View Full Version : Why am I so Vulnerable to a common cold?

bandie08
11-25-08, 06:46 AM
This is the 3rd time I have gotten a cold this fall/winter. I haven't gotten the flu or a sinus infection. I have a strong immune system but why am I so vulnerable to a little cold. Is anyone else like this?

sarey
11-25-08, 07:13 AM
I'm like this
I always get the cold/flu
I have a bad immune system though

blueroo
11-25-08, 01:48 PM
The best preventative for the cold and flu is a sanitary environment. Is your environment clean? Do you wash your hands frequently? Do you share very close quarters with sick people?

EYEFORGOT
11-25-08, 03:00 PM
An ounce of prevention...

~I like "Airborne". I put it in a cup of hot water and sip at it like tea.
~Vinegar and a teaspoon of honey scares the germs away and boosts the immune system.
~Vitamin C, the same.
~Echniacia has had excellent results in scientific studies, in Europe I believe but I haven't googled the info.

~For a sanitary environment, instead of using Lysol, try spraying with a mixture of white vinegar and water...it disinfects and is anti-fungal, too.

~I carry those small bottles of anti-bacterial gel in my purse and put it on my kids hands, and mine when we go grocery shopping.

When all else fails and the fever or cruds happen anyway...my husband wraps up in about 3 layers, goes to bed, and sweats it out. Whereas I stay in a chair and whine. :D

*I'm not a health care provider, so this isn't official medical advice, just things to consider.*

sarek
11-25-08, 03:07 PM
Yep, happens all the time. Throughout the year I effortlessly alternate with an admirable smoothness between hay fever and common cold.
If its cold and wet, as soon as I walk outside, sure enough my nose starts to run.

stef
11-25-08, 05:34 PM
scarves and turtleneck sweaters !

xraylady33
11-25-08, 05:53 PM
The cold is just that, a virus...THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF STRAINS. My conclusion, you have not fully gotten rid of the initial virus, so it harbours...then reappears with different symptoms, some worse, some less.

We carry the virus in our HAIR...BEDDING..DUST...and much more.
If you are around anyone in healthlcare...it comes home on their clothes...shoes, and hair.
Wash your hands...rinse well around fingers...let the water flow downward. NEVER hold hands UP under faucet. Bleach toilet. Dry with DISPOSABLE towel. Never touch doorknob in public place, use paper towel. Drink fluids, ALL the time, and eat a healthy balance. I know it sounds so cliche' but so true.

If this continues..you need... bloodwork...CBC, and Chem 7, complete metabolic panel, this may answer questions.

x

flidais
12-01-08, 10:22 AM
This is the 3rd time I have gotten a cold this fall/winter. I haven't gotten the flu or a sinus infection. I have a strong immune system but why am I so vulnerable to a little cold. Is anyone else like this?

You know up until about 1.5 yrs ago I was the same way... For about 7 years after my kids were born I truly believe I was sick with about 8-10 viruses per year. It was bizarre.... Now I realize that the reason was a combination of things--first being exposed to the viruses from children in playgroups etc. but also due to stress. I was stressed being a new parent with two young kids and at the time I lived an isolated rural area that I was new to and felt very alone with no family or friends nearby. We moved back to a city I am familiar with and lo and behold I no longer get sick (or if I do it is every few mths and very mild symptoms vs. before where I felt very ill).

It sounds weird but apparently "social stress" in particular depresses and/or causes autoimmune dysfunctions so people who feel 'lonely' or social rejected or have relationships that are problematic will be sick much more often and their bodies will produce way more symptoms (do a google search on "social stress and immune function" if your interested)

So I believe doing things to alleviate the stress is the most important (i.e. moderate excercise/meditation/get enough sleep/ do things that you enjoy and get rid of anything you don't if possible\try to develop good friendships etc.)....

The other difference in my life is I now am not overweight and not eating tons of sugar and desserts and high carb diet etc. which apparently contributes to inflammation which increases symptoms from viruses etc.