View Full Version : lowest Xanax dose w/o addiction

kiosk
10-21-08, 12:02 PM
I am currently on Adderrall for ADD but also have GAD on occassion which I cant quite always control....I take Xanax very rarely if close to a panic attack, whats the lowest dose/frequency one can take w/o concern of dependence or addicition?
the most I have taken in a week period is three days spread out, no more than 0.25mg a day

bobC
10-21-08, 02:33 PM
For me stimulants produce a mild generalized anxiety. I generally notice myself chewing on my fingernails when this occurs. Unfortunatly it makes my social anxiety worse.

Recently I've found a few things which seem to reduce this generalized anxiety.

1. Aerobic exercise

2. Magnesium (highly bio-available chelated). a bit fatiguing

3. Eye drops containing naphzoline - Clear Eyes (Maximum redness relief).

not sure why the eye drops work (could be a placebo). I found it in a list regarding chronic fatigue.

BobC

runinl8
10-21-08, 02:36 PM
I tried Xanax but even taking a half pill would knock me out like a light.

meriellyn
10-21-08, 02:50 PM
There's no set rules for this.

That's a low infrequent dose though. I wouldn't worry about it unless you start having problems with it.

I take .25mg - .5mg occasionally for GAD and .5mg - 1mg if I start to have a panic attack or when my insomnia gets ridiculously bad.

For a while, a few years ago, I took .25mg 2x daily and .5mg at night. I never had any dependency problems.

I've taken Xanax here and there for years with no problems with dependency, addiction, or abuse.

BTW, if you're having frequent anxiety issues on Adderall, you might consider giving Dexedrine a try. It doesn't exacerbate my GAD like Adderall.

Contrapunctus
10-21-08, 03:54 PM
It can take up to two months of daily usage for a true physical dependency to develop with the short acting benzos like xanax, although a psychological dependency can form far quicker, especially if you are prone to dependency.

Of course, three days a week at the dosages you mentioned pose little risk of physical dependency.

njcat
07-13-09, 09:57 PM
I've been taking very low doses of xanax on and off for years. I do not take it everyday, I go months without it.
However when I have periods of extreme anxiety I do use it.

The most I will take while on adderall is about .75 mgs, if my anxiety is through the roof (I am also currently suffering from depression and anxiety, as well as ADD although the official diagnosis has not been made regarding ADD. I see my doc Wed again)

I've never gotten addicted.
While not on adderall, I've taken .25, 1/2 mg, 1/2 XR, and at one time I was taking more than I'd ever want to take but only for a week or two (1mg XR maybe 2).

I never got addicted when taking it as prescribed. I never like to take enough to feel like a zombie. Just to take the edge off. But that was mostly in my non-adderall days.
I'm not sure it's anymore addictive than adderall. I could be wrong.

I take it so infrequently that I have leftover xanax from a year or two ago.

tomlinson
07-13-09, 11:49 PM
Richard Pryor once famously said about another addictive drug, cocaine:
"You can't get addicted to no coke...I got a friend, he's been doin' coke every day for fifteen years, and he ain't addicted!"

On a serious note, I prefer Klonopin to Xanax.
I find it to be both more effective and more "forgiving" than Xanax.

muldoon
07-19-09, 04:58 AM
I am currently on Adderrall for ADD but also have GAD on occassion which I cant quite always control....I take Xanax very rarely if close to a panic attack, whats the lowest dose/frequency one can take w/o concern of dependence or addicition?
the most I have taken in a week period is three days spread out, no more than 0.25mg a day

You're nowhere near dependence. Dosage or frequency wise. You have a better chance of becoming "addicted" to NyQuil.

Please do not be AFRAID of a benzo like Xanax. Respect it and use as directed and exert self-discipline.

I must take 2mg per day of the extended release Xanax. SSRIs destroyed me.
If it were not for Xanax, there were numerous times on recall where I'd have ended my life. I will most likely be on it until my dying day.

PinK~Cloud
07-27-09, 03:53 PM
you can get physically addicted to xanax at any dose. withdrawals include seizure and in the most extreme cases, death(tho you're no where close to that point.) if you truly don't want to get addicted i'd suggest only using when needed. 3 times a week won't leave you physically addicted, it's just impossible.

muldoon
07-28-09, 06:09 AM
you can get physically addicted to xanax at any dose. withdrawals include seizure and in the most extreme cases, death(tho you're no where close to that point.) if you truly don't want to get addicted i'd suggest only using when needed. 3 times a week won't leave you physically addicted, it's just impossible.

You can also become physically "addicted" to SSRIs, SNRIs, alcohol, otc sedatives, insulin and Tylenol PM, as stopping these substances abruptly generates physical discomfort of some kind.

Withdrawals CAN include seizure, if you stop a benzo cold turkey at high doses after prolonged use. It doesn't guarantee one. Death? Maybe if you're addicted to the high that goes beyond therapeutic use, taking 10+ mgs daily, suddenly run out and refuse any kind of medical care duing the withrawal. Posting things like this trying to scare people away from a medication that could help them profoundly makes no sense to me.

If you must use a benzo, then you must use a benzo. This is a decision between a patient and the doctor. Use them properly and as directed, and only to eliminate anxiety that doesn't respond to anything else. You're not going to automatically become a slave to them for life. Alot of people have this idea and it just isn't true. We are not talking about heroin or cocaine. We're talking about the responsible use of a legal substance that allows people to function normally by taking away a feeling that can become so crippling to everyday life that one could easily ponder ending it.

BowTech
09-02-09, 06:05 PM
I realize the original thread is very old, but feel that it is a good topic.

I was prescribed 9 mg's Xanax a day for about six months. I took a single 3 mg XR in the morning, followed by three 2 mg IR's throughout the day. I was able to quit within nine days (although I strongly advise no one to do this). My doctor knew, and he monitored me VERY closely. The only side effects I had were occasional slight vertigo, as well as a slight slur when talking. The side effects went away within a month. I was on Xanax for a total of ten months.

I have a friend (much older) that is prescribed 0.25 mg's 3x a day. She only takes half of each pill, which brings the total to 0.375 mg's a day. She has been taking this amount for two years, and although not addicted to them, has become dependent on them.

As this proves, each person is different. The amount and length of time one is on the medication do have a great affect on the potential for addiction, although it certainly is not the sole factor. Benzos can be great, but they can also ruin lives. As long as you really need them, you should have no problem.

Trooper Keith
09-02-09, 06:20 PM
There is no dose that you can regularly take that won't result in some form of dependence developing. However, you're taking it infrequently, and taking it infrequently is the best way to avoid dependence.

tudorose
09-03-09, 03:46 AM
I've just been prescribed this about an hour ago. I always feel nervous about new medication coz of being treated like a lab rat when I had PTSD and ending up in hospital from all the contridictions. Does anyone know how xanax at the lowest dose will react with luvox and dexamphetamine?

muldoon
09-06-09, 05:07 AM
I've just been prescribed this about an hour ago. I always feel nervous about new medication coz of being treated like a lab rat when I had PTSD and ending up in hospital from all the contridictions. Does anyone know how xanax at the lowest dose will react with luvox and dexamphetamine?

Impossible to tell. The only way you'll know is by trying. I take dex and xanax daily without problems. Odds are that it will relieve your anxiety/panic and might make you tired and a little uncoordinated at first. Read the script packet for warnings.

muldoon
09-06-09, 05:10 AM
I realize the original thread is very old, but feel that it is a good topic.

I was prescribed 9 mg's Xanax a day for about six months. I took a single 3 mg XR in the morning, followed by three 2 mg IR's throughout the day. I was able to quit within nine days (although I strongly advise no one to do this). My doctor knew, and he monitored me VERY closely. The only side effects I had were occasional slight vertigo, as well as a slight slur when talking. The side effects went away within a month. I was on Xanax for a total of ten months.

I have a friend (much older) that is prescribed 0.25 mg's 3x a day. She only takes half of each pill, which brings the total to 0.375 mg's a day. She has been taking this amount for two years, and although not addicted to them, has become dependent on them.

As this proves, each person is different. The amount and length of time one is on the medication do have a great affect on the potential for addiction, although it certainly is not the sole factor. Benzos can be great, but they can also ruin lives. As long as you really need them, you should have no problem.

Do you have panic disorder/OCD? Did you have any lasting side effects at that dose?

That is a TON of Xanax every day and is usually only seen w/ people who have severe panic disorder.

michael117
09-18-09, 01:39 PM
Physical dependence to benzodiazepines develops after 6 weeks of consistent, daily use (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_dependence#Physical_dependence). I'm prescribed klonopin 1mg tablets to take 1 or 1.5 daily but only take them as needed as was once written on my prescription from my pdoc. I think I might have even read that 2-3 weeks of daily use of klonopin can produce some physical dependence so I take breaks on the weekends, every other day, or just whenever I feel I don't really need it. Despite this, I do develop a tolerance to the dosage's effects like I do with adderall but I don't become physically dependent since I understand how it works.

I have a combination of social anxiety and general anxiety (few panic attacks in the past) and an effective alternative treatment that doesn't involve medication is cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). I saw somewhere that a study has shown the most effective treatment for anxiety is a combination of CBT with benzodiazepines. I think this works because benzodiazepines chemically lower your inhibitions (like when you drink... actually, they work on the same receptors) and then you are temporarily void of anxiety and force yourself to face what gave you anxiety and break down that barrier in your mind and store it as new memory. While I can't afford CBT (haven't checked prices, but I'd imagine it would be out of my realm), I take klonopin only when I know I'll be encountering anxiety. I later start to find myself not needing to take the klonopin in those situations because my brain is over it, like how one may be terrified of a new rollercoaster but then ride it, love it, and no longer fear it.

Klonopin is similar to xanax but with a longer half life, smoother onset, more clearheaded (IMO), and has muscle relaxant properties. It works wonderfully with adderall. I take adderall to keep me on task and productive while klonopin keeps me from stressing over other work or issues that aren't pertinent at that time.