View Full Version : Is it depression or the typical lack of motivation of ADHD?

sism
10-07-08, 07:09 PM
I dont know if my husband has depression because he is not motivated for anything but the few things he likes.I know this is a characteristic of ADHD but i dont know if he can have depression also as a co existing condition. How to know?
I said to his doctor that he might be depressed and he gave him an antidepressive. Is it ok?
I would be so happy if he enjoyed normal activities like walking, even if he is not interested in them. Can an antidepressive change this aspects of his behaviour?

WarPhalange
10-07-08, 07:53 PM
1) ADHD and depression can co-exist. In fact, depression is more likely to be found in ADHD people than in regular people.

2) If he only has motivation for the things he likes, I wouldn't really think it's depression. I have and have had depression in the past and when the motivation is gone, it's completely gone. Having zero motivation for things you don't like but having it for things you do like is a sign of ADHD.

3) What doctor did you go to? I would never trust a general doctor with diagnosing a mental disorder such as ADHD or depression. I would go to a psychiatrist. It's more expensive, but it's worth it, because the general doctor will just hand out pills and have no idea what is going on.

sism
10-08-08, 02:23 PM
Thanks!!
He is going to a psychiatrist. He gave him Ixel. Sometime he also says he wants to die.
Not even with antidepression will he ever be motivated in his life to do things that he is not interested in?.

olavia
10-08-08, 03:53 PM
If he is depressed, it might help.
If he is not depressed, and it is the ADD that makes him unmotivated, antidepressives might make him worse, especially SSRI or Effexor.
Do look out for that.

sarek
10-08-08, 03:55 PM
Depression can be comorbid with ADHD but can also occur because of the difficulties of ADD life. It is more like a kind of tiredness of everything in that case.

If there is a real depression combined with ADHD then treating only the depression or only the ADHD will probably not work.
The basic lack of motivation of an ADDer for uninteresting things is ADHD related, but an ADDer definitely has interests for which they can be motivated.

tomxkite
10-09-08, 05:54 AM
Has he tried ADHD meds like adderall? I am in similar situation; major motivational issues. But with meds, I can do some of them; just barely enough to get by.

Pink Sunset
10-09-08, 09:49 PM
I am in the throws of both. Long standing depression and ADD innattentive. Most days I have no idea which is which. It is an awful feeling, but you just have to keep going and try to find the right med cocktail and have hope that it will get better. Keep supporting your husband, he needs it. Also, if he has said he wants to die, he needs close support to help him feel less alone in his struggle. Good luck. Your best bet is a good psychiatrist who will treat both. Mine only wants to deal with one dx at a time, i understand but it is frustrating.

aileen.simpson
07-27-09, 05:17 AM
I think the most important thing in this case is regular contact with a psychiatrist. An anti-depressant can only partly help with improving the mood, most important are motvation and faith and he can only get those through good discussions with an expert. I had to purchase Avil (http://www.antidepressantscheaper.com/Avil.htm) for a long time and I realized that it has only little effect on my motivation and it depends on myself to get out of my problems.

movingforward
08-10-09, 11:13 PM
I also have a similar thing. My psychologist thinks I have depression more than ADD. However, my psychiatrist has been treating me for ADD. I actually keep active so I don't get depressed. I do do things I enjoy. But, when it comes to filing paperwork and doing stuff for school, I have to force myself and perhaps it would take me about a month to finish it. My attention goes to other stuff I want to do and think is important. However, I have been depressed too in the past and have had some suicidal and still a lot of negative thoughts.

So, perhaps I have both?

Well in any case, I am not sure what to treat and I am afraid to take both anti-depressants and ADD medication.

If I do, do they basically cancel each other out.

belfort
08-18-09, 07:53 PM
i beliege i have adhd-I and low level despression as a result...it is a double whammy and motivation to do anything is usually very low..even things i like i have to force myself to do but once i start its fine...so you can imagine that if you have to literally force yourself thru every day life, you will start questioning your existence and depression soon follows...whats the remedy??just try different meds....a stim mixed with something else might help...

BillW
08-19-09, 11:06 AM
Earlier this year, I was diagnosed with major depression, generalized anxiety, and social anxiety. My doctor prescribed an antidepressant (Cipralex, called Lexapro in the US) that did a good job of killing off the depression and generalized anxiety, and limiting the social anxiety. However, it also limited my emotions the other way also... I felt somewhat numb to everything, and didn't really enjoy any of my usual activities.

Now, while continuing to see my doctor and searching for the causes of my depression/anxiety, ADHD has become the leading contender. I'm seeing a psychiatrist in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, my doctor has added Wellbutrin XL to my medication mix. (It's an atypical antidepressant that tends to have some stimulating effects.) It has made a big difference... I actually feel more energetic and focused, I have more a lot more interest in my hobbies, and I've been acting a lot more outgoing, socially.

I believe that I have ADHD (inattentive type). All the patterns just fit my life too well. My response to the Wellbutrin just reinforces my belief.

So, to answer the original question... yes, I'm pretty sure that for some people, depression does co-exist with ADHD. Further, I believe that ADHD can result in depression, especially for people that have not been able to manage ADHD's adverse effects... either because they didn't know they had ADHD, or because their ADHD treatment has not been effective.

CptNemo
09-20-09, 04:31 PM
In the meantime, my doctor has added Wellbutrin XL to my medication mix. (It's an atypical antidepressant that tends to have some stimulating effects.) It has made a big difference... I actually feel more energetic and focused, I have more a lot more interest in my hobbies, and I've been acting a lot more outgoing, socially.

I believe that I have ADHD (inattentive type). All the patterns just fit my life too well. My response to the Wellbutrin just reinforces my belief.

Hi BillW;

How long did it take for you personally for the WB to kick in,and was it gradual or fast?
Thanks

ADDwriter
09-28-09, 06:07 PM
Thanks!!
He is going to a psychiatrist. He gave him Ixel. Sometime he also says he wants to die.
Not even with antidepression will he ever be motivated in his life to do things that he is not interested in?.

Saying he wants to die sounds very serious to me. I would get the depression under control first. Before anything else.

I have depression and ADD. When your depressed, it's hard enough to do the things you like, much less the things you don't. Before I got on meds, there'd be days that I'd come home from work, get in the shower, turn off the light, and lay in fetal position in the tub for an hour or more. I'd only get out when the hot water ran out. Then I went to bed. I realized I needed help when I started thinking about death a lot. I hadn't gotten to the point where I wanted to die, but I was close.

So when he says he wants to die sets off all sorts of alarms to me. I can't emphasize it enough. Get the depression taken care of.

ADDwriter