View Full Version : Depression came back and I didn't even know it!

KatInOuterSpace
10-18-08, 02:33 AM
I was diagnosed with Depression about a year before ADHD and about 2 years ago in all.

I was put on 20 mg of Lexapro for a year than gradually went down to 10 mg then 5 mg then off. That didn't work out so well and a couple of weeks later I was back on 10 mg.

This was a few months ago and I guess I was slipping slowly back into it. I saw my Doc today and I was a mess! I thought it was just not being able to find the right ADHD med, but she thought it sounded more like my Depression was back.

She was right - I upped my Lexapro dosage back to 20 mg today and had almost instant relief.

I didn't realize how low I had gotten. It sucks to be back at my original dosage, but I feel SO much better, it's seriously like night and day. Hopefully eventually I can get off of Lexapro, but for now I'm just glad to feel not in such despair anymore!

kwalk
11-18-08, 11:57 PM
I'm glad to see that things worked out, I am in the same situation.Yet haven't gotten the right med to work with my mood, well I thought the one I originally took in high school was not letting my stimulant work, had I upped that dose things might of been different :/.

It's weird though huh? You can't tell if you're suppose to be feeling the way you do, as it almost takes all your stimulation, and it's always been there a "little bit" so you think it's you. The worst part is, the next day you forget when you tried to implement thinking positive, and you're all convinced the negative thoughts are your life.

Bluerose
11-19-08, 09:40 PM
That’s the thing with depression. You don’t realise how far down you went until you are on your way back up. It pays to be gentle with yourself. Take care.

Wisefolly
01-08-09, 03:48 AM
Thatís the thing with depression. You donít realise how far down you went until you are on your way back up. It pays to be gentle with yourself. Take care.

That is so true. In my case, sometimes realizing it can send me spiraling down again. I'm finally seeing a therapist though, so now I have some support with that.

I'm going to call a new psychiatrist as well. I also thought I was having issues with the ADD, but like the op it was really the depression, and my doc didn't even notice. I've been with this doc for years, and I don't think we "click." It's time to move on. This is the same doctor that didn't figure out that I might be gifted or that I might have learning disabilities. Never even brought it up. I'm ready to make positive changes now though!

(sorry for the hijack... ooops!)

kwalk
01-08-09, 04:45 PM
hey did you get tested for learning disabilities? Sometimes you don't have them and it's just the ADD. It's hard to tell though until you get treatment.

Wisefolly
01-08-09, 05:22 PM
hey did you get tested for learning disabilities? Sometimes you don't have them and it's just the ADD. It's hard to tell though until you get treatment.

The short answer is yes, and I'm twice exceptional. I'm sending you a PM with the long answer because I realized it would derail the thread. (Cut and paste is my friend. :))

apinkpony
01-11-09, 12:46 AM
... this is the same story with me. Around the time I got back on ADHD meds, I started getting depressed. I didnt think I was depressed, just thought it was paranoia caused by the wrong meds. I've finally just been able to admit to myself that no, really I am depressed. I can't believe how bad it is. I went from having tons of friends (at college) to sitting in my dorm room completely alone. My best friend doesnt even come talk to me. I think if they didn't feel bad I'd probably not even have anyone to eat dinner with. I feel so lost, so alone. I kept having this physical pain in my chest, I thought there was something wrong with me. Then I realized... yeah. Depression.

Okay. Not thread jacking. Just saying your not alone. Last time I was depressed I was in high school. It was for the same reasons I am now... overwhelmed w/ school, feeling as though my old friends ditched me for new people (not sure if its true this time, but last time it wasn't--my old friends actually felt like I didnt want to be friends anymore). Ah. I hate it. I need to talk to my psych. :( Ok! Happy :)

OnlyMe
01-11-09, 01:26 AM
Yep, just went back on Celexa a couple months ago myself; it's my third time and the doc told me gently that this probably means I should expect it to be a lifelong thing now. Dang. Oh well, I've already worn glasses my whole life; this isn't all that different really.