View Full Version : stereotyping much?

matsuiny2004
11-03-08, 06:26 PM
are there not buses?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/11/081103160841.htm

Zerbinetta
11-07-08, 06:48 AM
Recently, a number of scientific studies relating to driving with AD/HD have been carried out here in the Netherlands, prompted by the legal requirements for people seeking to obtain a license.

Strictly speaking, when applying for a driver's license, you're supposed to tick the box that says "Stimulant medication" if you take any, and that will kick off a **** storm of bureaucracy that includes a full medical by an appointed psychiatrist that will cost you at least €150, which works out to about $200 for all you denizens of the New World.

Consequently, many people opt not to disclose, but the legal implications in case of accidents are still rather murky. I'm hoping things will clear up a bit in the near future.

roseblood
04-20-09, 01:41 PM
I believe in Sweden there's a new law that anyone diagnosed with ADHD isn't allowed to have a driving licence, which can't do much to encourage people to seek a diagnosis.

APSJ
04-28-09, 05:31 PM
I believe in Sweden there's a new law that anyone diagnosed with ADHD isn't allowed to have a driving licence, which can't do much to encourage people to seek a diagnosis.

Wouldn't it be something if the whole world finally recognized that ADHD is a legitimate diagnosis only to conclude that the proper response is to enact discriminatory regulations?

ginniebean
04-28-09, 05:59 PM
It bothers me that much like many other things, research specific to young children and teens is used as some wholesale evidence of the whole population including adults with adhd.

I'm sure teens with adhd may need a bit more help with driving.

I see people saying things like people with adhd have low empathy, and who were the studies done on? or people with adhd have low self awareness. Yet the articles about it are speaking of young adults and late teens. I've even seen it touted on these boards as if it's fact for everyone.

Discrimination will probably come.

scarygreengiant
04-28-09, 09:08 PM
It bothers me that much like many other things, research specific to young children and teens is used as some wholesale evidence of the whole population including adults with adhd.

I'm sure teens with adhd may need a bit more help with driving.

I see people saying things like people with adhd have low empathy, and who were the studies done on? or people with adhd have low self awareness. Yet the articles about it are speaking of young adults and late teens. I've even seen it touted on these boards as if it's fact for everyone.

Discrimination will probably come.

You make a good point about the lack of studies regarding adult ADHD drivers. However, I can testify that I am definitely a horrible driver because of my ADHD. Obviously that doesn't apply to ALL adults with ADHD. I'm just saying that it's true in my case.