View Full Version : I can't get no sense of riddim...

tree oh tree
11-02-08, 10:49 AM
Well I was just teaching my younger sister how to play bass and ultimately rythmn.
Now I'm not always the best at rythmn and in fact used to be terrible.
So i went online to find a test and I found this.

http://www.gotofocus.com/test/ the first score I got back was 74 and this suggested good rythmn, but by the third trie it went down to 36!!!
And it's still low!

We calculate the Rhythmicity Index (RI) to help us understand how well a person is able to be steady while following or producing a beat, and how well they can focus and concentrate. The RI is a standardized method for describing how well a person can maintain a steady beat.

<TABLE cellPadding=2 width="96%" bgColor=#ffffff border=2><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width="28%" bgColor=#c0c0c0>RI Range</TD><TD align=middle width="37%" bgColor=#c0c0c0>Category</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="28%" bgColor=#ff6600>0 to 28</TD><TD align=middle width="37%" bgColor=#ff6600>Severe Difficulties</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="28%" bgColor=#ffcc00>28 to 38</TD><TD align=middle width="37%" bgColor=#ffcc00>Extremely Poor</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="28%" bgColor=#ffff00>38 to 48</TD><TD align=middle width="37%" bgColor=#ffff00>Very Poor</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="28%" bgColor=#99ff33>48 to 58</TD><TD align=middle width="37%" bgColor=#99ff33>Poor</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="28%" bgColor=#00cc99>58 to 68</TD><TD align=middle width="37%" bgColor=#00cc99>Marginal</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="28%" bgColor=#428dff>68 to 78</TD><TD align=middle width="37%" bgColor=#428dff>Good</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="28%" bgColor=#9900cc>78 to 88</TD><TD align=middle width="37%" bgColor=#9900cc>Superior</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="28%" bgColor=#000000>88 to 100</TD><TD align=middle width="37%" bgColor=#000000>Elite</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

An RI of one hundred (100) shows the ability to keep a very steady (absolutely steady) beat. It is mathematically possible to get an RI higher than 100, but few will achieve this level.
An RI of less than 28 is an indication of great difficulty having focus, concentration, or attention. At this level there is little connection to their environment or context. At this level a child might make good grades, but would probably not fit in with the others in the class and would probably have poor coordination.
An RI between 28 and 48 is an indication of extremely poor and very poor coordination. With this RI, people will have difficulty controlling their behavior and they have difficulty maintaining focus, concentration, or attention.
An RI between 48 and 58 is an indication of poor coordination. With this RI, people could have dramatic improvement in focus, concentration, and coordination by increasing rhythmic activity. With this RI, people often pop-out of focus for long durations.
An RI between 58 and 68 is an indication of marginal rhythmicity, focus, attention, and coordination. Pop-out is common and severe. Increasing rhythmic activity will improve focus, attention, and coordination, and reduce the effects of pop-out.
An RI between 68 and 78 is an indication of good rhythmicity and good focus, attention, and coordination. Pop-out is common and not severe. Increasing rhythmic activity will improve focus, attention, and coordination, and reduce the effects of pop-out.
An RI between 78 and 88 is an indication of very good rhythmicity, focus, attention, and coordination. Pop-out is uncommon and not severe. Increasing rhythmic activity will improve focus, attention, and coordination, and reduce the effects of pop-out.
An RI above 88 is an indication of an elite level of rhythmicity, focus, attention, and coordination. Pop-out is uncommon and momentary. This is the rhythmicity level of professional athletes. By increasing rhythmic activity, professional athletes can improve their performance, even if they start with an RI at this level.
The higher the RI, the better the focus, attention, and coordination, and the less severe the pop-out.
If you want more information about how to improve rhythmicity, contact Rodger Bailey (Rodger.bailey@gotofocus.com?subject=GTFC - I want more info about how to improve rhythmicity)
<SCRIPT src="http://www.gotofocus.com/footer.js" type=text/javascript> ***********

Damn it. But a good test.

tree oh tree
11-02-08, 10:49 AM
I wanna improve!!!

aidy
11-02-08, 02:07 PM
i wish i could help, but i have the same problem...
i can skew time you see :D

i have two teachers that are working on this with me now (a solfege teacher and another for my singing), if I improve I'll tell you what I think did it :)
same for if I ever get meds, because i suspect those might help too

Milsurp
11-10-08, 09:15 PM
76.6 cool :D

Johnny123
11-11-08, 03:51 AM
I got 40 :(

busyhermit
11-11-08, 05:10 PM
Hmmm. 77. So how come I still can't dance?

tree oh tree
11-12-08, 02:37 PM
My friend ian got 88! He was once dx'd with ADHD, but he's an amazing piano player.

prtsimmons
11-12-08, 02:49 PM
That test starts out as a rhythm test, but I think it has more to do with attention span. It kept going and going... did it stop after 60 seconds like it was supposed to? I must have been doing it for 3 minutes. I ended up with a score of 58 but I was really losing it near the end. If it was a 20-second test, I bet I could do better.

tree oh tree
11-12-08, 04:41 PM
Yeah. But rythmn is all about attention span.

Higgy
12-29-08, 01:08 AM
I think it might be interesting to try this test both medicated and unmedicated...I just tried it unmedicated and got above 85 on three consecutive tries...I wonder if my Adderall would make a difference??

WarPhalange
12-29-08, 10:49 PM
80.8, but I missed one beat because it didn't register after I hit my spacebar. Guess I didn't hit hard enough.

Bass player here too, although I really suck. =/

That test starts out as a rhythm test, but I think it has more to do with attention span. It kept going and going... did it stop after 60 seconds like it was supposed to? I must have been doing it for 3 minutes. I ended up with a score of 58 but I was really losing it near the end. If it was a 20-second test, I bet I could do better.

You were hitting once a second (60 bpm). Did you hit 180 times or 60 times?

Marspider
02-22-09, 07:49 AM
hmm, I come from a culture that values dancing and I've been dancing since I was a child. I can dance spontaneously and I'm considered quite good but I don't do well with set dances like waltz, etc, I get confused. I got bored after a while, it's the same beat and sound, it doesn't change. In a song, the beat stays the same but the melody doesn't, it varies. This was BORING and my hand hurt. When I'm dancing, I don't just use my hands, I use my neck, my shoulders, my hips, my knees, my feet and vary... and I can do double beats that also makes things interesting.
I don't think it measures attention span at least not for ADHDers who come from dancing cultures