View Full Version : How many?

Mary
03-19-04, 09:26 PM
How many of you have a weight issue caused by another health problem? My thyroid has been out of whack since November of 2002. I am taking Synthroid but my weight has not gone down. I have cut down on my eating, but still can't lose the weight. Part of my problem is, my other health problems prohibit a lot of excercise. I have Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue.

Now they are also checking for Rheumatoid Arthritis....along with a host of other illnesses.

There are days I feel like I can't win for losing... as the saying goes.

Tara
03-19-04, 11:44 PM
My weight is related to my ADD and anxiety.

Energizer_Bunny
03-20-04, 01:22 AM
Not sure what my weight is related to, other than the love of sugar.

But seriously...........

But I know that in the past my meds caused weight gain. And I know that when I am down with my asthma I am less active. I have also gotten a bulging disc from the car wreck on March 24, 2003 and I am going to have to start doing physical therapy. Hopefully, that will get me in the mode of exercise again, and I just started back on Atkins diet.

I cried Tuesday when I went to the doctors office and found out what I weighed.................

jaimegerise
03-20-04, 01:30 AM
Arg, mine is due to being underactive and compulsive eatting....yeah...ADD and anxiety related here....

Tara
03-20-04, 01:36 AM
I used to be compulsive eater which I think was a way of self medicating my ADD and especially my anxiety.

My biggest problem now is being underactive or even non-active. I'm so resistant to excercising even though I know it's so beneficial for be mentally and physically.

Jellybean
03-20-04, 02:41 AM
I would be the blimp of the world if I did not be careful.
I have a very slow metabolism! (Hypothyroidism)

We don't keep soda or sweetened drinks in our home.
I rarely buy cookies, sweetened cereals, never poptarts etc..

I went on a chocolate binge this winter, I was surrounded by chocoholics, I developed the addiction. I am not buying any though.
I am very hyper and forget to eat. Other times I eat continuosly. My son doesn't care to eat much that helps. But I have to be careful I don't forget to feed him.

I just don't keep anything too deserty around to eat here, just frozen fruit and whip cream and applesauce-unsweetened-. Otherwise I'll eat it all up in the late night.

Oh I also think I am hungry when I am tired, because my body is confused because I don't listen to it and go to sleep. So it sends me feed me signals.

jaimegerise
03-20-04, 02:48 AM
arg when I buy something...I don't know when to stop eatting it...grrrr
like I pay no attention to freaking portions...a bag of cookies will be gone in a day all because of me!!!

wahhhhh

Mary
03-20-04, 06:46 AM
Thank you for responding.. I don't feel so alone now. I hate being this way..and I hate the fact that I can't excercise without pain.

My feet felt like they were going to fall off last night after walking through the hospital!

Draga
03-20-04, 06:49 AM
With My Bad Hips it is hard to excersise and so all I want to do is sit and elevate legs.....that has not helped weight.

Lafnalot
03-20-04, 10:46 AM
I have an eating disorder that is fairly in remission. I was anorexic for long periods of time in my teens and early twenties and then became bulemic. I have so screwed up my metabolism that the effort it takes to lose a few pounds is phenominal. I also had meds that added weight . I am not huge but can stand to look in a mirror I still see what I saw as an active eating disorders patient.

jaimegerise
03-20-04, 02:21 PM
I know I self medicate with food....ack I really think I have a food addiction. :(

Nucking_Futs
03-20-04, 02:46 PM
Thank you for responding.. I don't feel so alone now. I hate being this way..and I hate the fact that I can't excercise without pain.

I might be able to help. A very dear friend of mine has made a deal with the local hotel owning a hot tub. She cleans it and the pool for an exchange she receives an hour of "excercise time" in the hot tub. She say's the water takes a lot of the pressure off her feet and back. And the heat actually relaxes her muscles so she is not so sore when she is done.

Also, check your local YMCA for discount's for low income family discount's (if this should apply to you). They usually have a lot of different water excercise program's.

It's a thought. Hugs.

Now, lol, moderation is the key!!!!!!!!!!!! I have yet to learn that one myself. I am hyperglycemic and I forget to eat a lot of the time. Which result's in headaches, nausea, dizziness and a tight pain in my chest from acid reflux. When this happen's I tend to eat anything in sight in hopes it will raise my blood sugar fast enough and usually not stopping until the pain goes away which I would not have if I didn't forget to eat in the first place. Sheesh.

jaimegerise
03-20-04, 03:34 PM
Weight update....

Those of you who chat in the yahoo room may know this...

My hubby has LONG hair...he's 39 and has had it LONG for about 20 years now. I have always had a weight problem, over 220 lbs as I type, at 5'6".

Well, last night, we were watching a makeover show where this guy who had long hair for a long time cut it off. Me and hubby got to talking, and hubby proposed this....

If I got down to my ideal weight 140-150ish...he said he would cut his hair SHORT! Mind you, this is the person who said he would never cut his hair, and even hates trims. Guess this would be like, can I lose the weight? and if so, can he really get his hair cut? He wanted to make this the deal.

What do y'all think? I do want to get serious about weight loss, but not sure if I should take him up on his offer....

t-bird
03-20-04, 03:41 PM
Maybe if you take the offer it will help motivate you to do it! There seem to be alot of good diets out there nowadays. It could be a fun thing for you.

jaimegerise
03-20-04, 03:48 PM
I've always been overweight to various degrees, but what's really get to me is that I have outgrown all of my smaller clothes.

Hubby even bought me a really kickbooty pair of pants at wal-mart last night that were on clearance for 3 bucks! But I didn't try them till I came home..and I can't button them! arg!!!

ack, y'all just HAD to get me started on the weight topic! :p heh

I'll probably take him up on that...but boy, if I were to lose the weight, and him not cut his hair...I'm gonna cut it off for him! heheheheheeh

t-bird
03-20-04, 04:11 PM
Good luck! Let me know if you need any dieting advice, I might be able to help.

Nucking_Futs
03-20-04, 04:18 PM
I actually think it's a wonderful idea. I have been able to lose 100 pnds this year alone. OK I cheated I had a baby and was really, really sick and lost the first 65 during pregnancy lol. But, hubby proposed that if I got down to my goal 160 he would buy me a new wardrobe. Hey, I'm up for it. I also made the deal with hubby to lose weight if he can lose 50 pnds in one year I will buy him another shotgun as if he needs it but hey he's motivated. I say if it works for you go for it. Plus, it's easier when more than one person is involved in the program, when I feel lazy he doesn't and pushes me to keep going, when he is feeling lazy I don't and push him along. Heaven forbid we should feel lazy at the sametime.

Tara
03-20-04, 04:18 PM
Jaime just make your if you do lose the weight that you do it for "YOU".

Tara
03-20-04, 04:20 PM
I spent most of my childhood and teen years trying to be "bribed" into losing weight. It never worked for me. It just made me feel worse about myself when I didn't succeed.

jaimegerise
03-20-04, 04:26 PM
Well, the fact that my clothes don't fit should be motivation enough...considering I have no money to go buy more...and I don't want more fat lady clothes anyway hehehe

Nucking_Futs
03-20-04, 04:37 PM
Ya know Tara has a very valid point. Do it for YOU first and as far as the new wardrobe and gun go. We put away $10 a piece a week. It's easier in small chunks then trying to do it all at once.

Do it first for your health and yourself then get hubbies hair cut. lol

Tara
03-20-04, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by jaimegerise
Well, the fact that my clothes don't fit should be motivation enough...considering I have no money to go buy more...and I don't want more fat lady clothes anyway hehehe

If only that worked for me...lol

It goes so far beyond motivation :uhh:

Nucking_Futs
03-20-04, 04:45 PM
I have had to FORCE myself but having been able to come off heart meds was enough to keep me motivated not to mention the fact that the less I weigh the better I feel mentally, physically and spiritually (not referring to religious beliefs). It's all about how you see yourself I honestly think. I had a hard time at first motivating because I saw myself as a fat slob and would alway's be a fat lazy slob. You have to change your mentality and man it is the hardest part wish I had advice on that one to share. The only thing I can think to add to that is I truly believe it comes down to learning to love and accept yourself. If you can't love yourself at 200 you won't love yourself at 100.

Jellybean
03-20-04, 07:56 PM
I would lose weight for a man if he grew his hair! I lllove long hair!
By the way, Cherity I am hypoglycemic also. And identify with your post.

Nucking_Futs
03-20-04, 11:22 PM
Thank goodness not many ppl can understand how a person can FORGET to eat. I'm hungry life just keep's getting in my way lol.

Mary
03-22-04, 10:46 PM
I just wanted to say.. good luck to those who are dieting now.. maybe with spring getting closer I will be able to walk a little more.. with some kind of help.

I also want to tell you Tara that I love your new picture.

Mary
03-24-04, 08:49 PM
:D Has lost 5 pounds :D

Nucking_Futs
03-25-04, 12:22 AM
woohoo Mary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary
03-25-04, 08:54 PM
I know.. I felt so good that I had lost it.. I had been avoiding the scales like the plague.

kat_in_mich
03-31-04, 09:54 PM
boy can i click with everything everyone has to say on this topic....i am 30 and have just hit about 310 but to look at my pic that was taken just a few days ago, you really wouldnt think it....TYG
anyhow i have tried everything and of course my mom and dad are no help because they tell me.."well you did it when you were younger you can do it now." i went from a size 26 to a 14 in one summer when i was 19.....over 10 yrs ago.
sometimes i wonder...do they even realise i have hit 30...seemingly the point of no return....but my problem is that i am addicted to Mountain Dew and i am a boredom eater...if i am bored i eat and i am also a emotional eater...if i am sad or upset i eat....and i LOVE sweets....can eat a whole box of cookies at 7 in the morning or ice cream or cake ....whatever....i dont like alot of candy it is the pastry stuff that is just as bad.
i try to exercise but it hurts so badly, my back, hips, ankles, ect...and then the burn hits and i know i should keep going but i cant. would love to have a exercise buddy/support person up here but i am sooo far from so many people.
anyhow that is my story on my weight....and it all started when i got pregnant with my daughter.....went from 175 to 281 in 9 mos...it sucked and i havent been able to get it off since....been looking into gastric bypass very seriously.
anyhow hugs and luv to you all

ffmickey
03-31-04, 10:27 PM
Well I agree with everyone. I would love to loose the weight and all and like mary said now that the spring is coming I am hoping not to be in the house that much with the boys. I am hoping to be going on bike rides an awful lot with them along with taking them to the park to play.

I have also thought about going back to Medical Weight Loss Clinic where my hubby and I have a Lifetime membership and it helped me once before I got preg. with my oldest son and I am sure it will help me again.

I have a very hard time doing things by myself and I have been looking for someone to join me on doing it and I have a possibilty from a lady at the Knights of Columbus that is looking for a way of loosing weight as well so her and I might do this together.

Well that is my story. I have not really gained anything but I am not loosing it eighter and I really don't eat much either.

kat_in_mich
03-31-04, 10:46 PM
that is something that i really need to do mickey...get together with someone locally and walk...they leave the doors open to the school for several hours after school is out and i know alot of ppl have walked around the school and lost weight doing it. have been allowing it for years. hoping that once the weather warms up a little more i can get kids and hunny to go walking with me down the road.....about a half mile and back....or can even walk to my parents house which is a mile and a half one way....that would be a workout in itself....well wish me luck and we are gonna TRY to change eating habits but is so hard cause kids like to fend for themselves on weeknights....toast, grilled cheese, frozen waffles, ect... and on the weekends we have family meals. so is hard to shop for everyone. any tips please let me know

Nucking_Futs
04-01-04, 08:54 AM
AWWW shucks hubby weighs 100 pnds more than I do...someone pass the cheesecake lol

kat_in_mich
04-01-04, 09:38 AM
LOL futs...Mmmm cheesecake...what is scary is my guy weights about 40 lbs less than i do...so needless to say we could both use to lose a little weight....my ideal is about 150 and so i have about 160 lbs to go. like i said in an earlier post, if anyone has any suggestions on how to get it off, and keep it off it would be appreciated. and does anyone know anything about the whole gastric bypass thing....i know several ppl who have had it done and i know it works but it means giving up carbonated drinks, and starches, and alot of stuff that i really enjoy...i guess i have to think on what is more important....eating the things i like or being around for my family...cause if something isnt done now i am afraid i will end up with heart problems by the time i am 35.

Nucking_Futs
04-01-04, 04:54 PM
about the whole gastric bypass thing

Kat,

I would seriously consider NOT having this done. I have heard some good but a lot more bad about it.

You mentioned serveral area's that are also my fault's. I lived on Mountain Dew--water? eeek noooo way!!!! What I did there was cut how much pop I drank down slowly. I started drinking a can every two hour's then every three and so on until I'm down to a can at supper (I'm not giving that one up). By doing this alone I lost about 15 pnds the first 3 month's. Eat slowly, and eat appropriate size proportion's. Munch on vegtables while cooking and keep fresh fruit and vegtables cut up and ready for a snack.

Walk, be persistant about it. I don't let myself log on to the computer which my favorite past time until I have walked at least a mile.

I'm down from 220 before I was pregnant to 175 in less then a year.

kat_in_mich
04-01-04, 04:58 PM
wow futs that is awesome....i will definately consider this....the biggest thing about the walking and such is that i am always so tired and unmotivated....if i need inspiration will you help me? i know there are lots of miles but if i get discouraged do you think you could be my support person....pleeeaaassseee???? and anyone else who would like to help me.

Mary
04-09-04, 09:53 PM
I doubt if I lost any weight this week, but I was able to get out and do some light excercise (walking around the yard) without too much trouble.

JCKCC
04-11-04, 07:27 PM
Kat and Mary, walking will hurt for a bit, till you get use to it. I myself, don't walk as much as I should. By the time I get home from work, my feet are killing me. But, I am also trying to lose weight. For two medical reasons. I found when my kids were younger, the best exercise to do with them, was to put Craig in the stroller and Jodie walking beside me. We walked all over town. They are to old for that now, being as they have families of their own. I really should get to walking along our road, but, sometimes, it is like living on I-69, lol. We live around a lake and the traffic is bad in the summer. We need to encourage each other, even if we can't be there in person. Prayers for each of us to reach our goals.;)

fasttalkingmom
04-12-04, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Lafnalot
I have an eating disorder that is fairly in remission. I was anorexic for long periods of time in my teens and early twenties and then became bulemic. I have so screwed up my metabolism that the effort it takes to lose a few pounds is phenominal. I also had meds that added weight . I am not huge but can stand to look in a mirror I still see what I saw as an active eating disorders patient.

Wow ! this sounds very much like me, expect for being bulemic and I am huge now :cry:

Nucking_Futs
04-13-04, 05:29 PM
Of course I'll keep you motivated Kat...GET OFF THAT COMPUTER AND GET YOUR BUTT WALKING GIRL NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How was that?

kat_in_mich
04-13-04, 07:42 PM
that is great futs....and JCK....i have no excuse we live on a dirt road and there is very little traffic...even in the summer when we have fudgies and canoers coming up. it is just the fact that i think i am afraid i am gonna get so far and not be able to get back....sometimes it hurts to walk through walmart. now that is sad...LOL

but yes like jck said we have to encourage each other. i am gonna try to get on a diet and stick to it. the thing with me is i get so bored and there is so much the kids wont eat. and i hate having to cook more than one meal...and these are all just a bunch of excuses arent they????

NeuroticGoddess
07-29-04, 03:15 PM
I have been diagnosed with PCOS, Metabolic Syndrome and Insulin Resistance which goes hand in hand with the ability to gain, but not drop weight. I now take Metformin for my PCOS and IR, and since starting have lost 35 lbs. Weight has always been very frustrating and an obsession for me since so much of my self-image is tied into my weight. I never was a 24/7 gorge myself kind of gal, I could eat less than anyone else and still gain. Always say I can look at a piece of chocolate cake and gain 5 lbs. LOL :D

P_Stampy
09-24-04, 12:37 AM
Its easy to forget to eat.. ure just too busy having fun and doing something that u forget.

pembroke
11-14-04, 11:54 PM
I was just going to say.... i realize this is an older thread, but Futs, I can understand how you can forget to eat. I do it, too. I really try to eat 3 healthy meals a day, because if I don't, by the time dinner rolls around, I can't make myself stop eating. And being tired doesn't help - that makes me hungry and cold.
My daughter wants Winsor Pilates for her birthday and has made me promise to do the exercises with her. Do I need to add we haven't gotten the tape, yet?

Nucking_Futs
11-15-04, 03:01 PM
that is great futs....and JCK....i have no excuse we live on a dirt road and there is very little traffic...even in the summer when we have fudgies and canoers coming up. it is just the fact that i think i am afraid i am gonna get so far and not be able to get back....sometimes it hurts to walk through walmart. now that is sad...LOL

but yes like jck said we have to encourage each other. i am gonna try to get on a diet and stick to it. the thing with me is i get so bored and there is so much the kids wont eat. and i hate having to cook more than one meal...and these are all just a bunch of excuses arent they????

Kat before you start changing your body learn to love yourself or you can end up in a self destructive pattern of never being good enough, pretty enough, skinny enough. You shop at walmart silly they have tv dinners for under a buck, make dinner after your kids have tried it and still won't eat it then let them nuke their own meal. My kids have started eating foods they thought were disgusting or they eat soggy pizza, the choice is their's.

Nucking_Futs
11-15-04, 03:04 PM
I was just going to say.... i realize this is an older thread, but Futs, I can understand how you can forget to eat. I do it, too. I really try to eat 3 healthy meals a day, because if I don't, by the time dinner rolls around, I can't make myself stop eating. And being tired doesn't help - that makes me hungry and cold.
My daughter wants Winsor Pilates for her birthday and has made me promise to do the exercises with her. Do I need to add we haven't gotten the tape, yet?

UMMM no...I'm having a hard time with my daughter right now and her self image. A little jiggle in your meat could/should be beautiful, it's all about how you carry yourself and how much you respect and love yourself. My daughter see's Christina Agulara and other models, actress' and wants to be just like them...as if being a size 1 is going to bring happiness. :(