View Full Version : Anyone read these books for organizing tips?

Manoa
11-16-08, 02:41 PM
I saw this one in a store and it looked pretty good. Very easy to follow:

4 Weeks to an Organized Life with AD/HD by Jeffrey Freed

But Amazon also has these which look interesting ...

Organizing Solutions for People With Attention Deficit Disorder: Tips and Tools to Help You Take Charge of Your Life and Get Organized by Susan C Pinsky

The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents by Nancy A. Ratey

What did you think?

elegy
12-02-08, 04:11 PM
Organizing Solutions for People With Attention Deficit Disorder: Tips and Tools to Help You Take Charge of Your Life and Get Organized by Susan C Pinsky

I have this book, and I'm glad I found it! It's a very straightforward, to-the-point, step by step guide to organizing different rooms in the house, as well as a small section about personal organization.

It's definitely not the only book you'll ever need, but it's a great book to add to the collection. If I'm struggling to get started on household organization, or get fed up with the chaos in a room, I can grab this book and have a plan of action. I'm the kind of person who needs tasks plotted out, planned out, written down, broken down, and thoroughly explained to not get overwhelmed and to start AND finish whatever needs to be done.

Organizing Solutions for People with Attention Deficit Disorder also has basic steps that can be applied to other tasks/projects that aren't specifically written in the book. It provides an outline of sorts, that can be applied to most things you find yourself faced with. The lay out of the book is so ADD-friendly, it almost brings tears of joy to my eyes. Why can't ALL books be compiled like this?!

tnhybrid
03-27-09, 10:43 PM
I've looked at some others, but I have to tell you, this book by Peter Walsh:

http://www.amazon.com/Its-All-Too-Much-Living/dp/0743292650

("It's All Too Much") has made a difference in my life. It's hard to describe why it's so great...mostly it addresses a lot of the psychological reasons we hold onto things, why we can't dispose of them, etc.

Seriously. This has just been an insanely difficult area of life for me personally. Upon reading the book and thinking on things, I a.) threw away A LOT of stuff, because more items to maintain = exponentially more difficulty for me to stay on top of things, and b.) I set up a lot of new household systems. For example, a lot of my clutter resulted from my simply not putting things away because I'd forget where I put them, and either go into a panic or need to go buy replacements.

So! I bought a lot of clear drawers and boxes - now I can see where things are! It's a little more of a cluttered look than many people enjoy, but at least with things in my little clear drawers they're not sitting out all over tabletops and on the floor.

I can't believe such a small change has helped so much, but it really did. What helps me is to get the boxes that have even clear lids and sides - so I can see more than one drawer or shelf at once. It's awesome.

Good luck, all - hybrid

RicardoBogie
11-12-13, 04:13 PM

What did you think?

Susan Pinsky's book is replete with photos of how it should be done. Very detailed and yet she wants you to not overdo it.

She understands ADD: her daughter was diagnosed in the fourth grade.

This book is about as ADD-friendly as it gets:
Tons of pictures and illustrations.
Lots of bulleted text.
Easy to read steps.
Texts in post-it style.

The whole organizing philosophy is in function of making ADD easier to live and thrive with.

I read some tips which were unique: some new twists as well.

She covers each room and breaks it down even further.

Definitely worth looking into if you have difficulty getting and staying organized.