View Full Version : Mood Stabalizer besides Lamictal

Missgoldie
10-27-08, 11:31 AM
I am still searching for the best cocktail for Bipolar and ADD,

I cycle a lot and have mixed episodes.

The most recent has been Wellbutrin, Lamictal and Adderal

The lamictal caused a rash (second time we tried it) so that is out for good.

Welbutrin is not working either

The adderall is a a very low dose and helps me concentrate so that is good.

In the past, I have tried Prozac (stopped working and eventually caused mania)

Zoloft...too many side effects and not effective

Cymbalta...too many side effects and not effective

For an anti:

I am thinking about Cipralex (Lexapro)

also wondering about Effexor

For mood stablizer I am thinking...

Tegratol, topamax or trigatol

I do not want weight gain, heavy sweaty or anything that will make me feel lethargic, I aready lack energy during my depressive cycles (where I am now)

I am going to my pdoc this afternoon but wanted to some feedback on the above from those who know firsthand.Thanks!

mightyADDmike
10-29-08, 01:56 PM
I am still searching for the best cocktail for Bipolar and ADD,

I cycle a lot and have mixed episodes.

The most recent has been Wellbutrin, Lamictal and Adderal

The lamictal caused a rash (second time we tried it) so that is out for good.

Welbutrin is not working either

The adderall is a a very low dose and helps me concentrate so that is good.

In the past, I have tried Prozac (stopped working and eventually caused mania)

Zoloft...too many side effects and not effective

Cymbalta...too many side effects and not effective

For an anti:

I am thinking about Cipralex (Lexapro)

also wondering about Effexor

For mood stablizer I am thinking...

Tegratol, topamax or trigatol

I do not want weight gain, heavy sweaty or anything that will make me feel lethargic, I aready lack energy during my depressive cycles (where I am now)

I am going to my pdoc this afternoon but wanted to some feedback on the above from those who know firsthand.Thanks!

Well I take lamictal for the last 3years didnt get the rash...on Wellbutrin but it does take about 4 weeks to work so you have to be patient...my mood stabilizer is invega which is like resperidone just long acting and I do take adderall about 40mgs per day. That combo works for me but it took a long time to find the right combo.

ADHDNEWB
10-29-08, 02:03 PM
Err, I'm going to have to research this rash thing more - Lamictal. It seems like I have a little one on my thigh. Does anyone know where it starts and when it does, is it REALLY noticeable? I think it could also be my obsessing over things, I dunno.

Also, my doctor told me that taking Wellbutrin, if you are BP, can make things worse as far as BP symptoms go.

ADHDNEWB
10-29-08, 02:30 PM
ERRR, UH OH?

"red..itchy..about the size and shape of a quarter..but i dont know if this rash is caused by lamectil..it showed up after takng the drug for two weeks and gradually increasing the dose to 75 mg daily..its located on the upper inside of left thigh..it could be the result of chaffing or jock itch but does not respond to over the counter anti fungal sprays.. im just nervous about it but dont want to stop lamectil...am going to try a topical steroid.. hope that helps but i need answers too.. "

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_a_Lamictal_rash_look_like

BOLD = key points

***UPDATE***

I looked at a website with info regarding the rash you get, "SJS", and mine looks nothing like that - but those were SEVERE cases. WOW, really scary stuff! I dunno, I think I'll give my doc a call or wait until I go into see him on Monday.

adhdogwalker
10-30-08, 12:22 AM
Why not try Depakote? It worked very well for me at 1500mg/day and did not make me lethargic or gain weight (it actually made me feel energized). Unfortunately, I am in the process of going off of it and replacing it with Abilify because it was causing hair loss.

I tried Lamictal and it made me so confused and out of it that I felt like the guy in that movie Memento. It was horrible.

You might also want to mention Abilify to your doctor, it brightens my mood dramatically and calms down a lot of my anxiety/agitation without sedating me or making me gain weight.

ADHDNEWB
10-30-08, 10:17 AM
I tried Lamictal and it made me so confused and out of it that I felt like the guy in that movie Memento.

Ahhh, started tattooing your body with notes eh?

:D

Zoie
10-31-08, 02:43 PM
Have you considered Lithium??

I believe I heard that Tegratol is really effective, but I have not tired it.

I am on 125mg of lamictal. I can understand the heard fogginess, but I battle that with fish oil (omega 3)

good luck to you

as for ADHDNEWB, I suggest going in and showing your doc the rash. I thought I had one at one point. It turned out to be nothing more than a regular rash. But it never hurts to ask.

ADHDNEWB
10-31-08, 03:08 PM
as for ADHDNEWB, I suggest going in and showing your doc the rash. I thought I had one at one point. It turned out to be nothing more than a regular rash. But it never hurts to ask.

Thanks for the reply. Yea, I don't think it's anything. Just me worrying about things too much.

Missgoldie
11-05-08, 03:16 PM
I just tried Seroquel and Depakote for 12 days and I just stopped that. Too many bad sides with it....increased hunger, slow, head that felt like mush, very drugged overall...

I am getting frustrated with finding something that works well with minimal sides!!!

ADHDNEWB
11-05-08, 03:21 PM
Could have been the Seroquel that made you feel really "drugged". I know that when I was taking that stuff, the next day would be hazy half the time. I also took Depakote and that seemed to make my moods worse. What MG Seroquel were you taking?

Missgoldie
11-05-08, 03:24 PM
I was gradually increasing and supposed to go higher but got bad sides on 400 mg of seroquel and 500mg of depakote...never had bad side effects like I have had on these 2 meds. Very scary nightmares, brain dead feeling, angry and overall blah...

ADHDNEWB
11-05-08, 03:33 PM
WOW, that's a lot of Seroquel. I only got up to 50 mg and that was too much for me.

elegy
11-06-08, 07:59 PM
There's A LOT of options for mood stabilizers and anti-psychotics, as well as countless combinations. Tegretol, or it's new an improved version, Trileptal, can be very effective in handling bipolar disorder. But there's nothing like Seroquel or Zyprexa to knock a manic rage on it's butt.

You should be talking to your prescribing doc about this, their wealth of information pertaining to the specifics of YOU far outweighs strangers on the web.

And, what's worse - being an absolute mess of a being, or adding some body mass? Personally, when I find a med that actually works, I'm all good to live with their annoying, whacky side effects(this excludes any dangerous/exceedingly negative effects or reactions). For as long as my current cocktail of meds work, I'll willingly cope with the ridiculous dry mouth, the moderate brain fog, the occasional twitch, and other weird junk that comes along with them.

2Dazed&Confused
11-18-08, 10:09 PM
You should be talking to your prescribing doc about this, their wealth of information pertaining to the specifics of YOU far outweighs strangers on the web.

And, what's worse - being an absolute mess of a being, or adding some body mass? Personally, when I find a med that actually works, I'm all good to live with their annoying, whacky side effects(this excludes any dangerous/exceedingly negative effects or reactions). For as long as my current cocktail of meds work, I'll willingly cope with the ridiculous dry mouth, the moderate brain fog, the occasional twitch, and other weird junk that comes along with them.

First off, gaining weight leads to diabetes. Risperdal, Invega, and Zyprexa have all been known to cause diabetes. Diabetes, in my opinion, is worse. Also, Lamictal caused me to become the ultimate couch potato - I would go weeks without even taking a shower because it seemed to strenuous.
Second, communicating with others with the same problems as well as your Dr. is very valuable because you can compare experiences with other patients and then discuss your feelings with your Dr.

ADHDNEWB
11-19-08, 11:23 AM
Also, Lamictal caused me to become the ultimate couch potato - I would go weeks without even taking a shower because it seemed to strenuous.

Really? I've never felt like this. Also, not taking a shower for a week?? Sure you weren't super depressed? I mean after awhile you would start to stink - LOL!

Second, communicating with others with the same problems as well as your Dr. is very valuable because you can compare experiences with other patients and then discuss your feelings with your Dr.

I agree with this also. I love to see what others think or how they feel, when taking the same meds as me. This also helps when I see my doctor so I can ask him questions about what I've read.

adhdogwalker
12-07-08, 07:57 AM
Everyone's different and I find it fascinating to hear people's different reactions to meds, etc and to share experiences.

An update to my last post in this thread- I was fine on Abilify until I increased to 15 mg. and then it caused me to gain 14 lbs! I'm still taking it and dieting to lose the weight, but it's not working at all. I'm going to go to the doctor this week and ask that he switch me to something else. Depakote is out because it caused hair loss, Lamictal causes severe brain fog and doesn't work, Seroquel didn't make me gain weight and I loved how much it calmed me down (I was on 500 mg) but it did nothing for my mood. Should I ask for Trileptal? Can anyone share their experiences with it?

notmADD
12-17-08, 03:11 PM
My new pdoc gave me Zonegran, I'll start that tonight. I felt Lamictal made my head foggy and my skin horrible. I had zits on my back, face, chest. However It did help my mood.

jawglasswell
12-11-09, 06:26 PM
Well I take lamictal for the last 3years didnt get the rash...on Wellbutrin but it does take about 4 weeks to work so you have to be patient...my mood stabilizer is invega which is like resperidone just long acting and I do take adderall about 40mgs per day. That combo works for me but it took a long time to find the right combo.

wellbutrin does take about 4 weeks to work. mine just started like working today.