View Full Version : Child with ADHD and possible Depression?

Brandye
10-22-08, 12:42 PM
Hello!
I have a 10 yr old who has ADHD, off meds. We thought that these issues were side effects from the stimulants. He has irritability, moodiness, and just grouchy most of the time. He is happy, when things are going his way. When he gets to do fun things like hunt or play football. He has been like this for yrs. It seemed to get better off meds during the summers. His therapist suggested he might be depressed. But this has been going on for yrs. His dad and I are divorced and have been for 4 yrs. I remarried three yrs ago and have a 15 month old. We have a pretty stable and loving home. Lately his grades are low and he has been getting in trouble at school. He is off his ADHD meds, so I assumed the grades were from that. I am leary of putting my son on an antidepressent. I am really afraid of the side effects and just the "stigma" of being on them. At this point, I am desperate. I need something to help him. The effect this is having on me and the others in our family is bad. he cannot live with his dad, which he says is why he is sad. His dad has some issues that do not allow for a good environment. Sorry, this is soo long. I feel like I do not know how to help him anymore. I took him to be evaluated by an intake therapist at an inpatient hospital here locally and they couldn't help unless he was suicidal? yikes.. He is not at that point. We see his therapist today and will relay all this to him, but needed some insight as to anyone who may have similar issues. Do depression and adhd co-exist often? Can depression last for yrs and could it be a chemical imbalance? I know no one here is a doctor or diagnosis him. I just need thoughts??
Thanks so Much, just typing this out helps!!:)

sarey
10-22-08, 01:44 PM
Someone with ADHD usually has something else tagging along, ie; anxiety, depression, a personality disorder, so someone can have both. It's just a matter of deciding whether the symptoms fit for one of them alone, or if they are coming from both of them&mix.

OnlyMe
12-19-08, 10:29 PM
SSRI's are usually once a day medicines, there's no need for anyone but you, him, his doctor, and his pharmacist to know he's on them. So, no stigma unless you reveal it yourself; besides which, so many people suffer from depression that I find the stigma is not extensive. Despite the warnings about suicide, which I'm assuming are the ones worrying you the most; the medicines overall seem to prevent more suicides than they cause, as the suicide rate in children is inversely related to the use of antidepressants.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-11/uoia-alt103006.php

I know it's been a while since you posted, but I hope your boy is doing better than he was.