View Full Version : medications for anxiety, already take xanax, what about ssri?

dogtired
10-15-08, 10:55 PM
Any ideas? I took prozac before I knew of the add, now I am wondering what to try next as the xanax works Ok but I would like to "obsess" less.

I am going from vyvanse to regular dexedrine spansules tomorrow.

D.B. Cooper
10-16-08, 12:17 PM
Obsessing/mono focus is pretty typical of taking a stimulant so i would just learn coping mechanisms to change your focus. You're really not going to get a stronger calming reaction from say lexapro than xanax. Xanax is much more potent than any ssri.

Besides treating one side effect of a drug with another drug is bad medicine in general.

ADHDNEWB
10-16-08, 12:54 PM
Yea, xanax is pretty much the strongest benzo you can take - much stronger then any SSRI like Coop said. Be careful with that stuff, it is dangerous due to tolerance levels building quick.

MissMadness
10-16-08, 01:32 PM
I understand where you are coming from. You treat one problem and it agitates another........I take Adderall IR 60 mg. (20mg x 3). I was already on Xanax for panic attacks. But my OCD was much much worse. So my doc added on Prozac. It helped, but not like I wanted. So he added on Clonazepam. It has worked wonders for me. Since Clonazepam is a longer acting Benzo, it helps with my Anxiety and OCD. Use caution with Xanax. It is highly addictive! I have been taking it 10 years for panic attacks. (Not everyday!) But once I started my Adderall, I became dependent on my Xanax for rebound. I would talk to your doctor about what he/she thinks would be a good combo. But you might mention Prozac & Clonazepam combo with your ADHD medication.

Prusilusken
10-16-08, 01:53 PM
Just a thought here:
I have a friend with very severe OCD (No ADD though) and he has just changed meds.
Apart from some SSRI, he's also on Seroquel now. It's an antipsychotic, I think, but it's very good, he likes it a lot, much better than benzos. Maybe that's a way to go about it.

Oh - besides waiting and see how your OCD reacts to the Dex compared to the Vyvance. Maybe you're lucky and the Dex alone is already better. :)

D.B. Cooper
10-16-08, 02:19 PM
An anti-psychotic would make his ADHD meds useless.

kwalk
10-16-08, 02:41 PM
doxepin is good, works for me almost right away.

Prusilusken
10-16-08, 03:45 PM
Oh, okay, bummer...may I ask why?

amu_d
10-16-08, 03:53 PM

That's not entirely accurate. Many people have tried the combo and done well.

In fact, many times the mechanisms are different. An anti-psychotic might reduce the effectiveness dopamine has on receptor X, while stimulants block re-uptake and increase the amount of dopamine available near receptor Y.

amu_d
10-16-08, 03:54 PM
Oh, okay, bummer...may I ask why?

There is no such thing. What he said means there is a possibility anti-psychotics might reduce the effectiveness of stimulants.

Try it out yourself and see. I know many ADHDers with comorbid bipolar that take antipsychotics/mood stabilizers along with a stimulant with good results.

D.B. Cooper
10-16-08, 04:28 PM
That's not entirely accurate. Many people have tried the combo and done well.

From an ancedotal standpoint 25MGs of seroquel will blunt the effect of 20mg of dexedrine enough thats its not even worth taking the dex. We could go into abstract land and pull studies out but it seems rather common sense.

whitestripesfan
10-16-08, 04:31 PM
HI DOG TIRED, have tried a few anti depressants anxiety meds over the years, prozac is good but does add to the anxiety, i find what best works for me is a combo of PROZAC with EFEXOR XR, not sure what the equivalent is in the U.S but find the EFEXOR takes the edge of the FLUOXETINE making me less obsessed,but still able to cope. doctors can be little iffy about prescribing both though, don't know if this is any good for you, as meds can work so differently with different people, its always trial and error im afraid, but i wish you the best in tracking down the right medication. (great name by the way):D

amu_d
10-18-08, 05:47 PM
From an ancedotal standpoint 25MGs of seroquel will blunt the effect of 20mg of dexedrine enough thats its not even worth taking the dex. We could go into abstract land and pull studies out but it seems rather common sense.

Yes, it makes sense why that would happen. However, that won't always hold out. As I said, it depends on the antipsychotic in question. Risperdal won't have the same effects on dexedrine that seroquel will, and so on.

I think we'll both agree that for ADHD with comorbid bipolar disorder, mainstream (non-antipsychotic) mood stabilizers would probably be better since they don't blunt stimulants. Lithium, Valproate, Lamictal, Carbamazepine, Topiramate, Oxcarbazepine, etc...

Prusilusken
10-18-08, 09:16 PM
Cooper and Amu_d: Thanks guys, it's good to know. :)