View Full Version : xanax xr versus klonopin

dogtired
10-21-08, 12:12 AM
I have anxiety aside from add, curious as to which of these meds people seem to use more? Both see Ok for me, xanax appears better fro the anxiety and less tiring, just worried about the stories about xanax. I took klonopin for years before finding out about the add and never had addiction or dose changes.

ADHDNEWB
11-07-08, 06:01 PM
Xanax is much more effective IMO. I think Xanax is only suppose to be taken for 6 weeks unless other wise directed by a doctor - tolerance builds fast. Either way, they are both benzos and can be very dangerous.

I was addicted to Xanax for ten years and it destroyed my life. I started out taking it in normal doses and before I knew it I was spiraling down a deep tunnel.

Be careful with whatever route you choose.

busyhermit
11-07-08, 10:04 PM
I take a small regular dose of Klonopin daily (.5mg 3x/day), and it helps a great deal with my anxiety. I do want to say that I've had this anxiety all of my life, and have tried a variety of medications throughout my life to no avail. So despite the risks, under a pdoc's care I started the Klonopin this year.

I have an addictive nature - so this worried me, and my pdoc was pretty clear about the fact that she would end it immediately if I appeared to be abusing them. So I have been very VERY determined to take them exactly as prescribed and no more. So far I have been successful at that. There's been a time or two when I was tempted to try more, but I was able to resist - knowing that it's the only medication that's ever helped me and I don't want to mess that up.

I remember experiencing sleepiness in the beginning, but it's not something I notice anymore.

As for Xanax, I've never taken it - but I've heard/read that it's a stronger drug - generally having a greater sedating effect. At least that's what I've seen in people who take it. I don't know what kind of dose they were on, though.

Tominal
11-18-08, 03:53 PM
Xanax hits hard and fast and the effects fade pretty quickly; klonopin takes awhile to start working and the effects last much longer. They are both benzos, and as such are both capable of inducing incredible physical dependance in many people with regular use--and it doesn't always take very long to happen.

Handle like you would a rattlesnake.

Physical dependance is a purely physiological phenomenon and has nothing whatsoever to do with traditional notions of "addiction," although some people do actually crave benzos as others would opiates, alcohol, etc. My point is that the drug doesn't care if you take it as prescribed or you buy them from the guy down the street; the snake can bite anyone if given the opportunity.

They can both be extremely effective drugs for stopping anxiety symptoms dead in their tracks, but regular use can leave you chained to a pill bottle for a long time, and withdrawal for many people is extremely difficult.

Quitting valium was by far the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life. I took it for 5 years for GAD and never even took the full daily dose that was prescribed for me (30mg./day, which is roughly equivalent in potency to 1.5mg. of either Xanax or Klonopin). The taper took me almost 2 years; that's how slow I had to go to keep symptoms low enough that I could function at work.

Regular use is what got me though; I took it every day. Many people take this stuff for years on an "as needed" basis and never have any trouble (unless "as needed" turns out to be "every day"). There are also those who can quit benzos with minimal discomfort even after long term/high dose use. The problem is that you never know ahead of time whether withdrawal will be relatively easy or hellish.

Don't blame the snake though; it is it's nature to bite.

Best,
-tom

57Mutt
12-06-08, 07:56 PM
what is the half life of each?

does xanax xr still kick in faster than klonopin does?

i have and still take a small dose of klonopin

if the xanax xr kicks in faster and lasts as long that may be a godsend.

these drugs can be hell to go off of cold turkey