View Full Version : So I want to succeed

sharkie13
10-05-08, 12:34 PM
But I can't ever just start my homework. And when on the rare occasion that I do do it, it's as if every fiber of my being is against me doing this grueling and time wasting activity. I already know the information most of the time, so not doing it doesn't cripple me too much test wise.

Anyway point being is I put it off until later. And again. And then later comes, and it's the next day at school and I don't have my homework. Generally there is enough time for me to complete it but it uses ALL of my free time at school and I really don't want that.

In classes: I fall asleep. It's embarrassing being woken up by a teacher than have the whole class laugh about it. It's worse when my teachers mark my grade down significantly because of my inattentiveness in class.

So yeah strategies that I WILL ACTUALLY USE will work. I have a laptop that I can use during most of my classes if that matters.

Imnapl
10-05-08, 01:27 PM
Hi Sharkie. Are you taking any medication?

sharkie13
10-05-08, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I'm on Wellbutrin and my doctor just started me on something called Provigil.
Ritalin, Concerta, etc. never really helped me too much.

Imnapl
10-05-08, 01:56 PM
Thanks, Sharkie. The Provigil answers the question I had about falling asleep in class. I hope it works for you.

sharkie13
10-05-08, 02:22 PM
Anybody know any strategies I could use?

hillzy
10-05-08, 03:37 PM
Maybe if you can tell us a bit more about yourself, we can offer some strategies.

What level of education are you at? Are you in high school? University? College?

Meeko
10-05-08, 03:52 PM
Not actually sure what to tell you, since that's exactly what happened to me in high school. Only, there was a time when I semi-worked and a time when I mostly just slept in class. I still managed to get a 3.4 and get into a good college.

The difference was I semi-worked when I was scared. I took 4 AP courses, one honors course, and oceanography, so I was stimulated to the point where I would actually have to do my work because I was scared of not doing well. Unfortunately, the 2nd semester I pretty much adapted and went to my lazy self again. Here I am at college being lazy again (already took summer courses, maybe I adapted to those too quickly) only you can't really afford to be lazy in college, which is why I'm seeking help.

I'm still waiting to be diagnosed, however. Hope that any sort of medication/strategies might work for me after that.

sharkie13
10-06-08, 01:03 AM
Maybe if you can tell us a bit more about yourself, we can offer some strategies.

What level of education are you at? Are you in high school? University? College?

10th grade. Diagnosed with ADHD at 3 years of age and depression at 12 years.

I hear a strategy, I think it may work. Sometimes it does, but only for a week or two until I decide it's too time consuming and I just stop doing it. Basically what I would be looking for is something that doesn't take a lot of time. Like a strategy for organizing I saw on this forum was a pocket voice recorder, which, seeing as I hate writing, would work wonders for me.

So basically I would need things like that.

Not actually sure what to tell you, since that's exactly what happened to me in high school. Only, there was a time when I semi-worked and a time when I mostly just slept in class. I still managed to get a 3.4 and get into a good college.

The difference was I semi-worked when I was scared. I took 4 AP courses, one honors course, and oceanography, so I was stimulated to the point where I would actually have to do my work because I was scared of not doing well. Unfortunately, the 2nd semester I pretty much adapted and went to my lazy self again. Here I am at college being lazy again (already took summer courses, maybe I adapted to those too quickly) only you can't really afford to be lazy in college, which is why I'm seeking help.

I'm still waiting to be diagnosed, however. Hope that any sort of medication/strategies might work for me after that.
I am the type of person who HATES review or spending too much time learning a specific topic, generally leading me to falling asleep, and then of course I miss things. Usually it isn't much because they take SO LONG on one topic because I'm in lower classes because I can't get good grades because I don't get my work done. But I learn faster than that. For example. I never learned my last vocab unit. 2 minutes before the test period starts i borrow somebody's book and quickly run through the words for the first time, and then pull off an 85. Which isn't bad considering the circumstances there.

Also I'm similar to you in that I try to get my act together in the beginning of the year but then quickly slack off.

Juliak
10-23-08, 06:50 PM
a really annoying way that i can do my school work and not get too bored with itis that i completely lose track of time, lol.

i hate reviewing things too and i realize that when i study by looking at a sheet, it doesn't stick and i usally feel like sleeping. so, i try to copy everything over, condensing it onto one sheet of paper, as in re-writing it. this also helps because im a visual person and i can picture just 1 page easliy. i find that even if i don't study it after, i can still get a good grade. once i start, i totally lose track of time, (not because i like it) and im done before i know it. just an idea.

another idea since you said you keep switching study ideas, try one for a couple of weeks and then try another and keep alternating them.

Crackerjack
10-24-08, 09:23 PM
But I can't ever just start my homework. And when on the rare occasion that I do do it, it's as if every fiber of my being is against me doing this grueling and time wasting activity. I already know the information most of the time, so not doing it doesn't cripple me too much test wise.

Yup, I had that problem for a long time with that and other things as well. After I got diagnosed, I started paying attention to how I acted so I could see how/where the ADD was affecting me.

One major thing I noticed was I kept putting things off even if they were incredibly simple - like if I wanted to file a piece of paper, I'd start walking towards the filing cabinet, then just when I was about to get to the cabinet I'd put down the paper and walk away telling myself I'd file it later.

So I discovered my thoughts for getting almost anything done is - "I'll do this now...no, I'll do it later." And then nothing would get done.

What I did to work around that was add another thought at the end, so now my thought goes: "I'll do this now...no, I'll do it later. No, I'll do it now."

Now I'm pretty well organized and productive, though I still have my lapses.

Try it. It's a neat trick, though it might feel a bit uncomfortable and get mentally tiring in the beginning.