View Full Version : Desoxyn and Dexedrine use together???

bailee33
11-09-08, 12:36 PM
I was wondering if anyone has experience or know of someone who does about taking desoxyn and dexedrine together?

I was taking dex but not finding much relief from my ADD symptoms, so dr. ordered desoxyn which I heard is suppose to be good, expensive but good.

Well, I went 1-2 days taking 5mg 2times a days and really didn't notice anything so I took 20mg of dex IR and one 5mg of desoxyn and it seemed to provide me with more focus and concentration for my studies. Although I really don't know if the desoxyn did anything?

I read that you have to titrate up to desoxyn, is that true? Perhaps it takes a few days to feel the full effect? Although it shouldn't b/c it's a stimulant?

Another thing, I've read so much about taking Dex with baking soda to help it be more effective, does anyone know for certain if it's true? I do it and I like to think that it helps? I'm really concious about not digesting any citric acid within the hour before i take it and an hour after.

Thanks

Contrapunctus
11-09-08, 08:14 PM
Again, if you already have a tolerance to d-amphetamine, you will need a sizeable dose of methamphetamine to get similar effect.

It is actually less potent at releasing norepinephrine than d-amphetamine, and is consequently less stimulating.

For people who have pronounced ADHD-PI, methamphetamine may actually be inferior to d-amphetamine, as it is more sedating and it will not force you to do anything you don't want to do...

bailee33
11-09-08, 10:25 PM
Oh great. That is the last thing I need, to be sedated! I have difficulty on my own trying to remain awake and get things done.

Bummer, I paid $240 for 60 pills and now I'm stuck with them, Uggg.

I will talk to my Dr. to see if experimenting with the dose might make a difference. It seems some receive benefit from 2.5mg of desoxyn and others have success with taking 20mg.

I've only been on Dex for a month so I don't think I've built up tolerance.

E4rolls
11-30-08, 01:36 AM
That sucks, Methamphetamine is weaker and less stimulating than Dexamphetamine? I am glad to be on dex then and I keep hearing people to be less than satisfied when they finally get the Desoxyn. Lame!

Contrapunctus
12-01-08, 09:57 PM
Desoxyn does have some benefits over d-amphetamine; it has fewer side-effects and is more "calming".

At higher doses, methamphetamine is more euphorigenic than d-amphetamine, which is a likely the result of serotonin release.

Personally, I still prefer focalin...

merovingian
03-31-09, 12:38 AM
Well, I went 1-2 days taking (Desoxyn) 5mg 2times a days and really didn't notice anything
If you read the product information from the manufacturer you will find that usual effective dosage for Desoxyn is 20-25mg daily, you are on the starting dosage which they recommend you increase your daily dose by 5mg once a week until you reach "optimal clinical response".

Yellow
05-19-09, 12:27 AM
do any of you, or do any of oyu know anyone on desoxyn who also is treated with an SNRI or SSRI?

PhishHead
07-08-09, 01:40 AM
I am on the SNRI cymbalta and have RX for dex, desoxyn and focalin.

All give me side effects. Desoxyn is the most smooth. I tired 2.5 desoxyn with 2.5 dex and it was pretty good. Better than Desoxyn and focalin or focalin and dexadrine combos

lolwut
03-06-11, 07:11 PM
Hey all, I know this is an old thread, but I'm on 15 mg Dex Spansule brand in the AM and 5 mg Barr IR generic in the PM, which i hate, it gives me no motivation, tons of side effects, I have tried 3 ADD meds, Strattera, Adderall, and Dexedrine, Dexedrine is the only one that works for me, and at my next appt. I want to bring up Desoxyn, my psych knows I am not a drug-seeker, I used this forum as a source for how Dexedrine is usually better than Adderall, and got put on Dexedrine. If I'm on 15 mg Dex Spansule in the AM and 5 mg Dex in the PM, would I simply get a prescription for 5 mg Desoxyn in the PM, advised to take it whole, or to take half, because I hear d-methamp is 2x as potent as d-amp? Thank you.

Mister Marcinko
03-06-11, 10:08 PM
lolwut, I know how it feels to be nervous to bring up asking for a certain stimulant script. My doc wouldn't write me any instant release meds and that made me extremely discouraged until I had to see a different doc as he wasn't there that day and she was extremely cool, no problem writing ir meds. So if I were u and this doc doesn't write it find a new one who will. Though I was wondering how come u haven't tried any methlphenidate meds. I'm currently on focalin ir 10mg and gonna request Ritalin ir ad I feel I need the Levo stimulation. I'm a big nirvana fan too btw

lolwut
03-07-11, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the input, man. Yeah, the worst part is, my regular psych isn't going to be there next week, and I need a new Dexedrine Spansule prescription because that's when my meds are going to run out, so I have to see a new psych. I've been building up a good relationship with my psych, she is fairly lenient, I was first on Strattera, then Adderall, then Dexedrine, which works great all day 'til the afternoon. After seeing this psych only once-I will be returning to my regular psych next appt.-I'm very scared to bring up Desoxyn, but I really want to give it a whirl. I sure as hell am not staying on those damn Barr generics.

I have a small aversion to methylphenidate, although I've never tried it, I hear that it has a really harsh come-down, which is already a big problem with me. If I'm going to get put on a methylphenidate med, I will not try Ritalin, I will ask for Focalin. I have great insurance, generic for 30 pills of anything costs $3, brand for 30 pills of anything costs $9, so I get my meds for $12 a month, so paying for brand Focalin will not be a problem. The problem is, I really need my afternoon med, and I can't go a month on a crappy med. I hear pretty good reviews about Focalin, but much better reviews about Desoxyn. I'd rather have the security of knowing that the med has about a 95% chance of working for me, compared to probably 70-75% for Focalin. I really want to just give Desoxyn a one month trial, and if doesn't work, I'm probably going to be on Focalin for the rest of my life. Why have Ritalin when Focalin is available is my opinion, well only because I have good insurance. Is brand name Ritalin even available any more?

I just made a list of IR meds I have yet to try-only stimulants. I do not want to switch to a non-stimulant, Strattera was horrible. The only available IR stimulants I can try is: Ritalin, Focalin, Desoxyn.

sterling818
03-15-11, 02:27 AM
Oh great. That is the last thing I need, to be sedated! I have difficulty on my own trying to remain awake and get things done.

Bummer, I paid $240 for 60 pills and now I'm stuck with them, Uggg.

I will talk to my Dr. to see if experimenting with the dose might make a difference. It seems some receive benefit from 2.5mg of desoxyn and others have success with taking 20mg.

I've only been on Dex for a month so I don't think I've built up tolerance.

I just started taking Desoxyn and the sedation wore off after a few days. I'd give it a week or so. My experience so far has been very similar to Dexadrine except it has almost no side effects at all for me except insomnia. With Dexedrine I got severe dry mouth to the point that it was starting to effect my teeth (more cavities, gums receeding, etc.). It also could make me jittery.
So far, Desoxyn has been very smooth for me, which is a relief after having so much trouble with crashing and side effects on other meds. Your mileage may vary, of course.

twinch42085
03-21-11, 02:15 AM
If I'm on 15 mg Dex Spansule in the AM and 5 mg Dex in the PM, would I simply get a prescription for 5 mg Desoxyn in the PM, advised to take it whole, or to take half, because I hear d-methamp is 2x as potent as d-amp? Thank you.

Enantiomerical pure Dextro-Amphetamine is more potent than racemic amphetamine, and is similar to racemic methamphetamine, except not as potent, and less neurotoxic

I took Desoxyn once. I was to take a daily total amount of 20mg of Desoxyn. (one 5mg tablet taken 4 times daily).

I found it to be worse than any other stimulant I had taken in my past. The side effects for me were loss of appetite and extreme insomnia. Yeah it did help with my ADD, but not as well as the Dexedrine does. (I take 40mg of Dexedrine a day)

You would start at 5mg and titrate. i read that the average dosage was between 20-25mg.

Naussicaa
03-23-11, 03:47 AM
Why would you want this? You're bound to get better effects using more of one, you're probably not taking enough of Dexedrine, or Desoxyn. I'd try out more of either one than mixing them, thats just not something a doctor will want you to do, look at how few people take Ritalin and Adderall together.