View Full Version : ADHD & Sleep Apnea

relievedinnj
10-06-08, 03:25 PM
Anyone suffer from both?

FrazzleDazzle
10-06-08, 07:41 PM
Sleep apnea is one of the medical issues that can cause or exacerbate ADHD symptoms, and should be ruled out prior to a proper ADHD diagnosis.

This would be an interesting full article to check out, but the abstract is only available here: http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S1087079206000529

JR1973
10-09-08, 11:23 AM
Yep, count me in as having both.

J

QueensU_girl
10-09-08, 11:40 AM
Yup.

Tested and confirmed for both.

It helps to reduce one's weight. Even a 10 lb weight loss/gain can improve/worsen apnea. (According to my sleep doctor.)

fortunateson
12-19-08, 03:06 PM
Yes. Just found out I have Apnea.
Wish someone would have pointed that out for me 25 YEARS AGO.
Yes, that's how long I've been suffering with horrendous sleep problems. Most Dr. visits however have resulted in: "You don't have apnea, because you're not fat." JERKS!

On top of that, a sleep study taken 3 years ago came up as "inconclusive" I'd love to sue that idiot.

Now I wonder if I really have ADD (just diagnosed 1.5 months ago).

Assuming I have ADD, here's another thought:
ADD is a serious brain disorder. Most of my apneas showed up as "Central" or caused by a CNS malfunction. Could it be caused by my ADD brain?

QueensU_girl
01-01-09, 04:15 AM
You could have both, too.

Lola
01-26-09, 03:40 PM
Me too! Used to scare my mom half to death as i have always been a loud sleeper....heavy breathing....then she would stop hearing me from downstairs. She soon learned to wait a few seconds for the sudden intake of breath and back to snoring :D

Wisefolly
02-25-09, 11:14 AM
Yes. Just found out I have Apnea.
Wish someone would have pointed that out for me 25 YEARS AGO.
Yes, that's how long I've been suffering with horrendous sleep problems. Most Dr. visits however have resulted in: "You don't have apnea, because you're not fat." JERKS!

On top of that, a sleep study taken 3 years ago came up as "inconclusive" I'd love to sue that idiot.

Now I wonder if I really have ADD (just diagnosed 1.5 months ago).

Assuming I have ADD, here's another thought:
ADD is a serious brain disorder. Most of my apneas showed up as "Central" or caused by a CNS malfunction. Could it be caused by my ADD brain?

I looked up sleep apnea in a search but somehow managed to miss this thread and started a new one. Sorry to hear about your first test showing up as inconclusive. :( I just took a sleep study last night, and I'm hoping my sleep tech isn't the one who interprets the results. Otherwise, his bias may get in the way. Before we even started, he said I probably don't have it because I'm skinny, even though I told him I have allergies, daytime sleepiness, and multiple people have observed me stop breathing. (These people swore that it wasn't just snoring. :shrug:)

My sleep doctor is totally awesome. She said my allergies, enlarged soft palate, and small jaw may indicate that I have some trouble breathing when I sleep.

How were you able to get another study after the first one came back inconclusive? I'm sorry to hear that happened to you, but glad to hear that you have a diagnosis now.

fortunateson
03-14-09, 01:19 AM
I looked up sleep apnea in a search but somehow managed to miss this thread and started a new one. Sorry to hear about your first test showing up as inconclusive. :( I just took a sleep study last night, and I'm hoping my sleep tech isn't the one who interprets the results. Otherwise, his bias may get in the way. Before we even started, he said I probably don't have it because I'm skinny, even though I told him I have allergies, daytime sleepiness, and multiple people have observed me stop breathing. (These people swore that it wasn't just snoring. :shrug:)

My sleep doctor is totally awesome. She said my allergies, enlarged soft palate, and small jaw may indicate that I have some trouble breathing when I sleep.

How were you able to get another study after the first one came back inconclusive? I'm sorry to hear that happened to you, but glad to hear that you have a diagnosis now.

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been following up on the ADD thing since the apnea diagnosis.

I agree with the post above that apnea must be ruled out first. I cut my adderall until I'm sleeping better, then I must (as all of us should) re-evaluate my ADD. I may not even have it, or may have it more mild than I thought. Sleep deprivation does weird things to your mind.

Anyway. 3 years later, I'm on a different health plan, so no problems, though I'm not so sure it would be a problem so long as a doc recommended another study. I have a great primary care who will do just about anything I ask as she trusts that I'm not a nut case or an addict. Just a guy with one or more serious problems.

BTW, I'm back here because even with CPAP I wasn't sleeping so well - I had a lot of spontaneous awakenings outside of the breathing issues as the sleep study showed, so my sleep doctor put me on Neurontin to zonk me out. I have a question or two about that med (it's also used for some cases of ADD) Long story short, I just wanted to make all you CPAP folks aware of my latest theory: Those spontaneous awakenings may be a "feature" of ADD. Again, not sure if ADD is really apnea in disguise, but if not, my brain jumping awake every few minutes sounds quite a bit like ADD - just something to keep in mind in case you find that CPAP isn't going so well.