View Full Version : Generic Focalin

elegy
11-15-08, 12:19 AM
Has anyone else taken the generic Focalin? If so, did you notice any differences between the generic and name brand?

Unfortunately, I've had to switch to the generic, because my insurance company doesn't want to fork up the money for 210 brand name Focalin pills a month. I don't blame them, honestly. Previously I have had to settle for the Teva generics, and noticed a difference instantly. They upset my stomach wayyyy more than Focalin, and I find them to be less effective.

I haven't been able to find much information on experiences with the generic, so any input is much appreciated. :)

Contrapunctus
11-15-08, 12:49 AM
Yikes, you are on 70mg Focalin? That is quite abit (equal to 140mg of d,l-MPH!). I am curious, how do you split up that dosage? Do you have BPD (i.e Lamictal)?

Anyways, no I have not noticed a difference in generic versus brand focalin, they appear to be essentially the same. However, the differences might be more apparent for someone taking 7 tablets per day!

elegy
11-16-08, 06:02 PM
Yikes, you are on 70mg Focalin? That is quite abit (equal to 140mg of d,l-MPH!). I am curious, how do you split up that dosage?

3 tabs in the morning, 3 tabs early afternoon, 1 tab late afternoon.

Do you have BPD (i.e Lamictal)?

Depends on who you ask and what day it is. I have about 5 diagnoses floating around on my papers at the moment, I just say I'm my own kind of crazy. :cool:

Needless to say, I am looking for a new prescribing doc...

MGDAD
11-19-08, 03:08 PM
Why don't you do a Focalin XR in the morning with a single short acting tab in the afternoon?

PROcrastination
12-11-08, 04:30 AM
Has anyone else taken the generic Focalin? If so, did you notice any differences between the generic and name brand?

Unfortunately, I've had to switch to the generic, because my insurance company doesn't want to fork up the money for 210 brand name Focalin pills a month. I don't blame them, honestly. Previously I have had to settle for the Teva generics, and noticed a difference instantly. They upset my stomach wayyyy more than Focalin, and I find them to be less effective.

I haven't been able to find much information on experiences with the generic, so any input is much appreciated. :)

I am queen of Focalin experimentation here. (Prescribed, of course).

In my experience, generic Focalin just does not work well for me. I actually was taking that before trying the brand name Focalin and was about ready to give up on Focalin entirely. But then I went to a different pharmacy for some reason, and they just happen to dispense brand name Focalin, and it worked SO much better that now I am still taking it.

For me, the generic seemed to be weaker, wear off faster, and seemed less "clean" (which I realize is a very vague term). I seemed to build a tolerance to it very quickly, over a period of only a couple/few weeks, so that I had to take it 7 times/day (every 2 1/4 hours) because I was honest to God getting so spaced-out if I didn't. I was taking a very small amount (two 2.5 mg pills) for each dose. Although that dose is very low, it did work for almost 4 hours at first.

Anyway, with the brand name Focalin I am now taking 7.5 mg, 4 times/day (every 3.75 hours, yes, I know that's weird, but every 4 hours wasn't enough) and it works very well. I have a super-fast metabolism so I have had to just get used to taking pills several times a day. The only problem with this regimen is that since the pills aren't splittable, I have to buy two prescriptions to cover the dose. My insurance doesn't cover it either, technically (it's not on the formulary), but my pdoc was willing to put in a special request and it was honored. If you haven't tried already, maybe your pdoc would be willing to put in a request for you?

Re: the Focalin XR suggestion someone else made. I have nothing against Focalin XR per se, but I put in several months on it and have concluded that I just can't take it. The afternoon "drop-off" was so significant that I felt worse than on no ADD meds at all and had to take a couple-hour nap. Adding a second dose in the afternoon helped me for a grand total of one day, and then it never worked the same way again. At one point my pdoc told me to take the XR THREE times a day because I seemed to be metabolizing it so fast, but that was pure hell. (Don't ever do that, no matter who tells you to!!!) Could not sleep, very depressed the next day. And it didn't help with the attention. In my case, I realized that although the first dose had worn off functionally, enough of it was still in my system to mess with the next dose(s).

OK, so I just realized I misread MGDAD's comment about Focalin XR but have put so much energy into crafting the above paragraph:rolleyes: that I am just going to leave it there.

Oh, btw I also take generic Lamictal (lamotrigine) 150 mg, for BP, which is a very recent diagnosis for me :):( and Strattera 40 mg (Strattera is God, but that's a topic for another forum). I'm also my own crazy and floating between a million different doctors and diagnoses. Hey, maybe we have the same doctor!:cool: