View Full Version : For the First Time. . .

JollyBadger
11-13-08, 11:25 PM
When I began to suspect that I might have ADD, I specifically sought out a psychologist, rather than a psychiatrist, to do the testing. It wasn't medication I was interested in. . .just wanted a diagnosis and the therapy aspect of it, because I was having trouble at work because of many of the ADD symptoms.

Fast forward to now. . .I've been diagnosed (as of August this year), then lost my job mid-October, but still seeing the same psychologist for ongoing therapy. When I first went to see her, even before the testing, I told her that I was not really seeking to be medicated. . .she said she's not necessarily anti-med, but she thinks there are other ways of managing ADD. So, we never really addressed the topic beyond that.

Today, however, I had an appointment with her. At one point she asked me a question - a very simple question - about how long it takes me to get from my home to the career transition/training center I've signed on with. Rather than answer the question, somehow I started talking about the first time I tried to go there, got directions from Mapquest and ended up driving circles in a business park when the career center was in a building on the other side of the street. My doctor interrupted me and asked (not rudely) "did you hear the question?"

We both sort of chuckled at the ADD moment. . .because I DID hear the question. . .and I also meant to answer it. . .just got sidetracked on the way there. Then she kind paused and said that maybe I should consider trying medication. . .especially in this phase of seeking work and possibly taking a home-study course for a new career.

I still have some mixed feelings, though the fact that she suggested it is enough to make me consider giving it a shot. Obviously, since she's a psychologist she cannot write a prescription. There is a psychiatrist at her office but it's hard to get an appointment with him.

Has anyone had their regular family/GP prescribe their medication for ADD? My GP already has me on Lexapro for depression, and I told him about the ADD diagnosis but that (at the time) I didn't seek to be medicated for it. Is it even worth asking him to write me a prescription for it, or put my name on the waiting list to see the psychiatrist instead?

DesertDave
11-14-08, 02:17 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has ADD moments at the Doc's. I had one last time where he asked me something, I started answering and went off on some tangent. Then I realized I'd forgotten his question. So I just said "I'm sorry, I don't know where I was going with this".

To your question, I don't see any harm in at least asking your GP about it. You might be very, very lucky and he's somehow familiar with it. He might also trust your judgement enough. I asked mine about it and he said he wasn't familiar enough with it to be helpful and suggested a psychiatrist.

Kimalimah
11-16-08, 10:14 AM
I agree with DesertDave. It depends on your doc. If they have some basic knowledge and the confirmation of diagnosis from you psychologist, they may be comfortable writing a Rx. However, they may not be up on all the possible medications if they don't work with ADHD on a regular basis (either with adults or kids). It really depends a lot on your relationship with them and their comfort/knowledge level, I guess.

I know seeing a psychiatrist can be a real pain and expensive, if you don't have insurance coverage. If you have to, it may be that after getting everything set up and stabalized your regular doctor would be willing to take over the rest. Just a thought.

Imnapl
11-16-08, 11:15 AM
My son was assessed and diagnosed with ADHD by an educational psychologist. My son took a copy of her report to his family doctor who then prescribed medication.

goddessonahiway
11-16-08, 11:33 AM
It has taken me YEARS to finally try meds. YEARS. I can understand fully where you are. Except for me I had expressed to my daughter's therapist all the reasons I don't believe in medicating ADHD.

I just started Adderall XR yesterday. My log is here: http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=663720#post663720

I'm not saying Adderall is the best choice for YOU. I don't even know if it's best for ME yet. I just figured it might be helpful to know what it's like only a few steps ahead of where you are right now. If you need someone to chat with, PM me.

Best of luck to you. I'm sending good vibes. It is a powerful thing (at least for me) to know others have been in your proverbial shoes.

Johnny123
11-24-08, 07:03 AM
Well i see my G.P before i see a psychologist and he already put me on 'edronax' which i hate the side effects of.

blink
11-25-08, 06:27 AM
what is edronax? what is it supposed to do?

blink
11-25-08, 06:33 AM
In my experience, it is best to get your meds from a psychiatrist. They know the condition, they are the most educated and experienced at medication management for the condition.

Imnapl
11-25-08, 10:23 AM
A.K.A. reboxitine (http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000891.html) which is an anti-depressant.

blink
11-25-08, 04:41 PM
Thanks apple. That has been my experience. Gps tend to jump right to depression and anti-depressants when you mention add symptoms. Even when you mention mood issues aren't an issue. First thing my psychiatrist did after listening and talking with me is to take me off zoloft.

TygerSan
11-27-08, 12:49 AM
what is edronax? what is it supposed to do?

It's very similar to Straterra. . . like Imnapl said, it's an antidepressant, which was approved in Europe, but didn't pass the FDA's standards for efficacy.

Johnny123
11-29-08, 04:48 AM
It's very similar to Straterra. . . like Imnapl said, it's an antidepressant, which was approved in Europe, but didn't pass the FDA's standards for efficacy.

well it got into australia and i'm gonna be frank with my doctor and ask for something better. It's made me worse i say, i sometimes get a feeling where i dont want to go somewhre and my brain is overloading to the point where i have to lie down, like when coordinating what i need to bring when going out i freaked out so badly and didnt endup going and lied down with eyes wide open.

Cowboy
12-03-08, 10:59 AM
Audrey,

Yesterday I had an appt with the psychologist. He also asked if I did anything about the medication issue yet. It is funny becuase I had a few ADD Moments there as well.

Anyway, he suggested seeing my Primary Care Doctor for the medication if the doctor was comfortable with prescribing. He is suggesting trying Vvyanse first. I am still a bit up in the air about the whole medication thing and have not made an appt yet. The psychologist did offer to consult with my regular doctor on the medication doses etc and is willing to help with the monitoring of the + & - of medication to try to make me more comfortable. He runs an ADD Clinic here locally. I am pretty lucky to have that resource only 15 - 20 minutes from home.

Hope all is well with you, let me know how it goes.

Ryan

mctavish23
12-05-08, 11:38 PM
Cowboy,

I'm impressed with the feedback from the psychologist.

It's well thought out.

Remember, there's no test for ADHD. Zero.

The genetic contribution for ADHD is .97.

That's greater than human height ( .81) or IQ (.55).

Stimulant medication for the treatment of ADHD Combined Type & Hyperactive -Impulsive type, has an effective track record for efficacy.

ADHD PI type also reportedly benefits as well, but not as robust.

It's a moot point here, as meds are approriate and work ( assuming it's the right one for you).

Vyvanse is the first PRO Drug (i.e, outside the body it's a not a stimulant.It only becomes one after it metabolizes in the stomach).

I hope things work out well for you and that,whatever decision you make, it "feels right."

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)