View Full Version : waking up and feeling really tired?

Johnny123
11-06-08, 07:54 AM
I've recently looked into the reasons for me taking extremely large doses of caffeine pills in the morning (excess of 500mg in a single dose in the morning) and i've realised it's because i wake up and feel like i've stayed up all night, or just like i haven't slept but i know i have because i do have some pretty ****ed up dreams which i can mostly remember where weird **** happens in them. I'm gonna see a doctor about this as when i think about it i've had it for quite a while and the days i don't have caffeine (which has just started now - going a few weeks without it and i wake up and feel tired in general all day and focusing is out of the question, i slowly cut the caffeine intake down to around half a pill to avoid a headache which worked well) and if you get a word im saying until now then i congratulate you as my writing is usually not thought of much). I for some reason get to sleep fine at usually around 9PM and get up at 7AM by having someone burst into my room and some days have to drag me out of bed and shove a coffee in my mouth. I'm 15 by the wya.

so what do you all think about this?

Louder Than Love
11-14-08, 12:12 PM
Well, caffeine IS (as much as i hate to say this ) considered a psychoactive stimulant, with potential for addiction ( go figure, everything is addicting, right?)
I mean,.. just look at what happened to the poor spider when the mad scientists dosed it with massive amounts of caffeine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine

It wouldnt be unreasonable to think that maybe that amount of caffeine is still swirling about in your head at night.

Louder Than Love
11-14-08, 12:18 PM
And then theres this...

An acute overdose of caffeine, usually in excess of about 300 milligrams, dependent on body weight and level of caffeine tolerance, can result in a state of central nervous system over-stimulation called caffeine intoxication,[72] colloquially "caffeine jitters". The symptoms of caffeine intoxication are not unlike overdoses of other stimulants. It may include restlessness, nervousness, excitement, insomnia, flushing of the face, increased urination, gastrointestinal disturbance, muscle twitching, a rambling flow of thought and speech, irritability, irregular or rapid heart beat, and psychomotor agitation.[70] In cases of much larger overdoses mania, depression, lapses in judgment, disorientation, disinhibition, delusions, hallucinations, psychosis, rhabdomyolysis, and death may occur.[73][74]

In cases of extreme overdose, death can result. The median lethal dose (LD50) given orally, is 192 milligrams per kilogram in rats.[2] The LD50 of caffeine in humans is dependent on weight and individual sensitivity and estimated to be about 150 to 200 milligrams per kilogram of body mass, roughly 80 to 100 cups of coffee for an average adult taken within a limited time frame that is dependent on half-life. Though achieving lethal dose with caffeine would be exceptionally difficult with regular coffee, there have been reported deaths from overdosing on caffeine pills, with serious symptoms of overdose requiring hospitalization occurring from as little as 2 grams of caffeine.[75][76][77][78] Death typically occurs due to ventricular fibrillation brought about by effects of caffeine on the cardiovascular system.

Treatment of severe caffeine intoxication is generally supportive, providing treatment of the immediate symptoms, but if the patient has very high serum levels of caffeine then peritoneal dialysis, hemodialysis, or hemofiltration may be required.

I Heart ctrl+c and ctrl + v

NickL30
11-15-08, 01:07 AM
300MG of caffeine LOL!!! Probably 3-5 times that amount for me each day. like I said, I am hooked on the energy drinks. Either that or a 20OZ bottle of diet coke is the first thing I have when I wake up.

And then theres this...

An acute overdose of caffeine, usually in excess of about 300 milligrams, dependent on body weight and level of caffeine tolerance, can result in a state of central nervous system over-stimulation called caffeine intoxication,[72] colloquially "caffeine jitters". The symptoms of caffeine intoxication are not unlike overdoses of other stimulants. It may include restlessness, nervousness, excitement, insomnia, flushing of the face, increased urination, gastrointestinal disturbance, muscle twitching, a rambling flow of thought and speech, irritability, irregular or rapid heart beat, and psychomotor agitation.[70] In cases of much larger overdoses mania, depression, lapses in judgment, disorientation, disinhibition, delusions, hallucinations, psychosis, rhabdomyolysis, and death may occur.[73][74]

In cases of extreme overdose, death can result. The median lethal dose (LD50) given orally, is 192 milligrams per kilogram in rats.[2] The LD50 of caffeine in humans is dependent on weight and individual sensitivity and estimated to be about 150 to 200 milligrams per kilogram of body mass, roughly 80 to 100 cups of coffee for an average adult taken within a limited time frame that is dependent on half-life. Though achieving lethal dose with caffeine would be exceptionally difficult with regular coffee, there have been reported deaths from overdosing on caffeine pills, with serious symptoms of overdose requiring hospitalization occurring from as little as 2 grams of caffeine.[75][76][77][78] Death typically occurs due to ventricular fibrillation brought about by effects of caffeine on the cardiovascular system.

Treatment of severe caffeine intoxication is generally supportive, providing treatment of the immediate symptoms, but if the patient has very high serum levels of caffeine then peritoneal dialysis, hemodialysis, or hemofiltration may be required.

I Heart ctrl+c and ctrl + v

Johnny123
11-15-08, 02:32 AM
I've had a blood test today to test for stuff i'm not getting enough of, and other things.

Mooch
12-02-08, 03:18 AM
ive been like this too lately seems to come once a month for a few days. happens whether or not ive been taking my meds or drinking caffeine

waiting for a blood test back sometime this week

Johnny123
12-07-08, 01:06 AM
ive been like this too lately seems to come once a month for a few days. happens whether or not ive been taking my meds or drinking caffeine

waiting for a blood test back sometime this week

I get mine back on the 12th (my next appointment).

EYEFORGOT
12-07-08, 06:37 PM
My therapist suggested I write down my dreams, as much as I can remember even if it doesn't make sense, and when I'm wired to sculpt or draw. It can be very insightful. But this is a completely other aspect of what might be winding you up, not just the caffeine?

Johnny123
12-11-08, 03:23 AM
I get the results of my blood test tomorrow, and i'll see what my body is lacking in which i know it'll be something but im not sure.

Mooch
12-14-08, 12:07 AM
my tests were normal though my iron was on the low end. probably have a knack for being anemic since i forget to eat :-/

Driver
12-14-08, 12:40 AM
so what do you all think about this?

Pretty much fits most people who are Inattentive ADD'ers.

Considering you put this thread in the CFS group, I guess a CFS diagnosis is in the pipeline. Well CFS is a diagnosis based on elimination (i.e., once they've ruled out everything under the sun, then you have CFS). So to get diagnosed as CFS, the doctor has to rule out you having low levels of dopamine and norepinephrine (aka ADD).

Johnny123
12-15-08, 12:35 AM
Pretty much fits most people who are Inattentive ADD'ers.

Considering you put this thread in the CFS group, I guess a CFS diagnosis is in the pipeline. Well CFS is a diagnosis based on elimination (i.e., once they've ruled out everything under the sun, then you have CFS). So to get diagnosed as CFS, the doctor has to rule out you having low levels of dopamine and norepinephrine (aka ADD).

well i'm on an anti depressant now and it makes me feel worse and the doctor didnt get that so i kinda dont want to take it anymore. I know the effect of ritalin on me, best few days of my life i say, i was getting things done and stuff and people said i was calmer but more awake in class and didnt look stoned.

aesculanus
07-21-09, 09:44 AM
well i'm on an anti depressant now and it makes me feel worse and the doctor didnt get that so i kinda dont want to take it anymore. I know the effect of ritalin on me, best few days of my life i say, i was getting things done and stuff and people said i was calmer but more awake in class and didnt look stoned.

this really annoyed me when i was in school. had a trifecta of bull crap dump on my life sophomore year (a death, lost scholarship, girl left, etc), and went to see a school counselor.

she put me on paxil. i was on it about 2 or 3 weeks. it was probably 2-3 weeks of the most depressing time of my life.

i was already pretty depressed those days - couldn't even get out of bed, eat, some days couldn't even be bothered to showered. and the paxil just made me worse. i didn't even feel guilty about letting myself rot away like that.

i don't understand why docs routinely issue that stuff for depression. it just made me not want to do ANYTHING. makes sense now, since serotonin apparently is the neurotransmitter that's supposedly makes you just content and calm about things.

person2person
07-31-09, 11:55 AM
well anti-depressants take a while to start working, 2-3 weeks is the minimum if you're lucky, so it didn't really have time to have any therapeutic effect.

i remember a similar experience to the above poster in my sophomore year i was put on lexapro, then wellbutrin, nothing really worked... but i also didn't give it long enough, the sides were pretty bad, a lot of them persisted for a long time after i discontinued the medications, and i just felt wierd afterwords.

honestly i think if i had been given ADHD meds i would have been a lot better off, maybe i'd still have been depressed but i would have done better in school and by the end of the semester i'd probably feel a lot better about myself.

ToadysFroggy
12-22-09, 09:33 PM
I have CFS, and one of the "lucky" members of the "Six-Percent Club"...

Roughly 96% of the adult population has a dormant Epstein Barr Virus in their throats...a percentage of them end up with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome...and 6% of those with CFS, also have Chronic Epstein Barr Virus, or referred to as Chronic Mono!

Have a Mono Spot done to check your Epstein Barr numbers...IM me if you have any other questions!

PS I also have ADD and FMS...I take two anti-deps for pain and sleep management, and vyvanse for my ADD!

sarey
12-22-09, 09:53 PM
You can have M.E as well as ADD, and other psychiatric conditions. It makes it much more complicated to get a diagnosis, but it's possible.

atrain
12-23-09, 12:14 AM
I feel the same way sarey about waking up and feeling really tired. Sometimes I sleep over 8 hours and still feel tired. Is it your medication. Your brain could be wired at night. How do you cope with this?

sarey
12-23-09, 12:24 AM
Um, I didn;t create this thread.

atrain
12-23-09, 06:33 PM
I never said you did.

ToadysFroggy
12-23-09, 10:09 PM
>>Atrain, if you want someone to talk about this, feel free to contact me!:)