View Full Version : Lamictal for depression? etc..

kwalk
10-15-08, 07:07 PM
I was just prescribed that today, as I have been taking wellbutrin, and somehow I barely respond to stimulants anymore. My psychiatrist said he's seen it happen to people and sometimes theres more of an underlying depression happening, keeping this from occuring, and he's put them on that, resulting it helping them. Either helping just the depression and no need for stimulants or the stimulants with it- I'm not sure if I misread him, blanked out a few things.... He thought lamictal as being one of the strongest anti-depressants.

has anyone been explained this before or benefited from it?

D.B. Cooper
10-15-08, 08:36 PM
Lamictal is a very weird drug and quite subtle. But you'll notice that your depressive low points are much less severe. Its also great for anxiety of all sorts. The problem with it is that it takes forever to get to a therapeutic level dose. Chances are you'll get some wicked side effects while increasing dosages but once you hit a stable dose they go away. Typical side effects are headache, insomnia, lethargy.

I take 200mg a day.

QueensU_girl
10-15-08, 09:02 PM
It is an anticonvulsant used as a mood stabilizer. e.g. for bipolar, for treatment resistant depression, for borderlines who rage, etc.

kwalk
10-15-08, 09:25 PM
ugh... I'm not even really depressed.Why bother? Just another medication to probably screw with the other ones I'm taking. I just am stuck at this point, not being able to study at college because of the ADD and theres no one else around to talk to... who wouldn't be depressed? He gave me doxepin too a few weeks ago, so I'm pretty numbed out. Then today came along with an adderall IR prescription and I used to take this years ago with amazing success, I'm really doubting it will work- I've tried recently - XR,vyvanse,spansules, dex IR, focalin XR, Ritalin IR... nothings working.

D.B. Cooper
10-16-08, 12:21 PM
Sounds like your doctor thinks you may be bi polar if you've been treatment resistant to all those drugs.

Its hard to tell the difference between ADHD and bi-polar 2 people. Especially considering bi-polar people rarely understand how irregular their behaviour is.

meriellyn
10-16-08, 01:09 PM
I absolutely love Lamictal.
It's the only psych med I've ever taken that I've gotten absolutely no side effects from. None.
And I don't feel "different" like with other psych meds. Like better, but different because I can tell I'm on something. With Lamictal, I just feel like me. I only realize how well it really works if I don't take it for a while. All other antidepressants or stabilizers made me feel unlike myself to varying degrees.

I take that and Dexedrine and am happy with both.

The only interaction I've had between Lamictal and another med (and I'm on a buttload of meds) is when I went on birth control, I had to double my dose of Lamictal. No big deal.

kwalk
10-16-08, 03:13 PM
I can't be bipolar- I don't even show signs of being hyper to even fit a hypomanic or manic state, I don't swing into irritable states either... I'm just quiet most of the time in my own little bubble, pretty much seen as calm to everyone else...And I records that go back to elementary school with my attention problems

meriellyn
10-16-08, 04:26 PM
As mentioned above, Lamictal is not *just* used to treat BPD. You don't have to be bipolar to benefit from it.

kwalk
10-16-08, 05:25 PM
I know I was just stating it to D. B. Cooper, but thank you. I have a feeling I may just have a borderline mood that's hard for me to notice, kind of just like bleh, mellow; unfortunately I feel like i've always been more on the chill side, so who knows? I guess i'm giving lamictal a shot, it wont kill me.

CaptainADHD
11-23-08, 05:38 AM
I was just prescribed that today, as I have been taking wellbutrin, and somehow I barely respond to stimulants anymore. My psychiatrist said he's seen it happen to people and sometimes theres more of an underlying depression happening, keeping this from occuring, and he's put them on that, resulting it helping them. Either helping just the depression and no need for stimulants or the stimulants with it- I'm not sure if I misread him, blanked out a few things.... He thought lamictal as being one of the strongest anti-depressants.

has anyone been explained this before or benefited from it?

Your psychiatrist might think you're manic and not depressed. Lamictal is prescribed for treating mania AND depression.

I was on Lamictal for about 6 months. It seemed to work well for me, but IT IS RETARDEDLY EXPENSIVE. $150 FOR GENERIC. LOL? WTF? screw that. Now I'm on generic adderall IR and zoloft. They're cheap as dirt and have proven track records.

Check your recent behavior, and see if any of it matches mania-type stuff. If so, that's probably why your doc put you on it.

Oh, and it will take like 3 months to get you up to your normal dose. Some people get really bad skin rashes all over their bodies when they start on a normal dose.

CaptainADHD
11-23-08, 05:43 AM
Lamictal is a very weird drug and quite subtle. But you'll notice that your depressive low points are much less severe. Its also great for anxiety of all sorts. The problem with it is that it takes forever to get to a therapeutic level dose. Chances are you'll get some wicked side effects while increasing dosages but once you hit a stable dose they go away. Typical side effects are headache, insomnia, lethargy.

I take 200mg a day.

The actual drug information says that it "delays the onset of manic and depressive symptoms" (paraphrase), so I'm not sure if it actually stops the episodes from happening, or just prevents them from cycling as fast.

I stopped taking it when I lost insurance and the pharmacy told me to pay $150 for GENERIC!!!!! pffffft. I told them to keep it.

pADDyjay
11-23-08, 07:30 AM
my 16yo niece has ad/hd and has been on rialin xr for years, she just started having grand mal siezures after trying a few anti convulsants lamictal to the rescue after 3mo. on it no siezure activity :) blessed be lamictal:)

CaptainADHD
11-23-08, 07:59 AM
my 16yo niece has ad/hd and has been on rialin xr for years, she just started having grand mal siezures after trying a few anti convulsants lamictal to the rescue after 3mo. on it no siezure activity :) blessed be lamictal:)

ya imo it's a good drug, but the price is prohibitive.

if you're rich or insured, go for it.

pADDyjay
11-23-08, 08:08 AM
she gets it free:) one of my sisters is the office mgr for the neurologist who treats her so he gives her all the sample packs from the drug reps take care:)