View Full Version : Focalin/depression?

tnhybrid
11-18-08, 06:55 PM
Hmmm. I know this is a common effect from methyphenidate, but I'd been hoping to avoid trouble with the Focalin variety.

However, I'm finding I'm having trouble doing much. All I really want to do is sit on the sofa, which frankly is not really conducive to my getting anything done.

Anyone else have this problem? Did it eventually blow over?

kwalk
11-18-08, 07:20 PM
do you already have depression? If not, I might know what you mean. Ya feel "different" ritalin Ir back in the day made me kinda moody, but did fine on concerta. I know when I tried it again last march, I felt kinda robotic.

Um if you feel just kind of on the lazy side, maybe try to push yourself to do something you like, and make it a routine. It's easier to push on things you like, and sometimes that leads to making you feel more motivated to do other things.

tnhybrid
11-19-08, 12:48 AM
No, I'm not already depressed and have no real history of it (well, for a while after my dad died, which is a whole 'nother story).

I understand a lot of people get that 'robotic' feeling.

I think I'm gonna call pdoc tomorrow. I think I might have got into 'confusion/hallucination' territory earlier...and I'm taking such an absurdly small dose. I pretty well have done nothing but sit on the couch for two or three days, have not changed clothes or showered, which is REALLY REALLY not like me. (I'm self employed, so this ain't gonna work for long.)

Oh well. A lot of people say it takes 'em a while to find out what they can take, eh?

Cheers! :)

elegy
11-19-08, 04:35 AM
No, I'm not already depressed and have no real history of it (well, for a while after my dad died, which is a whole 'nother story).

I understand a lot of people get that 'robotic' feeling.

I think I'm gonna call pdoc tomorrow. I think I might have got into 'confusion/hallucination' territory earlier...and I'm taking such an absurdly small dose. I pretty well have done nothing but sit on the couch for two or three days, have not changed clothes or showered, which is REALLY REALLY not like me. (I'm self employed, so this ain't gonna work for long.)

Oh well. A lot of people say it takes 'em a while to find out what they can take, eh?

Cheers! :)

Some people(this includes you, heh) are very sensitive to medications. Even though the vast majority of people may not have a side effect that you experience, it doesn't mean YOU aren't experiencing it. Just read the P.I. sheet - "it is not known how this drug works in the brain" is right there. Psychiatric drugs are tricky little buggers.

Debilitating depression is not a side effect you should have to put up with, so I back ya 110% with calling your pdoc. It really does take a while to find the right med, along with a lot of experimenting, tweaking, fine-tuning, and flat out failure. Don't be discouraged - you've battled ADD your entire life, and you can sure as hell make it through the failed meds to find the one that finally works. :) Don't give up.

BTW If you're hallucinating, even in the mildest form, please do not take one more dose of the Focalin!

tnhybrid
11-20-08, 02:49 PM
Thanks so much! Yeah, I deffo. think this one isn't for me. Without getting into harrowing details - because this probably won't happen for most folks on Focalin - I got so depressed and anxious so quickly that it was really frightening. So I quit, and now am working up the nerve to call up pdoc and move up my next appointment, with the bad news there's something else I really can't take. I may try a REALLY small dose, like 1 mg, just to rule that out, but I really don't want to start playing games with my mental health here.

Just wanting to be where I don't eat sugar and drink Cokes all day just to stay awake, you know? But geez, this side effect jazz is no fun.

Here's hoping for better luck for others who try this stuff.

steven d
11-23-08, 03:04 PM
Yes I have this problem too.

I may have a possible solution:

I drink soy milk in the morning. It reduces the metabolism of Ritalin. It causes me to have less "crash" symptoms/ depression/ pessimism. It also appears to make Ritalin work better. It feels "cleaner".

mystery
11-30-08, 09:04 PM
What dosage are you on? Does it induce depression right away, or is that during the crash? You also mentioned anxiety; does this come on during the crash?

I personally experienced no benefit and pretty bad anxiety once on ritalin. I also felt agitated on focalin. I've since categorized my dosage response. It is like this for focalin and ritalin: agitated -> anxious -> focused -> more CNS stimulation with more focus. The trick is taking enough to induce focus, and an even higher dosage might be more helpful with more stimulation. Also, a higher dosage might cause tolerance to some bad sides, like anxiety.

I know it seems like whatever effect you've had on a low dosage will be amplified on a higher dosage, and I had this same preconception. Consider asking your doc about trying a higher dosage just to see what happens.

My problem was experiencing sides and going to a very low dosage because I was afraid of them being worse. A theory I have going (and this may sound far out) is that there is a repeating pattern with dosage response. Meaning the same pattern I posted above for ritalin would repeat at lower and lower dosages.

Just some thoughts.

P.S. 5 mg focalin taken 4 hrs ago at the time this post was written.

G252013
07-14-12, 02:18 PM
has anyone had success using the soy milk long term?

G252013
07-17-13, 07:35 PM
has anyone had success using the soy milk long term?

anybody?

bldt
07-19-13, 10:31 AM
anybody?

Hi,
You seem to be big on focalin xr.I just started A new thread in the general medication discussion category about just starting on it and was wondering if you would mind answering if it work longer as time went on or did the length never get any better then the first day.The reason why I ask is because my pdoc started me on 40mg a day and to see him in a month but i'm into the third day and it's lasted a total of at most 4 hrs each day.So I am hoping he made the appt in A month because with time the length would increase but I don't think that is the case with stimulants in that they are not like antidepressents.So again did last longer after you were taking it for a while?As I mentioned in the new thread I started I plan I calling him today but in the mean time I thought I would ask you or anyone else out there for thier input on this.
thanks in advance

livewire
07-20-13, 09:03 AM
Like Steven D, I started drinking a soy protein drink EVERY morning with my Focalin XR because it's really important to load up on protein in the a.m. for ADDers and soy does help. My meds were really hit or miss and I was also a permanent fixture on my couch, white knuckling that remote control, not getting out of the house, showering, etc. Not cool since I was going to school full time. Give it a try - hope this helps!

karbouris
07-21-13, 04:14 PM
I just started taking the 10MGS XR and all I do is sit around and stare at things.

livewire
07-21-13, 06:28 PM
I started on 10 mg. XR. Nothing. You are only getting 5mg. at first then another 5 mg. a few hours later. I take 30 mg. twice a day. Perfect. Been on that dose since Nov. 2012. I take 30 mg. at 6:00 a.m. and the other dose at 3:00 p.m. I am a full-time student (psychology major, go figure) and my days typically last from 6:00 - 1:00 (or later) in the morning.

Usually when I post that I take 60 mg. of Focalin XR a day I get a lot of "well meaning" alarming comments about taking such a high dose. Don't wanna hear it. Just sayin'. :eyebrow:

wgm923
08-10-13, 03:39 PM
I took focalin in 6th grade and while I did awesome in school, it made my social life hell. I had horrible social anxiety and actually had a problem with hair pulling. It was an emotional rollercoaster I would like to never experience again.

wgm923
08-11-13, 07:16 PM
I just started taking the 10MGS XR and all I do is sit around and stare at things.

So focused your zoning? wow lol