View Full Version : Lumosity - is it wort paying for?

mrsmith
11-17-08, 07:40 AM
Have done the free trial 3 times.
Would like to have an idea about
If it is worth paying for a subscription? and,
If I take a monthly subscription, if it is easy to stop it or freeze it? (stop it for a few months and then continue).

The idea is to do it intensively for one month, and then stop and do something else, probably n-back.

Lumosity seems quite general, and from other posts it seems better to do a concentrated effort with something narrow like Cogmed or n-back consistently in periods.

(Though if you compare the price to for example Cogmed, it might be wort continuing just to have an independent measure of the progress)

TJake
11-17-08, 03:21 PM
Lumosity is worthwhile if you are able to stick to the training program consistently. They have good working memory training games and seem to add new games regularly. You can pace yourself or they have planned exercise programs that you follow.

I don't know if they give an option to freeze the account, but I didn't have any problems cancelling my account. After a few months I was not using it regularly so I cancelled. The $10/month is relatively cheap if have the time and motivation to stick with it.

FrazzleDazzle
11-17-08, 10:15 PM
I also signed up for Lumosity a while back, and I had no problems cancelling either. I just re-signed up again though, I feel that I need to brush up and maintain the skills I gained on there. It's not nearly as intense as a program like CogMed, but you can certainly work on there for as long as you like, I usually do each game 2-3 times in a row each session.

TJake
11-18-08, 01:13 PM
I agree with Frazzle. It's also a nice way to refresh and maintain working memory.

Games like Brain Age, might be more cost effective for long term use, but then you have to purchase a game console.

alphalpha
05-26-09, 08:43 AM
well i dont know how difficult or easy it is to cancel...what I did was to change the card id that is stored in the website to a wrong one..so that next time when it tries to renew..it will have to ask me whether the card is right or wrong..and i can deny giving my actual card no..if I dont want to renew...

alphalpha
05-26-09, 08:44 AM
also for those of you who are on lumosity..whats your bpi...i am at 905..and subscribed yesterday...my percentile is pathetic...i am below 40 percentile of the people using lumosity...

steven d
05-27-09, 05:46 AM
Is the program actually effective? Does it change anything very much? Is it worth the time?

Just some questions. I read about lumosity before but I'm not sure I would participate because ofcourse it's time-consuming and I'm not sure if it would contribute to good "brain health" very much.

alphalpha
05-27-09, 11:11 PM
well they do have some significant research results....however they are results which they did themselves...and was not probably independently verified by any third party....

http://www.lumosity.com/info/science/results

alphalpha
05-28-09, 03:52 AM
in a recent study done at Stockholm Brain Institute, the founders of CogMed found that brain training can change the dopamine concentration and brain chemistry. The paper published by Science can be found here:

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/323/5915/800
(this requires a subscription)

A more lay man type of article can be found here:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090206081507.htm

TJake
05-31-09, 02:07 PM
Working memory training has been very useful for me. Lumosity is one option but it really depends on how motivated you can be in sticking with the training. I did some training on Lumosity a while back, while trying to duplicate the Cogmed training program on my own. I have written up some of the notes on the Cogmed thread (see link in my signature).

Some WM training programs (similar to Cogmed) require you to do WM training for at least 45 minutes a day for 5 days a week for 5 weeks. This is not an easy thing to do without someone to help motivate you. So that is one reason I would recommend Cogmed over this type of DIY training.

After doing WM training, I noticed that my alertness had noticeably improved. I no longer feel tired when I get up in the morning. It seem that I'm alert no matter what time I get up. Now this makes sense to me given that WM training increases dopamine production (see alphaalpha's link in previous post).

Another option for WM training is The Brain Fitness Program by Posit Science. I saw very noticeable improvements in my WM memory after doing it.

The main improvments I saw with WM training are better memory and alertness. I also feel a more focused but this was not as noticeable. As good as the results have been, it's best to think of WM training as just one piece of the puzzle.

ric7729
12-16-11, 11:24 PM
also for those of you who are on lumosity..whats your bpi...i am at 905..and subscribed yesterday...my percentile is pathetic...i am below 40 percentile of the people using lumosity...

dont worry about that i started at 853. Its about how much your willing to invest in it. im now at 1240 with a percentage better than 76% of people. My aim is to get my overall to 90% and i think i can do it but its not going to come easy and in a sense it shouldnt. btw my lumosity points are at 2070 to give you an idea of how much i ve used it over 2 months. It brings out my competitive nature and im really into self tracking and the quantified self movement so maby thats just me. I do believe it is helping me and its interesting to see how things affect your score. e.g. medication, lack of sleep, rec. drug use, feeling tired etc.

i havent regretted my yearly subscription at all i just wish they would have more variety in the games for the courses.

steveman
03-04-12, 12:21 AM
I've been doing lumosity full subscribed for almost a year now. my thoughts on lumosity are the following:

1)It's absolutely improved my ability to remember the names of new people I meet. I used to take three times meeting someone. Now after the first time I remember 99% of the time.
2) I'm in the 98th percentile on lumosity, and I know I'm really the not a genius (IQ 117, (high average) Maybe less intelligent people are doing lumosity, or maybe I'm just good at the games.
3) I can't say that I'm any smarter after all the work I've put in. I'm not putting it out of the relm of possibility. I've gotten better at the games. But so would anyone. The real question is whether or not these improvements generalize to real life activities outside the specific tasks seen on Lumosity. I think we all hope the answer is yes.
4)I've been doing the dual n back for a round a month now. I might be remembering things I hear better...not sure if thats my imagination.

ConcertaParent
04-28-12, 09:12 PM
Since three different medication so far have not worked well for my 10-year old ADHD daughter, we are considering supplemental treatments. Has anybody here found Lumosity.com (or any brain software) to be helpful and worthwhile for their ADHD child? Has anybody tried the Lumosity ADHD (http://www.lumosity.com/courses/lumosity-adhd) experimental 40-session course?

ConcertaParent
08-16-12, 04:27 PM
I am trying out a one-month Lumosity membership for my now 11-year old daughter with ADHD, dyscalculia, etc. Her overall BPI is only 343, in the bottom 17%. :( How do I make the most out of Lumosity, e.g.,

1) First do ALL 16 assessments and brain grade test?
2) Do the ADHD 40-session course within 30 days?
3) Try to do the Math Tutor course?
4) Redo all the assessments to see improvements?

Yaaziel
08-30-12, 01:51 PM
This thread would indicate that it is of questionable worth:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125254

PookDo
08-30-12, 04:00 PM
I plan on signing back up when I get paid.helped me a lot with focus and awareness. That and I think things like Lumosity help you or anyone stay sharp.It's there give it a shot.People that bash things like Lumosity are just making excuses in my opinion

ConcertaParent
08-30-12, 04:52 PM
I'm also hoping against hope that Lumosity ADHD, etc. will improve my child's ADHD when school starts. There are better free alternatives than spending money on Lumosity to try to help you stay sharp.

If you really want to pay for Lumosity, you can wait for one of their regular 35% off email offers or 40% discount on your birthday. Good luck to both of us! I plan on signing back up when I get paid.helped me a lot with focus and awareness. That and I think things like Lumosity help you or anyone stay sharp.

Drewbacca
08-31-12, 03:33 PM
I plan on signing back up when I get paid.helped me a lot with focus and awareness. That and I think things like Lumosity help you or anyone stay sharp.It's there give it a shot.People that bash things like Lumosity are just making excuses in my opinion

Is it worthwhile... perhaps.
Is it worth paying for... probably not.

This isn't bashing, it's spending my money wisely and in places that are more likely to benefit me. I'm not sure how this is an excuse, but, it is your opinion.

PookDo
09-05-12, 09:07 PM
Is it worthwhile... perhaps.
Is it worth paying for... probably not.

This isn't bashing, it's spending my money wisely and in places that are more likely to benefit me. I'm not sure how this is an excuse, but, it is your opinion.

I apologize for that comment before. I guess I'm just frustrated because I want something to work to help with my ADHD and as of right now not a lot does

Drewbacca
09-06-12, 12:29 AM
No probs, I think most of us want that!
I mean, hey, if it's in your budget it won't hurt to try it out...

It's just, to me, it looks like it is mostly a marketing gimmick. But, if it helps someone, I'd be excited that something worked! :)

ConcertaParent
09-06-12, 05:20 PM
Did any of the Lumosity members ever try the "Math Tutor" course? Now that school has started and there is only a few hours of free time each weeknight, I'm thinking of stopping with that 40-session course for my child with dyscalculia. I have also stopped with the Khan Academy for now, and plan to just do the Lumosity ADHD course daily along with AttenGo every other day.

rek101
09-07-12, 08:31 PM
When leaving a comment, please consider a life outcome like income, grades, life stress, productivity in activities you care about, Etc.

If you try something for a few weeks, stick with it and don't notice an actual life improvement (and remembering phone numbers is not a life improvement unless someone finds a way to turn that skill into something anyone gives a cr.p about), then it's worthless.

As someone who has accomplished a lot and considers ADHD an advantage in many respects and a liability in some respects, I'd like to know how these programs are effecting peoples grades, incomes, and personal relationships. Those are three things that planet earthlings use to measure success in activities that matter.

Drewbacca
09-10-12, 01:05 AM
I'd like to know how these programs are effecting peoples grades, incomes, and personal relationships. Those are three things that planet earthlings use to measure success in activities that matter.

Me too! But, it's hard to objectively measure these things in general. Personal experience is even more prone to bias and inconclusive results.

I think it is important to be as critical and skeptical as possible, especially when we are discussing a for-profit company.

That said, it is also important to give the benefit of the doubt to any members claiming success with a system... whether it be luminosity, fish-oil, habit-forming, or even wearing a shoe on the wrong foot. There is nothing wrong with being critical, so long as we all keep in mind that this is a support forum. If luminosity helps a single person on this forum, then it was worth discussing. I think it has much more potential helping someone with learning-anxiety than it does alleviating the symptoms of adhd...

Anyways, I'm getting off track. I agree, it would be interesting to hear details concerning how any fix helps with grades, income, relationships, etc. Of course, you have to try the fix before you can provide those details. The purpose of these forums may not be to conduct studies, but it is nice to be able to share experiences.

ConcertaParent
09-12-12, 07:50 PM
Do the Lumosity members perform better when you retake the 16 assessments? My child is only at 25% in BPI, 21% in memory and 23% in attention. At least she improved in 9 of the assessments, 4 worse, and 3 the same.
im now at 1240 with a percentage better than 76% of people.

Drewbacca
09-12-12, 08:59 PM
As with anything, I'd expect that you'd get better with more practice. The question is whether the Lumosity training has real world applications or just makes you better at Lumosity.

Jermaine23
02-19-13, 06:47 AM
I also finalized up for Lumosity a while returning, and I had no issues closing either. I just re-signed up again though, I think that I need to sweep up and sustain the abilities I obtained on there. It's not nearly as extreme as a system like CogMed, but you can certainly perform on there for provided that you like, I usually do each activity 2-3 periods in a row each period.

ConcertaParent
02-19-13, 01:01 PM
I had difficulty understanding your post, but are you saying that Lumosity significantly improved your ADHD the first time and you are paying for it again?
I also finalized up for Lumosity a while returning, and I had no issues closing either. I just re-signed up again though, I think that I need to sweep up and sustain the abilities I obtained on there. It's not nearly as extreme as a system like CogMed, but you can certainly perform on there for provided that you like, I usually do each activity 2-3 periods in a row each period.

dasikins
02-21-13, 05:21 PM
I actually really enjoyed it. I don't know what type of results you are planning on obtaining, but it gave my mind something to do when I needed a break or was frustrated.

I felt like it really improved my speech through my thought process (why I don't know.) I was able to realize I had severe anxiety when the games became quicker. Then I was able to work on that aspect.

Idiota
02-27-13, 07:34 PM
Hell, I did Cogmed and it really wasn't worth it, so I'm going to say Lumosity is probably less worth it.

ConcertaParent
02-27-13, 09:47 PM
Did you get any benefits from Cogmed, or was it just not worth the ~$2,000 cost? Hell, I did Cogmed and it really wasn't worth it, so I'm going to say Lumosity is probably less worth it.

Idiota
03-03-13, 07:38 AM
Did you get any benefits from Cogmed, or was it just not worth the ~$2,000 cost?

zero benefits especially months after. it wasn't worth it and i feel like a sack of **** for having my mom foot the bill.

amiegrace
03-08-13, 12:03 AM
I started Lumosity on a whim because I had been reading a lot about neuroplasticity and I felt it would be worth a try.

When I tried it out two years ago, my bpi was a 306. Totally horrible! However, I don't play any type of computer game and never have, so I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Plus, I wasn't on medication. I don't have a low IQ, so I believe that most of it was due to impairments associated with my ADD.

When I started a month ago, my bpi was a 563. It is now a 910. I have noticed improvements in my ability to do mental math, remembering where I put things, focusing, and organization -- all of the sudden all of the papers on my desk at work are organized and paper clipped, while a month ago it was utter chaos. I just realized this a few days ago -- I'm more organized without intentionally doing it. Also, I have noticed that I park better (it's never been my strength). I signed up for a year for like $70. I think it's way worth it, but I've never tried any other program.

I've heard of CogMed but 2000 bucks is way out of my price range.

Drewbacca
03-08-13, 02:30 AM
Careful, a higher "BPI" only means that you are better at performing tasks given to you by Luminosity. Studies have shown that Luminosity improves a patient's ability to use Luminosity... what studies have not shown, is that the benefits translate into any real world improvement.

Then again, if the only thing it does is improve self-confidence... that's probably worth a year's subscription in of itself.

ConcertaParent
03-08-13, 05:59 PM
Some snake oil cures have a placebo or Pygmalion effect, but they are still ripping off people desperate to see improvement. I think the only other thing that it may improve is that the subscriber learns that it's called "Lumosity" while everybody else keeps calling it "Luminosity." :)... Luminosity. Studies have shown that Luminosity improves a patient's ability to use Luminosity... what studies have not shown, is that the benefits translate into any real world improvement.

Then again, if the only thing it does is improve self-confidence... that's probably worth a year's subscription in of itself.

lcolby
04-03-14, 05:55 PM
Idiota, would you be willing to discuss your experience with Cogmed with a reporter?

I am working on an article about the software and would like to speak with people who have used it. My email is: MOD NOTE: email address removed for privacy and safety reasons. Please use in-forum Email or the PM system.

Jenn1202
04-27-14, 03:50 AM
I tried Lumosity and it helped my memory a little. Unfortunately, it did nothing for my attention and processing speed in real life, even though my Lumosity scores kept increasing. I also lost interest after a few months and failed to stick to it.