greens and most blues. Whereas I find lemon yellow, orange, and various sherbert colours delightful. I've always used to dress in really vivid colours but as I've gotten older, it's not that I'm not drawn to these colours I just don't want to stand out as much. I didn't like standing out when I was younger but I kept buying the bright colours without thinking of the consequences of wearing them.

Too much noise overstimulates me.

Crowds as well, (thank goodness I don't live in china)

My dreams are in colour. (don't know if that's add related)

I don't like some shades of yellow; but I can only use a yellow highlighter; I have problems with pinks & purples that make me feel a little ill; I can't write in red on a yellow legal pad (it's too much like hambugers!)
I love all shades of blue and green.
I have to think twice about left and right, and I can't give anyone directions to anything!

- there are people who DON'T dream in color?

humandefault
12-19-08, 12:26 AM
I have a theory about why ADHD people seem to have synesthesia. See, our brains are all silly and unorganized, and maybe sometimes they mix senses up. I mean, considering how I mix up all kinds of other things (words, intentions, etc) it doesn't seem that strange that music would have colors and textures a depths, and colors would have temperatures, and all kinds of other strange things.
Also, it sounds like a lot of people have a lot of symptoms similar to autism. Especially the hypersensitivity to certain stimuli. That's kinda interesting.
And lastly, I have had three doctors try to tell me I'm bipolar because of some of my ADD things that I do. Is that rare? I'm almost positive I'm not bipolar but after the third doctor, I started to wonder...
Oh! One more last thing, I feel like sleeping too much negates my Adderall... Does that happen to other people? I took MORE than usual today and I still can't seem to finish (or start, really. I've tried starting a hundred times today) doing what needs to be done.

Final P.S. I didn't know the difference between right and left until I broke my arm. Now I have a scar on my right arm, so I always know what's right to me, and I kind of have to superimpose myself on other people to figure out where THEIR right is according to where my scar would be on them...

Della2
12-19-08, 01:07 AM
I couldn't tell my right from left until I got married. Then I got divorced and had to picture a ring on my right hand to know the difference.

It's been so long now that failed me too. So I have to pretend to be holding a pen.

As I process right from left I wonder if anyone notices the searching ritual?

humandefault
12-19-08, 01:52 AM
Also, I was thinking, I think ADD writers might be more prone to overuseage of parentheses (since we always have a multitude of related-but-not-related things to say!). I know my emails have trillions of them!

SB_UK
12-19-08, 02:39 AM
unorganized
->- ultra-organized

L+R

make like Cartman :-)
(my wife uses the technique)

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:_em7ndppbDzxIM:http://www.videosticky.com/images/category/11cartman-home.jpg

over-useage
->- appropriate useage

Ebzy
12-19-08, 08:48 AM
I cannot tell right from left either, I have to put my hands up in an L shape and the one which is the right way around is left..

talitha
12-19-08, 09:57 AM
i have no concept of time (year, month, week, day or minute). i have a poor sense of direction... i usually feel as if i'm driving the opposite direction as i actually am. if there is too much going on i have to stop and tell myself what's going on... kinda like separating tasks into smaller sections (when actually dealing with completing details right). i would lose my head if it wasn't attached (along with everything else), i lose something every 5 minutes it seems. i get overwhelmed by stress and just feel like i MUST escape. to tell left from right... when i'm not facing the right direction) i have to change my body angle and slowly reach to whatever side i need to find (like when someone asks me to scratch the left side of their back - it would take me slowing down to kind of act out which side the person's left is. hmmm, what else... prolly a million others too, but i have a pretty poor memory as well.

Lola
12-19-08, 10:08 AM
Restless legs drives me insane!
I get very easily irritated by noise.
I only like even numbers or things on the right although not as bad as the even numbers thing.
I seem to be able to read people well. I look below the surface.
I have an incredible memory for numbers or licence plates but can't remember why I came in this room and got carried away on here. lol
I have a greater affinity to animals...dogs in particular. I happen to think alot of adders are animal savvy.

lovelyophelia
12-23-08, 10:18 AM
I only have ADD(which may be a symptom of something else, and not permanent- but that's another story) but I do find that I have hypergraphia. Quite often I get the urge to write or make lists... I find myself writing about absolutely nothing for hours on end. My notebooks in high school slowly turned into journals, stories, or lists. The last time I cleaned my room I threw out 10 notebooks, but there were many more that I just threw away at the end of each year with locker clean-out. Anyone else have hypergraphia with their ADD?

reesah
12-23-08, 06:45 PM
I only have ADD(which may be a symptom of something else, and not permanent- but that's another story) but I do find that I have hypergraphia. Quite often I get the urge to write or make lists... I find myself writing about absolutely nothing for hours on end. My notebooks in high school slowly turned into journals, stories, or lists. The last time I cleaned my room I threw out 10 notebooks, but there were many more that I just threw away at the end of each year with locker clean-out. Anyone else have hypergraphia with their ADD?
I write a lot. You should see my documents folder. I can't seem to help it. Some of it is useful but mostly it's just about nothing, like you said. I also tend to keep going once I get started. I'll stop now though:p

edit: Also, I have to call in to the studio to know what day it is, and whether or not I work. And, since I'm ambdextrous, I can't tell right from left and have a hard time following directions. I have to actively think about it for a minute.

Lunacie
12-23-08, 07:40 PM
Ha, so there's a name for all the lists I keep making, that keep cluttering my desk and my bedside table, that eventually get thrown away... and yet I tend for forget to take my grocery list along to the store. :o

talitha
12-23-08, 11:25 PM
I write a ton too. but I try to make it meaningful to my life and problems. it really helps me out a lot. most times it's how I find solutions or amazing insight... it's like solutions are birthed through the writting process.

Gina
12-27-08, 01:58 PM
As for Restless-Legs Syndrome, that's increasingly thought linked to dopamine.

Gina Pera

Kasha
12-29-08, 05:32 AM
I actually ended up here exploring ADD because it seems like it might be related to thoughts I have been processing about my neurology as the result of dealing with a condition called Ciguatera Fish Poisoning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciguatera_fish_poisoning). Ciguatera is a neurotoxin that appears to screw one up by (and I'm not a scientist here) changing the biochemical environment in such a way as to confuse neurons about when to fire and when not to fire. I have been having a pretty bad case of Ciguatera and have begun to suspect that I have always had neurons with more pep in them than the average bird.

Does it seem possible that a lot of the cluster of symtoms seen with ADD could be described as an excessive amount of action potential (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_potential)? In other words, how many of the common symptoms meeet the formula "Under x condition my central nervous system forgets how to shut up,"?

I have primarily found that marijuana is an excellent tx for nerve exciteability issues, an observation backed up by this article (http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2004/september22/med-marijuana-922.html). I am interested in talking to someone who understands neurology about other ways to inhibit unnecessary firing -- I have a starting hypothesis that more potassium might be the thing, and lo... potassium shortage (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47578) has been considered a possible cause of some cases of ADHD!

Thoughts???

ADXP
12-29-08, 09:36 PM
Hemiparesis.

ADXP
12-29-08, 09:39 PM
when no one gets your jokes

TygerSan
12-30-08, 12:41 PM
I don't know if I truly have ADHD. . . I might be a little too high functioning for a definitive diagnosis. Went through school with an LD diagnosis in visual processing. Needless to say, unlike most ppl here, I don't do well with visualization. I think primarily in sounds and words.

I have a lot of the sensory issues to varying degrees (don't sneak up behind me and tap me on the shoulder; I may turn around and hit you, or I may collapse on the floor:o). I also have a very highly developed startle reflex, which often makes me look like I'm doing something wrong, when all you've done is talked to me when I wasn't expecting it.

Left-right confusion: had it for a long time. Was able to teach myself b/c an old injury left scars on my right wrist; some time later I was able to just know without looking. (come to think of it, every single scar I have on my body is on my right side . . . odd)

I still haven't figured out if this particular quirk of mine is related to attentional issues, or working memory issues, but I have a very hard time holding lots of information online and manipulating it. Like doing multi-step addition problems in my head, or doing the "numbers backwards" part of the IQ tests. By the time I start thinking about reversing the numbers, they've disappeared from my brain. This lack of processing power makes me slower than average at sequencing and logic problems. I can't play chess very well at all, or minesweeper; those games make my head hurt. Soduku, too, once you get beyond the very basics. I think if the logic weren't spatial, I'd do a lot better.

I'm not synaesthetic. Synaesthesia is one of those traits which IMHO tend to be correlated with some form of neuro-atypicality, be it autism, ADHD, OCD, whatever.

TygerSan
12-30-08, 12:44 PM
Hemiparesis.

Left sided hemiparesis? Just curious as ADHD-like symptoms are associated with damage to the right hemisphere.

Have you heard about non-verbal learning disorders? They're also strongly associated with right-hemisphere dysfunction.

www.nldontheweb.org has basic info. Symptoms often overlap quite a bit with ADHD.

I only mention it b/c I'm kind of NLDish myself.

SB_UK
12-30-08, 04:22 PM
I don't know if I truly have ADHD. . . I might be a little too high functioning for a definitive diagnosis. Went through school with an LD diagnosis in visual processing. Needless to say, unlike most ppl here, I don't do well with visualization. I think primarily in sounds and words.
I have a lot of the sensory issues to varying degrees (don't sneak up behind me and tap me on the shoulder; I may turn around and hit you, or I may collapse on the floor:o). I also have a very highly developed startle reflex, which often makes me look like I'm doing something wrong, when all you've done is talked to me when I wasn't expecting it.
Left-right confusion: had it for a long time. Was able to teach myself b/c an old injury left scars on my right wrist; some time later I was able to just know without looking. (come to think of it, every single scar I have on my body is on my right side . . . odd)
I still haven't figured out if this particular quirk of mine is related to attentional issues, or working memory issues, but I have a very hard time holding lots of information online and manipulating it. Like doing multi-step addition problems in my head, or doing the "numbers backwards" part of the IQ tests. By the time I start thinking about reversing the numbers, they've disappeared from my brain. This lack of processing power makes me slower than average at sequencing and logic problems. I can't play chess very well at all, or minesweeper; those games make my head hurt. Soduku, too, once you get beyond the very basics. I think if the logic weren't spatial, I'd do a lot better.
I'm not synaesthetic. Synaesthesia is one of those traits which IMHO tend to be correlated with some form of neuro-atypicality, be it autism, ADHD, OCD, whatever.

I've highlighted a section from each of your 5 paragraphs which particularly applies to my own mind.
I've described myself as 1 and 2 on ADDF previously.

SB_UK
12-31-08, 03:11 AM
... ... ... unlike most ppl here, I don't do well with visualization.

If it helps -
there appears to be two extremes of opinion offered on site -

I find that members like Xraylady and Stef report back observations which're the exact opposite of my own but importantly exactly in line with my wife.

The general idea which I'm getting at here is that when a duality forms between man and woman (mental level) -
that one individual tends towards the ears (yourself and myself) -
whereas the other towards eyes (my wife, Stef, Xraylady).

Xraylady and Stef have described synaesthesia, dreaming in colour with images -
very visual aspects to their ADD -
whereas I have no experience with imagery.

Does this kinda' duality make sense?

Yes.

Why?

Because evolution has been driven by the
day:night cycle -

I think we'll find that the day:night cycle (light, dark) -
will shortly be shown to be a kinda' bi-directional power supply

light pushing one way
and
dark pushing the other

- which operates continuously -
a kinda' neverending cycle as long as we have a sun and moon.

The moon (darkness) bathes the planet in gamma rays when it's dark -
leading to the observation that we're bathed in infra-red (on the LHS of the visible spectrum) when the sun rises and in gamma rays when the sun sets (lunar emission spectrum).

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:zaH0ETmYnROcOM:http://www.airynothing.com/high_energy_tutorial/sources/images/moon_egret.jpg

source (http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/scienceques2002/20021115.htm) - interesting paragraph

In gamma-ray light, and only there as far as we know, the Moon can be brighter than the Sun.

SB_UK
12-31-08, 03:22 AM
-source (from above)-

Thompson is an astrophysicist who studies gamma rays in the Laboratory for High Energy Astrophysics. Don't make him angry, you wouldn't like him when he's angry.
:-)

SB_UK
12-31-08, 04:06 AM
Left sided hemiparesis? Just curious as ADHD-like symptoms are associated with damage to the right hemisphere.

Have you heard about non-verbal learning disorders? They're also strongly associated with right-hemisphere dysfunction.

www.nldontheweb.org (http://www.nldontheweb.org) has basic info. Symptoms often overlap quite a bit with ADHD.

I only mention it b/c I'm kind of NLDish myself.

They get lost, forget to do homework, seem unprepared for class, have difficulty following directions, struggle with math, can't read their social studies textbook, can't write an essay, continually misunderstand both their teachers and their peers, and are often anxious in public and angry at home. Me too
- but only because tasks which others find simple
- others understand too simply.

Examples which spring to mind from 20 or 30 years ago

why does mathematics have such a pre-occupation with 'rate of change'?
why don't people think that it's a bit odd that we are essentially built up of only atoms?
and exactly the same idea for DNA also?

how does electricity know that when passing through a parallel circuit -
that more current will takw the path of least resistance?
is electricity water?
if electricity is like water -
- then why can't I see it (like I can see water)?

The problem is that when one spends one's time trying to make sense of things which don't make sense
(based on current understanding)
- then one can rather look as though one has a learning problem.

It's not true though.

Once I annotated a note book in biology with all of the various questions I had
relating to the {amoeba,euglena,spirogyra,hydra}
(at around the age of 13 or 14 yrs) -

- and remember getting into big trouble for asking too many questions (of the teacher) -

the whole unicellular -> multicellular evolutionary leap did not make sense
(as taught).

All of the above questions
(incidentally)

I believe -
(after 5 years on site) -

I may now answer to my own satisfaction -
some 20-30 years too late
(though).

-*-

Why is 'rate of change' such an important concept to math?

Explain how life and mind arose from the atom (and yet more fundamental constructs)?

What is the association between [physical properties/flow] of water and electricity?

Explain the nature of evolution to complexity in life (and elsewhere) (unicellularity to multicellularity in life)?

stef
12-31-08, 04:28 AM
Explain how life and mind arose from the atom (and yet more fundamental constructs)?

What is the association between [physical properties/flow] of water and electricity?

Explain the nature of evolution to complexity in life (and elsewhere) (unicellularity to multicellularity in life)?

I remember faithfully taking notes in science classes and thinking I was some kind of nut case because I kept wondering "but how can this be???"

well your posts generally blow me away so I'm kind of happy to be on the same wavelength for once!

Jediknight36
12-31-08, 09:21 AM
Well, untill I was diagnosed, I thought it was just "me". After taking the meds the first day, my social fears semed to melt away, the depression left, but my disgraphia is still here! Lol! That would be funny! Still exploring my new world!

ADXP
01-01-09, 02:22 PM
I may now answer to my own satisfaction -
some 20-30 years too late
(though).

-*-

Why is 'rate of change' such an important concept to math?

John Travolta wants to know. What is the lemon & who is the lemon?

ADDMagnet
01-15-09, 12:13 AM

Holding lots of information in your mind and manipulating it and doing multi-step problems are working memory issues. I have those as well. However, on medication I have found that I can do these problems easier now. I used to have to write down step by step something someone had told me or I wouldn't remember it all. Now I am able to remember it!! I was thrilled that the meds helped me with that. I have been told it doesn't work for everyone though.

I knew I had some nonverbal disorders as well. It just took me some time researching to find out what it was called. I have some of the characteristics of Developmental Coordination Disorder. I think there were 3 or 4 categories mentioned--I only fit the one category but it described me perfectly. It included not being able to follow body movements like aerobics or dance steps or hand movements like in sign language. I can not do any of that, no matter how slow you go and how many times you show me. I am always doing it wrong, backwards, out of time, etc. usually all of the above. Just can't get it.

I also can't judge speed or distance. My son plays baseball and I've been to almost all of his games and he's been playing since he was 5 years old and he's now 17--usually two or three seasons a year. In Florida there is a fall and spring season and then summer is either all-stars, traveling teams, tournaments, etc. Lots and lots of baseball. I can not anticipate where the ball is going and sometimes I can't even figure out where the ball is (yet others seem to have no problem with this). And how the batter manages to judge the timing to hit the ball is totally beyond me. This probably explains why I didn't like sports very much and was usually the last one chosen for sport teams. Fortunately my son did not inherit my athletic ability.

The only sports I could handle were bowling and badminton. And pogo stick jumping. I couldn't play kickball or do cartwheels. When I was younger and into my teen years, the neighborhood girls had a nickname for me. I was called the "uncola" because I was uncoordinated.

ADDMagnet

TheEru
01-19-09, 12:51 AM
I have a few motor tics that seem to have been getting worse recently

I often have high anxiety and jitteriness

And I have trichotillomania (obsessive hair picking). I constantly pluck the hair from my eyebrows, eyelashes, and beard.

coffybeans
01-22-09, 11:45 PM
Hi... I'm not sure but when you are talking about Enlos Danlos... Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS)

EDS is fairly rare.. Type I Hypermobility about 1 in 10,000 - 15,000 people..
Type 3 Classic (the type I have) about 2-5 in 100,000 people.

To find out if you have it there are some markers that are looked for. There are genetic tests that can be done (via skin biopsy)... Also you would have to have a parent with EDS.

I also seem to be hotter then everyone when the weather is warm... Always lowering the AC...
And I FREEZE in the winter.. cant seem to keep warm.

irishdel
01-23-09, 03:22 AM
tinnitus (ringing in the ears).
right and left mixed up all the time.
excesesive sweating.
allways tapping.
poor handwriting (missing letters in words, missing words in sentances).
miss judging how long things are going to take.
saying the wrong word i.e thinking of 6 but saying 9 when giving someone a phone number.

The ADHD Fan
01-23-09, 02:47 PM
I never knew there were so many little "quirks" surrounding ADD and ADHD. Thanks to everyone for sharing! I'll try to look into some of the underlying biological causes for some of these peculiarities. Thanks again to all the awesome contributors to this thread!

irishdel
01-23-09, 03:38 PM
I'm a carpenter by trade and find myself mentaly fixing things when i'm out anywhere,if i'm sitting down in the pub i can be talking to someone and in the backround i'm mentaly fixing a window ledge that is not level or some arcatrave that hasn't been cut right, i imagine what tools i'd use or what glue i'd need, and this is when i'm trying to listen to what someone is saying...
......i do this all the time and ot makes me lose focus on the conversion.....even where i'm sitting now i 'm allways imagining fixing the shelf my tv is on but in reality i don't because i'm procrastinating...before i had ever heard of ADD i would allways think on this as my mind doodling and in a way that what ADD is, your mind doodling, not switching off,like a computer that runs a programe in the backround all the time ....:confused:

Lunacie
01-23-09, 04:37 PM
I'm a carpenter by trade and find myself mentaly fixing things when i'm out anywhere,if i'm sitting down in the pub i can be talking to someone and in the backround i'm mentaly fixing a window ledge that is not level or some arcatrave that hasn't been cut right, i imagine what tools i'd use or what glue i'd need, and this is when i'm trying to listen to what someone is saying...
......i do this all the time and ot makes me lose focus on the conversion.....even where i'm sitting now i 'm allways imagining fixing the shelf my tv is on but in reality i don't because i'm procrastinating...before i had ever heard of ADD i would allways think on this as my mind doodling and in a way that what ADD is, your mind doodling, not switching off,like a computer that runs a programe in the backround all the time ....:confused:

Wow. I do something similar. In a restaurant I will imagine to myself what changes I would make to turn it into a different kind of business (like a beauty salon - I clean one), or turn it into a home. Imagining the walls and where they would go, how to turn the restrooms into rooms with baths or showers. And when I'm in someone's home I tend to rearrange the furniture in my imagination. It feels disrespectful, like the person didn't do a good job, but I've always had a thing with rearranging the furniture in my home. My hubby would come home at night and bang into things in the dark that weren't there when he left in the afternoon. :o

Baird
01-23-09, 08:12 PM
I talk to myself ALOT and pretend to have conversations which I would like to have with people. These conversations are normally brought up the next day and I know exactly what to say, but then I feel kind of sad because I'm so obsessive about knowing the right things to say.

firstdesserts
01-23-09, 08:56 PM
irishdel: "I'm a carpenter by trade and find myself mentaly fixing things..."

I am a carpenter who can't leave anything unfixed too! But not just the unlevel, off plumb and out of square! Everything! My mind is continually fixating on how this trim could be repaired this way, and the angles for that casing could be configured by this (made up, invented) gadget. I carried around a saw table frame and scrap lumber from house to house for two years, configuring it this way and that, adding measuring instruments, clamps, electrical tools.

I can't leave stuff alone! Yeah, that's a neat piece of music, but it could've had a different lead instrument... Nice computer, but if I added... I like this program except for... If I put an electrical outlet outside the bathroom... What if I built a guitar like/with... Every so often someone will exclaim, "Brilliant!" Most of the time, however, it drives people I work with and my family crazy!

irishdel
01-23-09, 10:28 PM
irishdel: "I'm a carpenter by trade and find myself mentaly fixing things..."

I am a carpenter who can't leave anything unfixed too! But not just the unlevel, off plumb and out of square! Everything! My mind is continually fixating on how this trim could be repaired this way, and the angles for that casing could be configured by this (made up, invented) gadget. I carried around a saw table frame and scrap lumber from house to house for two years, configuring it this way and that, adding measuring instruments, clamps, electrical tools.

I can't leave stuff alone! Yeah, that's a neat piece of music, but it could've had a different lead instrument... Nice computer, but if I added... I like this program except for... If I put an electrical outlet outside the bathroom... What if I built a guitar like/with... Every so often someone will exclaim, "Brilliant!" Most of the time, however, it drives people I work with and my family crazy!

We are from the same mould....i'm the same,do you find yourself taking out a router , changing the bit ,....... my observations aren't exclusive to carpentry , my mind is allways on......when i'm working it's allways saying go go go go go go go.........good to hear i'm not alone......

How do you find work in genral???????

firstdesserts
01-28-09, 02:32 AM
irishdel: We are from the same mould....

Oooboy! I am a bit of an odd bird-even for an American! And not just 'cuz my kin is from Ireland (Caldwell), Wales (Thomas), and Scottland (MacSmythe)! My favorite flute player is from Dublin: Sir James Galway... Ok, I'm digressing!

Nope! I don't even do ADHD right! I'm not hyperactive - just the opposite! I don't have 'working memory' deficits. I don't have a working memory! Math of any sort is fun but laborious and slow and filled with mistakes. Now that I think of it - so is most everything else! I'm a bit clumsy and uncoordinated. I make alot of periodic, spastic movements.

How do you find work in genral???????

Nearly impossible! I use up inordinate amounts of time and energy on things most people do quickly and easily. I have a nearly impossible, stress-filled time trying to keep up my already slow pace - and keeping my mind off projects of mass distraction!

KFC in CA
02-12-09, 11:45 PM
Haven't read all the posts, but thought I'd throw mine in.

I see the world thru a lens of red when I am enraged, grey when I am depressed, and crystal blue when I am euphoric. The grey is by far the most pronounced, probably because I've spent too much time there.

I have some minor sensory overload issues in crowds. I can't make out what anyone is saying in bars, which was a really bummer when I was younger.

I have bipolar disorder.

Ebzy
02-19-09, 02:08 AM
People always tell me I look angry/upset when I'm not..
I've been told I have a monotone?

taterbug
02-26-09, 07:58 PM

Wow!! his blows my mind because I have (had) all of these, the bedwetting ended at age 8 I think. I am getting the idea that ADHD may also be connected a sort of sleep disorder. I have so many sleep issues. I have suffered from serious insomnia, restless legs, sleepwalking, sleep terrors, sleep talking, and lack of adequate REM sleep all of my life. I just recently started stimulant medication so I know that it didn't attribute.

taterbug
02-26-09, 08:05 PM
Restless legs drives me insane!
I get very easily irritated by noise.
I only like even numbers or things on the right although not as bad as the even numbers thing.
I seem to be able to read people well. I look below the surface.
I have an incredible memory for numbers or licence plates but can't remember why I came in this room and got carried away on here. lol
I have a greater affinity to animals...dogs in particular. I happen to think alot of adders are animal savvy.

WOW!! Me to on all of these as well. My ability to "read" people is so right on and on so many different levels that it is scary. I was starting to think that I had some sort of psychic ability of some sort and I am not into that stuff...not kidding LOL!!!!

taterbug
02-26-09, 08:17 PM
I have horrible writing, does anyone else hold their pen different to everyone else? I always have and I can't write any other way, teachers tried to change it, but they gave up because, although I didn't have the best writing, I could draw. Would this be related?

I'm sensitive to cold and I have restless leg syndrome too.

And another one...this is blowing my mind. I have the pen holding thing, I fought with teachers over it in school.

taterbug
02-26-09, 08:18 PM
I could only tell the difference between left and right after I got a small scar on my right thumb and I have used it for reference ever since.

meggie
03-02-09, 02:00 AM
I am hypersensitive to sounds when I am trying to focus on something, to the point where I will start to feel ill - nauseous and angry if I can't finish what I am doing.

I procrastinate like crazy on things that I don't find mentally challenging even if they are easy or would only take a few minutes to complete. I have trouble forcing myself to sit down and just do them.

I have a problem with self regulation, knowing when to stop spending money, stop eating, stop worrying, etc.

I have THE WORST sense of direction out of anyone I have ever met. I get lost inside of stores, ymca bathrooms, you name it and I have gotten lost there. I have a GPS which helps slightly but not 100%. We are on a grid system and I still have no idea where I am.

I have trouble with speed, depth, and distances when driving.

I can recall events with disturbingly accurate detail.

I have severe anxiety about arriving late to class or work. If I think I might possibly be late or unprepared I will stay home or turn around. I do not worry about anything else, only being unprepared. I am obsessively organizing to stay balanced. Probably OCD. I have clothes laid out for my whole family for the next 10 days. Meals planned, chore lists for myself that I actually stick to..etc. I love to clean and plan.

Tested in the 140+ IQ range at age 7. I never do well in class but I do love learning.
I am in love with all things creative, I would say that I am much more creative than logical.

My contact prescriptions are -10 & -9.5 and my vision is too severe for laser vision correction.

I have pre-diabetes (type 2) which runs in the family. I have been controlling it with diet and exercise so it is almost gone now!

That is all that I can think of right now :)

BessieMaeMucho
03-02-09, 02:49 AM
I couldn't tell my right from left until I got married. Then I got divorced and had to picture a ring on my right hand to know the difference.

It's been so long now that failed me too. So I have to pretend to be holding a pen.

As I process right from left I wonder if anyone notices the searching ritual?

I too am like this..i was going to comment earlier that were it not for my wedding rings, i wouldn't know my right from left at all..

i wanted to add too that i don't drive. I don't drive at all...i get completely lost! I don't care how many times ive been somewhere, i've no idea how to get there. This gives me an incredible phobia for driving, and makes me feel inadequate. Like i'm a first class air head! so, in order to not have to deal with it, i just choose not to drive. It is the only time i get panic attacks. it gives me anxiety when others ask me for directions. My ex husband used to say to me "you wake up in a new world every day" and it's exactly what it feels like.

BessieMaeMucho
03-02-09, 02:54 AM
oh and another thing to add...reading a watch. I have a hard time reading a watch especially if the watch has no numbers or markers for where the numbers are supposed to be..if the dial has nothing on it but the hands, forget about it. Sometimes i even find myself counting even if all the numbers and markers are present..(ok, 5 10 15 20 etc) it's like deciphering the Dav Vinci code sometimes for me!

Lunacie
03-02-09, 10:48 AM
I've been dealing with Migraine Disorder for the last 40 years, and have recently been suffering with Chronic Daily Headache for the last 4 months. I ordered a book written by a doctor who has Migraine Disorder himself and runs a clinic that specializes in Migraine research and treatment. The more I read (not just in his book) the more similarities I'm seeing between Migraine Disorder and other neurological disorders such as ADHD.

The oversensitivity to light (especially florescent), loud noise, certain touches and textures, difficulty in telling left from right... I'm sure there are other similarities but of course I can't remember them right now.

So... just curious... any other Migraine sufferers around here?

By the way, current research shows that over 70% of headaches are actually migraines, with various symptoms such as sinus pain. It's only a true sinus headache if you have a sinus infections with the green snot and all that.

firstdesserts
03-02-09, 01:37 PM
This was weird to me, anyway. For quite a while after I quit Ritalin (coffee was more effective), I had the strongest craving for hard liquer. I haven't had any alchohol in years, and didn't care for it that much when I did drink. (!?!)

brambled
03-04-09, 07:28 AM
Punctuation!!

-Mostly
-dashes
-however ,exclamation marks- also feature!

Capitalisation- can be Eccentric on occassion!

fluster
03-04-09, 02:52 PM
My son and I have problems with sounds,(water dripping or some one breathing to loud) the way our clothes feel on our skin, the texture of food in our mouths. Before I sarted meds I use to hear and see things that wernt there(like I would see movement out of the corner of my eye and I would look and there would be nothing.By reading the different forums I'm starting to learn that I'm not as crazy as I once thought!!!!lol

brambled
04-07-09, 09:41 AM
Does anyone have a problem with remembering automated skills? you know like 'you never forget how to ride a bike'- only I didnt learn to ride a bike( really clumsy kid).

Swimming is a better example -I learnt as a young adult- but if I take the grandkids swimming after a gap of a year or 2, it takes me a couple of sessions to 'remember' the coordinated moves.
In the morning I find myself coming down the stairs one step at a time. If I notice , I can correct myself but only if I concentrate on walking, ie it's not automatic. When I'm properly awake I can do it all, run , jump down the stairs. no problem.

I am not now particularly clumsy, except it still takes me longer then other people to learn a new skill.

darkland8
04-14-09, 07:57 PM

0.o i've had a bed wetting problem all my life (not so much any more), i have very ****ty hand writing and 4 of the other symptoms listed in the link on the link you showed us (http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=1557471#id297396)... dam 0.0 look like i have practically all the strange ADHD symptoms mentioned here to XD...i'm one messed up ADHDer XD

kattsqueen
04-14-09, 09:11 PM
I become overheated very easily can not think at all when I am too warm

chronic fatique

chronic muscle aches diagnosed as fibromyalgia

hypothymia even on 40 mgs prozac daily

generalised anxiety disorder

mild ocd

brain farts or blonde moments etc etc etc

cannot write legibly so I usually print all communications or written type

katts

darkland8
04-14-09, 09:20 PM
hey i was wondering.... when i stand up after siting down for a prolonged period of time i lose my sense of vision and my ability to stand up properly (i have to have holds something to stop my swaying and such), and i become super sensitive to sound, and afterward it takes me a second or 2 (some times even a minute) to remember what i had gotten up to do or i feel like i dont need to do it any more (like use the bathroom or grab a snack or a glass of water). i saw a cardiologist and he said it was nothing and i should just drink more water and have more sodium in my diet. could this be conected to my ADHD?

oh yes and i have passed out once because of this (it's why i got the doctors check up)

weezie79
04-15-09, 10:37 PM
I have...
* Dermatotillomania. Mainly scalp-picking. Love scabs ;)
* Bruxism
* Sleep myoclonus
* Very strong intuition - almost "psychic" at times
* Don't know the name for it and it's hard to describe... but periods of intense "awareness" where I look at things around me (anything from my animals to my computer screen) and wonder if it all really exists... how can it exist...? Is it real? Am I real?
* Photographic memory

Driver
04-15-09, 11:30 PM
when i stand up after siting down for a prolonged period of time i lose my sense of vision and my ability to stand up properly (i have to have holds something to stop my swaying and such)

Hypotension (low blood pressure).

I have...
* Don't know the name for it and it's hard to describe... but periods of intense "awareness" where I look at things around me (anything from my animals to my computer screen) and wonder if it all really exists... how can it exist...? Is it real? Am I real?

Disassociation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociation_(psychology)).

Mooch
04-16-09, 04:31 AM
i get the hypotension and the dissociation (dissociation probably a bit more then i should)

when i was little i had a month or so where i could not for the life of me open a door without it going over my left big toe. i remember looking at the door to my bedroom and trying to figure out how to open the door successfully without making my big toe bloody again. i could do it a few weeks earlier i just somehow...forgot...idk

then one day i forgot about my issues with opening doors and i never had issues again...no idea...im weird and somewhat challenged sometimes.

also i've had a few instances of really weird visual disturbances and sounds (like 3-4 all together). they last a few seconds but it's like my vision turns into swirly squiggly lines of colors (sorta like the 70's) and i can feel/hear my brain contracting a couple of times. Luckily, i've been sitting down everytime that happens since i also get extreme vertigo i have no perception at all where i am in relation to the earth i just always held onto whatever ive been sitting on for dear life lol. had an eeg but nothing and have not had any of these things since i started meds. they're actually sorta fun...like a rollercoaster...then i get hyper for a few hours afterwords...also sorta fun

darkland8
04-16-09, 10:51 PM

lol your kidding right? 0.o every1 on my dads side has High BP... lol i really am a freak XD

Zerbinetta
04-17-09, 08:05 PM
I think I'm a bit hypotensive, too, probably due to insufficient fluid intake.

I borrowed my dad's sphygmomanometer (what a word, eh?) the other day, my systolic BP was 105. That was on medication, so supposedly elevated. Hmm.

kettish
04-20-09, 02:10 AM
Depression, anxiety, lots and lots of insomnia! I think the insomnia's a bit RLS and a bit just plain retardedness. Lol.

I feel oddly "feral" sometimes when I'm outside. If the moon's right, it's dark outside, and I get this wild feeling that starts in my chest and back...it's weird, I used to look at the moon like an old friend and label myself a lunatic. Ha ha.

I suck at math, hard core. :P

I was VERY sensitive to criticism as a child, I think-still unsure about that, as my mom seemed to think that the things I was upset over weren't that small, and my dad doesn't even talk about the things he used to say (not social services material y'all, just rude stuff which I think is his ADD in retrospect).

I had very few friends as a child-I can count them all on my fingers from kindergarten up to about the twelfth grade. Here, let me tell you! Marshall, Kendra, Adia, Reebok, Harris, whatsherface, my boyfriends, my girlfriend, Jessica, Erin. Ta-dah! :D

I love animals! I love fixing things. I see signs on the road and trace them with my finger, the outside lines, then the inside ones, and then a tap each for filling in and for the background. I'm not happy with it unless it comes out even.

I hate some noises. Most noises. Even DH snoring is about to get on my nerves (a sure sign it's time for bed).

I couldn't walk through malls for the longest time because I couldn't block out anything from other people, sound, sight, or emotion. I used to think I was psychic (like a previous poster!) and still in all honesty wonder, as it extended to other things, like knowing when something bad had happened in a house before and guessing major revelations before they are revealed to me. (I knew long before my mom found out that a little boy had been beaten on a regular basis in one house we lived in, and I knew before she told me that my dad was gay. I also knew when my grandmother died-I was in basic training, looked up at a lovely moon in a lilac sky, and said, "Well alright then. That's that I suppose." Two days later got called up to the captain's office; he looked all serious, and asked, "Do you know why I called you here?" I said yes, my grandmother died. He looked poleaxed. XD)

Maybe the "psychic" is simply that we can't filter out the information that most people's brains deem unimportant and throw away, and so we have more to work with regarding our surroundings and environment...?

ADDSCTmehave
05-02-09, 11:23 PM
I'm also a senesthete ( i can see music). I read some where that 10% of senesthetes have ADD

Crazybutcute
05-02-09, 11:26 PM
I have the handwriting of a serial killer.
And RLS at times, though it's pretty sporadic.

sikarasearth
05-28-09, 07:43 PM
I have plenty of "weird stuff" some really negative and very hard to deal with. Actually at this stage of my life I am contemplating whether i do in fact have ADD, or some other mental illness/personality disorder. Or perhaps both.!!! Actually, to be honest, i am very scared. I was diagnosed with ADD approx. 3 years ago at the age of 40 and take dexamphetamine 10 g/day. This works quite well for me and my concentration is far better. My weird ADD stuff is:
I hate extremes in temperature - i once had a cold shower and hyperventilated and almost fainted!??
I hate loud noises, such as trucks going by and loud motorbikes
If i have too much to do in a day, i become overwhelmed and agressive and i lose the plot. I am likely to just sit on my couch and refuse to do it.
For some reason, i get along with some and just cannot talk to others, to the point of stuttering and having nothing to say.
I have huge difficulty with following road maps or detailed instructtion
However i have some other symptoms that i do not feel are related to ADD.
Self harm
inability to form long term relationships (recently however, ive improved in that aspect)
Severe recurring depression
I had a psychotic episode and was hospitalised at the age of 26. I have not had one since. The psychiatrists at the hospital could not work out the reason for the episode!
Strange beliefs, but am able, at the same time, to rationalise that they are stupid!

I am currently studying psychology at uni, and have come to realise that i must have a co-morbid pd/mental illness.

What do others think? I am actually scared to death that i may have something else.

Lunacie
05-28-09, 08:45 PM
I have plenty of "weird stuff" some really negative and very hard to deal with. Actually at this stage of my life I am contemplating whether i do in fact have ADD, or some other mental illness/personality disorder. Or perhaps both.!!! Actually, to be honest, i am very scared. I was diagnosed with ADD approx. 3 years ago at the age of 40 and take dexamphetamine 10 g/day. This works quite well for me and my concentration is far better. My weird ADD stuff is:
I hate extremes in temperature - i once had a cold shower and hyperventilated and almost fainted!??
I hate loud noises, such as trucks going by and loud motorbikes
If i have too much to do in a day, i become overwhelmed and agressive and i lose the plot. I am likely to just sit on my couch and refuse to do it.
For some reason, i get along with some and just cannot talk to others, to the point of stuttering and having nothing to say.
I have huge difficulty with following road maps or detailed instructtion
However i have some other symptoms that i do not feel are related to ADD.
Self harm
inability to form long term relationships (recently however, ive improved in that aspect)
Severe recurring depression
I had a psychotic episode and was hospitalised at the age of 26. I have not had one since. The psychiatrists at the hospital could not work out the reason for the episode!
Strange beliefs, but am able, at the same time, to rationalise that they are stupid!

I am currently studying psychology at uni, and have come to realise that i must have a co-morbid pd/mental illness.

What do others think? I am actually scared to death that i may have something else.

Depression is very often cormorbid with ADHD - maybe they are both present, but maybe struggling with the ADHD causes the Depression, and maybe in some people Depression causes ADHD like traits.

I follow maps pretty well, but can't give directions clearly for the life of me. I mean to say "turn left" and it comes out "turn right."

Being overwhelmed by changes in temperature, by loud or annoying noises, by certain tastes, textures, and smells ... are all part of something called Sensory Integration Syndrome (or Disorder). Not all folks with ADHD have it, but many day. Not all folks with Asperger's or Autism have it, but many do. I do, and always have had. So do both my granddaughters - one has ADHD and one is Autistic.

Sometimes new meds or extreme stress can cause psychotic episodes. I'm sure there are other causes for one-off psychotic episodes that don't necessarily mean you need to be committed for life.

doiadhd
05-29-09, 01:07 AM

there is a name for it!Thankyou!So its not me standing up to quick(as they said)

Disassociation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociation_(psychology)).
i,ve been getting this alot recently....quite scary at first but i don,t really mind it now....bit more interesting than the usual day to day....day:)

has anyone ever had a type of mini coma?(best way i can describe it)
I have,nt had it often maybe about 3 or four times in my life. i,m awake with thoughts but my eyes are closed and i can't move any part of my body.....now that is worrying.The first time it happened i had people! telling me it was normal and it happens all the time but have figured out some of the people lie alot of the time..........but not me!Or you?:)

Lunacie
05-29-09, 02:47 PM
Have you mentioned this to a doctor? It sounds like it could be petit mal seizures. My sister has them but I've never asked her whether she felt aware during them but yet realized she couldn't move.

megvass
06-01-09, 04:50 AM
What about excessive eating, gambling, teeth grinding???????

Losti
06-02-09, 07:41 AM
- Low blood pressure
- Language disorder (receptive/expressive)
- Hyperhidrosis (excess sweating)
- Used to see a speech therapist, poor/atypical speech/language development, even used to have a lisp
- Had middle ear infections as a child

Retromancer
06-02-09, 07:50 AM
Long, interminable forum threads that can never truly die...

"Brains!"

Gina
06-09-09, 03:58 PM
Weak sense of smell and taste.

chamaleon
06-09-09, 05:22 PM
im diagnosed combined type with no co-morbidity. I dont get depression i get 'down' like anyone else, completely 'normally'

have been a bit of a druggie/ drinker in the past, but not an addict either. I quite like a healthy life :)

BlueViper
07-17-09, 09:08 AM
Yeah bumping a thread.

When I was little I would rest my head on my pillow and hear a pulsing sound that would get louder and louder until I took my head off of pillow. It was extremely scary.

Also, there were times where my mind became really tense and my thoughts were racing. But not like normal racing thoughts. I felt like my head was going to explode. And during these moments I would start composing music in my head and believe that it genius and wished I could write it down. I'd also think extremely angry thoughts and feel like screaming at someone.

I remember running to my parents and crying during one of these moments because it was so unbearable.

I do not experience either of these anymore.

Anyone know what that could be about?

Catt39
09-23-09, 02:57 PM
I get the always hot thing. When I was in my twenties I thought I was getting hot flashes already. But now that I'm in my late thirties I cannot handle extremes of heat or cold. I don't wear jewelry or tight clothing because they feel heavier than they should and make me extremely uncomfortable. I hate having my feet covered...so I hate wearing socks or shoes and sleep with my feet sticking out of the bedcovers. I also have my little "bubble" where if anything or anyone gets too close to me I get uncomfortable, even people I love. All my senses are on hyperalert...I will smell things that no one else can, bright lights for too long bugs me and I hateeeeeeee florescent lights. Too much noise irritates me, or too loud. I have extremely sensitive skin.....allergic to lots of perfumes and whatnot, and im overly sensitive emotionally. That's really all I can think of for now.

Catt39
09-23-09, 03:00 PM
i get the hypotension and the dissociation (dissociation probably a bit more then i should)

when i was little i had a month or so where i could not for the life of me open a door without it going over my left big toe. i remember looking at the door to my bedroom and trying to figure out how to open the door successfully without making my big toe bloody again. i could do it a few weeks earlier i just somehow...forgot...idk

then one day i forgot about my issues with opening doors and i never had issues again...no idea...im weird and somewhat challenged sometimes.

also i've had a few instances of really weird visual disturbances and sounds (like 3-4 all together). they last a few seconds but it's like my vision turns into swirly squiggly lines of colors (sorta like the 70's) and i can feel/hear my brain contracting a couple of times. Luckily, i've been sitting down everytime that happens since i also get extreme vertigo i have no perception at all where i am in relation to the earth i just always held onto whatever ive been sitting on for dear life lol. had an eeg but nothing and have not had any of these things since i started meds. they're actually sorta fun...like a rollercoaster...then i get hyper for a few hours afterwords...also sorta fun
I get the low blood sugar thing and have passed out from it twice in my life......my mom took me to a bunch of different doctors and they always said nothing was wrong with me...I found out on my own that it was low blood sugar.

Lunacie
09-24-09, 05:40 PM
I get the always hot thing. When I was in my twenties I thought I was getting hot flashes already. But now that I'm in my late thirties I cannot handle extremes of heat or cold. I don't wear jewelry or tight clothing because they feel heavier than they should and make me extremely uncomfortable. I hate having my feet covered...so I hate wearing socks or shoes and sleep with my feet sticking out of the bedcovers. I also have my little "bubble" where if anything or anyone gets too close to me I get uncomfortable, even people I love. All my senses are on hyperalert...I will smell things that no one else can, bright lights for too long bugs me and I hateeeeeeee florescent lights. Too much noise irritates me, or too loud. I have extremely sensitive skin.....allergic to lots of perfumes and whatnot, and im overly sensitive emotionally. That's really all I can think of for now.

Have you ever read about Sensory Processing Disorder - also called Sensory Defensiveness? Certainly sounds like it describes your symptoms. Most of which I would have to put on my list as well. A few links to get you started...
http://www.incrediblehorizons.com/sensory-integration.htm
http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/tactile-defensiveness.html
http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/sensory-defensiveness.html

Crazygirl79
09-24-09, 07:12 PM
I have too many to list but sensory integration dysfunction, mild social anxiety and depression as well as obsessive compulsive tendencies are among them, I also have what Sarek described in an earlier post about dressing too light for the weather and getting hot too quickly.

Selena

PickMeUpRoadie
09-24-09, 11:59 PM
Synesthesia is also something I have experienced, however instead of seeing music, I tend to "taste" music. I get this from certain intervals and key signatures, for example, a perfect fifth starting on F sharp/G flat produces a sort of metalic taste in my mouth. I don't think this has much to do with ADHD, however only other person that I have met who has absolute pitch also has ADHD, and has a similar experience in regards to synethesia. I have never exhibited symptoms of autism...

In regards to handwriting, my issue is that I write extremely "hard", in that I literally press down very hard when I write. I cannot use pencil lead smaller than .7 for this very reason. Because I have been writing in this fashion my whole life, my forearm muscles are quite large as I tend to flex my forearm when I write.

My writing can vary to relatively legible to entirely illegible. When I write music, I write a score for myself that is generally difficult for many people to read, then I make another more legible copy for the instrumentalists. Lately, I have been trying to score on the computer more, but it is still far quicker for me to write scores by hand...

My handwriting improves dramatically when on amphetamines, but it also seems to slow down my writing speed...

J.S Bach has some scores that can get messy. The one below is actually quite clear, some of his other manuscripts are more confusing...

http://www.njn.net/artsculture/starts/season07-08/images/2603/2603scheidelibraryscore.jpg
^^^The master at work!

Agreed that Bach and the rest of the masters typically had first drafts (even final drafts) that were next to illegible.

As a musician, I sometimes wish I had auditory => visual synesthesia, but I don't know how it would be, so I'll never know. When I am on Adderall, low bass tones significantly relax me, and give me a more thoughtful mindset (60 Hz and below).

The only time I ever experienced Synesthesia was in kindergarten. I would associate people with colors and shapes. The girl I liked was a blue square, her friend was a purple rectangle, another person was an orange triangle, etc. I still retain those associations today, when I think of those people I recall that synesthetic sense, but I dont make any new associations.

NekoGirl
09-25-09, 01:14 AM
Long, interminable forum threads that can never truly die...

"Brains!"

ROTFL... "why can't we have some GUTS?"

I seriously think I have a super-duper-hypo form of face blindness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia) (well, probably not really, but... y'know how people say, "I can remember faces, not names."? Well, I sometimes have trouble remembering either. It's not anything horrible, but noticeably worse than most people's recognition times.

The rest of the "symptoms" I have (or can think of at the moment) are pretty much covered by ADD.

~Ødd~Scr~θθball
11-24-09, 11:03 PM
Post is somewhat long......:)
As far as weird co~morbid symptoms I have Dyscalculia, which means anything mathematical is almost impossible. Distance, Speed, Miles, Measurements have no meaning for me. I also have Sensory Integration Disorder and hope to get tested for Auditory Processing Disorder which I strongly feel I have just by the problems I have in understanding and remembering what someone says to me.
I found this part of a Wikipedia article on Auditory Processing Disorder particularly interesting:

Persons with APD often:

* have trouble paying attention to and remembering information presented orally; they cope better with visually acquired information.
* may have trouble paying attention and remembering information when information is simultaneously presented in multiple modalities
* have problems carrying out multi-step directions given orally; need to hear only one direction at a time.
* appear to have poor listening skills, and need people to speak slowly
* need more time to process information.
* develop a dislike for locations with background noise such as bar, clubs or other social locations
* prefer written communication (e.g. text chat)
* have behavioral problems.

APD can manifest as problems determining the direction of sounds, difficulty perceiving differences between speech sounds and the sequencing of these sounds into meaningful words, confusing similar sounds such as "hat" with "bat", "there" with "where", etc. Fewer words may be perceived than were actually said, as there can be problems detecting the gaps between words, creating the sense that someone is speaking unfamiliar or nonsense words. Those suffering from APD may have problems relating what has been said with its meaning, despite obvious recognition that a word has been said, as well as repetition of the word. Background noise, such as the sound of a radio, television or a noisy bar can make it difficult to impossible to understand speech, depending on the severity of the auditory processing disorder. Using a telephone can be problematic for someone with auditory processing disorder, in comparison with someone with normal auditory processing, due to low quality audio, poor signal, intermittent sounds and the chopping of words.[10] Many who have auditory processing disorder subconsciously develop visual coping strategies, such as lip reading, reading body language, and eye contact, to compensate for their auditory deficit, and these coping strategies are not available when using a telephone.
[edit] Secondary characteristics

Those who have APD tend to be quiet or shy,[citation needed][dubious – discuss] even withdrawn from mainstream society due to their communication problems, and the lack of understanding of these problems by their peers.

One who fails to process any part of the communication of others may be unable to comprehend what is being communicated. This has some obvious social and educational implication, which can cause a lack of understanding from others. In adults this can lead to persistent interpersonal relationship problems.

Some of these signs can be shared with other related disorders which can also have areas of overlap, such as acquired brain injury, attention deficits, dyslexia or learning difficulties, hearing loss, and psychologically-based behavioral problems.

APD may be related to cluttering,[18] a fluency disorder marked by word and phrase repetitions.
[edit] Remediations and training
See also: Alternative therapies for developmental and learning disabilities

There are no research supported treatments for APD available, however a variety of treatments have been offered commercially despite the absence of empirical research in support of their efficacy.

* Auditory Integration Training typically involves a child attending two 30-minute sessions per day for ten days.[19]
* Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes (particularly, the Visualizing and Verbalizing program)
* Physical activities which require frequent crossing of the midline (e.g. occupational therapy)
* Sound Field Amplification

[edit] Relation to Specific language impairment

APD can also be confused with Specific language impairment (SLI).

SLI is more specifically a problem associated with the linking of words, both written and spoken, to semantics (meaning) and someone can have both APD and SLI. Unlike those with SLI, those with APD can usually get the meaning of language from written words where those with SLI show problems with both heard and read words, demonstrating that the basic issue is not an auditory one.[dubious – discuss][original research?]

Those with APD have auditory difficulty distinguishing sounds including speech from extraneous sounds, e.g. fans or other chatter. APD is purely about processing what you hear both verbal and non-verbal. For those who have APD, difficulty processing verbal language is only one of many symptoms.
[ See also

* Asperger syndrome
* Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
* King-Kopetzky syndrome (now included in the UK Medical Research Councils definition of APD)
* Pure word deafness.

I also have itching problems without apparent cause. some vision problems, claw foot, eat lots of ice, and dare I say may have Dyspraxia which is also called clumsy child syndrome. I was very clumsy as a child and still am~clumsy! LOL!!!
The most frustrating aspect of all my myriad of conditions is at the time I suffered with them there were no viable words, tests or diagnosis for anyone to say to my parents: 'Your child has this, this and that, and here is what we need to do to help....' Finding names for what I always suffered from is cathartic in a sense........ as it gives me the whys of other's past reactions to me, their hurtful words and laughter but it feels as though I'll never catch up to function at my full potential although my earlier sufferings has given me empathy, understanding and acceptance of the problems of others. If that's true I'm thankful for all my conditions and embrace them as who I truly am and would not change a one but would like to learn coping strategies. Ah~h~h coping that is really what many of us want. Acceptance of who we are is up to others and that alone is so~o~o~o liberating. Right......? :D

:):cool::D:):cool::D:):cool::D

ADDMagnet
11-25-09, 02:52 PM
Auditory Processing Disorder particularly interesting:

Persons with APD often:

* have trouble paying attention to and remembering information presented orally; they cope better with visually acquired information.
* may have trouble paying attention and remembering information when information is simultaneously presented in multiple modalities
* have problems carrying out multi-step directions given orally; need to hear only one direction at a time.
* appear to have poor listening skills, and need people to speak slowly
* need more time to process information.
* develop a dislike for locations with background noise such as bar, clubs or other social locations
* prefer written communication (e.g. text chat)
* have behavioral problems.

APD can manifest as problems determining the direction of sounds, difficulty perceiving differences between speech sounds and the sequencing of these sounds into meaningful words, confusing similar sounds such as "hat" with "bat", "there" with "where", etc. Fewer words may be perceived than were actually said, as there can be problems detecting the gaps between words, creating the sense that someone is speaking unfamiliar or nonsense words. Those suffering from APD may have problems relating what has been said with its meaning, despite obvious recognition that a word has been said, as well as repetition of the word. Background noise, such as the sound of a radio, television or a noisy bar can make it difficult to impossible to understand speech, depending on the severity of the auditory processing disorder. Using a telephone can be problematic for someone with auditory processing disorder, in comparison with someone with normal auditory processing, due to low quality audio, poor signal, intermittent sounds and the chopping of words.[10] Many who have auditory processing disorder subconsciously develop visual coping strategies, such as lip reading, reading body language, and eye contact, to compensate for their auditory deficit, and these coping strategies are not available when using a telephone.
[edit] Secondary characteristics

Those who have APD tend to be quiet or shy,[citation needed][dubious – discuss] even withdrawn from mainstream society due to their communication problems, and the lack of understanding of these problems by their peers.

One who fails to process any part of the communication of others may be unable to comprehend what is being communicated. This has some obvious social and educational implication, which can cause a lack of understanding from others. In adults this can lead to persistent interpersonal relationship problems.

Some of these signs can be shared with other related disorders which can also have areas of overlap, such as acquired brain injury, attention deficits, dyslexia or learning difficulties, hearing loss, and psychologically-based behavioral problems.

:):cool::D:):cool::D:):cool::D

I can definitely relate to at least 5 of the specific points mentioned. Several of those descriptions also apply to the SCT (Sluggish Cognitive Tempo) symptoms which I definitely have. The meds I take for my inattentive ADHD do help me with many of those symptoms. So how does one know what is ADP, ADHD or SCT (not an officially recognized diagnosis, but describe a subset of those with inattenive ADHD)?

Auditory processing requires greater use of working memory, such as being able to process multi-step directions. Working memory problems are common with SCT and I definitely have that although I have found it is greatly improved when I am on medication.

I need more time to process what is being said and I do respond better to visual information. I am much more likely to forget what I have heard than what I have read. And I do need people to speak more slowly especially if they are making a lot of important points or directions. And I hate having conversations in a bar or with background noise like a television or radio. I feel like I am the only one who cannot communicate well in these types of situations.

I do have a high IQ and did well in school so I know that these symptoms are not due to being less intelligent than everyone else. And I miss a lot of things when I am in conversation over the phone. I much prefer speaking to someone in person. Written communication is preferred in some situations but then you don't always get the tone and subtle cues from body language. And consistent texting can be frustrating for me because it takes too long! I like immediate feedback.

homosapiens
11-26-09, 09:47 PM
I may have inattentive ADD and have these "symptoms" (I don't know whether they are common in ADD-PI or not):

Tics (maybe this is common)
As opposed to what others have described earlier, I have great handwriting. Could that be characteristic of inattention in contrast to hyperactivity?
Telophobia (I made that up:). I used to fear making phone calls.)
Sensitive to input: bad feelings are very bad; good feelings are very good. My feelings are easily hurt, thus I cried, was bullied, & withdrew as a kid, and I avoid arguments as an adult. Positive sensations feel fantastic to me, thus I love music, food, sex, movies, sports, conversation, humor, ideas, etc. Sensitivity in people can have two meanings: good ability to read and understand the feelings of others, or being easily moved emotionally. I made up the terms "exosensitive" to describe the former, and "endosensitive" to describe the latter. I'm endosensitive.
I care about strangers, and not only about my family. The good side is that I give money to charity and work to help poor people. The bad side is I have less focus on the family. Although I spend much quality time with my kids and love them, having a family alone doesn't make me feel satisfied in life, as it does for many people. My ex-wife even said that I have no sense of family (at the time, I thought that was because I didn't want to have kids, but maybe she felt something more general about my values). I like utilitarianism and some of the philosophy of Peter Singer related to charity for poor people. On the one hand, it's hard for me to understand why most people around me don't give to charity. On the other hand, it's also hard for me to understand why most people around me focus their whole lives and happiness on their own children. I've concluded that my values must be somewhat odd.

People are very complex, and each person is unique. We have 20,000 genes and millions of polymorphisms in our DNA. Many of these weird symptoms may be individual variation unrelated to ADD (or not). Only properly-controlled studies can tell, although these case reports we're giving are a first step. Plus, they're fun.

scarygreengiant
11-26-09, 11:32 PM
As opposed to what others have described earlier, I have great handwriting. Could that be characteristic of inattention in contrast to hyperactivity?

Hey I have good handwriting too! I doubt it has anything to do with being inattentive though. It's probably just a random trait.

ex_cearulo
11-29-09, 08:33 PM
I'm not sure if it's a full blown synesthesia, but music feels very tactile to me.
I have difficulty "visualising" in that, again, it tends to be more tactile than visual.
Words feel visceral.
Intuitions feel like tactile impressions.

My handwriting is awful. I have been re-training myself to use an italic method. But there are times when I can't maintain anything legible.

I run hot and sweat like a horse. Any exertion, physical or mental, does it. However, when sedentary, I generally feel cold.

I can't listen to audiobooks, unless I use sound-blocking headphones. Even then, I have to avoid looking around.

Noises over a certain volume become extremely irritating when I'm eating.

Sitting in a mall food court, feels like sitting on a large stone in the rapids, or a sounding stream in a garden. All the noises flow together and it can't be tuned out (although other things can take mental priority).

My mind seems to work through associations. If I cannot form some form of mental association, that thing will be hard for me to learn or recall.
Associations jump to mind all the time. Puns, random trivia, purposively irrelevant associations.

My mind always leaps ahead or back to phases/stages not relevant to my work or situation, always looking at a bigger picture.

What someone mentioned and someone referred to as dissociation. I fall back often to the point of view of the observing self.

I can sympathise with Kettish's feral feelings. I got them much more when I was younger.

I'm also a migraineur.

Prior to medication:

Moods swings.
Uncomfortable with physical contact.
Mild or low-grade depression - possibly.

dancinonwater
01-07-11, 12:32 PM
wow i had no idea so many people had synesthisia with ADHD! i do too! mine is mostly with smells, colors, and places in space. i can smell words, music, etc, and i see all words, letters, and numbers in colors. the strangest thing that i think may actually have to do with ADHD is that the colors and places in space seem to organize things, like all subjects in school have a different color and place in space, as do days of the week, and other "grouped" things. feelings also have colors and smells.

i also cannot stand some things that distract me, or to touch, hear, or smell certain things. for exaple, some things that a person may be doing actually seem to "hurt" me. i get the same feeling inside as i do when someone scratches the blackboard or does something producing a similar sound (except it obviously doesnt hurt my ears).

Is bedwetting really related to ADHD, becouse i didnt stop wetting the bed until i was like 7, and i still did it up until i was like 11. i also have very poor handwriting.

dancinonwater
01-07-11, 12:38 PM
I may have inattentive ADD and have these "symptoms" (I don't know whether they are common in ADD-PI or not):

Tics (maybe this is common)
Telophobia (I made that up:). I used to fear making phone calls.)
Sensitive to input: bad feelings are very bad; good feelings are very good. My feelings are easily hurt, thus I cried, was bullied, & withdrew as a kid, and I avoid arguments as an adult. Positive sensations feel fantastic to me, thus I love music, food, sex, movies, sports, conversation, humor, ideas, etc. Sensitivity in people can have two meanings: good ability to read and understand the feelings of others, or being easily moved emotionally. I made up the terms "exosensitive" to describe the former, and "endosensitive" to describe the latter. I'm endosensitive.
I care about strangers, and not only about my family. The good side is that I give money to charity and work to help poor people. The bad side is I have less focus on the family. Although I spend much quality time with my kids and love them, having a family alone doesn't make me feel satisfied in life, as it does for many people. My ex-wife even said that I have no sense of family (at the time, I thought that was because I didn't want to have kids, but maybe she felt something more general about my values). I like utilitarianism and some of the philosophy of Peter Singer related to charity for poor people. On the one hand, it's hard for me to understand why most people around me don't give to charity. On the other hand, it's also hard for me to understand why most people around me focus their whole lives and happiness on their own children. I've concluded that my values must be somewhat odd.

haha i have alot of these syptoms too! i think being sensitive definately goes hand in hand with ADHD, i also hate making phone calls, which i think has to do with the sensitivity to imput, and i am always worrying about everyone, even strangers.

spunkysmum
01-13-11, 06:05 PM
Also, I was thinking, I think ADD writers might be more prone to overuseage of parentheses (since we always have a multitude of related-but-not-related things to say!). I know my emails have trillions of them!

Oh, that's funny! I remember in 9th grade typing class when the teacher said that the "dash" button (-) gets used pretty rarely and I piped up and said that I used it all the time! He probably thought I was being a wiseass but I wasn't. It was true. It's probably the same idea as using parentheses all the time.

anonymouslyadd
01-13-11, 07:15 PM
Wow. I do something similar. In a restaurant I will imagine to myself what changes I would make to turn it into a different kind of business (like a beauty salon - I clean one), or turn it into a home. Imagining the walls and where they would go, how to turn the restrooms into rooms with baths or showers. And when I'm in someone's home I tend to rearrange the furniture in my imagination. It feels disrespectful, like the person didn't do a good job, but I've always had a thing with rearranging the furniture in my home. My hubby would come home at night and bang into things in the dark that weren't there when he left in the afternoon. :o

so funny!

tipoo
01-13-11, 07:23 PM
Like others in this thread, I really dislike ambient noise, ie construction a few houses down, screaming children outside, computer fans and hard drives, etc. I also don't really like being touched, and rarely initiate the touch. And I seem to have an ability to ignore the cold completely, it can get down to -30 Celsius where I live and I usually still wear a t-shirt under my jacket, and no gloves. Its almost as if being bogged down with clothing would be more uncomfortable than the -30 weather.