View Full Version : ADD & Bi-Polar

daniellealysa
10-09-08, 02:35 PM
Hello out there. Through recent therapy and testing it was discovered that I'm likely an adult with ADD. If you read Dr. Amen at all, I am type 3 - overfocused and type 6 - ring of fire.

Yesterday was my first visit to my GP to discuss this. I was worried that he was not going to listen to me or that he would tell me ADD is just a fad. To the contrary, he was extremely helpful. In our lengthy discussion and review of my medical history (I have suffered with what we labelled simply as "anxiety" since my teens) he said he believes it is likely that I am not only ADD but Bi-Polar as well.

I was surprised to hear this, but it does make quite a lot of sense to me. We have now upped the medicine I was already taking (Effexor) for the time being and I have been given a referral to a psychiatrist who can treat me in more detail.

Part of me is relieved to have some kind of diagnosis- finally I can discover why I feel the way I do and learn how to take care of my health so that I manage with my illness as best as possible.

The other part of me is scared of the stigma of having bi-polar. I told my husband immediately when I came home but I still feel embarassed to talk to him about it more. I haven't told my parents yet and don't really know how to. Furthermore, I do NOT want anyone at my work to know as I feel they will write me off or if I just have a bad day or something they will instantly chalk it up to my being "mentally ill" when in ordinary circumstances they would just think "she's having a rough day." Does that make sense?

Furthermore, I work with kids. I know that my illness doesn't affect the safety of the children - I might be a procrastinator when it comes to planning lessons or something, but the kids are not in danger around me or anything and I'm terrified that someone will think that I shouldn't be able to do my job anymore if they find out.

Does anybody have recommendations or advice for me? I don't know what to do, where to start, etc... I'm just swimming in a sea of new information and I desire to be proactive and manage this as best I can.

Thank you for listening.

ADHDNEWB
10-09-08, 02:51 PM
I to was recently diagnosed with ADHD and bi-polar II disorder. I will just start off by saying that you will find plenty of comfort here. Everyone seems to be pretty knowledgeable. I am still searching endlessly through the forums reading post after post. I haven't really come up with any "true" coping methods yet, so unfortunately I can't help you there. I guess once you get a better understanding of the two issues you have, you will also find that it's easier to talk with people about it - at least that's how it has worked for me. Anyways, welcome to the forums and good luck on your journey!

:D:o:);):cool:

daniellealysa
10-10-08, 01:04 PM
Thank you for your encouragement, I appreciate it! My doctor's office called me already today to tell me that they had an appointment date for me to go in and see a psychiatrist. I was really excited with how fast they were moving so I can start to work on this...until I found out that my appointment is not until April 29th. Now I just feel like my life is on hold and I'll be wandering around for monthns knowing that I am likely bipolar & ADD but not being sure and not being able to get active treatment. How frustrating!

ADHDNEWB
10-10-08, 01:18 PM
I know the feeling! It took me a little over a month to get in as well. Just try and have patience and forget about it - easier said then done. ;) That's what I had to do, or else I would work myself up into a frenzy and that didn't make things any better.

:p

AndyK
10-17-08, 10:48 PM
It may well be both as the 2 often coexist- but the data for this is very thin. I have both but I wonder if the stress caused by the ADD is not the driver for the 2 bipolar incidents I had. Whatever the truth youwill be better when you are more attentive. Furthermore valproate is indicated for both ADD and bipolar and may well aid the effect of stimulants

speedo
10-18-08, 10:25 AM
My mother was bipolar, her father probably was bipolar as well, and my daughter is bipolar. It turns out that I don't have bipolar. My doctor says that it sometimes skips generations. In essence I've lived with bipolar all of my life through my family. I have one observation to make about bipolar disorder and I hope you take it to heart.

A lot of people with bipolar disorder have difficulty with not staying on meds or with drug and alcohol abuse. If you value your sanity stay off the booze and drugs and stay on the medication.

Take your bipolar disorder seriously. Work with your doctor to establish a medication schedule that works for you and stick with it. If you don't take your bipolar disorder seriously, it will own you and in a big way. It can get a lot worse if untreated and it can devastate your family life and personal life.... get on the meds and stay with it.

As I write this my 33 year old daughter has pulled a vanishing act. She developed the onset of bipolar at age 31 and has not been very good about staying on her meds or even going to the doctor for it. As a result her life has degraded to the point that she can't hold a job and has a great deal of difficulty in dealing with reality when she is in her manic phase. Now she has broken off communications with everyone and has essentially dropped off of the radar in terms of having a life.

Whatever you do , don't let this happen to yourself. Take your bipolar disorder seriously and get it treated.

ME :D

AndyK
10-27-08, 07:00 AM
Hello out there. Through recent therapy and testing it was discovered that I'm likely an adult with ADD. If you read Dr. Amen at all, I am type 3 - overfocused and type 6 - ring of fire.

Yesterday was my first visit to my GP to discuss this. I was worried that he was not going to listen to me or that he would tell me ADD is just a fad. To the contrary, he was extremely helpful. In our lengthy discussion and review of my medical history (I have suffered with what we labelled simply as "anxiety" since my teens) he said he believes it is likely that I am not only ADD but Bi-Polar as well.

I was surprised to hear this, but it does make quite a lot of sense to me. We have now upped the medicine I was already taking (Effexor) for the time being and I have been given a referral to a psychiatrist who can treat me in more detail.

Part of me is relieved to have some kind of diagnosis- finally I can discover why I feel the way I do and learn how to take care of my health so that I manage with my illness as best as possible.

The other part of me is scared of the stigma of having bi-polar. I told my husband immediately when I came home but I still feel embarassed to talk to him about it more. I haven't told my parents yet and don't really know how to. Furthermore, I do NOT want anyone at my work to know as I feel they will write me off or if I just have a bad day or something they will instantly chalk it up to my being "mentally ill" when in ordinary circumstances they would just think "she's having a rough day." Does that make sense?

Furthermore, I work with kids. I know that my illness doesn't affect the safety of the children - I might be a procrastinator when it comes to planning lessons or something, but the kids are not in danger around me or anything and I'm terrified that someone will think that I shouldn't be able to do my job anymore if they find out.

Does anybody have recommendations or advice for me? I don't know what to do, where to start, etc... I'm just swimming in a sea of new information and I desire to be proactive and manage this as best I can.

Thank you for listening.

Looking at your post more closely I'd say keep your diagnosis on a strictly need to know basis. Do not tell anyone in the workplace if you can avoid it. Deflect questions. Get your GP to write certificates for you rather than your psychaitrist. When your situation is that you are a known and valued staff member you have more room to be flexible, but continue to be careful who ou tell. I end up talking about it to most of my friends but mostly rstrict it to those times when I feel my experience can be of value to others.

If you think you are worsening while awaiting review go back to your GP- he can seek direct advice or an earlier appoinment if there is a problem.

Finally expect a good result- they are the rule with bipolar rather than the exception.

sweets
10-29-08, 02:06 PM
I can't echo enough what speedo stated above, what her daughter is going through sounds very similar to my case. My mother & grandmother probably was Bi-Polar but never diagnosed.

At age 31 my behavior was getting out of control, I felt like a real life Incredible Hulk. I would snap at the smallest things and if I was drinking I was paranoid to the point I thought everyone was either talking about me or wanted to fight. At work I was very impatient and would also snap at the smallest of issues. My family life suffered to the point if I didn't get help I would have lost my wife and two children and to be honest before getting help I didn't care.

I abused drugs and alcohol and had no reason to-do so, I have a great career beautiful wife and children and everything to live for, but my disorder was threatening to take it all away. I felt depressed all the time to the point I didn't want to get out of bed, couldn't drag myself to go play with my children. All I wanted to do is sleep and avoid the world.

Turning point was when my wife said to either get help or she was leaving with the kids. I agreed to see someone but was very skeptical. After a few sessions with the doc I was diagnosed with Bipolar & ADHD.

Prior to starting the meds I was self medicating with Energy pills, pot, and alcohol. Which none of the self medicating helped with the mania I was going through.

Now six months later I'm on Adderall and Abilify plus Lamictal and Seroquel. I can't tell how badly I needed to-be on these medicines.

So far no side affects on the cocktail of drugs, the Seroquel can make you figidy and unable to sleep if you take to high of a dose, it's one of the worse feelings ever, youíre tired and figidy at the same time. I take 100mg. at bed time

Abilify has been amazing for me for my mania, I didn't realize how much until I went off for about a week b/c my script ran out and I had a bad manic episode. I take 20mg at 7pm.

Lamictal has pretty much wiped out my depression, I'm not overly happy all the time but not depressed to the point I don't want to get out of bed.
I take 200mg at 7pm.

Adderall has made a huge difference in my day to day, what I was self medicating with was the energy pills. My production at work has gone up and my focus is at an all time high. I take 20 mg every morning when I wake up.

Long story short is my doc's drugs are alot better than what I was doing for about 8 years prior.
I donít share my disorder with anyone other than my family, to me itís my business and for the fact I got help was the first step to recovery. I donít feel ashamed I have it, there is nothing I could do about it. I inherited it more than likely and just wish I got help sooner.

Hope this helps someone.