View Full Version : First CHADD meeting

JollyBadger
10-29-08, 11:10 AM
I attended my first CHADD meeting last night. . .it was kind of like being on this forum, only face-to-face. . .people all around who understood some of the struggles and could laugh about some of our ADD tendencies.

There were two guest speakers and we were scheduled to do support group stuff after that, but there were a lot of questions for the guest speakers so that sort of extended into the "support time." Which was cool, because it was a lot of good information and fun conversation.

If you've never been to one of the meetings but have considered it. . .I recommend it. :)

DesertDave
10-29-08, 12:05 PM
You're right - it is kind of like this forum but face-to-face. Sounds like a good group they have there.

I've gone to 2 meetings here. They have separate meetings for child and adults. I've gone to the adult one. It sounds like each local group works quite independently.

How long are the meetings? From what you said it sounds like a lot was covered.

ferdinan
10-29-08, 04:26 PM
I am seriously thinking about getting active with CHADD or the ADDA. I am looking forward to attending my first meeting.

JollyBadger
10-29-08, 06:14 PM
You're right - it is kind of like this forum but face-to-face. Sounds like a good group they have there.

I've gone to 2 meetings here. They have separate meetings for child and adults. I've gone to the adult one. It sounds like each local group works quite independently.

How long are the meetings? From what you said it sounds like a lot was covered.

People started showing up around 6:30pm though the meeting started at 7:00. Like what you described, there were two groups; one focused on children with ADD while the other was for adults. Typically the entire evening can last up until 10:00. That's including both the guest speaker and the group support time.

MisterBizarro
10-29-08, 06:25 PM
Any benefit for non-ADD spouses to go (without the other)? I hear that spouses of alcoholics can attend Al Anon meetings this way.

On second thought, risk of a room full of ADD people then hating me too.

Never mind.

DesertDave
10-29-08, 06:36 PM
YES! At the last (2nd) meeting I went to, a couple was there. As I recall, he is the ADDer.

I'm not sure what their opinion of it was, but it seems to me that it was beneficial for both of them. They both had questions - both about interaction and about ADD itself.

If nothing else it showed the non-ADDer that the other isn't so odd after all. They both now know what the meetings are about, resources (they heard about this forum), etc.

For me, it's a very comfortable environment.
. . . .
oh wait. You said WITHOUT the other. Hmmm...well I don't know why not. The non-ADDer would still see there are others with at least maybe some of the same traits. And learning about it is always good. Finding out about resources and all that stuff would also be useful.

And nothing says anyone has to stay. If it's uncomfortable or boring, just get up and leave. There's no cost to go, they don't take up a collection (but they'll give a brief talk about the CHADD organization). They don't take names or anything. The door isn't locked.

MisterBizarro
10-29-08, 06:52 PM
oh wait. You said WITHOUT the other.

Dave, love the logo. You Rock!

At this point I am considered evil, and after years of counseling that identified her as ADD (two independent counselors), suddenly its me who is supposed to be the one with a mental disorder. The whole thing is Bizarre (thus my profile name). She would never go, but I thought a support group might help me.

DesertDave
10-29-08, 08:30 PM
I shouldn't say this. But, I'm ADD so I often say impulsive things. I stole the logo.

At the first CHADD meeting I went to, someone brought in a catalog from a t-shirt company. They had a bunch of AD(H)D stuff. This caught my eye.

Hey, call the person listed on the local chapter's page and ask if it's appropriate to go. Or see if there's maybe a spouse support thing. You never know.

maryam
11-30-08, 08:25 PM
That's awesome to hear! I just became a member of CHADD, and I'm planning on going to my first meeting on Tuesday. I'm looking forward to it.

DesertDave
11-30-08, 08:50 PM
Very cool. The group where I am doesn't meet in December. Let us know how it went.

dkpoto
01-23-09, 01:04 AM
We do not have a CHADD chapter here. I would love to attend a meeting and ask about alternative methods for managing the condition. Where does CHADD stand on methods like ADHD coaching and exercise?

Don

DesertDave
01-26-09, 01:29 AM
I'm not certain that CHADD actually takes a position on any specific type of "treatment".

I don't see an email address where you could send them that question. There is a phone number listed on their main page, if you wanted to phone them.

It's surprising there isn't a chapter in your area.