View Full Version : Help! Possible Heart Problems?

GL3NE
10-23-08, 05:45 PM
I have noticed that my heart sometimes tends to beat irregularly. I'm not sure if it is due to my caffeine consumption (which a lot of people who have ADD or ADHD tend to drink quite a bit of coffee, etc), but sometimes I can feel it while I try to sleep.

There are times when I move a little bit, my heart rate jumps. And I sometimes suffer from terrible vertigo.

A month or so ago, I had about 4 energy drinks in a 4 hour period (It was not uncommon for me to go through 3-4 a day, but I rarely drink them anymore). I went to a hookah lounge where I stood up to adjust the coals on the hookah, and got vertigo again, but my vision blurred. When I sat down, my heart began to race. I couldn't control it even with deep breathing, and on a number of occasions, nearly passed out. I had to be helped down the stairs, and eventually made a visit to the ER where I was given Xanax. My resting heart rate was nearly 150BPM. I wasn't sent home until 4AM.

I returned to the hookah bar and on two separate occasions could feel panic coming on, but I managed to calm myself. I had little to no caffeine prior.

Last night, I was out being mischievious with some friends, and obviously my adrenaline was going. After bolting for a mere 50-75 feet, I felt my heart kick really hard while I was running and before I knew it, my heart was pounding at about 3-4 times per second. However, I wasn't out of breath, and was barely dizzy. But my heart rate failed to subside until about 6-7 minutes later, when I sat down.

Should I go to the doctor and get a scan of my heart? My grandfather has arythmia and had a pacemaker implanted. I am afraid that one day my heart will not be able to keep up with the oxygen requirement during exercise (that is, if I get the will/motivation to exercise soon) and I might have a heart attack or pass out.

- Glen

mADD mike
10-23-08, 11:19 PM
Yes, go get checked out. If you don't, you might not get a chance to regret it later. Seriously.

If you are considering an exercise program, it is usually recommended to check with a doctor first to make sure you can handle it. Seriously though, most people don't, including myself. No health insurance means that I can't run to the doctor for every little thing. However, the heart is a pretty big deal. Heart problems run in my family, and if I had problems like those, I wouldn't take a chance and would get some sort of check up.

Take care,
Mike

DesertDave
10-24-08, 12:02 AM
I can only agree with what mADDmike said. Get it checked out.

The tests don't hurt. They're non-invasive. In one, they hook up an EKG/ECG and make you walk fast on a treadmill. The other test they use this thing that lets them view your heart from the outside (a sonogram). It's pretty fascinating, if they let you watch on the screen.

I only know this because about 8 months ago, I felt my heart going really fast. It freaked me out, so I went to the emergency room. They made me stay overnight, even though they got it settled down pretty quickly.

I went back after 6 months to have it re-checked. They concluded it was caused by these things: massive amounts of caffeine (18 cups a day wasn't unusual at all for me), skipping meals, 2 doses of SudaFed, and smoking (cigarettes). I gave up caffeine and SudaFed. I try to eat kinda regularly.

Grey Kameleon
10-25-08, 03:54 PM
I go to a hookah lounge every other day or so, and when I smoke, I tend to smoke quite a bit and usually drink coffee. I tend to be a little dizzy afterwards when walking home, but my heart is usually very calm afterwards. I would definitely get that checked out. You posted here, so you're obviously a little worried.