View Full Version : Is Melatonin safe for people with ADHD?

bandie08
10-17-08, 07:26 AM
It takes me until 2 am to fall asleep. My doctor suggested that I take 1-2 pills 4 hours before bed time. Is melatonin safe?

Retromancer
10-17-08, 02:38 PM
It's both safe and inexpensive. It works best when taken on a regular basis. I take it to ensure that I don't end up awake at 2 a.m. ...

em123
10-24-08, 09:22 PM
I have ADD and I'm on dex, I take melatonin quite often to fall asleep its def the greatest thing ever. Just a heads up I'm not sure about everyone else but when I take melatonin it normaly makes me sleep like 8 hours, so make sure you give your self the right amount of time for sleep.

anonone
11-11-08, 10:36 PM
So, when you wake up after using it (with 8 hours of sleep), do you feel crisp and refreshed, or is there somewhat of a groggieness or hang over associated with it?

I'm looking to suppliment only if it improves my overall qualitiy of sleep and if it makes me overall less sleepy through out the day.

Howard_C
11-11-08, 11:51 PM
It should make it easier for you to fall asleep. It more or less puts you in the "mood" to sleep - it will usually induce yawning, for example. But you can take it and still stay awake - it doesn't really make you overly drowsy.

The quality of sleep will vary from person to person. For me it was the same as usual. Some people find it causes more vivid dreams - or dreams they can remember better.

Also - a recent study found that all you need is about 0.2 mg. The pills are usually 2.0 mg. I only take about 1/6 of one tab at a time (that's about 0.33 mg), when I use it. You can experiment - its considered harmless harmless.

It hasn't been well studied because it is considered a food supplement (and not a drug).

Retromancer
11-12-08, 12:06 AM
Melatonin is not a "sleeping pill". It should improve your quality of sleep and hence you should feel less sleepy during the day. Unlike many sleep aids it doesn't interfere with REM sleep, in fact as noted there is a tendency to have vivid dreams when taking it. I haven't experienced a chemical hang-over or grogginess when waking.

So, when you wake up after using it (with 8 hours of sleep), do you feel crisp and refreshed, or is there somewhat of a groggieness or hang over associated with it?

I'm looking to suppliment only if it improves my overall qualitiy of sleep and if it makes me overall less sleepy through out the day.

Howard_C
11-12-08, 11:52 AM
Melatonin is not a "sleeping pill".

Right. Basically it helps to tell the body it is "ok" to go to sleep.

We usually produce melatonin (internally) in response to darkness, for example.

It is associated with our circadian rhythms. Taking it may help "reset" that rhythm, but from my experience it's only helpful to a certain degree.

I think it can also work as a placebo also. But that's not a bad thing.

quallagirl
11-12-08, 12:19 PM
I wonder if the affectiveness depends on the brand. I started taking melatonin over a year ago. Well I had bought some from the Vitamin Shoppe. It was only 1mg and it worked ok. For a while I stopped taking it when got on my meds(ambien cr being one of them). Anyway, about 3 months ago, I finsihed the 1 mg bottle. It really helped me fall asleep and sleep during the night.

Well, I just bought some more which is 5mg and is the CVS brand. I noticed that I get sleepy but I can't stay asleep. Does this have something to do with the brand? I would expect 5mg to work better.

Tonya

Howard_C
11-12-08, 05:09 PM
It could be you are taking too much. At least for regular use.

Elizabeth A. Thomson, News Office
March 1, 2005

A new study by MIT scientists and colleagues confirms that melatonin is an effective sleep aid for older insomniacs and others. Misuse of the hormone had led some to question its efficacy, but the latest work (published in the February issue of Sleep Medicine Reviews) could jump-start interest in the dietary supplement and help more people get a good night's sleep.

In earlier research, scientists led by Professor Richard Wurtman, principal investigator for the current study, showed that only a small dose of melatonin (about 0.3 milligrams) is necessary for a restful effect. Taken in that quantity, it not only helps people fall asleep, but also makes it easier for them to return to sleep after waking up during the night--a problem for many older adults.

The researchers also found, however, that commercially available melatonin pills contain 10 times the effective amount. And at that dose, "after a few days it stops working," said Wurtman, director of MIT's Clinical Research Center and the Cecil H. Green Distinguished Professor. When the melatonin receptors in the brain are exposed to too much of the hormone, they become unresponsive.

anonone
11-12-08, 06:25 PM
I didn't take any last night, but I had really vivid dreams. Kindof an odd thing, maybe the idea of changing the way you sleep makes you more observant of your dreams? I also slept in for an exam this morning (after taking 5mg of dex earlier that morning after a pee break) I've got to make some changes, hopefully melatonin works on my quality of sleep.

...a little off topic but... There was a dog out side a house in the city, he was tied up to something and couldn't quite reach the door (it was the unfriendly kind of dog by preminition, btw). At some point some random woman came by and added slack to the dog's leash, and later after that the dog was completely off the leash and inside the house. I lead him to the back window and got him to jump safely to the ground. (now that I think about it, this dog doesn't seem like much of a bad dog at all...)
=/

I don't like to take things before I know exactly what negative side effects I should fear. Does anyone know what the side effects are, and also when they say "Misuse of the hormone"... do they mean, people end up taking it constantly because being asleep is way better than being awake, or is there a more addictive element to the 'feel' of it?