View Full Version : Most Hated Household Chore

Black Razor
11-06-08, 04:26 AM
Yet another stimulating poll by yours truly. After seeing how many people have already responded to my poll on if you would choose to be ADD given a choice (see here for more info) I thought I would give another hot topic a go.

Household cleanliness for many of us is a nightmare. If we're lucky we can stay on top of things, but often we "mean to" clean this or that, but it just gets put off until we either can't stand it or we have nothing better to do. That is unless your live with someone and they force you to. Love you babe, :p

So without further wait, I present to you the poll.

Q: Which household chore do you hate the most and why?

stef
11-06-08, 04:55 AM
:) You forgot the category "all of the above"!

Black Razor
11-06-08, 05:02 AM
No I didn't, NOBODY (except you really weird freaks out there) likes doing chores. If it was enjoyable it wouldnt be called a chore. Although I get a sick sort of pleasure from doing the laundry. I dunno I get excited knowing that my dirty clothes will be clean and I will get to wear my favorite outfits again.

EveningMan
11-06-08, 05:25 AM
It's a double-edged sword for me.

For a change, to get away from the desk, when my mind longs to do something simple: I don't mind any household chore. Actually, they give me a kind of peace of mind and instant reward which is so rare in the rest of life. Cleaning things up and putting them in an order is probably for me a substitute for getting some order in my head. At least for a while I can feel as if have things under control. Over the years I seem to have to developed a moderate neatness compulsion.

But I really start to hate it when I have to do it too often. It then becomes boring, and because they are no intellectual challenge, my mind starts to run and usually ends up recalling frustrating situations of the past, which make me angrier and angrier.

sarek
11-06-08, 06:22 AM
I voted ironing but cleaning up rooms and washing my car come close second.

Ironing clothes is a kind of war.
There is a little known secret that most clothes are designed with invisible built-in wrinkles that only magically appear as soon as you start ironing them.

This is part of a secret conspiracy between the psychiatrists and the clothes' manufacturers to drive as many people crazy as possible.

cdub998
11-06-08, 07:55 AM
I voted Cleaning the bathroom. I hate that so much. If it was there though I would vote cleaning out the cat box. Blechhh

I love washing my car though!!!

DesertDave
11-06-08, 11:44 AM
Paperwork And Mail!

pADDyjay
11-06-08, 11:47 AM
the chore I hate was not on there,I live in apt complex so laundry means public laundry room:(
also means bringing trash across pk lot to dumpster:(

Black Razor
11-06-08, 12:17 PM
Um, I'm confused. Laundry is the first chore listed, what exactly did you mean? :confused:

Zerbinetta
11-09-08, 10:00 AM
I don't have a problem with ironing, but only because I don't. I don't see the point of it. I just fold everything and put the things I need to de-crease at the bottom of the pile, where they'll be sufficiently flattened by the fabric on top.

Krazy_Taco
11-09-08, 04:57 PM
I voted for washing dishes, but the one chore that I often fail to do is pick my stuff up off the floor. My floors are often covered with clothes (both clean and dirty), magazines, DVDs, games, papers, collectibles, etc.

marshman_88
11-10-08, 12:26 AM
ugh cleaning the bathroom for sure. dragging out all the cleaning products, toilet, sink, and scrubbing the shower is the worst. not to mention i have to do two bathrooms. thankfully i dont have to do the third one.

chowmix
11-10-08, 12:34 AM
The worst one is getting around to starting ANY task!

Outside the Box
11-11-08, 12:19 AM
Emptying the dishwasher. I just hate it. Especially silverware. But I like clean dishes.
And getting gas - as an errand, can't stand it!

sv6rider
11-11-08, 01:49 AM
Washing clothes.

It takes me like two days to do a load of laundry. I forget to start the washer. I forget to put it in the dryer. I forget to take it OUT of the dryer and it's all wrinkly. Start over. Put back in the washer. Put in dryer. Take out and put in basket. Set basket in my room and not put clothes away. On Sunday night.. I have a basket full of clean, extremely wrinkled clothes. Monday... wear something dirty.

meadd823
11-11-08, 02:35 AM
House work hate???? - I have no bias I hate it all equally!

Jett
11-19-08, 05:41 AM
I voted Cleaning the bathroom. I hate that so much. If it was there though I would vote cleaning out the cat box. Blechhh

I love washing my car though!!!

I also hate cleaning out the cat box. It's so nasty and it stinks!

Jett
11-19-08, 05:41 AM
House work hate???? - I have no bias I hate it all equally!

I second that!

Black Razor
11-19-08, 06:56 PM
and I third that.

OnlyMe
12-14-08, 04:04 PM
Um, I actually like washing dishes by hand because I have mild arthritis and the warm water just feels so good, the pain is completely gone for that little bit. I do take aleve, but there's still that bit of residual pain all the time, I hardly notice it until the water takes it away.

Anyway back to the topic, I hate organizing paperwork. It all piles up everywhere on every flat surface of the house. I think I have bills on my hutch (paid ones!) that go back five years because I just don't get around to putting them in a box and putting it away. I swear they breed, surely no household can produce the cubic footage of paper that must be laying around here. Sigh...

EYEFORGOT
12-15-08, 12:53 AM
Cleaning the kitchen. It is the most unsatisfying job. Cleaning the bathrooms aren't so bad, I can see the results of my hard work for quite a while.

A kitchen gets dirty as soon as you're done cleaning it, and you have no choice. You can't ignore it like a pile of laundry to put away, or just don't look down when you enter a room with a dirty floor.

It's the dirtiest room of the house, no matter what.

notsureyet343
12-15-08, 01:42 AM
The dishes. I hate the dishes. I don't eat in my apartment very often (I live alone and work in a restaurant), but glasses will sit in the sink until I have no choice but to do them because I have run out of clean glasses.

I also hate putting away laundry. I usually take it home and my mom does it for me because the laundrymats in my city are SO expensive. I swear those bags of clean laundry will sit in my living room for weeks (with me digging through them to find something to wear) until I can bring myself to put them away.

Newbie_at_38!
12-16-08, 01:29 AM
I can't vote on the poll because there are so many of those that I hate equally as much! There's not one the out does the rest on the hatred stakes for me.

The ones I hate the least would be laundry (but I am hopeless at putting it a way once it's done; and come to think of it I am also useless at actually doing it until we have nothing left to wear, but I don't 'hate' doing it when I finally do :) ) and taking out the rubbish.

Cheesesteak
12-18-08, 06:49 PM
Anything to do with the kitchen. Cooking, washing dishes, emptying the dishwasher, cleaning the counter or the appliances. You name it, if it involves the kitchen, I don't like it.

Ironing is a close second, but since we got one of those pressure steamer irons, my ironing time has literally been cut in half, so I don't mind it as much as I used to.

The bathroom is third, but, if you pardon the pun, I do such a crappy job that I'm in and out in less than 30 minutes, so it's not as bad as it could be.

teenie
12-31-08, 05:19 PM
I hate unloading the dishwasher, it seems so meaningless to me. At least when you load the dishwasher things look cleaner after.

I don't mind doing laundry but hate putting my own away. I have no problem putting everyone but my own away--I wonder if that is because everyone else's is organized and mine isn't...???

focusissue
01-15-09, 01:19 PM
I choose Laundry. I hate sorting, washing, drying , folding and putting away. I have a family of 5. and we always have mountain of clothes. I try weekly and I still end up with at least 10 loads. when I wait a month I have about 20 0r more loads. which will take me about 3-4 days to complete. I dont put away the clothes right away either. I will have close sitting around until the next time I do laundry, which is a pain because when Looking for clothes I have to search through about 5 bags before I find a complete outfit. such a pain. I have my days when I dont mind cleaning because i hate a dirty house. I also say that the kitchen is the worst room in the house to clean. I have to wipe my floors everyday ( at least when I get the mood to) and as soon as I am done and walk out and come back in it's like I never wiped it. I have laminated floors which gets dirty quick. My landlord is cheap and won't put in wood or tile.

captivagirl
01-15-09, 02:30 PM
I voted Laundry. I don't mind the washing but seem to forget to get it out of the dryer lately. Or I'll get it out and fold it but then it doesn't get put up.

Cleaning up the family room comes a close second only bc nobody helps with it. It's everyone's things but I'm not June Cleaver.

Where's Mary Poppins when I need her? Or a Staples Easy button that really worked??

focusissue
01-15-09, 03:29 PM
I voted Laundry. I don't mind the washing but seem to forget to get it out of the dryer lately. Or I'll get it out and fold it but then it doesn't get put up.

Cleaning up the family room comes a close second only bc nobody helps with it. It's everyone's things but I'm not June Cleaver.

Where's Mary Poppins when I need her? Or a Staples Easy button that really worked??

hahaha. I have an easy button, it doesn't for my chores or anything else. LOL

Azkary
01-16-09, 02:05 PM
I voted ironing because I really hate it, although I don't do much ironing, I always check the clothes I buy so that I don't have to iron it.

But the worst I can do is clean pots and pans with rotten food, YUCK!!!!
I hate it because I have to do it more often that I'd like to.

erratica_1
01-20-09, 05:03 PM
Washing clothes.

It takes me like two days to do a load of laundry. I forget to start the washer. I forget to put it in the dryer. I forget to take it OUT of the dryer and it's all wrinkly. Start over. Put back in the washer. Put in dryer. Take out and put in basket. Set basket in my room and not put clothes away. On Sunday night.. I have a basket full of clean, extremely wrinkled clothes. Monday... wear something dirty.

Hey, that's how *I* do laundry! hehe.

My least favorite chore, though, is washing dishes. They never ever go away.

kettish
01-25-09, 02:16 PM
Cooking!!! Because I have to make all the food plans myself (I have a hard time making decisions like that), do the cooking myself, and then have to do the cleaning up afterwards, too!

My husband doesn't help at ALL, beyond the occasional 'ok I'll chop up something for you with a big manly knife.' He can't tell me things he'd like to eat for the week so I can make a meal plan and grocery list, he doesn't know how to cook anything (my Mom taught him how to make rice over Christmas after I related a particularly devastating event involving my wisdom teeth being out, being sick of pudding, and him forgetting the stove was on).

He doesn't want to cook anything, and if I don't he'll survive quite happily upon beef (both ground and steaks), tortillas, cheese, and eggs for the rest of his natural life. I on the other hand can't stand eating the same things over and over again. *blech* So I end up cooking, and making the cooking decisions, and afterwards the dishes are my chore too-which I don't want to do because I've just finished cooking, and which he despises-and so we graze the cabinets and ready made foods for days on end.

UGH.