View Full Version : driven to/ delivered from distraction?

jo70mo
10-10-08, 11:59 AM
Hi,
I have seen lots of positive feedbacks about the books driven to distraction and delivered from distraction.
I just wondered if delivered was a newer version of driven to or if there is still stuff to be gained by reading them both?
Thanks for any answers
Jo

Manoa
10-11-08, 08:44 PM
Before my diagnosis Driven to Distraction was recommended. I immediately ordered it ... then at my doctor's appointment, he recommended Delivered from Distraction.

My doc is also ADD and said that Driven is more about 'how to recognize symptoms' and can be overwhelming to read. He said most of his ADD patients can't get through the book.

When the book came I was hopping all over the place because everything seemed so technical or with case studies that were beyond my diagnosis.

Delivered IS much better. The intro says that it's formatted for someone to jump around. One of the first chapters is called "If you don't read anything else, read this"

jo70mo
10-12-08, 09:23 AM
Thanks for that info.
I don't have a diagnosis yet but will probably get Delivered and maybe later get driven to.
I think I am ADD and my 5 yr old son is ADHD but before we go for any diagnosis (UK) i want to get clearer about different options that we could follow.
Jo

mADD mike
10-13-08, 01:05 PM
Both are excellent. I am not much of a reader, so I ordered them on MP3 format. I got the entire Delivered book on MP3, and the abridged version of Driven. Driven was what I first listened to, and wow did it hit home. Later I picked up Delivered, and it is great too, with much more information since I got the entire thing on MP3 instead of the abridged version.

If you aren't a reader, you can look it up on MP3, just thought you might like to know.

meriellyn
10-13-08, 01:59 PM
Driven is more about what it is and do I have it and all that. Delivered is more about ways to improve your life and deal with symptoms. The info in Delivered is much more up to date as well.

I prefer Delivered and probably won't finish Driven because it's a repeat of a lot of stuff I already know and I'm at a different stage. I was diagnosed three years ago and am more interested in what to do now than whether or not I have it.

Delivered has a lot of good info in it on many areas ADDers deal with. There is also a good "what it is" "do I have it" type section in the beginning too.

Also, as someone without much (typical) hyperactivity, I found more of myself in Women With ADD than Driven to Distraction.
I highly highly recommend that one to anyone with mainly inattentive and not diagnosed as a child. Amazing.